Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who would you like to see honored for 2020 Summer Under the Stars?

TopBilled

Sally Field

The final co-host of The Essentials with Robert Osborne would certainly be considered a "friend of TCM", and I don't think it would be unreasonable to see her get a SUTS day, copyrights willing. I didn't realize until I looked at her imdb resume how little filmwork she'd done early on - only three movies in the first nearly 15 years of her acting career, instead working almost entirely on television. I didn't include any of those early films, though they might be fun. This means my wish list is entirely from 1976 on, which might be too recent for TCM, though in recent years, they've been having some STOMs or SUTSs devoted to the likes of Gene Hackman, Faye Dunnaway and Robert Redford, so who knows? I'm still seeking out mostly titles I haven't seen, so although I've seen quite a few Sally Field films, I'm splitting these evenly between six I've seen and six I havent. I left off Places in the Heart, one of her two Oscar wins.

Stay Hungry (United Artists, 1976) - A self-described "special agent" (Jeff Bridges) infiltrates a gym which is the target of a dirty business fraud. Field plays the friend of a Mr. Austria champion (Arnold Schwarzennegar), who's training at the gym for the Mr. Universum competition, and Bridges falls in love with her.
TCM Airings: 1

Smokey and the Bandit (Universal, 1977) - The Bandit (Burt Reynolds) is hired to navigate a path to safely get a tractor trailer full of beer illegally across several state lines with a pesky sheriff (Jackie Gleason) in hot pursuit. By accident, Bandit picks up a young hitchhiker (Field) who's left her would-be groom (Mike Henry) at the altar. The groom happens to be the son and deputy of the sheriff.
TCM Airings: 7

Norma Rae (20th Century Fox, 1979) - a young single mother and mill worker (Field) agrees to help her fellow employees unionize, even though it makes her life much more complicated and possibly puts it in danger.
TCM Airings: 9

Absence of Malice (Columbia, 1981) - A prosecutor (Bob Balaban) leaks false info that he's investigating an honest liquor warehouse owner (Paul Newman) in the presumed murder of a missing labor leader in hopes the warehouse owner will be pressured to use the  connections with his mobster relatives to find out what really happened. Consequently, the man's life begins to fall apart. Field plays the ambitious reporter who's the recipient of the leak.
TCM Airings: 18

Kiss Me Goodbye (20th Century Fox, 1982) - A young widow (Field) is about to remarry when the ghost of her first husband (James Caan) returns to spoil her plans.
TCM Airings: 0

Surrender (Warner Bros., 1987) - A wealthy writer (Michael Caine), who's had a lifetime of bad experiences with money-hungry girlfriends and ex-wives, pretends to be a broke, washed-up novelist to see if the woman he loves (Field) wants him for himself or his money.

Punchline (Columbia, 1988) - A medical school dropout (Tom Hanks) and a housewife and mother (Field) try to make it as stand-up comedians in New York City. It has been noted as an example of "women of a certain age" in Hollywood, Field plays Hanks' potential love interest in this one and six years later his mother.

Homeward Bound: the Incredible Journey (Disney, 1993) - Three pets (voiced by Michael J. Fox, Field and Don Ameche) escape a California ranch to find their vacationing owners in San Francisco.
TCM Airings; 0

Homeward Bound II: Lost in San Francisco (Disney, 1996) - In this sequel, Shadow, Sassy and Chance (Fox, Field and Ralph Waite replacing the now-deceased Ameche) have to find their way home after getting stranded at the San Francisco International Airport while their owners fly to Canada for vacation.

Where the Heart Is (20th  Century Fox, 2000) - A pregnant 17-year-old (Natalie Portman) gets her life back together after being abandoned by her boyfriend (James Frain) at a Wal-Mart in Oklahoma. Field has a cameo as Portman's trashy, money-hungry mother.

The Amazing Spider-Man (Columbia, 2012) - After high school genius Peter Parker (Andrew Garfield) is bitten by a radioactive spider, he gains fantastic arachnid-like powers and must save New York City from a mysterious reptilian foe (Rhys Ifans). Field of course is Peter's Aunt May in this second of three Spider-Man franchises in the last 20 years. 

Little Evil (Mandalay, 2017) - A man (Adam Scott) thinks he's just married the woman of his dreams (Evangeline Lilly) but discovers her six-year-old son (Owen Atlas) may be the Antichrist. It's a comedy. Field has some kind of cameo in it, but I can't find any info about the nature of her character. Its a straight-to-Netflix movie, so I doubt TCM would ever air it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

Little Evil (Mandalay, 2017) - A man (Adam Scott) thinks he's just married the woman of his dreams (Evangeline Lilly) but discovers her six-year-old son (Owen Atlas) may be the Antichrist. It's a comedy. Field has some kind of cameo in it, but I can't find any info about the nature of her character. Its a straight-to-Netflix movie, so I doubt TCM would ever air it.

That was a bit of a letdown. It was written and directed by Field's son Eli Craig.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Sally Field

The final co-host of The Essentials with Robert Osborne would certainly be considered a "friend of TCM", and I don't think it would be unreasonable to see her get a SUTS day, copyrights willing. I didn't realize until I looked at her imdb resume how little filmwork she'd done early on - only three movies in the first nearly 15 years of her acting career, instead working almost entirely on television. I didn't include any of those early films, though they might be fun. This means my wish list is entirely from 1976 on, which might be too recent for TCM, though in recent years, they've been having some STOMs or SUTSs devoted to the likes of Gene Hackman, Faye Dunnaway and Robert Redford, so who knows? I'm still seeking out mostly titles I haven't seen, so although I've seen quite a few Sally Field films, I'm splitting these evenly between six I've seen and six I havent. I left off Places in the Heart, one of her two Oscar wins.

