Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who would you like to see honored for 2020 Summer Under the Stars?

32 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I wonder if COVID-19 has affected the offices at TCM? i would think it'd be pretty easy to sit 6' apart from one another while planning a schedule... and while I'm not sure what all goes into planning a schedule, it seems that people could possibly do this at home? 

Also, I would think they probably started working on ideas for this year's lineup before the virus struck in March. Yeah?

13 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Also, I would think they probably started working on ideas for this year's lineup before the virus struck in March. Yeah?

Maybe? I’m not really sure how long it takes them to put together a schedule. They seemed to take awhile with July. 

The longer it takes means maybe they’re leasing films for SUTS? 

I’m just guessing. I would think that scheduling would be an ongoing job. 

5 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Maybe? I’m not really sure how long it takes them to put together a schedule. They seemed to take awhile with July. 

The longer it takes means maybe they’re leasing films for SUTS? 

I’m just guessing. I would think that scheduling would be an ongoing job. 

Didn't someone post that the Backlot members are voting on two of this year's selections? But usually the rest of the schedule (the other 29 days) are made available. Then a bit later we find out about the Backlot picks.

Hopefully some of the August schedule info will come our way in the next week or two.

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Didn't someone post that the Backlot members are voting on two of this year's selections? But usually the rest of the schedule (the other 29 days) are made available. Then a bit later we find out about the Backlot picks.

Hopefully some of the August schedule info will come our way in the next week or two.

I posted re: the Backlot making selections. It’s Claudette Colbert versus Carole Lombard; and S.Z. Sakall versus Sydney Greenstreet. 

I hope the schedule comes out soon as well. SUTS is one of my favorite parts of the year. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I posted re: the Backlot making selections. It’s Claudette Colbert versus Carole Lombard; and S.Z. Sakall versus Sydney Greenstreet. 

I hope the schedule comes out soon as well. SUTS is one of my favorite parts of the year. 

Thanks. Yeah, that's right..it was you who posted about the Backlot choices. All four of them are great. But I'd probably go with Colbert and Sakall, since they worked at a variety of studios. Greenstreet's work is nearly all Warners and it airs often on TCM. I'd only choose Lombard if it meant they could bring in some of her Paramount precodes.

• Like 1

Donna Reed

Tyrone Power

Gene Tierney

Burt Lancaster

Silvia Sidney

Claude Rains

Helen Twelvetrees

Ray Milland

Virginia Bruce

James Cagney

Una Merkel

Richard Widmark

Marjorie  Main

Jeff Chandler

Linda Darnell

• Like 1
4 hours ago, garovick said:

Donna Reed

Tyrone Power

Gene Tierney

Burt Lancaster

Silvia Sidney

Claude Rains

Helen Twelvetrees

Ray Milland

Virginia Bruce

James Cagney

Una Merkel

Richard Widmark

Marjorie  Main

Jeff Chandler

Linda Darnell

I like the Helen Twelvetrees suggestion. And a lot of her RKO films are in the TCM library.

I'm a Jeff Chandler fan too.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I like the Helen Twelvetrees suggestion. And a lot of her RKO films are in the TCM library.

Unfortunately, Jeff Chandler did a lot of stuff with Universal, so we'll probably have a loooooong wait  there!  I've been barking up that tree for a while...would love to see 'Female On The Beach' on this network.  I haven't seen that film for over 40 years, and even then, it was just bits and pieces of it.  I've never seen it in its entirety.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, midwestan said:

Unfortunately, Jeff Chandler did a lot of stuff with Universal, so we'll probably have a loooooong wait  there!  I've been barking up that tree for a while...would love to see 'Female On The Beach' on this network.  I haven't seen that film for over 40 years, and even then, it was just bits and pieces of it.  I've never seen it in its entirety.

Yes it would be nice if they could find a way to get some of those Universal films. AMC used to show Female on the Beach. I might have a VHS copy of it that I made  over twenty tears ago.

• Like 1

I said this last year and I'd love to see Farley Granger picked as one day or even give him a night of his movies on a non SUTS day. TCM shows Strangers on a Train and Rope a lot which are good movies but there are many others I wish they'd show. But if they don't have the rights to air some of his films, I get that. Still if anyone who is working at TCM is lurking this thread this is what I'd like, it can be my late birthday gift! 😄

• Like 1
4 hours ago, TopBilled said:

We don't get to see much of Jeff Chandler on TCM. Broken Arrow once in awhile. And that's not very often. I'm not sure, you might remember, did they do a Sunday night double feature with him a few years ago?

19 minutes ago, garovick said:

We don't get to see much of Jeff Chandler on TCM. Broken Arrow once in awhile. And that's not very often. I'm not sure, you might remember, did they do a Sunday night double feature with him a few years ago?

I don’t remember. I’d have to go back and check the schedules.

• Like 1

While watching THE CONFESSIONS OF A NAZI SPY last night, I remembered how much I like Francis Lederer and would like to see him get a SUTS day.

• Like 2

Lots of great suggestions above.  I am tired of Bogie, Audrey Hepburn, Katherine Hepburn, Bette Davis, etc. rolled out every summer when many of the films shown are repeatedly on the schedule.

I like some of lesser known or character actors/actress.  Also, good directors.  It seems as TCM's tribute to Edward G. Robinson was after stay home.  

Examples:

Thelma Ritter

Felix Breshardt (sp?)

Jessica Tandy and Hume Cronyn

Dame May Witty

S. Z. Sakall (sp?)

Carl Reiner

Alan Arkin (Catch 22 and The Russians are Coming)

I am tired of not showing movies with some of the "recycled" stars that are rarely seen.  Also, do we really need 3 plus hour films in prime time?  For example, Robert Donat/Hitchcock:  show The 39 Steps and Notorious or Spellbound.  Haven't shown Rebecca in a while.  For Paul Newman, I would like to see some of his later films (e.g., The Color of Money or Mr. and Mrs. Bridge.

Also, numerous channels show The Lord of the Rings movies.  I'll pass on those.

• Thanks 1
On 5/29/2020 at 12:08 PM, Ellen Loskoski said:

L.Q. Jones

Deborah Kerr

Robert Mitchum

Good choices. I'd like to see more of Mitchum's later stuff. He made some excellent films in the 70s.

Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 7.26.29 PM

• Like 1
15 hours ago, sagebrush said:

I would like to see George Macready honored. I always thought he had such an interesting voice.

He's great as Nina Foch's demented "husband" in MY NAME IS JULIA ROSS (1945).

• Like 1

Well this is what was scheduled this year:

screen-shot-2017-05-03-at-4-26-21-pm.png
1    barbara stanwyck
2    rock hudson
3    rita hayworth
4    s.z. sakall (tcm backlot selection)
5    ann miller
6    burt lancaster
7    sylvia sidney
8    charlie chaplin
9    goldie hawn
10  norma shearer
11  sammy davis
12  lana turner
13  john barrymore
14  steve mcqueen
15  nina foch
16  cary grant
17  maureen o'hara
18  warren beatty
19  dolores del rio
20  william powell
21  diana dors
22  natalie wood
23  bette davis
24  george raft
25  anne shirley
26  laurence olivier
27  claudette colbert (tcm backlot selection)
28  paul henreid
29  eva marie saint
30  charlton heston
31  alain delon