Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who would you like to see honored for 2020 Summer Under the Stars?

4 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Jane Darwell

Jane Darwell had a 50-year career dating back to the earliest days of Hollywood up through Mary Poppins. I also remember reading somewhere that  young Robert Osborne lived in her house. I don't remember the story behind that. Just to be contrarian I left off her Oscar-winning performance in The Grapes of Wrath. I actually have seen five of these 12 movies. I usually don't include so many ones that I've seen, but I thought they were all worth recommending.

Tom Sawyer (Paramount, 1930) - In this Paramount version of the classic Mark Twain tale, Tom (Jackie Coogan) and his pals Huckleberry Finn (Junior Dirken) and Joe Harper (Dick Winslow) have numerous adventures, including running away to become pirates and, after everyone believes they've drowned, attending their own funerals. Darwell has a small part as Huck's caretaker, the Widow Douglas, a role she reprised with more screen time in the followup, Huckleberry Finn, the following year.
TCM Airings: 0

Child of Manhattan (Columbia, 1933) - A man (John Boles) is extraordinarily wealthy because his grandfather happened to buy farmland in what would become midtown Manhattan. To reassure his worried aunt (Clara Blandick) that everything is legitimate, he visits one of his tenants, a dance hall. There, he's charmed by a dime-a-dance girl (Nancy Carroll). They begin a secret affair which turns into a secret marriage when they discover she's pregnant. She has a miscarriage. Thinking he only married her because of the baby, she flees to Mexico for a divorce, where she takes up with a former suitor who now owns a silver mine there (Buck Jones). Things get more complicated when the millionaire follows her. Darwell plays Carroll's mother.
TCM Airings: 5

Design for Living (Paramount, 1933) - A woman (Miriam Hopkins) can't decide between two men who love her (Gary Cooper and Frederic March), and the trio decide to try living together in a friendly, ostensibly platonic relationship. Darwell plays Cooper's housekeeper.
TCM Airings: 13

Let's Talk It Over (Universal, 1934) - A young sailor (Chester Morris) thinks he's saved a woman (Mae Clarke) from drowning. Unfortunately for the sailor, she was only pretending to be drowning so that another young man she had her eye on (John Warburton) could attempt to rescue her. Darwell is 12th-billed; I couldn't find any info about her character.

Bright Eyes (Fox Film Corp., 1934) - An orphaned girl (Shirley Temple) is taken in by a wealthy, snobbish family at the insistence of their rich, crotchety uncle (Charles Sellon), even as her devoted aviator godfather (James Dunn) fights for custody. Darwell plays the chef for the wealthy family.
TCM Airings: 15

Little Miss Nobody (20th Century Fox, 1936) - A girl (Jane Withers) gets in trouble in her orphanage and is sent to reform school.  She escapes en route and is taken to trial where she discovers her father (Ralph Morgan) is the prosecutor. Darwell is second-billed, but I don't have any information about her role.

Wife, Doctor and Nurse (20th Century Fox, 1937) - A social butterfly (Loretta Young) marries a Park Avenue doctor (Warner Baxter) but discovers his nurse (Virginia Bruce) is in love with him (sounds a bit like Wife vs. Secretary). Darwell plays Baxter's housekeeper.

Unexpected Father (Universal, 1939) - A man (Dennis O'Keefe) learns that his former dancing partner has been killed, leaving a baby boy (Baby Sandy), So, he takes in the baby to live with him and his roommate (Mischa Auer). The baby catches the measles, and the two men miss a big audition while quarantined. Meanwhile, the man's girlfriend (Diana Donovan) has dinner with his manager (Donald Briggs) to try to smooth things over so he won't be fired for missing work, but that only sends the man into a fit of jealousy. Darwell is 13th-billed. I don't know anything about her role.

All That Money Can Buy (RKO, 1941) - Re-released under the title The Devil and Daniel Webster. A New Hampshire farmer in the 1800s (James Craig) makes a pact with Satan (Walter Huston) for riches, then enlists Daniel Webster (Edward Arnold) to extract him from his contract. Darwell plays the protagonist's mother.
TCM Airings: 16

Tender Comrade (RKO, 1943) - A young defense plant worker (Ginger Rogers) whose husband (Robert Ryan) is serving in World War II shares a house with three other women in the same situation (Ruth Hussey, Patricia Collinge, Kim Hunter). The film's "share and share alike" credo was used as evidence against writer Dalton Trumbo and director Edward Dymytryk, both of whom ended up as members of the blacklisted Hollywood 10. Darwell comforts the sobbing Rogers as her husband is leaving early in the movie then doesn't reappear. If she had more scenes, they were cut.
TCM Airings: 27

Train to Alcatraz (Republic, 1948) - A group of prisoners being transported by train to Alcatraz prison plot an escape. Darwell is sixth-billed; don't know anything about her role. She's ... on the train, maybe?

Journey into Light (20th Century Fox, 1951) - The wife (Peggy Webber) of an ambitious minister (Sterling Hayden) commits suicide. Embittered, he turns away from God and winds up a bum on Skid Row until he finds meaning in life again through the love of the blind daughter (Viveca Lindefors) of a missionary (Ludwig Donath). While I've seen it (on YouTube), I've forgotten the nature of Darwell's character. She's sixth-billed.

TRAIN TO ALCATRAZ is a great Republic crime flick. I had the chance to see it when a digitally restored copy was uploaded on the Paramount Vault page for awhile (Paramount now controls the Republic library). Darwell plays the mother of one of the convicts. She doesn't have much screen time but makes the most of her scenes. She's not on train, but appears at the depot if I remember correctly.

I forgot she was in TENDER COMRADE.