Stay Hungry (United Artists, 1976) - A self-described "special agent" (Jeff Bridges) infiltrates a gym which is the target of a dirty business fraud. Field plays the friend of a Mr. Austria champion (Arnold Schwarzennegar), who's training at the gym for the Mr. Universum competition, and Bridges falls in love with her.

Smokey and the Bandit (Universal, 1977) - The Bandit (Burt Reynolds) is hired to navigate a path to safely get a tractor trailer full of beer illegally across several state lines with a pesky sheriff (Jackie Gleason) in hot pursuit. By accident, Bandit picks up a young hitchhiker (Field) who's left her would-be groom (Mike Henry) at the altar. The groom happens to be the son and deputy of the sheriff.
TCM Airings: 7

Norma Rae (20th Century Fox, 1979) - a young single mother and mill worker (Field) agrees to help her fellow employees unionize, even though it makes her life much more complicated and possibly puts it in danger.
TCM Airings: 9

Absence of Malice (Columbia, 1981) - A prosecutor (Bob Balaban) leaks false info that he's investigating an honest liquor warehouse owner (Paul Newman) in the presumed murder of a missing labor leader in hopes the warehouse owner will be pressured to use the  connections with his mobster relatives to find out what really happened. Consequently, the man's life begins to fall apart. Field plays the ambitious reporter who's the recipient of the leak.
TCM Airings: 18

Kiss Me Goodbye (20th Century Fox, 1982) - A young widow (Field) is about to remarry when the ghost of her first husband (James Caan) returns to spoil her plans.

Surrender (Warner Bros., 1987) - A wealthy writer (Michael Caine), who's had a lifetime of bad experiences with money-hungry girlfriends and ex-wives, pretends to be a broke, washed-up novelist to see if the woman he loves (Field) wants him for himself or his money.

Punchline (Columbia, 1988) - A medical school dropout (Tom Hanks) and a housewife and mother (Field) try to make it as stand-up comedians in New York City. It has been noted as an example of "women of a certain age" in Hollywood, Field plays Hanks' potential love interest in this one and six years later his mother.

Homeward Bound: the Incredible Journey (Disney, 1993) - Three pets (voiced by Michael J. Fox, Field and Don Ameche) escape a California ranch to find their vacationing owners in San Francisco.
TCM Airings; 0

Homeward Bound II: Lost in San Francisco (Disney, 1996) - In this sequel, Shadow, Sassy and Chance (Fox, Field and Ralph Waite replacing the now-deceased Ameche) have to find their way home after getting stranded at the San Francisco International Airport while their owners fly to Canada for vacation.

Where the Heart Is (20th  Century Fox, 2000) - A pregnant 17-year-old (Natalie Portman) gets her life back together after being abandoned by her boyfriend (James Frain) at a Wal-Mart in Oklahoma. Field has a cameo as Portman's trashy, money-hungry mother.

The Amazing Spider-Man (Columbia, 2012) - After high school genius Peter Parker is bitten by a radioactive spider, he gains fantastic arachnid-like powers and must save New York City from a mysterious reptilian foe (Rhys Ifans). Field of course is Peter's Aunt May in this second of three Spider-Man franchises in the last 20 years. 

Oh but you have to include MRS. DOUBTFIRE...! It was her biggest hit, making $441 million (in 1993 dollars). SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT only made $300 million.

KISS ME GOODBYE is a charming film and I'm surprised it's never aired on TCM. She works well with James Caan and Jeff Bridges.

Her first significant role in a motion picture was in the western THE WAY WEST (1967) starring Robert Mitchum and Kirk Douglas.

I'd also include HOOPER (1978), another one of her successful collaborations with Burt Reynolds and it is based on the life of her stepfather, stuntman/actor Jock Mahoney.

Harry Belafonte 

Looks like Harry Belafonte has only made 14 feature films, so I picked all but his first and most recent to give me 12. I'd seen more than I realized. Looks like I've seen six of these.  He took both the '60s and '80s off from making features, so there are some large gaps in his resume. He was absolutely huge at one point in the mid-to-late '50s when calypso made him almost as giant a recording artist as Presley or Sinatra. It would have been interesting if he'd gone on to be as omnipresent as Sidney Poitier on the big screen so that Poitier wouldn't have been the only go-to black actor. But I think Belafonte chose to put his career as an entertainer on the back burner to focus on social activism.

Carmen Jones (20th Century Fox, 1954) - Contemporary version of the Bizet opera with new lyrics and an all African-American cast. Joe (Belafonte) is about to go into pilot training for the Korean War in an all-black army camp. He's engaged to the sweet Cindy Lou (Olga James) but becomes the target of the affections of the civilian parachute-maker and "hot bundle" Carmen Jones (Dorothy Dandridge), who's desired by all the other soldiers. Ironically, Belafonte, who would go on to be a multiplatinum recording artist, is dubbed in this movie by someone with an operatic voice.
TCM Airings: 16

Island in the Sun (20th Century Fox, 1957) - Set in contemporary times on a fictional British-ruled Caribbean island, this drama deals with local politics, interracial relationships, social inequality, racism, adultery and murder, focusing on the life of a young, handsome and charismatic local male (Belafonte) with political ambitions.

