Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
yanceycravat

Could/Should TCM air the TCM Festival this year as planned??

Admittedly not the same as being there in person could/should TCM air the films as they were to be seen at the festival this year?

Beside possible rights issues and, perhaps, scheduling conflicts with the scheduled stars, TCM could have said stars co-host with Ben, Leonard Maltin, Alicia Malone etc.  before the film airs.

There's still plenty of time to make some of this happen.  Would be interesting.

Thoughts?

6 minutes ago, yanceycravat said:

Admittedly not the same as being there in person could/should TCM air the films as they were to be seen at the festival this year?

Beside possible rights issues and, perhaps, scheduling conflicts with the scheduled stars, TCM could have said stars co-host with Ben, Leonard Maltin, Alicia Malone etc.  before the film airs.

There's still plenty of time to make some of this happen.  Would be interesting.

Thoughts?

That would be the equivalent of televising pro sports events without people in the stands. I don't believe there would be a lot of enthusiasm for it.

I'm less of the idea that viewers would find it boring and more of the thought that TCM would just never do it.

It's a cool thought, but it would never happen, I don't think. TCM certainly has a recent history of showing films at the festival that never have and never will air on the network. Not sure  I'm not sure that necessarily applies this year, but I still don't foresee it happening.

1 hour ago, jakeem said:

That would be the equivalent of televising pro sports events without people in the stands. I don't believe there would be a lot of enthusiasm for it.

Now you have to realize I was not speaking of showing a movie in an empty theatre!  That would be pretty goofy!  I was speaking of airing the films on TCM and doing in studio guest interviews like they do every month!

Yancey, word is the actual reason they're cancelling this festival is that for those many out-of-towners who were considering attending it, every Hollywood hotel and motel within a twenty block area of the festival has...yep, you guessed it...run out of toilet paper.

(...and thus has had to close their doors too!)

;)

Not that familiar with the Film Festival, but do they air snippets of previous years of the fest on TCM after the fact as a matter of course? I know other events often do.

They air daily highlights while it is running, but that's maybe a 30 second or 1 minute promo.

There are other items that do pop up on the schedule (most recently, Michael Douglas's interview from a couple of years ago during the tribute to his father).  Items like these usually show up as filler rather than packaged as a TCM Film Festival item.

22 minutes ago, yanceycravat said:

Now you have to realize I was not speaking of showing a movie in an empty theatre!  That would be pretty goofy!  I was speaking of airing the films on TCM and doing in studio guest interviews like they do every month!

No, I knew what you meant. My thinking on this is that film festivals are also about the people who attend them. And many cineastes had been gearing up for a chance to spend a few days in Hollywood heaven. It just wouldn't be the same. I'm sure TCM will consider rescheduling many of the events for next year. 

See the source image

As others have said, there is certainly something to be said for the event itself.

Though I wouldn't mind them airing a block of movies that never managed to the make it away from the film festival circuit before.

• Like 1

For those who were not around during the early days of the TCM Film Festival, the channel would televise ‘Live Look-Ins’ in-between movies, where Robert and Ben would conduct brief live interviews with celebrities appearing at the festival.  For a few years they also had a website where you could see videos of some of the introductions done at the festival theaters prior to the start of the films.  Except for the ability to actually watch the films, this was something akin to a virtual film festival experience.

I really miss those days, as it was a great deal of fun to see the live interviews and the film introductions provided by different hosts, often with celebrities who are also big fans of classic films and want to share their knowledge and enthusiasm.

Of course, one of the main attractions of a classic film festival is to see the films projected on a big screen together with a like-minded audience.  I believe they also try to show films using original format prints, which provides a unique experience that can’t really be duplicated for at-home viewers or even in theaters using modern digital projectors.

I understand that providing these videos is costly and time consuming, so I can see why that time has passed, but it was a really nice sample for the rest of us who weren’t able to be there.

• Like 1

Posted By SueSueApplegate Wednesday at 09:18 AM

FYI: An earlier report on social media from the countessdelave indicates that TCM's Charles Tabesh has been working on special programming for TCM that will air during the regularly scheduled dates for the  #TCMFF 2020...

I hope all of our pass holders enjoy this treat on our favorite channel, as well as regular fans of TCM. During this difficult time in our nation's history, TCM remains a comfortable, virus-free place to gather with our friends. 

Thanks, Charlie!  Glad to know great minds think alike!  LOL!😊

• Thanks 1

So, when was the festival supposed to be? Is this the reason maybe the June schedule hasn't been posted yet?