Glad you included BRIGHT EYES.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Valerie Hobson

She has a brief but pretty interesting bio on imdb. She trained as a dancer but after a bout with scarlet fever gave it up at the age of 16. She came to Hollywood and was under contract to Universal from roughly the ages 17-21. She was only 18 when she appeared in Bride of Frankenstein! Obviously, she didn't play the role of Dr. Frankenstein's wife in the original Frankenstein, when she would have been 14. Anyway, she "became disillusioned with the studio system", whatever that means, and returned to England, where she often played aristocrats in British films. Ironically, many of these films were released in America through what was now called Universal-International. Her first husband, the producer Anthony Havelock-Allan, often used her as his leading lady (some people on imdb don't think David Lean particularly wanted her for Great Expectations but had no choice). She later married the politician John Profumo and retired from acting at the age of 37 in 1954. Of course, he was part of the big sex scandal in the early '60s. She resolutely stood by her husband during these trying times. She also devoted herself to charity work, improving life for mentally challenged children and lepers. She died in the late '90s at the age of 81. I've only seen three of these films, Bride of FrankensteinGreat Expectations and The Rocking Horse Winner. I was so ignorant of her career I didn't realize it was the same actress in these three films until today. I purposely left off Great Expectations when I made my dream list of a John Mills SUTS day in an earlier post, but I love this movie and can't ignore it twice.

His Lordship (Dist. in the US by United Artists, 1932) - A man (Jerry Verno) becomes a lord but to please his mother (Muriel George) agrees to pose as the fiancee of a movie star (Janet McGrew). In her film debut, a 15-year-old Hobson playes "Last Face in Montage". This movie was thought lost for 65 years, but a print was discovered in the late '90s. If it's any condition to be shown on TCM, I have no idea.

Strange Wives (Universal, 1934) - When a young man (Roger Pryor) marries a Russian girl (June Clayworth), he discovers he's married her entire family.  Looks like Hobson is a member of that family, the sister of the female lead maybe?

Bride of Frankenstein (Universal, 1935) - Mary Shelly (Elsa Lanchester) reveals the main characters of her novel survived: Dr. Frankenstein (Colin Clive) is goaded by an even madder scientist (Ernest Thesiger) to build his monster (Boris Karloff) a mate (also Lanchester).  Hobson plays Frankenstein's wife.

Werewolf of London (Universal, 1935) - Ahoooooooohhhh!!!!  The juice of a rare Tibetan flower is the only thing that keeps a man (Henry Hull) from turning into a werewolf during a full moon. No information about whether his hair was perfect. Hobson plays the man's lovely, younger, occasionally neglected wife.

Chinatown Squad (Universal, 1935) - Police search for the killer of a man (Clay Clement) who misused $700,000 intended for the Chinese Communists. Hobson, in her final American film, plays a mysterious woman in black trying to retrieve some incriminating letters from the dead man.

No Exit (Pathe, 1936) - To win a bet, a man (Anthony Wild) attempts to hide his friend (Billy Milton) for a month. The police soon believe he's murdered him. Hobson plays a friend of the murder suspect who's married to a much older man (Henry Oscar).

Shadows of the Underworld (Dist. in the US by Monogram, 1939) - A British reporter (Barry Barnes) and his wife (Hobson) on vacation in Paris run into a gang of counterfeiters.

The Spy in Black (Dist. in the US by Columbia, 1939) - A German submarine is sent to the Orkney Isles in 1917 to sink the British fleet.  The U-boat commander (Conrad Veidt) finds himself distracted by a mutual attraction with a local school mistress (Hobson). A Powell-Pressburger film! Their first?
TCM Airings: 11

Blackout (Dist. in the US by United Artists, 1940) - Early in World War II, a Danish sea captain (Conrad Veidt), delayed in a British port for a routine contraband check, tangles with German spies. Hobson plays a spy for the Admirality who steals Veidt's landing pass.
TCM Airings: 4 (Under its original British title Contraband)

Great Expectations (Dist. in the US by Universal, 1947) - A humble orphan (played as an adult by John Mills) suddenly becomes a gentleman thanks to the help of an unknown benefactor. Hobson plays the adult Estella, trained from youth by her eccentric shut-in guardian Miss Havisham (Martita Hunt) to break men's hearts.
TCM Airings: 22

The Rocking Horse Winner (Dist. in the US by Universal, 1949) - A young boy (John Howard Davies) receives a rocking horse for Christmas and soon learns that he's able to pick the winning horses at races. Hobson plays the boy's wasteful, compulsive-buying mother.
TCM Airings: 3

The Promoter (Dist. in the US by Universal, 1952) - A charming and ambitious young man (Alec Guiness) finds many ways to raise himself through the ranks in his business and social standing, some honest, some not quite so. If he can just manage to avoid a certain very predatory woman (Glynis Johns). Hobson plays an aristocratic countess.
TCM Airings: 1 (Under its original British title The Card)

• Like 2

Max Von Sydow

All right, here are my pics for a Max Von Sydow day, if I was TCM' programming director, and I had an unlimited budget and access to films. I tried to present a diverse panorama of the types of films he made and roles he played, in all sorts of countries and languages. I only included two Bergman films. I thought one could easily overload a career retrospective with just those films. I also went for movies I mostly haven't seen, some of which are pretty obscure. I've only seen Three Days of the Condor and Europa.

Brollopsdagen (Nordisk Tonfilm, 1960) - A man (Von Sydow) and a woman  (Bibi Andersson) are about to get married, but the woman changes her mind and runs away at the altar. The title means "wedding anniversary".