Odds Against Tomorrow (United Artists, 1959) - One man (Ed Begley) hires two others who are debt-ridden (Belafonte and Robert Ryan) for a bank robbery.
TCM Airings: 38

The World, the Flesh and the Devil (MGM, 1959) - A miner trapped in a cave-in (Belafonte) mamages to resurface and discovers the world has been wiped out in a nuclear holocaust. He sets out to find other survivors.
TCM Airings: 22

The Angel Levine (United Artists, 1970) - An elderly religious Jew who's a tailor in New York City (Zero Mostel) has a gravely ill wife (Ida Kaminski) and can no longer work because of a bad back. A black man (Belafonte) appears in his kitchen, claiming to be an angel from God and Jewish.
TCM Airings: 5

Buck and the Preacher (Columbia, 1972) - A wagon master (Sidney Poitier) and a con-man preacher (Belafonte) work together to help freed slaves in the Old West resist racist thugs trying to terrorize them from taking jobs.
TCM Airings: 13

Uptown Saturday Night (Warner Bros., 1974) - At an illegal nightclub, two men (Sidney Poitier and Bill Cosby) discover a wallet containing a winning lottery ticket has been stolen and must team up with an outrageous gangster (Belafonte) to get it back.

The Player (Fine Line, 1992) - A Hollywood studio executive (Tim Robbins) is receiving death threats, he thinks from a writer whose script he rejected (Vincent D'onofrio), but he may not have the right man. Belafonte is one of dozens of celebrities who cameo as themselves.
TCM Airings: 8

Ready to Wear (Miramax, 1994) - A look at the lives of a group of interconnected people as the Paris Fashion Week is about to begin. Belafonte again plays himself.

White Man's Burden (Savoy, 1995) - In an alternate America where the cultural roles of African-Americans and whites are reversed, a white factory worker (John Travolta) kidnaps the factory's black owner (Belafonte) after being fired he believes out of prejudice.

Kansas City (Fine Line, 1996) - A pair of kidnappings expose the complex power dynamics within the corrupt and unpredictable workings of Kansas City in the 1930s. Belafonte is a gangster who kidnaps a petty thief (Dermot Mulroney) and holds him hostage in a club. The thief's wife (Jennifer Jason Leigh) then kidnaps the wife (Miranda Richardson) of a powerful politician (Michael Murphy) to try to force him to use his connections to free her husband.

Bobby (MGM, 2006) - A look at 22 employees, guests and visitors at the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles on June 5, 1968, the day Robert Kennedy is killed there. Belafonte and Anthony Hopkins play retired doormen who still meet in the hotel lobby to play chess.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Harry Belafonte 

Looks like Harry Belafonte has only made 14 feature films, so I picked all but his first and most recent to give me 12. I'd seen more than I realized. Looks like I've seen six of these.  He took both the '60s and '80s off from making features, so there are some large gaps in his resume. He was absolutely huge at one point in the mid-to-late '50s when calypso made him almost as giant a recording artist as Presley or Sinatra. It would have been interesting if he'd gone on to be as omnipresent as Sidney Poitier on the big screen so that Poitier wouldn't have been the only go-to black actor. But I think Belafonte chose to put his career as an entertainer on the back burner to focus on social activism.

Carmen Jones (20th Century Fox, 1954) - Contemporary version of the Bizet opera with new lyrics and an all African-American cast. Joe (Belafonte) is about to go into pilot training for the Korean War in an all-black army camp. He's engaged to the sweet Cindy Lou (Olga James) but becomes the target of the affections of the civilian parachute-maker and "hot bundle" Carmen Jones (Dorothy Dandridge), who's desired by all the other soldiers. Ironically, Belafonte, who would go on to be a multiplatinum recording artist, is dubbed in this movie by someone with an operatic voice.
TCM Airings: 16

Island in the Sun (20th Century Fox, 1957) - Set in contemporary times on a fictional British-ruled Caribbean island, this drama deals with local politics, interracial relationships, social inequality, racism, adultery and murder, focusing on the life of a young, handsome and charismatic local male (Belafonte) with political ambitions.

Odds Against Tomorrow (United Artists, 1959) - One man (Ed Begley) hires two others who are debt-ridden (Belafonte and Robert Ryan) for a bank robbery.
TCM Airings: 38

The World, the Flesh and the Devil (MGM, 1959) - A miner trapped in a cave-in (Belafonte) mamages to resurface and discovers the world has been wiped out in a nuclear holocaust. He sets out to find other survivors.
TCM Airings: 22

The Angel Levine (United Artists, 1970) - An elderly religious Jew who's a tailor in New York City (Zero Mostel) has a gravely ill wife (Ida Kaminski) and can no longer work because of a bad back. A black man (Belafonte) appears in his kitchen, claiming to be an angel from God and Jewish.
TCM Airings: 5

Buck and the Preacher (Columbia, 1972) - A wagon master (Sidney Poitier) and a con-man preacher (Belafonte) work together to help freed slaves in the Old West resist racist thugs trying to terrorize them from taking jobs.
TCM Airings: 13

Uptown Saturday Night (Warner Bros., 1974) - At an illegal nightclub, two men (Sidney Poitier and Bill Cosby) discover a wallet containing a winning lottery ticket has been stolen and must team up with an outrageous gangster (Belafonte) to get it back.

The Player (Fine Line, 1992) - A Hollywood studio executive (Tim Robbins) is receiving death threats, he thinks from a writer whose script he rejected (Vincent D'onofrio), but he may not have the right man. Belafonte is one of dozens of celebrities who cameo as themselves.
TCM Airings: 8

Ready to Wear (Miramax, 1994) - A look at the lives of a group of interconnected people as the Paris Fashion Week is about to begin. Belafonte again plays himself.

White Man's Burden (Savoy, 1995) - In an alternate America where the cultural roles of African-Americans and whites are reversed, a white factory worker (John Travolta) kidnaps the factory's black owner (Belafonte) after being fired he believes out of prejudice.

Kansas City (Fine Line, 1996) - A pair of kidnappings expose the complex power dynamics within the corrupt and unpredictable workings of Kansas City in the 1930s. Belafonte is a gangster who kidnaps a petty thief (Dermot Mulroney) and holds him hostage in a club. The thief's wife (Jennifer Jason Leigh) then kidnaps the wife (Miranda Richardson) of a powerful politician (Michael Murphy) to try to force him to use his connections to free her husband.