28 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

So, when was the festival supposed to be? Is this the reason maybe the June schedule hasn't been posted yet?

April 16-19

• Thanks 1

It looks like the schedule for the special home version of the film festival has been released:

http://filmfestival.tcm.com/special-home-edition/

It's 4 days of presumably the films that were set to air during the festival.

EDIT: It's a feature of films that have aired at the festival in the past and ones that were slated to air during this year's festival.

• Like 2

This has the potential to be very exciting, especially if TCM shows supplementary videos from events during the film festivals.

(Edit: I just watched the posted video with Ben, and it sounds like they will be showing a bunch of extra material!)

One minor downside - all of the usual weekend programming (TCM Underground, serials, Noir Alley, Silent Sunday Nights, TCM Imports) is being preempted and will need to be rescheduled.  (Maybe that's why the June schedule hasn't been announced yet.)

• Thanks 1

What a wonderful line-up!  Thanks TCM!!!

All times EST

Thursday, April 16

8:00 PM A Star is Born (1954)
Opening Night Film at the inaugural 2010 TCM Classic Film Festival, presented by Robert Osborne and Alec Baldwin.
11:00 PM Metropolis (1927)
Closing Night Film at the 2010 TCM CFF, this was the North American premiere of a restored version of the film with footage found in 2008 in Argentina, with live score by the Alloy Orchestra.
1:45 AM Luise Rainer: Live from the TCM Classic Film Festival (2011)
Recorded at the 1st TCM CFF in 2010 when Ms. Rainer, the first back-to-back Oscar winner for Best Actress, was 100 years old.
2:30 AM The Good Earth (1937)
Presented at the 2010 TCMCFF with Luise Rainer in attendance.
5:00 AM Neptune’s Daughter (1949)
Presented at the 2010 TCM CFF at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel pool on Opening Night, with Esther Williams and Betty Garrett in attendance and featuring a performance by the Aqualilies.

Friday, April 17

6:45 AM The Seventh Seal (1957)
Shown as part of a tribute to Max Von Sydow at the 2013 TCM CFF, with the actor in attendance.
8:30 AM She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949)
Introduced by Keith Carradine, at the 2016 TCM CFF.
10:30 AM Sounder (1972)
Presented at the 2018 TCM CFF with Cicely Tyson in attendance, who was honored prior to the screening with a hand and footprint ceremony at the TCL Chinese Theatre IMAX.
12:30 PM A Hard Day’s Night (1964)
This world premiere restoration was introduced by Alec Baldwin and Don Was at the 2014 TCM CFF.
2:00 PM Eva Marie Saint:  Live from the TCM Classic Film Festival (2014)
Recorded in front of a live audience at the 2013 TCM CFF as part of a tribute to Eva Marie Saint.
3:15 PM North by Northwest (1959)
Presented at the 2010 TCM CFF with Eva Marie Saint and Martin Landau in attendance.
5:45 PM Some Like It Hot (1959)
Presented at the 2010 TCM CFF with Tony Curtis in attendance.
8:00 PM Harold and Lillian: A Hollywood Love Story (2015)
West Coast premiere at the 2016 TCM CFF, with Lillian Michelson and director Daniel Raim in attendance.
10:00 PM Deliverance (1972)
A cast reunion was presented at the 2013 TCM CFF, with Burt Reynolds, Ned Beatty, Jon Voight and director John Boorman in attendance.
12:00 AM The Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)
Presented in 3D at the 2018 TCM CFF, this was introduced by Dennis Miller.
1:30 AM Grey Gardens (1975)
Presented at 2014 TCM CFF as part of a tribute to Albert Maysles, who was in attendance.
3:15 AM Night Flight (1933)
Out of circulation for over 50 years, this was introduced by Drew Barrymore, granddaughter of the film’s star John Barrymore at the 2011 TCM CFF.
5:00 AM Kim Novak: Live from the TCM Classic Film Festival (2013)
Taped in front of a live audience at the 2012 TCM CFF, as part of a tribute to Kim Novak.

