Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who would you like to see honored for 2020 Summer Under the Stars?

TopBilled

Fred Astaire 

and I almost forgot.  If they consider Alfred Hitchcock?  Which I hope so.

I would also love for them to have the documentary Dial H For Hitchcock

and The AFI Life Achievement Award A Tribute To Alfred Hitchcock from 1979

along with his films please.  I think that would be so cool.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, David Guercio said:

Johnny Cash.

When I went to the Johnny Cash Museum in Nashville last May.  One of the things I learned was that Johnny Cash was also an actor.

So I think it would actually be so cool to see his movies here on TCM as part of SUTS.

Johnny Cash did a few movies...some were TV movies. He also guest-starred on a really interesting episode of Columbo.

On 3/15/2020 at 9:04 AM, jinsinna13 said:

Most likely Mildred Pierce and Grease. I'd also have to include Having Wonderful Time. I haven't seen that one yet, but Douglas Fairbanks Jr. is in it. So that one is a given in my book.

Eve Arden had a major role in another Joan Crawford picture---1951's Goodbye My Fancy.   And was terrific in 1959's Anatomy of a Murder with James Stewart.   Of course, she played the lead in 1956's Our Miss Brooks, based on her signature role on radio and TV.  She was in the ensemble cast of 1937's Stage Door with Hepburn and Rogers.   Another favorite is 1960's The Dark at the Top of the Stairs, holding her own with Robert Preston, Dorothy McGuire, Shirley Knight and Angela Lansbury.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2020 at 10:07 PM, TopBilled said:

Which films would you select for a Summer Under the Stars tribute for him? Would you focus mainly on his work with Ingmar Bergman?

Two of Max von Sydow's American pictures I'd like included are 1975's Three Days of the Condor and 1986's Hannah and Her Sisters.

• Like 1

Verree Teasdale

James Gleason

Lloyd Nolan

Madge Evans

Dean Jagger

Aline MacMahon

Una Merkel

Chester Morris

Ann Sheridan

Eve Arden

C. Aubrey Smith

Robert Cummings

Robert Young

Michael Rennie

Edward Brophy

May Robson

Elizabeth Allan (not to be confused with Elizabeth Allen)

John Litel

I could go on and on . . . 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Who's the guy on the left...is it Keenan Wynn?

Yep, that's Keenan alright, TB.

Both he and Lee being avid motorcyclists back in the day.

(...I always liked seeing Keenan Wynn in any of the films he was in...few actors could make the unlikable jerk type role he was often cast as, as entertaining as he could, I always thought)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dargo said:

(...both he and Lee being avid motorcyclists back in the day)

Interesting. Did not know that about him. TCM has tons of MGM films that he made in its library. He'd be easy to include in August. I don't think he's ever had a primetime spotlight either. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Interesting. Did not know that about him. TCM has tons of MGM films that he made in its library. He'd be easy to include in August. I don't think he's ever had a primetime spotlight either. 

Yep, I've known of his love for motorcycling since my teen years, and after the time I watched him guest star as an old diehard motorcycle rider on the TV series Then Came Bronson back around 1969, and when series star Michael Parks would encounter his character during his travels around the country.

(...most of the episode was played for comic effect, as I recall)

4 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yep, I've known of his love for motorcycling since my teen years, and after the time I watched him guest star as an old diehard motorcycle rider on the TV series Then Came Bronson back around 1969, and when series star Michael Parks would encounter his character during his travels around the country.

(...most of the episode was played for comic effect, as I recall)

Did you ever meet him? I think I recall you saying you had met some stars on their motorbikes at some outdoor cafe or diner.

Just now, TopBilled said:

Did you ever meet him? I think I recall you saying you had met some stars on their motorbikes at some outdoor cafe or diner.

Nope, never met Keenan, but over the years I would meet at m/c shows and at a little roadhouse along Mulholland Hwy up above Malibu in the Santa Monica Mountains called The Rock Store (this is what you meant) guys like Jay Leno, Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Blake, and  the movie stunt rider and car driver who actually made the barbed wire fence jump in The Great Escape for Steve McQueen by the name of Bud Ekins, just to name the ones who first come to mind here.

(...and whose memorial service in 2007 held at the Warner Bros studio lot and opened to the public, I would attend )

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dargo said:

Nope, never met Keenan, but over the years I would meet at m/c shows and at a little roadhouse along Mulholland Hwy up above Malibu in the Santa Monica Mountains called The Rock Store (this is what you meant) guys like Jay Leno, Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Blake, and  the movie stunt rider and car driver who actually made the barbed wire fence jump in The Great Escape for Steve McQueen by the name of Bud Ekins, just to name the ones who first come to mind here.

(...and whose memorial service in 2007 held at the Warner Bros studio lot and opened to the public, I would attend )

Yeah, that's it! I remember you mentioning when you met Jay Leno. I think I have been by the The Rock Store. I had friends who lived in Bell Canyon, and we'd go from their place over to have dinner at Gladstone's in Malibu. There was some winding road through the Santa Monica Mountains we took to get to the coast. I don't drive, and I was usually too busy talking in the backseat to pay attention to the roads!