Bobby (MGM, 2006) - A look at 22 employees, guests and visitors at the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles on June 5, 1968, the day Robert Kennedy is killed there. Belafonte and Anthony Hopkins play retired doormen who still meet in the hotel lobby to play chess.

Another one that would probably work here is BEETLEJUICE (1988) since five of his biggest songs, including Day-O, feature prominently on the soundtrack. 

I love ODDS AGAINST TOMORROW (1959). It's brilliantly directed by Robert Wise. Belafonte produced it. And he works very well with Robert Ryan and Ed Begley.

CARMEN JONES (1954) is essential viewing. He also made BRIGHT ROAD (1953) with Dorothy Dandridge, which is in the Turner library.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought UPTOWN SATURDAY NIGHT (1974) had been aired on TCM before.  I didn't know it hadn't.  Fancy that.  Harry Belafonte plays 'Geechie Dan', a hilarious parody of Marlon Brando's performance in "The Godfather".  Calvin Lockhart plays 'Silky Slim'. 

• Like 1

Lilli Palmer

I'd never heard of this actress before TopBilled mentioned that Rex Harrison left Carole Landis for her the other day. Consequently, I've seen almost none of her movies. I did watch Secret Agent on YouTube last year, but I haven't seen any of the others I chose. Looks like she very rarely worked in Hollywood proper, though some of her films were financed by American money, like MGM UK. If these films had American distributors, I just listed those, but it got a little confusing trying to keep track of all the American release dates, so most of them I just put their original release year in their country of origin. Some of these films may have never been released in America and have no plot summary on imdb. I just chose those because I liked the title and/or some stills from the movies. As you can see from these examples, her TCM appearances are very rare, so she'd certainly be an interesting SUTS selection.

Secret Agent (Gaumont, 1936) - Three British agents (John Gielgud, Madeline Carroll and Peter Lorre) are assigned to assassinate a mysterious German agent during World War I, but two of them become ambivalent when their duty to their mission conflicts with their consciences. Palmer plays a comely young wench who believes her fiancee (Howard Marion-Crawford) may hold the key to unmasking the agent's true identity.

Suicide Legion (Dist. in the US by Film Alliance of the United States, Ltd., 1939) - No plot listed for this movie. Palmer is the top-billed female.

Chamber of Horrors (Dist. in the US by Monogram, 1940) - A murder is tied to a false heir to a mass fortune (Leslie Banks) and a secret underground torture chamber. Palmer plays the real heir.
 Not the 1966 film with the same title with Wilfrid Hyde-White.

Beware of Pity (Eagle-Lion, 1946) - A woman (Palmer) paralyzed from the waist down after a horse riding accident falls in love with a man (Albert Lieven) who tries to hide from her he only feels friendship in return, but when she finds out, she leaves him with the intent of killing herself.
TCM Airings: 2

Main Street to Broadway (MGM, 1953) - In New York City, a surly, down-on-his heels playwright (Tommy Morton) meets a country girl (Mary Murphy) who's giving up trying to act and is returning home. Thinking she'll bring him inspiration, he follows her. They start a romance, but when his agent (Agnes Moorehead) convinces Tallulah Bankhead (playing herself) to appear in his new play, he returns to Broadway. She stays behind and begins dating a local businessman (Herb Shriner). Apparently, this was a Z-budget independent production that somehow got the agreement of a lot of famous people to appear as themselves, which finally got MGM's attention, and they swooped in to help finance and distribute it near the end of production, even adding some of their own contract players for cameos (a scene that was supposed to have Henry Fonda and Olivia DeHavilland ended up with Louis Calhern and Ethel Barrymore instead). Palmer is one of many stars who plays herself.
TCM Airings: 0 (I guess it didn't stay under MGM control)

Tempestuous Love (Dist. in the US by Casino Film Exchange, 1957) - Looks like a German film. There's no plot description. I just liked the title! Palmer is top-billed.

Conspiracy of Hearts (Dist. in the US by Paramount, 1960) - Catholic nuns risk their lives to help Jewish children in an Italian internment camp escape to Palestine during World War II. Palmer plays the Reverend Mother.

The Counterfeit Traitor (Dist. in the US by Paramount, 1962) - A Swedish oil trader during World War II (William Holden) is blackmailed into assisting the British by infiltrating and surveying Nazi Germany. He's reluctant at first, but his work with a beautiful undercover German agent (Palmer) makes him realize how vital his work is.
TCM Airings:  0

Operation Crossbow (MGM, 1965) - Allied agents attempt to infiltrate a Nazi rocket research site. Spoiler alert! Sophia Loren, despite getting top-billed, gets killed early on, and Palmer plays her killer.
TCM Airings: 42

Father's Trip (Gather, 1966) - A man (Fernandel) who lives with his family in a French village near the Swiss border becomes concerned when he hasn't heard from his eldest daughter, who traveled to Lyon to find work as a hairdresser. Palmer plays his wife. 

The House That Screamed (Dist. in the US by AIP, 1969) - A strict headmistress (Palmer) is running a school for wayward girls in 1800s  France whose students are disappearing under mysterious circumstances.

