Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TopBilled

Who would you like to see honored for 2020 Summer Under the Stars?

8 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Perhaps a GIA SCALA SUTS Day would be quite all right.  She didn't feature in enough films to be a 'Star of the Month', but she in was in enough movies to fill up a SUTS Day.  Barely.  

I think you're the first person to ever mention Gia Scala on these message boards! :) 

• Like 1

Her career peaked with the high-profile GUNS OF NAVARONE (1961) and then just petered out.  She was only in a couple of obscure theatrical features after that otherwise it was scattered television guest roles until 1969.  No appearances after '69. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Her career peaked with the high-profile GUNS OF NAVARONE (1961) and then just petered out.  She was only in a couple of obscure theatrical features after that otherwise it was scattered television guest roles until 1969.  No appearances after '69. 

I've discussed her on here in the past. Something about her beauty always stuck with me. She died under suspicious circumstances in '72 of a drug and alcohol interaction. It was ruled accidental, but others have suggested that it was suicide or even that she may have been murdered. 

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I've discussed her on here in the past. Something about her beauty always stuck with me. She died under suspicious circumstances in '72 of a drug and alcohol interaction. It was ruled accidental, but others have suggested that it was suicide or even that she may have been murdered. 

She was a beautiful woman but she had many mental problems,I'am trying to see all of her movies

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Perhaps a GIA SCALA SUTS Day would be quite all right.  She didn't feature in enough films to be a 'Star of the Month', but she in was in enough movies to fill up a SUTS Day.  Barely.  

Nice that you're bringing attention to actresses like Gia Scala (and Mari Blanchard).    As TB has been saying for years many of us are two star-focused (and that includes me from time to time).

I recall Scala from The Garment Jungle,  a 1957 Columbia noir\crime film.       Wish TCM would show the Errol Flynn \ Scala film The Big Boodle.   Don't recall seeing it but it sounds interesting (and I wonder how Flynn looks and moves in this film done not too long before he passed).

She also did a film with Robert Mitchum,  The Angry Hills (1955).             So yea,  this is the type of actress that SUTS should focus on!  

The Garment Jungle film poster.jpgGia Scala – MUBI पर फिल्में, बायोग्राफी और ...

• Like 2

There is another actress who crossed my mind.  A British actress named JANET MUNRO (1934-72).  She was in 3 Disney films -- I remember her specifically from 1959's "Darby O'Gill and the Little People" -- along with several other movies.  I looked at her filmography on the IMDb and I reckon TCM would need all her films to fill up a day of programming.  But it's a thought.

Hey Top, been in the hospital, don't have that virus though I never seem to get anything

Have the following stars ben SUTS yet

Sinatra, know N. wood has & Cagney, how about McQueen?

How about 3 time Oscar winner Walter Brennan?

Ir ward Bond

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

John Mills. I don't know if they've honored him before.

Excellent suggestion. I should have had him on my list.

26 minutes ago, spence said:

Hey Top, been in the hospital, don't have that virus though I never seem to get anything

Have the following stars ben SUTS yet

Sinatra, know N. wood has & Cagney, how about McQueen?

Hey spence. Glad you're doing okay.

Yes, Steve McQueen has been featured during Summer Under the Stars.

I know brennan hasn't though right?

5 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Nice that you're bringing attention to actresses like Gia Scala (and Mari Blanchard).    As TB has been saying for years many of us are two star-focused (and that includes me from time to time).

I recall Scala from The Garment Jungle,  a 1957 Columbia noir\crime film.       Wish TCM would show the Errol Flynn \ Scala film The Big Boodle.   Don't recall seeing it but it sounds interesting (and I wonder how Flynn looks and moves in this film done not too long before he passed).

She also did a film with Robert Mitchum,  The Angry Hills (1955).             So yea,  this is the type of actress that SUTS should focus on!  

She was also in DON'T GO NEAR THE WATER (1957), TIP ON A DEAD JOCKEY (1957) and TUNNEL OF LOVE (1958)...all are MGM titles and in the Turner library.

Who hasn't, thought they hit pretty much everybody, or most name above the title stars

1 minute ago, spence said:

I know brennan hasn't though right?

No. He has not been featured (yet).

Just now, TopBilled said:

She was also in DON'T GO NEAR THE WATER (1957) and TIP ON A DEAD JOCKEY (1957)...both are MGM titles and in the Turner library.

what about about Beery or W.C. Fields?

Do you mean The Great oneGleason's Woody Allen adaptation of DON'T GO NEAR THE WATER?  Ever see him trippin on lsd in skidoo?

Just now, spence said:

what about about Beery or W.C. Fields?

Yes, Beery has had a SUTS day. 

Field has not. But he was Star of the Month, a long time ago, when TCM was in its early days.

Yes, Beery has had a SUTS day. 

Field has not. But he was Star of the Month, a long time ago, when TCM was in its early days.

Then he's really long overdue, huh  

Just now, spence said:

Do you mean The Great oneGleason's Woody Allen adaptation of DON'T GO NEAR THE WATER?  Ever see him trippin on lsd in skidoo?

No. That's DON'T DRINK THE WATER (1969).

DON'T GO NEAR THE WATER (1957) is a military comedy starring Glenn Ford. Gia Scala plays a supporting role in it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don't_Go_Near_the_Water_(film)

No. He has not been featured (yet).

Really?    Hey,  I'm not questioning what you're saying but I find that had to believe (I guess accept),   given his standing and film legacy (e.g.  likely in most people's top-5 as a supporting actor).       E.g.  TCM recently showed Pride of the Yankees.     I only watched a small part it since I've seen the film so many times,  but what impressed me was Brennan and how in this role he played it "straight".        I.e. a part that didn't really utilize his screen persona but he was still solid (of course that is also true with Dan Duryea in this film,  but at this stage of Duryea's career he really hadn't established his screen persona yet).

1 minute ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Really?    Hey,  I'm not questioning what you're saying but I find that had to believe (I guess accept),   given his standing and film legacy (e.g.  likely in most people's top-5 as a supporting actor).       E.g.  TCM recently showed Pride of the Yankees.     I only watched a small part it since I've seen the film so many times,  but what impressed me was Brennan and how in this role he played it "straight".        I.e. a part that didn't really utilize his screen persona but he was still solid (of course that is also true with Dan Duryea in this film,  but at this stage of Duryea's career he really hadn't established his screen persona yet).

thanx for reply!   Duryea didn't live long after the terrific Flight of the Phoenix

Just now, spence said:

thanx for reply!   Duryea didn't live long after the terrific Flight of the Phoenix

trivia of him, recall the weasels in ROGER RABBIT...? They were taken right from him & the gangsters in BALL OF FIRE

Just now, spence said:

trivia of him, recall the weasels in ROGER RABBIT...? They were taken right from him & the gangsters in BALL OF FIRE

Speaking of Pheonix  (***1/2) went to a flat (**) rehash once of it