Through a Glass Darkly (Dist. in the US by Janus, 1961) - Recently released from a mental hospital, a woman (Harriet Andersson) rejoins her emotionally disconnected family on their island home, only to slip from reality as she begins to believe she's being visited by God. Von Sydow plays her kind but increasingly desperate husband.
TCM Airings: 4

Shame (Dist. in the US by Lopert, 1968) - In the midst of a civil war in an unnamed  country, two former violinists who have a tempestuous marriage (Liv Ullman, Von Sydow)  run a farm on a rural island. In spite of their best efforts to escape their homeland, the war impinges on every aspect of their lives.

Made in Sweden (Svensk Filmindustri, 1969) - Two journalists (Lena Granhagen, Per Myrberg) travel to Thailand to investigate rumors that a Swedish company is engaged in illicit arms sales there. I can't find any info about Von Sydow's role, but he's third-billed. Seems likely he's the villain.

Trompe l'oiel (Dist. in the US by Lugo Films, 1974) - A woman (Laure Dechasnel) lives with her husband (Von Sydow) in Belgium, where she works as a restorer of paintings. After she becomes pregnant, she begins having half-memories of a painting she began some time ago, but she has no recollection of what happened to it. She dedicates herself to discovering and clarifying the mystery behind the painting. At the same time, she notices that a strange man (Francoise Arnal) is following all her moves. The title means "optical illusion".

Three Days of the Condor (Paramount, 1975) - A bookish CIA researcher (Robert Redford) finds all his colleagues dead and must outwit those responsible until he can find out who he can really trust. Von Sydow plays a sophisticated hit man.
TCM Airings: 8

Death Watch (Dist. in the US by Quartet Films, 1980) - In a future where dying of illness is extremely rare, a terminally ill woman (Romy Schneider) becomes a celebrity, and a man with a camera implanted in his head (Harvey Keitel) secretly films her for a morbid reality TV show. Von Sydow has a cameo as the woman's father.
TCM Airings: 2

Code Name: Emerald (MGM, 1985) - A German secret agent planted in Allied intelligence in 1944 (Ed Harris) is sent to be the cell mate of a man (Eric Stoltz) the Nazis believe knows the date and place of D-Day. Von Sydow plays an old-school Prussian officer who loves the Fatherland but has little time for its leaders.

Europa (Dist. in the US by Prestige, 1991) - An American (Jean-Marc Barr) takes a railway job in Germany but finds himself in a politically sensitive position as various people try to use him. Von Sydow provides the memorably nihilistic voiceover narration. Early Lars Von Trier film, maybe his first?

Truck Stop (?, 1996) - It's a German movie, and Von Sydow is in it. I don't know that it was ever released in America in any platform, and I don't know anything about the plot. You're welcome.

Emotional Arithmetic (Dist. in the US by Image Entertainment, 2007) - A bond between three people in a German concentration camp (Susan Sarandon, Gabriel Byrne, Von Sydow) is still there many years after they were released. They all still have deep scars from back then. One of them invites the others for a reunion, and they go out for a night they'll never forget. 

The Command (Dist. in the US by Saban, 2018) - Following the real-life events of the Kursk K-141 submarine disaster in 2000 and the governmental negligence that followed. Von Sydow at the age of 90 plays a naval admiral.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, yanceycravat said:

Marie Wilson (if she hasn't been already)

Even if she was,  I say,  lets have her on yet again.   She had such youthfulness;   E.g. When I saw her in the Martin \ Lewis My Friend Irma,   I assumed she was in her mid-twenties,  but then I saw her in early 30s films,  and,  well,   knew she wasn't 15 in those  (born 1916 so 33 in My Friend Irma).      While she mostly did comedies,  she was also in some first rate dramas,  making for a nice day of programming.      My line-up would be:

The Great Garrick  - James Wales directed romantic comedy with Brian Aherne and Olivia DeHavilland.

The Invisible Menace -  Mystery film with Boris Karloff

Fools for Scandal -  Carole Lombard comedy

The Private Affairs of Bel Ami - George Sanders  

My Friend Irma and My Friend Irma Goes West

Mary Me Again, - Bob Cummings

• Like 1
4 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Even if she was,  I say,  lets have her on yet again.   She had such youthfulness;   E.g. When I saw her in the Martin \ Lewis My Friend Irma,   I assumed she was in her mid-twenties,  but then I saw her in early 30s films,  and,  well,   knew she wasn't 15 in those  (born 1916 so 33 in My Friend Irma).      While she mostly did comedies,  she was also in some first rate dramas,  making for a nice day of programming.      My line-up would be:

The Great Garrick  - James Wales directed romantic comedy with Brian Aherne and Olivia DeHavilland.

I would add:

Boy Meets Girl - James Cagney comedy

The Cowboy Quarterback - Bert Wheeler comedy

Satan Met a Lady - Warren William incarnation of the The Maltese Falcon

China Clipper - rarely seen early Bogart film

10 minutes ago, yanceycravat said:

I would add:

Boy Meets Girl - James Cagney comedy

The Cowboy Quarterback - Bert Wheeler comedy

Satan Met a Lady - Warren William incarnation of the The Maltese Falcon

China Clipper - rarely seen early Bogart film

Don't know how I left off the very funny,  early film of hers,   Boy Meets Girl.    I was trying to keep the list down to films that would fit within 24 hours (SUTS),  but adding this one at 83 minutes still works.

Boy Meets Girl (1938 film) poster.jpg

6 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

She's also in NEVER WAVE AT A WAC (1953) playing Rosalind Russell's pal. 

Re: Irma, she played the role on radio then on television for two seasons. The movies were made while the radio show was in production, before the TV series. It was her most popular character.

5 hours ago, Athos said:

How about Robert Donat? He's deserving of a tribute. I'd like to see The Young Mr. Pitt (1942) included as a premiere, which was directed by Carol Reed. 