1982 High Society, Ltd. (Ottokar Runze Filmproduktion, 1982) - Another German film with no plot description. Palmer is second-billed.
TCM Airings; 0

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Lilli Palmer

I'd never heard of this actress before TopBilled mentioned that Rex Harrison left Carole Landis for her the other day. Consequently, I've seen almost none of her movies. I did watch Secret Agent on YouTube last year, but I haven't seen any of the others I chose. Looks like she very rarely worked in Hollywood proper, though some of her films were financed by American money, like MGM UK. If these films had American distributors, I just listed those, but it got a little confusing trying to keep track of all the American release dates, so most of them I just put their original release year in their country of origin. Some of these films may have never been released in America and have no plot summary on imdb. I just chose those because I liked the title and/or some stills from the movies. As you can see from these examples, her TCM appearances are very rare, so she'd certainly be an interesting SUTS selection.

Secret Agent (Gaumont, 1936) - Three British agents (John Gielgud, Madeline Carroll and Peter Lorre) are assigned to assassinate a mysterious German agent during World War I, but two of them become ambivalent when their duty to their mission conflicts with their consciences. Palmer plays a comely young wench who believes her fiancee (Howard Marion-Crawford) may hold the key to unmasking the agent's true identity.

Suicide Legion (Dist. in the US by Film Alliance of the United States, Ltd., 1939) - No plot listed for this movie. Palmer is the top-billed female.

Chamber of Horrors (Dist. in the US by Monogram, 1940) - A murder is tied to a false heir to a mass fortune (Leslie Banks) and a secret underground torture chamber. Palmer plays the real heir.
 Not the 1966 film with the same title with Wilfrid Hyde-White.

Beware of Pity (Eagle-Lion, 1946) - A woman (Palmer) paralyzed from the waist down after a horse riding accident falls in love with a man (Albert Lieven) who tries to hide from her he only feels friendship in return, but when she finds out, she leaves him with the intent of killing herself.
TCM Airings: 2

Main Street to Broadway (MGM, 1953) - In New York City, a surly, down-on-his heels playwright (Tommy Morton) meets a country girl (Mary Murphy) who's giving up trying to act and is returning home. Thinking she'll bring him inspiration, he follows her. They start a romance, but when his agent (Agnes Moorehead) convinces Tallulah Bankhead (playing herself) to appear in his new play, he returns to Broadway. She stays behind and begins dating a local businessman (Herb Shriner). Apparently, this was a Z-budget independent production that somehow got the agreement of a lot of famous people to appear as themselves, which finally got MGM's attention, and they swooped in to help finance and distribute it near the end of production, even adding some of their own contract players for cameos (a scene that was supposed to have Henry Fonda and Olivia DeHavilland ended up with Louis Calhern and Ethel Barrymore instead). Palmer is one of many stars who plays herself.
TCM Airings: 0 (I guess it didn't stay under MGM control)

Tempestuous Love (Dist. in the US by Casino Film Exchange, 1957) - Looks like a German film. There's no plot description. I just liked the title! Palmer is top-billed.

Conspiracy of Hearts (Dist. in the US by Paramount, 1960) - Catholic nuns risk their lives to help Jewish children in an Italian internment camp escape to Palestine during World War II. Palmer plays the Reverend Mother.

The Counterfeit Traitor (Dist. in the US by Paramount, 1962) - A Swedish oil trader during World War II (William Holden) is blackmailed into assisting the British by infiltrating and surveying Nazi Germany. He's reluctant at first, but his work with a beautiful undercover German agent (Palmer) makes him realize how vital his work is.
TCM Airings:  0

Operation Crossbow (MGM, 1965) - Allied agents attempt to infiltrate a Nazi rocket research site. Spoiler alert! Sophia Loren, despite getting top-billed, gets killed early on, and Palmer plays her killer.
TCM Airings: 42

Father's Trip (Gather, 1966) - A man (Fernandel) who lives with his family in a French village near the Swiss border becomes concerned when he hasn't heard from his eldest daughter, who traveled to Lyon to find work as a hairdresser. Palmer plays his wife. 

The House That Screamed (Dist. in the US by AIP, 1969) - A strict headmistress (Palmer) is running a school for wayward girls in 1800s  France whose students are disappearing under mysterious circumstances.

1982 High Society, Ltd. (Ottokar Runze Filmproduktion, 1982) - Another German film with no plot description. Palmer is second-billed.
TCM Airings; 0

Nice selections!

BEWARE OF PITY is an interesting one and she does very well with the material. It's probably one of her most challenging roles. I saw it on TCM.

In my opinion, THE COUNTERFEIT TRAITOR contains her best performance. Please seek this film out and watch it. You'll be so glad you did. She costars with William Holden.

Her last film THE HOLCROFT COVENANT (1985) pairs her with Michael Caine and I watched it not long ago. I rather liked it. She always gave credible performances, right up to the end.

She did make some Hollywood pictures. Like CLOAK AND DAGGER (1946) with Gary Cooper and BODY AND SOUL (1947) with John Garfield. Plus there was a Paramount rom-com called BUT NOT FOR ME (1959) where she was Clark Gable's love interest. A bit later she had the pleasure of working with Fred Astaire in THE PLEASURE OF HIS COMPANY (1961), also made at Paramount. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I've seen Body and Soul sometime in the past year, but Palmer's name didn't stick in my memory banks. I feel like I have a little greater awareness of her now, though I still haven't seen many of her movies.

Her history with Rex Harrison is interesting. They were married from 1943 to 1957, and they had a son in 1944. They did several films together during those years, usually British or European productions. He was a notorious philanderer. He signed a contract with Fox and they went to Hollywood after the war. That's when he met Carole Landis who was also under contract at Fox during that time. While Palmer was busy making CLOAK AND DAGGER, he was busy with Landis on the side. Landis thought he was going to divorce Palmer and marry her which he did not do. She killed herself. 

He ended up staying with Palmer and they went back to Europe. If I recall correctly they didn't go back to England right away. They had a second home in Italy and went there. He was now an outcast in Hollywood and probably England for awhile too. He didn't make any films for the next few years. Then he started to make movies again, usually with Palmer whose career hadn't been compromised.

