Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who would you like to see honored for 2020 Summer Under the Stars?


Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I like your list. And of course, I knew you'd include your man Robert Vaughn!

What films would you include for Eve Arden, since she was in so many great ones...?

Most likely Mildred Pierce and Grease. I'd also have to include Having Wonderful Time. I haven't seen that one yet, but Douglas Fairbanks Jr. is in it. So that one is a given in my book.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TopBilled said:

 

What films would you include for Eve Arden, since she was in so many great ones...?

I'm not really sure, but it usually seems a SUTS selection would be those who had a good choice of movies in which they had leading roles.  And I honestly don't know how many lead roles Eve had in movies.  But yeah, even her small bit and supporting character roles were often the best part of several movies.   and a slight highjack----

One of my favorite lines of Eve's was in MILDRED PIERCE when she, noticing JACK CARSON leering at her when she was adjusting a stocking while standing on a stool...

"Leave SOMETHING on me, I'll catch cold!"  :D 

Sepiatone

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

So many good suggestions here. Because the programmers usually work about six months ahead, this year's SUTS may already be planned. I'm glad so many people would like to see a tribute to Max von Sydow.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand TCM Programming is usually planning the programming for the network six to eight months in advance so I really don't think my two choices will be considered for this year's "Summer under the Stars".  They might be considered for the 2021 edition though if they agree in the leasing arrangements of their films:  Gene Hackman and Anthony Hopkins.  Both are  Oscar winning actors and they bring so much to their roles.  You forget who they are and believe they are actually the character they are portraying in the film. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, thomasterryjr said:

I understand TCM Programming is usually planning the programming for the network six to eight months in advance so I really don't think my two choices will be considered for this year's "Summer under the Stars".  They might be considered for the 2021 edition though if they agree in the leasing arrangements of their films:  Gene Hackman and Anthony Hopkins.  Both are  Oscar winning actors and they bring so much to their roles.  You forget who they are and believe they are actually the character they are portraying in the film. 

Didn't Gene Hackman have a day in the past couple of years? Or was he a Star of the Month?

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Didn't Gene Hackman have a day in the past couple of years? Or was he a Star of the Month?

Gene Hackman was SOTM in September 2016. He's never had a day in August.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I reckon the only issue with Max Von Sydow is choosing what movies to air for a possible SUTS Day.  He featured prominently in no shortage of movies.  Which ones does TCM pick?  And can they acquire the rights to them at a reasonable cost?  Or maybe they can locate a Public Domain film print of a movie or two of his that's in watchable condition. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, YourManGodfrey said:

I thought of a few more:

Frank Morgan

Frank Morgan is someone who could easily be Star of the Month. He was in a lot of films, and he had an illustrious stage career before the movies. Plus in addition to his famous role as the title character in THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939) he starred in many MGM programmers in the 1940s, when he wasn't providing support as a character actor in other stars' pictures.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I reckon the only issue with Max Von Sydow is choosing what movies to air for a possible SUTS Day.  He featured prominently in no shortage of movies.  Which ones does TCM pick?  And can they acquire the rights to them at a reasonable cost?  Or maybe they can locate a Public Domain film print of a movie or two of his that's in watchable condition. 

They would probably pick his Bergman collaborations and also the Greatest Story Ever Told and maybe Night Visitor as I definitely saw both on TCM before. I doubt they could get the rights to the Exorcist. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Frank Morgan is someone who could easily be Star of the Month. He was in a lot of films, and he had an illustrious stage career before the movies. Plus in addition to his famous role as the title character in THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939) he starred in many MGM programmers in the 1940s, when he wasn't providing support as a character actor in other stars' pictures.

That would be even better. An academy award nomination, starring roles in ‘lesser’ films, and great supporting roles in big films certainly demands some sort of recognition, right?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, YourManGodfrey said:

That would be even better. An academy award nomination, starring roles in ‘lesser’ films, and great supporting roles in big films certainly demands some sort of recognition, right?

I think it does, yes.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been lurking all weekend. I’ve been feeling under the weather (no I don’t have coronavirus) and I think I’m hopefully finally coming out of it. 

For SUTS, I’d like to see:

Edmond O’Brien

Paulette Goddard

Dorothy McGuire

Joan Leslie

Barry Sullivan

Ida Lupino

Ann Sheridan

Richard Conte

Zachary Scott

Eleanor Parker

Dane Clark

Gordon MacRae

Ann Blyth

Jack Carson

Charles Coburn

Arthur Kennedy

Don Ameche

Ralph Meeker

Rhonda Fleming

Dan Duryea

Alan Ladd

Claude Rains

Jean Harlow

Barbara Stanwyck

Dick Powell

James Cagney

Jack Lemmon

Robert Ryan

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I’ve been lurking all weekend. I’ve been feeling under the weather (no I don’t have coronavirus) and I think I’m hopefully finally coming out of it. 

For SUTS, I’d like to see:

Edmond O’Brien

Paulette Goddard

Dorothy McGuire

Joan Leslie

Barry Sullivan

Ida Lupino

Ann Sheridan

Richard Conte

Zachary Scott

Eleanor Parker

Dane Clark

Gordon MacRae

Ann Blyth

Jack Carson

Charles Coburn

Arthur Kennedy

Don Ameche

Ralph Meeker

Rhonda Fleming

Dan Duryea

Alan Ladd

Claude Rains

Jean Harlow

Barbara Stanwyck

Dick Powell

James Cagney

Jack Lemmon

Robert Ryan

 

I hope you feel better, and truly...

I'd be surprised if any of the names on your list hadn't already have a SUTS recognition.

Sepiatone

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, David Guercio said:

...Carey Grant

 

cary-smoke-gif.gif

"My good man! Unless you'd like to call me 'Archie', my made-up stage name isn't spelled with that 'e' there."

;)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Dargo, are you saying that's a ... superfluous "e"?

LOL

Yep! U got that right, sewhite! ;)

(...and truth be known, I came THIS close to puttin' that word in Cary's mouth here too earlier) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...