Yes, I second this choice. Fantastic actor deserving more recognition. And while we're on the subject of British actors, I'd like to suggest Richard Attenborough.

• Like 1

Hayley Mills

I already did a lineup for her father John but I didn't include any of their collaborations on that list, so I put a few on this one. While I suspect an actual TCM day, if she ever gets one, would focus on her tween years at Disney, I focused more on older Haley; other than her one appearance in a film as an infant, I jumped ahead to at least age 15 for all the rest. That leaves out probably most of her most famous films. In fact, I only included one Disney film, which she made when she was 18.  After she appeared with her father in Tiger Bay, Walt Disney signed her to a five-year contract, and she became world famous. She shocked the world a bit with The Family Way, about newlyweds who hesitate to actually consummate their marriage. Haven't seen that one, but I suspect it's fairly mild in hindsight. Perhaps even more shocking, at the age of 20, she began dating that film's 53-year-old director, Roy Boulting, and they married five years later (and divorced five years after that).  She hasn't done much film work since the mid-'70s, concentrating on stage and television (she was on the show that turned into Saved by the Bell, I think? This is a seminal show to the sub-generation just below mine), but I included what few modern films I could find. I haven't seen any of these movies except for The Trouble with Angels.

So Well Remembered (Dist. in the US by RKO, 1947) - On V-E day, a mayor (John Mills) recalls the events of the previous 25 years in his  hometown of Browdley.  As a city councilman and newspaper editor, he fights hard to better living and working conditions in the bleak Lancashire mill town. As a young man, he meets and marries a woman (Martha Scott) whose father (Frederick Leister) has been jailed in a scandal involving the mill he owns. His ambitious wife helps get him within striking distance of a seat in Parliament, but a case of diphtheria changes his outlook and also changes their lives forever. A one-year-old Hayley Mills is uncredited in an appearance in her father's film as an infant.
TCM Airings: 24

Whistle Down the Wind (Dist. in the US by Pathe-America Distributing Co., 1961) - An injured wife murderer (Alan Bates) takes refuge on a remote Lancashire farm, where the three children (Mills, Diane Holgate, Alan Barnes) of the owner (Bernard Lee) mistake him for the Second Coming of Jesus Christ.

The Moon-Spinners (Disney, 1964) - Traveling through Crete to collect folk music recordings for the BBC, a British teen (Mills) and her aunt (Joan Greenwood) stumble upon local criminals who are peddling gems from a London bank.
TCM Airings: 1 (No doubt on a Treasures from the Disney Vault night)

The Truth about Spring (Universal, 1965) - A Caribbean sailor (John Mills) and his tomboy daughter (Mills) search for buried treasure but run into unsavory characters and a cute lawyer (James MacArthur) who's after romance.

The Trouble with Angels (Columbia, 1966) - Two high-spirited young students at St. Rachel's Academy for Girls (Mills, June Harding) keep things hopping for the challenged Mother Superior (Rosalind Russell) and her bewildered sisters. Directed by Ida Lupino!
TCM Airings: 21

The Daydreamer (Dist. in the US by Embassy, 1966) - An animated anthology of fairy tales by Hans Christian Andersen: "The Little Mermaid", "The Emperor's New Clothes", "Thumbelina" and "The Garden of Paradise". Mills provides the voice of the Little Mermaid.
TCM Airings: 2 (the second airing is next month!)

Twisted Nerve (Dist. in the US by National General, 1968) - A troubled young man (Hywell Bennett) with a mother who treats him like a child (Phyllis Calvert), a father who will find any excuse to administer corporal punishment (Frank Finlay) and a brother with Down's Syndrome retreats into the alternate personality of a six-year-old boy. It's in this state he befriends a young woman (Mills), but his friendship turns into obsession. When she tries to distance from him, he goes on a killing spree, intending to make her his next target.

The Bananas Boat (Dist. in the US by Stirling Gold, 1975) - A man (Douglas McClure) is on the run, being chased by an irate husband (Warren Mitchell) with murder on his mind and by the authorities on an unnamed island full of political turmoil. He hops on an old ship and finds he has to skipper it all the way to Ireland. Mills plays the stepdaughter of the original skipper (Lionel Jeffries).

Deadly Strangers (Dist. in the US by Scotia America, 1975) - Amidst warnings of a dangerous patient who's escaped from a mental hospital (Simon Ward), a young woman (Mills) hitches rides on a highway with a various assortment of motorists.
TCM Airings; 0

After Midnight (Channel Four Films, 1990) - An alcoholic night watchman in a Dublin hotel (Saeed Jaffrey) redeems himself with help from a new assistant (Rajit Singh). Mills is second-billed, but I don't know anything about her part.

A Troll in Central Park (Warner Bros., 1994) - In this animated film, an evil queen (Cloris Leachman) banishes a flower-loving troll (Dom Deluise) to New York City, where he meets two young children (Philip Glasser, Tawny Sunshine Glover). Mills is fifth-billed, but none of the 35 reviews on imdb mention her, so I have no idea what her part is.

2B Perfectly Honest (2B Pictures, 2004) - Two partners (Adam Trese, Andrew McCarthy) see their dot-com startup collapse before going online. One, a broke bachelor, reluctantly moves back into his parents' home. The other, a computer whiz with a wife and son, ponders the unthinkable - getting a real job. I don't have a lot of info. Looks like maybe Mills plays the single man's mother. One imdb user says it's not much more than a cameo.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Re: Irma, she played the role on radio then on television for two seasons. The movies were made while the radio show was in production, before the TV series. It was her most popular character.