They ended up back in England in the early 50s. In 1955 Harrison made a British comedy called THE CONSTANT HUSBAND. He took up with a much younger costar on the picture, Kay Kendall. Harrison was almost 20 years older than Kendall. So just as he had done with Landis, he had another well-known affair. Only this time, Palmer divorced him in 1957, and he married Kendall. Kendall was diagnosed with leukemia and she died in 1959. So Harrison's marriage to Kendall was relatively short. After Kendall's death, Harrison thought he would reconcile with Palmer. Only Palmer had gone and married the Argentinian heartthrob Carlos Thompson, an actor who was rumored to be bisexual. She stayed married to Thompson for the rest of her life. 

Palmer and Thompson were married for almost 30 years, until her death in 1986. He did not remarry and committed suicide four years later. Meanwhile Harrison was married three more times after Kay Kendall died. Except for Palmer who was German, Harrison's marriages were typically to English or Welsh women. He died in 1990 the same year Thompson died.

Richard Todd

Another actor with whom I'm largely unfamiliar. I've seen maybe three or four of his movies ever. I'm only including one of those on this list (The Battle of the Villa Fiorita), instead mostly listing films of his I think I'd like to see. I decided to include only one example of his work as an extra in his early career (his very first movie, in fact) and then focus entirely on his '50s and '60s work, ignoring the '40s and '70s. No particular reason. His Disney entries intrigue me. Given the subject matter, I thought they might have been produced specifically for the UK market.

Good Morning, Boys (Dist. in the US by VCI Entertainment, 1937) - A schoolteacher (Will Hay) and his students visit Paris, where they outwit a gang of crooks. Todd appears as "Extra in Crowd".

The Assassin (Dist. in the US by United Artists, 1952) - A British private detective (Todd) travels to Venice on behalf of a French insurance company, thinking he's trying to give a financial reward to an Italian partisan (John Gregson) who rescued a downed Allied airman during the war. He quickly gets caught up in a political assassination conspiracy.

The Sword and the Rose (Disney, 1953) - During the reign of Henry VIII (James Robertson Justice), Mary Tudor (Glynis Johns) seeks to an escaped an arranged marriage to the king of France (Jean Mercure) by escaping to America with her true love (Todd), but her plans aren't so easily executed.
TCM Airings: 1 (no doubt on Treasures from the Disney Vaults)

Rob Roy: the Highland Rogue (Disney, 1953) - The wartime adventures of the Scottish highland leader Rob Roy MacGregor (Todd) during the reign of George I (Eric Pohlmann) in the 1700s.
TCM Airings: 1 (The same night, I'm guessing)

The Bed (Dist. in the US by Getz-Kingsley, 1954) - A French-Italian omnibus film that shows the adventures of four men from different cultural backgrounds each taking refuge in a cabin during a storm en route to a conference. Todd is in the first segment, playing a British officer during World War II who's to be billeted in a house in France, where he encounters a local woman (Jeanne Moreau) about to have a baby.

Intent to Kill (Dist. in the US by 20th Century Fox, 1958) - A British doctor working in a Canadian hospital (Todd) has to assist in a delicate brain operation on a South American leader (Herbert Lom) who's in hiding from assassins.

Breakout (Dist. in the US by Continental, 1959) - After a series of failed small-scale escape attempts, the British prisoners in an Italian POW camp in 1943 contrive a dramatic mass escape attempt. Todd is one of the prisoners. Interestingly, Richard Attenborough is in both this film and The Great Escape.

Never Let Go (Dist. in the US by Continental, 1960) - A cosmetics salesman (Todd) sets out to prove to himself and his wife (Elizabeth Sellars) that he's not a failure.
TCM Airings; 2

Jungle Fighters (Dist. in the US by Continental, 1961) - In 1942, a group of British soldiers on a mission in the Malaysian jungle get lost in the Japanese-controlled zone. Todd plays the no-nonsense leader desperately trying to get his men out of the potentially deadly situation.

The Battle of the Villa Fiorita (Warner Bros., 1965) - An English mother (Maureen O'Hara) leaves her husband (Todd) and two children (Martin Stephens and Elizabeth Dear) to follow her Italian lover (Rossano Brazzi) to a lakeside villa. Her children follow her, intent on breaking up the affair.
TCM Airings: 3

The Love-Ins (Columbia, 1967) - A college professor (Todd) resigns in protest after the expulsion of the staff of an underground student newspaper. He later joins their hippie movement and becomes their Messiah.

Subterfuge (Dist. in the US by Commonwealth United Entertainment, 1968) - A CIA agent (Gene Barry) goes to London to assist British intelligence to uncover a mole and destroy a foreign spy ring. Looks like Todd plays the British intelligence commander.

39 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I don't know if either of these two have ever had a SUTS Day, but I'll add the names of STEVE COCHRAN and MARI BLANCHARD.  Cheers.

I had to google Mari (Mary) Blanchard.      Wiki says "an American film and television actress, known foremost for her roles as a B movie femme fatale in American productions of the 1950s and early 1960s.";       I don't see where she was in any actual noir or crime films (expect The Crooked Web with Frank Lovejoy)  but mostly western \ adventure films.      I guess she was the girl on the wrong side of the  tracks in most of these films.

Steve Cochran would make for a solid SUTS day.      Cochran was a supporting player or secondary male lead in some major productions like Best Years of Our Lives,   White Heat,  The Dammed Don't Cry,  Dallas and a Song Is Born (a remake of Ball of Fire where Cochran takes on the role Dana Andrews played).       He also had leading roles in movies from non-major studios;  Inside the Walls of Folsom Prison,   Tomorrow is Another Day,   and Shark River.       

