Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TopBilled

Who would you like to see honored for 2020 Summer Under the Stars?

5 hours ago, skimpole said:

Definitely Max von Sydow

It would certainly be a good way to give him a 24-hour memorial tribute, by adding him to the SUTS schedule.

11 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I like your list. And of course, I knew you'd include your man Robert Vaughn!

What films would you include for Eve Arden, since she was in so many great ones...?

Most likely Mildred Pierce and Grease. I'd also have to include Having Wonderful Time. I haven't seen that one yet, but Douglas Fairbanks Jr. is in it. So that one is a given in my book.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TopBilled said:

What films would you include for Eve Arden, since she was in so many great ones...?

I'm not really sure, but it usually seems a SUTS selection would be those who had a good choice of movies in which they had leading roles.  And I honestly don't know how many lead roles Eve had in movies.  But yeah, even her small bit and supporting character roles were often the best part of several movies.   and a slight highjack----

One of my favorite lines of Eve's was in MILDRED PIERCE when she, noticing JACK CARSON leering at her when she was adjusting a stocking while standing on a stool...

"Leave SOMETHING on me, I'll catch cold!"  :D 

Sepiatone

• Like 3

So many good suggestions here. Because the programmers usually work about six months ahead, this year's SUTS may already be planned. I'm glad so many people would like to see a tribute to Max von Sydow.

• Like 2

I understand TCM Programming is usually planning the programming for the network six to eight months in advance so I really don't think my two choices will be considered for this year's "Summer under the Stars".  They might be considered for the 2021 edition though if they agree in the leasing arrangements of their films:  Gene Hackman and Anthony Hopkins.  Both are  Oscar winning actors and they bring so much to their roles.  You forget who they are and believe they are actually the character they are portraying in the film. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, thomasterryjr said:

I understand TCM Programming is usually planning the programming for the network six to eight months in advance so I really don't think my two choices will be considered for this year's "Summer under the Stars".  They might be considered for the 2021 edition though if they agree in the leasing arrangements of their films:  Gene Hackman and Anthony Hopkins.  Both are  Oscar winning actors and they bring so much to their roles.  You forget who they are and believe they are actually the character they are portraying in the film. 

Didn't Gene Hackman have a day in the past couple of years? Or was he a Star of the Month?

21 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Didn't Gene Hackman have a day in the past couple of years? Or was he a Star of the Month?

Gene Hackman was SOTM in September 2016. He's never had a day in August.

I reckon the only issue with Max Von Sydow is choosing what movies to air for a possible SUTS Day.  He featured prominently in no shortage of movies.  Which ones does TCM pick?  And can they acquire the rights to them at a reasonable cost?  Or maybe they can locate a Public Domain film print of a movie or two of his that's in watchable condition. 

I thought of a few more:

Frank Morgan

Frank McHugh (he was in every other film produced in Hollywood from 1932 to 1935)

Allen Jenkins (he was in the films McHugh wasn’t in and all of the films McHugh was in)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, YourManGodfrey said:

I thought of a few more:

Frank Morgan

Frank Morgan is someone who could easily be Star of the Month. He was in a lot of films, and he had an illustrious stage career before the movies. Plus in addition to his famous role as the title character in THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939) he starred in many MGM programmers in the 1940s, when he wasn't providing support as a character actor in other stars' pictures.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I reckon the only issue with Max Von Sydow is choosing what movies to air for a possible SUTS Day.  He featured prominently in no shortage of movies.  Which ones does TCM pick?  And can they acquire the rights to them at a reasonable cost?  Or maybe they can locate a Public Domain film print of a movie or two of his that's in watchable condition. 

They would probably pick his Bergman collaborations and also the Greatest Story Ever Told and maybe Night Visitor as I definitely saw both on TCM before. I doubt they could get the rights to the Exorcist. 

3 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Frank Morgan is someone who could easily be Star of the Month. He was in a lot of films, and he had an illustrious stage career before the movies. Plus in addition to his famous role as the title character in THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939) he starred in many MGM programmers in the 1940s, when he wasn't providing support as a character actor in other stars' pictures.

That would be even better. An academy award nomination, starring roles in ‘lesser’ films, and great supporting roles in big films certainly demands some sort of recognition, right?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, YourManGodfrey said:

That would be even better. An academy award nomination, starring roles in ‘lesser’ films, and great supporting roles in big films certainly demands some sort of recognition, right?

I think it does, yes.

• Like 1

I’ve been lurking all weekend. I’ve been feeling under the weather (no I don’t have coronavirus) and I think I’m hopefully finally coming out of it. 

For SUTS, I’d like to see:

Edmond O’Brien

Paulette Goddard

Dorothy McGuire

Joan Leslie

Barry Sullivan

Ida Lupino

Ann Sheridan

Richard Conte

Zachary Scott

Eleanor Parker

Dane Clark

Gordon MacRae

Ann Blyth

Jack Carson

Charles Coburn

Arthur Kennedy

Don Ameche

Ralph Meeker

Rhonda Fleming

Dan Duryea

Alan Ladd

Claude Rains

Jean Harlow

Barbara Stanwyck

Dick Powell

James Cagney

Jack Lemmon

Robert Ryan

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Dorothy McGuire

She had a day last year.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I’ve been lurking all weekend. I’ve been feeling under the weather (no I don’t have coronavirus) and I think I’m hopefully finally coming out of it. 

For SUTS, I’d like to see:

Edmond O’Brien

Paulette Goddard

Dorothy McGuire

Joan Leslie

Barry Sullivan

Ida Lupino

Ann Sheridan

Richard Conte

Zachary Scott

Eleanor Parker

Dane Clark

Gordon MacRae

Ann Blyth

Jack Carson

Charles Coburn

Arthur Kennedy

Don Ameche

Ralph Meeker

Rhonda Fleming

Dan Duryea

Alan Ladd

Claude Rains

Jean Harlow

Barbara Stanwyck

Dick Powell

James Cagney

Jack Lemmon

Robert Ryan

I hope you feel better, and truly...

I'd be surprised if any of the names on your list hadn't already have a SUTS recognition.

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

Looking at the previous list...

Don Ameche and Dane Clark have not had Summer Under the Stars tributes yet. Both would be fine choices.

• Like 2

Charlton Heston 

Vincent Price

Danny Kaye

Bob Hope

Red Buttons

Jack Lemon

Dean Martin

Kirk Douglas 

John Wayne 

Fess Parker

Leslie Nielsen 

George C Scott

Carey Grant

Alfred Hitchcock.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David Guercio said:

Albert Finney.

Yes, another very good suggestion.

19 hours ago, David Guercio said:

...Carey Grant

cary-smoke-gif.gif

"My good man! Unless you'd like to call me 'Archie', my made-up stage name isn't spelled with that 'e' there."

;)

39 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Dargo, are you saying that's a ... superfluous "e"?

LOL

Yep! U got that right, sewhite! ;)

(...and truth be known, I came THIS close to puttin' that word in Cary's mouth here too earlier)