I love her on the radio show as well. She seems to have been a lovely person.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, yanceycravat said:

I love her on the radio show as well. She seems to have been a lovely person.

Episodes of the TV series are available for viewing at UCLA, which is where I saw some of them.

Ward Bond

Ward Bond was in a lot of movies. More than 250 movies. It's almost overwhelming to try to make any kind of 12-film retrospective representing all phases of his career. He was in some of the most famous movies of all time: The Maltese FalconThe Quiet ManGone With the WindIt Happened One Night. His last film was Rio Bravo. Many of these movies he wasn't in very long. He was perfectly content being a supporting man and bit player, I guess. He was still appearing in uncredited roles in some films at the end of his career. Here's something I learned recently about Bond by reading a John Wayne biography. According to this author, Bond was the go-to man during the Red Scare if you were  under any sort of suspicion. If he thought you were red or even pink, you didn't work. I have no idea how a character actor and bit player got this kind of power, maybe because of his friendships with Johns Wayne and Ford. I'm not sure. Anyway, he died pretty young at 57.

So, I'm doing something a little different this time. I picked 12 early career films, all made in the '30s, all done when he was between the ages of 28 and 35. I haven't actually seen any of these films, but I liked the casts and/or plot descriptions enough to be intrigued by all of them.

The Brat (Fox Film Corp., 1931) - A society novelist (Alan Dinehart) brings a brash young chorus girl (Sally O'Neil) back to his family home to study her as inspiration for his new novel. His family is initially distraught, but soon her behavior has permanently altered their snobbish ways. I would assume this one is in the Ford at Fox box set? Bond plays a court policeman.

That's My Boy (Columbia, 1932) - A young man (Richard Cromwell) goes to a Connecticut college to become a doctor but is soon discovered to be a prodigious football talent. He becomes a national star and falls in love, but but fame and some ill-advised financial deals threaten to ruin his future. Bond has one scene as a partially washed up ex-football player who puts Cromwell wise to the fact that his college and team are using him while he gets nothing out of it. Sounds relevant to today! Will college football players ever compensated for use of their likenesses in video games, for example?
TCM Airings;  1 (Last September, I missed it)

Heroes for Sale (Warner Bros., 1933) - A veteran (Richard Barthelmess) fights drug addiction to make his way in the business world. I can't find any information about Bond's part. He's uncredited, playing someone named "Red".
TCM Airings: 16

The Fighting Ranger (Columbia, 1934) - When an outlaw (Bradley Page) and his gang cross the border for a raid, they kill a man (Paddy O'Flynn) who was the brother of a Texas Ranger (Jim Houston). The Ranger takes leave from the organization and crosses the border pretending to be a wanted outlaw. He joins the gang, hoping to lure them back across the border so they can be arrested. Bond plays one of the gang members.

Girl in Danger (Columbia, 1934) - An inspector (Ralph Bellamy) tracks a stolen emerald, last pilfered by a now-murdered gangster (Charles Sabin). Bond plays the triggerman who kills the gangster. The last of a four-film series in which Bellamy played Inspector Steve Trent, and the second in a row Bond was also in (playing different characters).

Fighting Shadows (Columbia, 1935) - A Mountie (Tim McCoy) is sent to Indian River to investigate a fur trading racket, but he quickly finds himself in trouble when he's accused of shooting a prisoner (Si Jenks) in the back and is then put in jail by a fellow Mountie (Robert Allan). Bond plays the brother of the girl McCoy is sweet on (Geneva Mitchell), who thinks McCoy stole a fur pelt, then joined the Mounties to avoid prosecution.

Last Days of Pompeii (RKO, 1935) - In the doomed Roman city, a gentle blacksmith (Preston Foster) becomes a corrupt gladiator, while his son Flavius (played as a boy by David Holt and as an adult by John Wood) leans toward Christianity. Bond plays another gladiator.
TCM Airings: 12

Colleen (Warner Bros., 1936) - A big company tries to keep the family patriarch (Hugh Herbert) from having to make any decisions or do any work. Trouble starts when he hires a schemer (Jack Oakie) as his personal assistant and a woman (Joan Blondell) who loves fashion. He buys the woman a dress shop where a more responsible woman (Ruby Keeler) works as the bookkeeper. Scandal erupts at the shop, and the patriarch's nephew (Dick Powell) goes to shut it down. But he doesn't after he becomes infatuated with the bookkeeper. Bond plays a police officer.
TCM Airings: 19

They Met in a Taxi (Columbia, 1936) - A cab driver (Chester Morris) takes in a young woman who claims to be a reluctant bride (Fay Wray) and becomes involved in a search for a stolen necklace. Bond again plays a policeman.

23 1/2 Hours Leave (Grand National, 1937) - A sergeant in World War I (James Ellison) bets his boot-camp pals that he'll eat dinner with the general (Paul Harvey). Bond plays the top sergeant.

Music for Madame (RKO, 1937) - A singer (real-life operatic tenor Nino Martini) is tricked by jewel thieves to provide a distraction by singing to a wealthy audience while they make off with a heist. After running away, he has to prove his innocence to both the police and the young female composer (Joan Fontaine) with whom he's fallen in love. Bond plays one of the thugs.