One film I would like TCM to show since I haven't seen it is Private Hell 36.     This 1954 crime film directed by Don Siegel and staring Ida Lupino along with husband Howard Duff sounds interesting . 

Mari%2BBlanchard%2Bsweater.jpgimage.jpeg.c1b8c43bae06a1671df6e3d3a76a9e2e.jpeg

42 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Steve Cochran would make for a solid SUTS day.      Cochran was a supporting player or secondary male lead in some major productions like Best Years of Our Lives,   White Heat,  The Dammed Don't Cry,  Dallas and a Song Is Born (a remake of Ball of Fire where Cochran takes on the role Dana Andrews played).       He also had leading roles in movies from non-major studios;  Inside the Walls of Folsom Prison,   Tomorrow is Another Day,   and Shark River.       

They should also show his last Transitional Noir Tell Me In The Sunlight (1965)

46 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

They should also show his last Transitional Noir Tell Me In The Sunlight (1965)

The film was co-produced and directed by Cochran as well.     Yea,  haven't seen it so it would be nice if TCM was to show it.

Have you seen Private Hell 36?       Says this is a routine cop drama but it does feature Ida.

Private hell 36.JPG

I'm a little surprised you'd not heard of MARI BLANCHARD, james and thy jazzy gee-tar.  

I remembered her from when I was a wee lad watching ABBOTT AND COSTELLO GO TO MARS (1953).  I reckon she's been seen on TCM sparingly in the past in "McLINTOCK!" and "TWICE-TOLD TALES".  She will be seen very soon on TCM -- albeit very early in the morning -- in RAILS INTO LARAMIE (1954). 

7 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I'm a little surprised you'd not heard of MARI BLANCHARD, james and thy jazzy gee-tar.  

I remembered her from when I was a wee lad watching ABBOTT AND COSTELLO GO TO MARS (1953).  I reckon she's been seen on TCM sparingly in the past in "McLINTOCK!" and "TWICE-TOLD TALES".  She will be seen very soon on TCM -- albeit very early in the morning -- in RAILS INTO LARAMIE (1954). 

After I did my google search  and  saw that one of her early films was A & C Go to Mars I did recall her in that film (but I haven't seen this for over a decade)    and I have seen the Wayne film McLintock (one of her last films).       I guess I have seen her more than I recall.      Often in these type of adventure or western films,  the gals are very secondary characters (well expect in the looks department!).

Rails into Laramie sounds interesting with John Payne and Dan Duryea.          Blanchard has a good part in this one and is on the right side of justice. 

Rails Into Laramie poster.jpg

3 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Richard Todd

Another actor with whom I'm largely unfamiliar. I've seen maybe three or four of his movies ever. I'm only including one of those on this list (The Battle of the Villa Fiorita), instead mostly listing films of his I think I'd like to see. I decided to include only one example of his work as an extra in his early career (his very first movie, in fact) and then focus entirely on his '50s and '60s work, ignoring the '40s and '70s. No particular reason. His Disney entries intrigue me. Given the subject matter, I thought they might have been produced specifically for the UK market.

Good Morning, Boys (Dist. in the US by VCI Entertainment, 1937) - A schoolteacher (Will Hay) and his students visit Paris, where they outwit a gang of crooks. Todd appears as "Extra in Crowd".

The Assassin (Dist. in the US by United Artists, 1952) - A British private detective (Todd) travels to Venice on behalf of a French insurance company, thinking he's trying to give a financial reward to an Italian partisan (John Gregson) who rescued a downed Allied airman during the war. He quickly gets caught up in a political assassination conspiracy.

The Sword and the Rose (Disney, 1953) - During the reign of Henry VIII (James Robertson Justice), Mary Tudor (Glynis Johns) seeks to an escaped an arranged marriage to the king of France (Jean Mercure) by escaping to America with her true love (Todd), but her plans aren't so easily executed.
TCM Airings: 1 (no doubt on Treasures from the Disney Vaults)

Rob Roy: the Highland Rogue (Disney, 1953) - The wartime adventures of the Scottish highland leader Rob Roy MacGregor (Todd) during the reign of George I (Eric Pohlmann) in the 1700s.
TCM Airings: 1 (The same night, I'm guessing)

The Bed (Dist. in the US by Getz-Kingsley, 1954) - A French-Italian omnibus film that shows the adventures of four men from different cultural backgrounds each taking refuge in a cabin during a storm en route to a conference. Todd is in the first segment, playing a British officer during World War II who's to be billeted in a house in France, where he encounters a local woman (Jeanne Moreau) about to have a baby.

Intent to Kill (Dist. in the US by 20th Century Fox, 1958) - A British doctor working in a Canadian hospital (Todd) has to assist in a delicate brain operation on a South American leader (Herbert Lom) who's in hiding from assassins.

Breakout (Dist. in the US by Continental, 1959) - After a series of failed small-scale escape attempts, the British prisoners in an Italian POW camp in 1943 contrive a dramatic mass escape attempt. Todd is one of the prisoners. Interestingly, Richard Attenborough is in both this film and The Great Escape.

Never Let Go (Dist. in the US by Continental, 1960) - A cosmetics salesman (Todd) sets out to prove to himself and his wife (Elizabeth Sellars) that he's not a failure.
TCM Airings; 2

Jungle Fighters (Dist. in the US by Continental, 1961) - In 1942, a group of British soldiers on a mission in the Malaysian jungle get lost in the Japanese-controlled zone. Todd plays the no-nonsense leader desperately trying to get his men out of the potentially deadly situation.

