Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who would you like to see honored for 2020 Summer Under the Stars?

• 1 month later...

I was just informed that Natalie Wood has been added to this year's schedule. She is replacing John Wayne on August 22nd.

brainstorm (1983)
the girl he left behind (1956)
penelope (1966)
sex and the single girl (1964)
rebel without a cause (1955)
inside daisy clover (1965)
this property is condemned (1966)
the searchers (1956)
love with the proper stranger (1963)
gypsy (1962)
the great race (1965)

• Thanks 1

I vaguely remember one actress was suddenly substituted for another last year. I kind of think Natalie Wood was either the "substituter" or "substituteee". Maybe they're making it up to her this year. TopBilled, sorry to say that means it looks like the Republic film Angel and the Badman won't be airing after all.

17 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I vaguely remember one actress was suddenly substituted for another last year. I kind of think Natalie Wood was either the "substituter" or "substituteee". Maybe they're making it up to her this year. TopBilled, sorry to say that means it looks like the Republic film Angel and the Badman won't be airing after all.

Yes, they bumped Natalie last year and replaced her with Rita Moreno. So now this year it's Natalie's turn to replace someone (in this case, John Wayne). 

Fortunately ANGEL AND THE BADMAN is in the public domain. Lots of good looking prints floating around online.  

• Thanks 1

Slightly off-topic, but has anyone noticed in the promo for this year's SUTS fest, Norma Shearer's name in misspelled as "Norma Sheer"? I couldn't believe it. It makes her sound like a burlesque queen. Doesn't anyone at the network preview their promos before they air? "Norma Sheer"? Come on, guys!

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, SadPanda said:

One of these years I would love to see a day dedicated to the films of Donald Sutherland.

Sutherland does have a very interesting film legacy,  playing all sorts of different type of characters,  showing a lot of range and various  shades of his acting persona.

Note that I like when I stumble onto an early T.V. performance of his;  E.g.  The Saint (he was on two episodes playing different characters).    

I like Donald a lot and I don't even drink orange juice.

• Like 2

I saw a "What A Character" segment today on John Qualen and it reminded me of how much I enjoy seeing him in films and think he would be a good choice.  Maybe next year....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQXeid7eq6Jsit-aQGb0y

On 6/12/2020 at 11:31 AM, TopBilled said:

Never heard of him.  Looking at his credits on the IMDb, I see he was in GIANT plus a slew of television programs in the 50s and 60s.

he was O.W. Schultz the suspenders salesman in The Spirit of st. louis.

"we hold up the pants of the middle west"

:)

• Like 1
On 7/15/2020 at 6:45 PM, TopBilled said:

I was just informed that Natalie Wood has been added to this year's schedule. She is replacing John Wayne on August 22nd.

brainstorm (1983)
the girl he left behind (1956)
penelope (1966)
sex and the single girl (1964)
rebel without a cause (1955)
inside daisy clover (1965)
this property is condemned (1966)
the searchers (1956)
love with the proper stranger (1963)
gypsy (1962)
the great race (1965)

Some of these are airing tomorrow, which makes me think tomorrow's schedule was made before they decided to give Natalie a day next month.

This is why some viewers complain about overplayed titles or programming that seems repetitive.

Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 1.23.05 PM.png