Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

24 hours with Elvis - Sunday!

Viva%20Las%20Vegas.jpg

This Sunday, TCM will bring us 24 hours of Elvis movies. :D

*Viva Las Vegas* (1964) 6am ET

A race-car driver falls for a pretty swimming instructor who wants him to slow down his career.

Cast: Elvis Presley, Ann-Margret, Cesare Danova, William Demarest Dir: George Sidney C-85 mins, TV-14

*Spinout* (1966) 7:30am ET

A singing race-car driver has to choose among three amorous females.

Cast: Elvis Presley, Shelley Fabares, Diane McBain, Deborah Walley Dir: Norman Taurog C-93 mins, TV-PG

*Blue Hawaii* (1961) 9:15am ET

A Hawaiian playboy defies his possessive mother to take a job with a tourist agency.

Cast: Elvis Presley, Joan Blackman, Nancy Walters, Roland Winters Dir: Norman Taurog C-101 mins, TV-PG

*Girls! Girls! Girls!* (1962) 11am ET

A Hawaiian fisherman is torn between a sexy nightclub singer and a nice girl with a secret.

Cast: Elvis Presley, Stella Stevens, Laurel Goodwin, Jeremy Slate Dir: Norman Taurog C-99 mins, TV-PG

*Jailhouse Rock* (1957) 1pm ET

After learning to play the guitar in prison, a young man becomes a rock 'n roll sensation.

Cast: Elvis Presley, Judy Tyler, Mickey Shaughnessy, Vaugn Taylor Dir: Richard Thorpe BW-96 mins, TV-G

*Fun in Acapulco* (1963) 2:45pm ET

A trapeze artist tries to use love to conquer his fear of heights.

Cast: Elvis Presley, Ursula Andress, Elsa Cardenas, Paul Lukas Dir: Richard Thorpe C-97 mins, TV-PG

*Girl Happy* (1965) 4:30pm ET

A rock singer is hired to chaperone a gangster's daughter in Fort Lauderdale.

Cast: Elvis Presley, Shelley Fabares, Harold J. Stone, Gary Crosby Dir: Boris Sagal C-95 mins, TV-PG

*Clambake* (1967) 6:15pm ET

A playboy switches places with a water-skiing instructor to find a woman who isn't just after his money.

Cast: Elvis Presley, Shelley Fabares, Will Hutchins, Bill Bixby Dir: Arthur H. Nadel C-99 mins, TV-G

*It Happened At The World's Fair* (1963) 8pm ET

A pilot's efforts to help a lost girl at the Seattle World's Fair lead to love.

Cast: Elvis Presley, Joan O'Brien, Gary Lockwood, Vicky Tiu Dir: Norman Taurog C-105 mins, TV-G

*King Creole* (1958) 10pm ET

A singer with a criminal past gets drawn back into the mob.

Cast: Elvis Presley, Carolyn Jones, Walter Matthau, Dolores Hart Dir: Michael Curtiz BW-116 mins, TV-PG

*G.I. Blues* (1960) 12am ET

An American stationed in Germany bets that he can make an icy entertainer fall for him.

Cast: Elvis Presley, Juliet Prowse, Robert Ivers, James Douglas Dir: Norman Taurog C-104 mins, TV-G

*Roustabout* (1964) 2am ET

A female carnival owner hires a hot-blooded young singer to save her touring show.

Cast: Elvis Presley, Barbara Stanwyck, Joan Freeman, Leif Erickson Dir: John Rich C-101 mins, TV-PG

*The Trouble With Girls* (1969) 4am ET

A traveling show's star gets involved in a small-town murder case.

Cast: Elvis Presley, Marlyn Mason, Nicole Jaffe, Sheree North Dir: Peter Tewksbury C-99 mins, TV-PG

A great singer that never got a chance to play more serious movies. I think that if he had a chance to make more serious movies then he might have been more respected as an actor. I am looking forward to King Creole because I have never seen it. My favorite Elvis movie is probably Viva Las Vegas.

> {quote:title=JoeBond wrote:}{quote}

> A great singer that never got a chance to play more serious movies. I think that if he had a chance to make more serious movies then he might have been more respected as an actor.

I imagine him playing Stanley Kowalski in the original ?A Streetcar Named Desire?.

?Uhh.... uhh.... thank you very much, Blanche.

You?re a sexy old lady, Blanche.

STELLA!!! Uhh... uhh.... STELLA!?

Well for the film _A Star Is Born_ (1976) ..

Barbra Streisand insisted that she wanted Elvis Presley for the part of John Norman Howard. She even went to Las Vegas to see Elvis after one of his performances in 1975 and talked to him directly to convince him to play the part. Elvis wanted to do it but Colonel Tom Parker, his manager, was angry that Streisand did not come to him first. He told the producers that if they wanted Elvis, Elvis's name had to be at the top of the movie poster, above Streisand's name. Moreover, it was told that he asked them a very large sum of money while Elvis hadn't been in a movie since 1969 and nobody knew what he could do at the box-office. Because of all that, Elvis Presley didn't make the movie although he had been Streisand's first choice since the beginning of the project.

Thanks,

Moviedatabase

Every time there is an Elvis event on the channel, I explain it by telling myself that 'tcmprogrammr' must have lost a bet with that "other" TCM Programming VP.

http://www.ajc.com/wednesday/content/living/stories/2008/08/14/elvis_week.html?cxntlid=inform_artr

At least, I hope it is a losing bet and not blackmail.

Kyle (hoping to hang with Mr. Brown soon) In Hollywood

Wondering if watching "Lilo and Stitch" counts?

There is a store in my town that has one display window deck out "ALL Elvis". Has a 6 foot statue of him along with 45 records hanging from the ceiling, photos, memorabilia, etc. It's a safe bet the owners will be glued to the set all day long!

Here is a photo of the Elvis statue, it is about 6 feet tall.

ELVIS%20WITH%20GUITAR%20STANDING%206FT.%201131%20%C2%A3325.00001.jpg

I've never been a big fan of Elvis and can only think of one two films that I liked, but there's a lot of fans out there and I have no problem if TCM gives them a day of "the King". My stack of movies recorded from TCM, but not seen yet, keeps growing so here's a day to catch up a little. Go for it Elvis fans, have fun.

I was a freshman in college sitting in a coffee shop with friends, when someone put in a nickel and played Heartbreak Hotel. I was smitten with Elvis from than on. I never did care for his movies, I always had the feeling he was being "used", but did love his music. I have a number of his DVD's and other songs of his to listen to when I am walking. What a sad ending to such a gracious young man.

> {quote:title=hamradio wrote:}{quote}

> Wondering if watching "Lilo and Stitch" counts?

hamradio,

Glad you mention it. In many ways, it practically is an Elvis movie. But it's also nice that some of the Elvis songs are performed by other artists. I really liked Wynonna Judd's rendition of Burning Love, among others.

I was watching the TMC tribute to Elvis on Aug. 16, 2009. I was so sad to see at sometime the movies color had been touched up and Elvis ended up with brown eyes. I sure hope someone correct this. Miley in Blue Hawaii ended up with brown eyes too. Hers were crystal blue. Wish I knew who could fix this.