Saturday, April 18

6:00 AM The Man with the Golden Arm (1955)
Presented at the 2011 TCM CFF with Nancy and Tina Sinatra and Vicki Preminger in attendance.
8:00 AM Mad Love (1935)
Introduced at the 2019 TCM CFF by Bill Hader with actress Cora Sue Collins in attendance in the audience.
9:15 AM Double Harness (1933)
Introduced at the 2016 TCM CFF, by James Cromwell, the son of director John Cromwell.
10:30 AM Vitaphone Shorts:
Baby Rose Marie the Child Wonder (1929)
Don’t Get Nervous (1929)
Lambchops (1929)
Presented at the 2016 TCM CFF, as part of a program celebrating “90th Anniversary of Vitaphone,” by the founder of the Vitaphone Project, Ron Hutchinson.
11:00 AM Sergeant York (1941)
The first Festival program to screen at the newest venue of the TCM CFF, the Legion Theater at Post 43, this was introduced in 2019 by Andrew Jackson York, the son of Sergeant Alvin C. York and grandson, Gerald York.
1:30 PM Safety Last! (1923)
The first of four Harold Lloyd films presented at the TCM CFF, this was accompanied by live orchestra and music composed and conducted by Robert Israel, in 2010, and introduced by Suzanne Lloyd.
3:00 PM They Live by Night (1949)
Presented at the 2013 TCM CFF and introduced by Susan Ray, widow of director Nicholas Ray.
4:45 PM Faye Dunaway: Live from the TCM Classic Film Festival (2017)
Taped in front of a live audience at the 2016 TCM CFF, as part of a tribute to Faye Dunaway.
5:45 PM Network (1976)
Presented as part of a tribute to Faye Dunaway at the 2016 TCM CFF, with the actress in attendance.
8:00 PM Casablanca (1942)
A perennial favorite, this film has been presented three times at the TCM CFF, including a screening introduced by Peter Bogdanovich and Monika Henreid in 2010. Peter Bogdanovich will return to co-host this on-air screening.
10:00 PM The Magnificent Ambersons (1942)
Presented at the 2010 TCM CFF, it was introduced by Peter Bogdanovich and David Kamp. Peter Bogdanovich with co-host this on-air screening.
11:45 PM Night and the City (1950)
Presented at the 2012 TCM CFF by Eddie Muller.
1:30 AM Norman Lloyd: Live from the TCM Classic Film Festival (2016)
Recorded in front of a live audience as part of a tribute to Norman Lloyd, at the 2015 TCM CFF; Mr. Lloyd was 100 at the time of the taping.
2:30 AM The Lady Vanishes (1938)
Presented at the TCM CFF in 2013 with Norman Lloyd in attendance to talk about his friend, Alfred Hitchcock.
4:15 AM The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928)
The largest orchestral presentation to date at the TCM CFF was this 2016 screening, with live orchestra and the UC of Berkely Alumni Chorus (under the direction of Dr. Mark Sumner) performing an original score by Richard Einhorn.

Sunday, April 19

6:00 AM Jezebel (1938)
Presented at the 2017 TCM CFF by TCM Backlot winner Tiffany Vazquez.
7:45 AM The Set-Up (1949) )
Introduced at the 2018 TCM CFF introduced by Noir Alley host Eddie Muller and actor/filmmaker Malcom Mays, who did a live reading of the poem the film is based on.
9:00 AM Peter O’Toole, Live from the TCM Classic Film Festival (2012)
Recorded in front of a live audience, and part of a tribute to Peter O’Toole at the 2011 TCM CFF.
10:00 AM Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
Screened as part of a tribute to Anne V. Coates, ACE, at the 2015 TCM CFF, with the Oscar-winning editor in attendance.
2:00 PM Red-Headed Woman (1932)
Presented at the introduced by film historian and author Cari Beauchamp at the 2017 TCM CFF.
3:30 PM Auntie Mame (1958)
Presented at the 2012 TCM CFF, introduced by Todd Oldham.
6:00 PM Singin’ in the Rain (1952)
Presented three times to date at the TCM CFF, in 2010, 2012 and 2017 editions, with guests over the years including: Debbie Reynolds, Stanley Donen, and Todd Fisher and Ruta Lee.
8:00 PM Floyd Norman: An Animated Life (2016)
Floyd Norman was slated to be honored with a tribute at the 2020 TCM CFF.
9:45 PM The Hustler (1961)
The 2020 TCM CFF included a tribute to the actress Piper Laurie.
12:15 AM Baby Face (1933)
Longtime festival guest Bruce Goldstein intended to present a special presentation at the 2020 TCM CFF, about the censorship of the film and footage added back in decades later, to this popular pre-Code film.
1:45 AM Bardelys the Magnificent (1926)
Serge Bromberg was scheduled to present this recently restored silent with musical accompaniment at the 2020 TCM CFF.
3:30 AM Victor/Victoria (1982)
Julie Andrews was slated to attend the screening of this film, at the 2020 TCM CFF.
  • Thanks 1

Well, darn, I thought I saved a page with the old schedule, but I can't find it now. Anybody know movies got wiped out? One of the New York in the '70s nights, I think. This is a neat idea, but looks like the lineup is overloaded with movies TCM shows all the time.