Gun Law (RKO, 1938) - A U.S. Marshal (George O'Brien) encounters an armed man (Edward Pawley) in the desert and is relieved of his horse, clothes and water. The real outlaw dies from drinking bad water, and when the marshal, still dressed in the old clothes the outlaw left behind, everyone in the next town thinks he's the outlaw. He keeps up the disguise so he can bring lawlessness to an end in the town. Bond plays one of the outlaw's henchmen.
TCM Airings: 9

• Like 2

Beulah Bondi

She played James Stewart's mother at least three times (not entirely unfeasible to imagine, but she was only 19 years older than him). She had that matronly look at a relatively early age, although as a stage veteran, she didn't make her first movie until the age of 43. I'm pretty sure she's the subject of one of those "What a Character" shorts or a similar TCM feature (maybe that's Mildred Natwick. Or maybe they both have one). She was mostly a character actress, but I'm including a couple of leading roles. She lived to be 92 and only died after developing complications from breaking her ribs after tripping over her cat. I'm not including either of her Oscar-nominated performances (Of Human HeartsThe Gorgeous Hussy) nor am I including It's a Wonderful Life, which TCM will probably never show.  This seems like a very doable list. TCM has previously aired all but three of these movies. Personally, I've only seen four of them.

Rain (United Artists, 1932) - A prostitute newly arrived in the South Pacific (Joan Crawford) finds herself at odds with a stern missionary determined to save her soul (Walter Huston). Bondi plays the minister's wife.
TCM Airings: 20

Two Alone (RKO, 1934) - A poor orphan girl (Jean Parker) is mistreated by a cruel farmer (Arthur Byron) and his wife (Bondi), for whom she works. When a reform school runaway (Tom Brown) arrives, he's put to work by the farmer and also mistreated. The youngsters fall in love, but their happiness is threatened by the farmer. A new farmhand (Willard Robertson) holds the key to their happiness and to her past.
TCM Airings: 5

The Trail of the Lonesome Pine (Paramount, 1936) - A railroad man from the city (Fred MacMurray) befriends a mountain girl (Sylvia Sydney) in a Kentucky family feud. Bondi plays Sydney's mother.

Hearts Divided (Warner Bros., 1936) - Napoleon (Claude Rains) needs money to fight his war in Europe, so he wants $20 million from the United States for the Louisiana Territory. To help the negotiations, he sends his brother (Dick Powell) on a US goodwill tour. At a horse track in Maryland, he meets and falls for a woman (Marion Davies) and arranges to become her French tutor. She already has three suitors (Arthur Treacher, Edward Everett Horton, Charles Ruggles), but she soon also falls in love with him, though her family tries to dissuade her, believing him to be a commoner. They meet again at a reception in Washington, D.C., and she agrees to marry him but Napoleon wants him to do what's best for France and marry into royalty. Bondi has only one scene as the kindhearted mother of the Bonaparte brothers. 
TCM Airings: 19

Make Way for Tomorrow (Paramount, 1937) - An elderly couple (Victor Moore, Bondi) are forced to separate when they lose their house and none of their five children (Fay Bainter, Thomas Mitchell, Barbara Read, Minna Gombell, Ray Mayer) will take them both in.

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (Columbia, 1939) - A naive young man (James Stewart) is appointed to fill out the term in a US Senate seat. He promptly comes into a clash with the forces of corruption, but he doesn't back down. Bondi plays Stewart's mother.
TCM Airings: 85

The Captain is a Lady (MGM, 1940) - Because of a bad investment, a retired sea captain (Charles Coburn) and his wife (Bondi) are evicted from their home. Touched by the threat of their separation, the residents of a single women only retirement home vote to let both of them stay. The captain is uncomfortable being surrounded by so much femininity and angered by the teasing of his pals. He resolves to assert his manhood.
TCM Airings: 10

One Foot in Heaven (Warner Bros., 1941) - An episodic look at the lives of one preacher (Frederic March) and his family as they move from one parish to another. Bondi plays one of the wealthier church patrons at one of the preacher's stops.
TCM Airings: 41

And Now Tomorrow (Paramount, 1944) - A wealthy woman (Loretta Young) who's lost her hearing due to meningitis meets a doctor (Alan Ladd) who's working on a serum to cure deafness. Bondi plays a society matron.

Breakfast in Hollywood (United Artists, 1946) - The story of a few people who attend an airing of what was once a real-life radio show. Bondi and Zasu Pitts play excited housewives who anxiously await a chance to attend and possibly win a prize.

The Baron of Arizona (Lippert, 1950) - A master swindler (Vincent Price) spends years painstakingly forging documents and land grants that will make his wife (Ellen Drew) and him the undisputed owners of the entire state of Arizona. Bondi plays the wife's tutor.

Latin Lovers (MGM, 1953) - A woman (Lana Turner) with $37,000 in the bank thinks every man she meets prefers her bankbook figure to her, including her fiancee (John Lund), even though he has $48,000. He goes to Brazil to play polo, and she follows along. There, she meets and falls for a man (Ricardo Montalban) whom she thinks has no money, and becomes depressed when he seemingly becomes overjoyed to learn she has money. In fact, he's wealthy and suspects her of being a gold digger. Bondi plays Turner's therapist.
TCM Airings: 36

• Like 1

Louis Calhern

He got one Oscar nomination, curiously in a rare leading role for The Magnificent Yankee (which I'm not including, just to be contrarian), but I think he could have easily been nominated for any number of his supporting roles. He so effortlessly slipped into whatever part he needed to play, I think, he didn't call much attention to himself. Sometimes he was the buffoon or object of ridicule, but he could also be the weary cynic, the mentor or helpmate, or the smartest guy in the room.Here's an interesting factoid I learned: after he'd been brought in to replace Frank Morgan, who died of a heart attack, as Buffalo Bill early in the filming of Annie, Get Your Gun (supposedly you can see Morgan in one long-distance shot on horseback), Calhern himself died of a heart attack while playing Colonel Proudy in Teahouse of the August Moon. This was more than a month into filming, however, but the decision was made nevertheless to scrap all his footage and reshoot his scenes with another actor, Paul Ford. Looks like Calhern spent about the last half dozen years of his career working exclusively at MGM, so I imagine it would be no trouble at all for TCM to set up an SUTS day for him. I compiled a list that has only two films TCM has never shown, one from Paramount, one from Universal, both from the '30s. Personally, I've only seen three of these: 20,000 Years in Sing SingDuck Soup and Annie, Get Your Gun 

Note: Thus far, I've managed to avoid repeating any movies, other than the silent version of Ben-Hur, in which both Mary Pickford and Dorothy Gish were apparently among the extras. But the more of these spotlights I compile, the more I'm seeing some of the same movies pop up again, so I'm using The Last Days of Pompeii, which I also picked for my Ward Bond day, again.