Just now, TopBilled said:

Yeah, that's it! I remember you mentioning when you met Jay Leno. I think I have been by the The Rock Store. I had friends who lived in Bell Canyon, and we'd go from their place over to have dinner at Gladstone's in Malibu. There was some winding road through the Santa Monica Mountains we took to get to the coast. I don't drive, and I was usually too busy talking in the backseat to pay attention to the roads!

"Bell Canyon" you say?! What a coincidence! My best friend lives in Bell Canyon, and who has a great collection of some 25 classic motorcycles.

I go back to L.A. every year in November to attend a British motorcycle rally and stay at his place for the weekend.

(...small world, ain't it?!)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dargo said:

"Bell Canyon" you say?! What a coincidence! My best friend lives in Bell Canyon, and who has a great collection of some 25 classic motorcycles.

I go back to L.A. every year in November to attend a British motorcycle rally and stay at his place for the weekend.

(...small world, ain't it?!)

Yeah, very small world indeed. A motorcycle rally sounds fun.

My friends lived on Saddlebow Road, which was way up there. It was a bit of a drive. They divorced. So they sold the place. He moved to Topanga Canyon, which was not too far away and she moved to Northridge with her new boyfriend.

The views there were/are spectacular.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Yeah, very small world indeed. A motorcycle rally sounds fun.

My friends lived on Saddlebow Road, which was way up there. It was a bit of a drive. They divorced. So they sold the place. He moved to Topanga Canyon, which was not too far away and she moved to Northridge with her new boyfriend.

The views there were/are spectacular.

Yep, my friend Phil lives on Stagecoach, just barely up the hill from their rec center there.

(...probably should get back on topic here, though)

• Thanks 1

Well, getting back on topic, I do think Keenan Wynn is a good suggestion. Of course it would have to include some of his Disney films, which occasionally costarred his father Ed Wynn. 

TCM usually does feature a popular character actor or actress in August.

I am also in favor of a day devoted to Spring Byington. I think she enlivens a lot of otherwise dull films. Spring occasionally costarred with Charles Coburn, and they made magic together in THE DEVIL AND MISS JONES (1941) and LOUISA (1950).

Screen Shot 2020-02-22 at 8.09.06 PM.png

• Like 3

There are so many people that I have thought of for Summer Under the Stars, for 2020, 2021, and even 2022, and 2023.

These are the people that I have thought of for 2020:     [Some have been honored in SUTS at least once, and others have not.    These have been my thoughts for this year, pretty much in this order.]

Spencer Tracy

Ida Lupino

Humphrey Bogart

Norma Shearer

Ramon Novarro

Glenda Jackson     (a SUTS debut)

Fredric March or Robert Taylor  {a choice for a Backlot vote - the men]

Nanette Newman     (another SUTS debut)

Harvey Keitel     (another SUTS debut)

Joan Leslie     (another SUTS debut)

Fay Bainter    (another SUTS debut, I think)

Tom Skerritt     (another SUTS debut)

Deborah Kerr    (it's been a few years)

Sammy Davis Jr.     (It's been a number of years -  that is if he was ever honored during SUTS)

Kim Hunter       (another SUTS debut)

Jerry Orbach       (another SUTS debut)

Loretta  Young

Richard Kiley      (another SUTS debut)

Ann Rutherford    (another SUTS debut, I believe)

Max Von Sydow    (another SUTS debut; it's been on my mind since last year, well before his passing.    My dream is that they would include two of his rare gems from the early and mid-1990s: "The Best Intentions" and its sequel "Private Confessions".)

Ruby Dee    (another SUTS debut)

Martin Balsam    (another SUTS debut)

Cesar Romero      (another SUTS debut)

Candice Bergen      (another SUTS debut)

James Earl Jones      (another SUTS debut)

Grace Kelly   or   Hope Lange   [a choice for a Backlot vote - the women;  Lange definitely being a SUTS debut; I actually prefer Hope Lange as a whole over Grace Kelly}

Warren William

Beah Richards     (another SUTS debut)

John Saxon      (another SUTS debut)

Lucile Watson     (another SUTS debut)

Leslie Nielsen    

Hopefully one day soon  I'll be able to share with you my ideas for the next year and perhaps the following two years after that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dargo said:

Both he and Lee being avid motorcyclists back in the day.

(...I always liked seeing Keenan Wynn in any of the films he was in...few actors could make the unlikable jerk type role he was often cast as, as entertaining as he could, I always thought)

I saw Keenan Wynn in "Battle Circus" today with Humphrey Bogart and June Allyson.  He would be a great choice as a SUTS honoree.  He was also in "Code 2" with a couple of actors I wasn't familiar with until I started watching TCM and have come to like seeing and think they were in enough pictures to warrant consideration; James Craig and Ralph Meeker.

Lloyd Bridges

Cyd Charisse

Joan Bennett

Elsa Lanchester

Lee Patrick

Elisha Cook, Jr.

Brian Aherne

Ruth Donnelly

Spring Byington

• Like 2

20 hours ago, midwestan said:

I saw Keenan Wynn in "Battle Circus" today with Humphrey Bogart and June Allyson.

I watched the film for the first time, too. I thought Bogart and Allyson made a surprisingly good pair. Wynn was also very good in it; I'd also like to see him get a SUTS day!

• Like 2