The Battle of the Villa Fiorita (Warner Bros., 1965) - An English mother (Maureen O'Hara) leaves her husband (Todd) and two children (Martin Stephens and Elizabeth Dear) to follow her Italian lover (Rossano Brazzi) to a lakeside villa. Her children follow her, intent on breaking up the affair.
TCM Airings: 3

The Love-Ins (Columbia, 1967) - A college professor (Todd) resigns in protest after the expulsion of the staff of an underground student newspaper. He later joins their hippie movement and becomes their Messiah.

Subterfuge (Dist. in the US by Commonwealth United Entertainment, 1968) - A CIA agent (Gene Barry) goes to London to assist British intelligence to uncover a mole and destroy a foreign spy ring. Looks like Todd plays the British intelligence commander.

Interesting choices.

NEVER LET GO is currently on YouTube. It features Peter Sellers in a supporting role (it's a dramatic role, and Sellers seldom did those). Todd is the star of the picture. It's an early kitchen sink drama and I think Todd does well but the script is a little bit one-dimensional.

JUNGLE FIGHTERS was on YouTube and might still be there somewhere. It's nicely done. Laurence Harvey and Richard Harris have supporting roles. Todd's the star. It's based on a play and a bit talky in spots but there are some action scenes.

A film that Jlewis and I reviewed a few weeks ago in the Essentials forum is THE BOYS (1962) an excellent legal drama about four teenage gangbangers who kill an old man. Three are convicted, one goes free. The oldest one of the convicted three is 18 so he gets the death penalty. Todd plays the prosecuting attorney while Robert Morley is cast as defense counsel. It's currently on YouTube. Highly recommended.

On Amazon Prime, one can find THE VERY EDGE (1963). This is a smart thriller set in the British suburbs. Todd's a respectable businessman whose wife is sexually attacked one day in their home while he's at work. He becomes obsessed with protecting his wife and obsessed with getting the man responsible for the crime, arrested. Jeremy Brett plays the bad guy.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

The film was co-produced and directed by Cochran as well.     Yea,  haven't seen it so it would be nice if TCM was to show it.

Have you seen Private Hell 36?       Says this is a routine cop drama but it does feature Ida.

Private hell 36.JPG

It's entertaining but you know what's gonna happen miles ahead of when it does, another not very noir-ish film with a twist at the end. Watch it for Lupino I gave it a 6/10

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

NEVER LET GO is currently on YouTube. It features Peter Sellers in a supporting role (it's a dramatic role, and Sellers seldom did those). Todd is the star of the picture. It's an early kitchen sink drama and I think Todd does well but the script is a little bit one-dimensional.

I loved Never Let Go a great Brit Noir. It nicely builds to an inevitable showdown punctuated by John Barry's score. It's what a noir should be, about interesting small time characters and simple conflicts that spiral bizarrely of control. It's been on TCM but there is an MGM DVD out there. Bravo 9/10

• Like 2

Joseph Schildkraut

Okay, I only know Joseph Schildkraut from three movies - The Life of Emile ZolaThe Shop Around the Corner and The Diary of Anne Frank. It's possible I've seen a few of his other movies and just didn't identify him. But I don't believe I've seen any of the 12 movies I picked below. I included a couple of his early Austrian films. A lot of these don't have imdb plot descriptions. I just picked them based on titles or recognition of other cast members.

Das Wiegenlied (Greenbaum-Film, 1916) - No plot information. Schildkraut's father, Rudoph Shcildkraut, is also in this film. The title means "The Lullabye".

Der Schwarze Fahne (Filmag, 1919) - No plot information. The title means "The Black Banner".

Meet the Prince (Producers Distributing Corp., 1926) - The Russian Revolution is listed as a plot keyword. Otherwise, I have no information. Bessie Love is also in it.

The Heart Thief (Producers Distributing Corp., 1927) - Again, no plot description. Schildkraut is top-billed.

The Blue Danube (Pathe, 1928) - Again, no plot description. May Robson is also in it. 

Venetian Nights (Dist. in the US by Mundus Distributing Corp., 1931) - During a performance of Othello, a jealous actor (Matheson Lang) attempts to strangle his wife (Simonetta Steno) because he believes she's commmitted adultery. Either A Double Life was adapted from this, or they're both adapted from some other source. Schildkraut is second-billed, but I found no description of his part. Maybe he's the suspected adulterer or a friend of the protagonist.

Sisters Under the Skin (Columbia, 1934) - No plot! Frank Morgan is also in it.

The Garden of Allah (United Artists, 1936) - The star-crossed desert romance of a cloistered woman (Marlene Dietrich) and a renegade monk (Charles Boyer). Schlidkraut plays a friendly, talkative guide.
TCM Airings: 14 

Marie Antoinette (MGM, 1938) - The tragic life of Marie Antoinette (Norma Shearer), who became queen of France when she was 16 (Shearer was 36, but whatever).  Schildkraut plays an aristocratic fop.
TCM Airings: 59

The Three Musketeers (20th Century Fox, 1939) - Not the MGM version, which TCM plays all the time, but a comic version with Don Ameche as a singing D'artagnan having to do all the work in front of the Ritz Brothers as three cowards pretending to be the Musketeers. Schildkraut plays King Louis XIII.

The Parson of Panamint (Paramount, 1941) - The mayor of the wild and woolly mining town of Panamint in Death Valley (Charles Ruggles) travels to San Francisco to find a preacher for the new church and encounters a man as handy with his fists as with delivering a sermon (Phillip Terry). I'm uncertain the nature of Schildkraut's role, but he may be a villain.

Monsieur Beaucaire (Paramount, 1946) - A bumbling barber (Bob Hope) in the court of King Louis XV (Reginald Owen) becomes engaged in a political intrigue when he masquerades as a dashing nobleman engaged to the princess of Spain (Marjorie Reynolds). Schildkraut is the villain.

• Like 2