Stolen Heaven (Paramount, 1931) - Engineering a $20,000 robbery, a young couple (Nancy Carroll and Phillips Holmes) engineer a pact to spend all the money foolishly and then commit suicide. Calhoun plays a wealthy womanizer with an interest in Carroll who transforms during the film from creep to sympathetic figure. 

20,000 Years in Sing Sing (Warner Bros., 1932) - A brash hoodlum (Spencer Tracy) enters Sing Sing, c o c k sure of himself and disrespectful toward authority, but a tough but compassionate warden (Arthur Byron) changes him. Spoiler Alert! Calhern plays the mobster Tracy's girlfriend (Bette Davis) shoots but Tracy takes the rap for.
TCM Airings: 33

Afraid to Talk (Universal, 1932) - Corrupt politicians resort to murder and blackmail when a young man (Eric Linden) accidentally witnesses them taking payoffs. Calhern plays the assistant district attorney.

Duck Soup (Paramount, 1933) - A man (Groucho Marx) is named president/dictator of bankrupt  Freedonia  and declares war on neighboring Sylvania over the love of a wealthy woman (Margaret Dumont). Calhern plays Sylvania's ambassador.
TCM Airings: 43

The Last Days of Pompeii (RKO, 1935) - In the doomed Roman city, a gentle blacksmith (Preston Foster) becomes a corrupt gladiator, while his son (played as a boy by David Holt and as an adult by John Wood) leans toward Christianity. Calhern plays a prefect.

Fifth Avenue Girl (RKO, 1939) - A wealthy industrialist (Walter Connolly), feeling unwanted by his wife (Verree Teasdale) and children (Tim Holt, Kathryn Adams), hires an unemployed young woman (Ginger Rogers) to pose as his mistress. I can't find any information about Calhern's character, other than he plays a doctor.
TCM Airings: 25

Up in Arms (RKO, 1944) - A hypochondriac (Danny Kaye) gets drafted into the Army and makes life miserable for his fellow GIs. He's also lovesick when it comes to a pretty young woman (Constance Dowling), unaware that she's in love with his best friend (Dana Andrews). Looks like Calhern plays the base colonel.
TCM Airings: 9

Annie, Get Your Gun (MGM, 1950) - The story of real-life sharpshooter Annie Oakley (Betty Hutton), who rose to fame while dealing with her lover and professional rival (Howard Keel). This film was unavailable in any form from 1973 to 2000 because of a protracted legal battle between Irving Berlin (and later his heirs) and MGM (and later Turner Entertainment and Warner Bros.). So, it may not have as many TCM airings as the other classic MGM musicals (but they've been making up for lost time). Calhern, as mentioned above, was brought in to replace Frank Morgan and plays the Wild West Show's proprietor, Buffalo Bill Cody.
TCM Airings: 40

The Man with a Cloak (MGM, 1951) - In New York City in 1848, a Frenchwoman (Barbara Stanwyck) visits an exiled former French marshal (Calhern) to ask for financial help on behalf of his French grandson, but the marshal's house staff is scheming to kill him and take his fortune.
TCM Airings: 43

Confidentially Connie (MGM, 1953) - A Texas cattleman (Calhern) comes to Maine to visit his son, a college professor (Van Johnson) and his wife (Janet Leigh), in hopes of persuading him to give up his teaching career and come back to Texas to take over the ranch. He finds out his daughter-in-law, who's expecting, can't have the steaks she longs for on a college professor's salary. Believing pregnant women should eat lots of meat, he arranges for the local butcher (Walter Slezak) to pretend to cut his prices in half, while he secretly makes up the difference.
TCM Airings: 15

Men of the Fighting Lady (MGM, 1954) - A famous writer (Calhern, playing the real-life writer James Michener) visits an aircraft carrier during the Korean War to learn more about the ship and the way it's run. He also gets to learn about the Navy and Marine aviators themselves, their internal and external conflicts and the dangers of their job. 
TCM Airings: 28

Forever, Darling (MGM, 1956) - A couple (Lucille Ball, Desi Arnez) are beginning to drift apart after more than five years of marriage. An angel only the wife can see (James Mason) comes into their lives and warns her there will be trouble ahead if they don't work out their problems. The husband is developing an insecticide which he plans to test on a camping trip with his wife, but the trip becomes an obstacle course for him. I can't find any info about the part Calhern plays, but my guess is he plays Desi's boss.
TCM Airings: 28 

• Like 4

Louis Calhern is a solid actor and very versatile.  While he was fantastic as a smarmy character (right up there with George Sanders),  he was also fine as a steady Eddie 'man on the right side' in films like Notorious,    the  1952 The Prisoner  of Zenda and others.

He could also be very charming; One of my favorite roles in this regard was as the grandfather in The Red Pony (1949) with Mitchum and Loy.

This guy was a stand-out in so many good films,  but I'll just name a few more:   Blonde Crazy with Cagney and Blondell,    Frisco Jenny with Ruth Chatterton,   and Annie Get Your Gun as Buffalo  Bill Cody.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Louis Calhern is a solid actor and very versatile.  While he was fantastic as a smarmy character (right up there with George Sanders),  he was also fine as a steady Eddie 'man on the right side' in films like Notorious,    the  1952 The Prisoner  of Zenda and others.

He could also be very charming; One of my favorite roles in this regard was as the grandfather in The Red Pony (1949) with Mitchum and Loy.

This guy was a stand-out in so many good films,  but I'll just name a few more:   Blonde Crazy with Cagney and Blondell,    Frisco Jenny with Ruth Chatterton,   and Annie Get Your Gun as Buffalo  Bill Cody.

Remember him as the straight man to THE MARX BROS.

9 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Love your mentioning THE RED PONY. Wish TCM would re-air it. Beautiful film, and yes, Calhern does a fine job with his role.

Edward Everett Horton

This was a difficult list to compile. I kept finding titles with interesting plot descriptions on imbd, only to scroll down and find that it was a lost film. So, there were a lot of scratch-outs on my paper. It was becoming hard to read. Anyway, I think these are all still-extant films, but I'll check about the older ones carefully as I type below and make substitutions if necessary. I don't know if the surviving films are all presentable, but let's pretend they are. It's my fantasy list, anyway. Looks like Horton was once a leading man in his silent film days. I've only ever seen him in supporting roles. He had a pretty good shtick, although I was a little tired of that triple take of his by the 15th movie I saw him use it! I stuck mostly to more obscure Horton titles. Trouble in Paradise, The Gay Divorcee and It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World are the only three films below I've actually seen.

The Man Who Fights Alone (Paramount, 1924) - A construction engineer (William Farnum) is stricken by paralysis and begins to imagine a growing love between his wife (Lois Wilson) and his best friend (Horton). He becomes bent on committing suicide, but the shock of seeing his wife and child in danger on a broken bridge shakes him into recovering from his illness and realizing his suspicions were imaginary.

The Business of Love (Astor, 1925) - There's no plot description, but Horton is top-billed. Zasu Pitts is also in it.

Reaching for the Moon (United Artists, 1930) - A Wall Street wizard (Douglas Fairbanks) decides to start paying attention to women and realizes he has no experience in the ways of love. So, he receives some coaching from his valet (Horton). He follows a beautiful woman (Bebe Daniels) onto an ocean liner, where cocktails laced with a love potion work their magic. He then loses his fortune in the market crash and fears he's also lost his girl.

Take the Heir (Big 4 Film, 1930) - A butler (Horton) impersonates his tippler boss (Frank Elliot) and falls for a beautiful young maid (Dorothy Devore). However, a notorious gold digger (Kay Deslis), believing him to be the millionaire he's impersonating, sets her sights on him.

Trouble in Paradise (Paramount, 1932) - A gentleman thief (Herbert Marshall) and a lady pickpocket (Miriam Hopkins) join forces to con the beautiful owner of a perfume company (Kay Francis), but romantic entanglements and jealousies confuse the scheme. Horton plays one of Francis' many suitors who was once a victim of Marshall's and who slowly begins to recognize him in his guise as Francis' secretary.

It's a Boy (Dist. in the US by Gaumont British Picture Corp. of America, 1933) - A man (Horton) is about to be married when he's confronted by a blackmailer (Albert Burdon) claiming to be his long-lost illegitimate son. The best man (Leslie Henson) sets out to prove the allegations are false. Horton traveled to England to make this film with producer Michael Balcon, who'd later be involved with those highly-touted Alec Guiness comedies in the '50s.

The Gay Divorcee (RKO, 1934) - An American woman (Ginger Rogers) travels to England to seek a divorce from her absentee husband (William Austin), where she meets - and falls for - a dashing performer (Fred Astaire). Horton plays Rogers' divorce lawyer.
TCM Airings: 51

Her Master's Voice (Paramount, 1936) - A man (Horton) is forced to pose as a handyman for his wife (Peggy Conklin) and his mother-in-law (Laura Hope Crewes).

The Perfect Specimen (Warner Bros., 1937) - A man (Errol Flynn) has been raised in seclusion to be the epitome of mental, physical and moral perfection, according to the wishes of his grandmother (May Robson), until a chance encounter with a woman (Joan Blondell) leads him to the outside world. Horton is described in an imdb review as playing a "pathetically subservient, nervy personal secretary", I assume to the Robson character.
TCM Airings: 0 (!) (That seems weird. Must be a rights issue)

Bachelor Daddy (Universal, 1941) - The lives of three bachelors (Horton, Donald Woods, Raymond Walburn) are disrupted when one of them is left a baby (Baby Sandy). I don't know if Three Men and a Baby is in any way an adaptation of this (I think it's a remake of a French film?), but the plots certainly sound similar.

San Diego, I Love You (Universal, 1944) - A  harried daughter (Louise Allbritton) tries to keep her wacky family together while trying to sell the latest invention of her eccentric father (Horton), a collapsible life raft.

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (United Artists, 1963) - A group of motorists (including Milton Berle, Sid Caesar, Buddy Hackett, Ethel Merman, Mickey Rooney, Jonathan Winters and Edie Adams) hear about the hidden stash of loot of a crook (Jimmy Durante) and race each other across the country to get to it. Horton is one of dozens of celebrity cameos, playing the owner of the hardware store.
TCM Airings: 46

53 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Edward Everett Horton

San Diego, I Love You (Universal, 1944) - A  harried daughter (Louise Allbritton) tries to keep her wacky family together while trying to sell the latest invention of her eccentric father (Horton), a collapsible life raft.

I love this film. It's very funny. The entire cast is having a field day. There's a good sequence with Buster Keaton driving a bus of sightseers.

• Thanks 1