It’d be neat if they showed the original introductions and/or footage from the festival... but not sure if that’s realistic. 

4 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Well, darn, I thought I saved a page with the old schedule, but I can't find it now. Anybody know movies got wiped out?

Never mind. I found it.

7 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

It’d be neat if they showed the original introductions and/or footage from the festival... but not sure if that’s realistic. 

All of the festival intros I've been to were recorded, but there may be clearance issues, as the guests might want to get paid more if it's broadcast.  All depends on what their contracts said, I guess.

7 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

If I read that article correctly it seems they may be doing that. I'm hoping anyway. 

They will be airing NIGHT FLIGHT. I attended that screening at the Festival. I remember how great the chemistry between Robert Osborne and Drew Barrymore was. I distinctly remember thinking at the time that they should get her to co-host THE ESSENTIALS with RO. And, son of a gun, if they didn't do it. I'd love to see their pre-screening conversation again.

19 hours ago, yanceycravat said:

What a wonderful line-up!  Thanks TCM!!!

All times EST

Thursday, April 16

11:00 PM Metropolis (1927)
Closing Night Film at the 2010 TCM CFF, this was the North American premiere of a restored version of the film with footage found in 2008 in Argentina, with live score by the Alloy Orchestra. This was stunning on the big screen. The score by the Alloy Orchestra is very busy and might be less effective on TV.

Friday, April 17

6:45 AM The Seventh Seal (1957)
Shown as part of a tribute to Max Von Sydow at the 2013 TCM CFF, with the actor in attendance. This is a great idea. Wonderful tribute to Max von Sydow. Wish they could make his interview available. Perhaps it is to Backlot members?

8:00 PM Harold and Lillian: A Hollywood Love Story (2015)
West Coast premiere at the 2016 TCM CFF, with Lillian Michelson and director Daniel Raim in attendance. Yancey, you can provide some additional information about this documentary.

5:00 AM Kim Novak: Live from the TCM Classic Film Festival (2013)
Taped in front of a live audience at the 2012 TCM CFF, as part of a tribute to Kim Novak. Excellent interview by Robert Osborne, which has been shown on TCM and is worth seeing again.

Saturday, April 18

9:15 AM Double Harness (1933)
Introduced at the 2016 TCM CFF, by James Cromwell, the son of director John Cromwell. James Cromwell brought along so many friends that passholders had few opportunities for seats in the small theater.
10:30 AM Vitaphone Shorts:
Baby Rose Marie the Child Wonder (1929)
Don’t Get Nervous (1929)
Lambchops (1929)
Presented at the 2016 TCM CFF, as part of a program celebrating “90th Anniversary of Vitaphone,” by the founder of the Vitaphone Project, Ron Hutchinson. This was fascinating. All the Vitaphone shorts they showed were worth seeing. "Lambchops" is George Burns & Gracie Allen, doing the same kind of routine they were doing on their show in the 1950s.

11:45 PM Night and the City (1950)
Presented at the 2012 TCM CFF by Eddie Muller. Good film noir set in London.

4:15 AM The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928)
The largest orchestral presentation to date at the TCM CFF was this 2016 screening, with live orchestra and the UC of Berkely Alumni Chorus (under the direction of Dr. Mark Sumner) performing an original score by Richard Einhorn. Too bad you can't see what happened at the Egyptian Theater, where this was shown. I was sitting with some friends in the row just behind the chorus. When the film was over, the chorus rose and turned around to receive a big round of applause from the audience. When the hefty tenor who was sitting right in front of me started to sit back down, his low-belted pants fell down and we got to see way too much bare posterior.

• Haha 1

What a beautiful way to end a viewing of Joan of Arc.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kingrat said:

Harold and Lillian: A Hollywood Love Story (2015)
West Coast premiere at the 2016 TCM CFF, with Lillian Michelson and director Daniel Raim in attendance. Yancey, you can provide some additional information about this documentary.    

This is a wonderful documentary.  I am most fortunate to know Lillian.  She is one of the sweetest people I have ever met.  This is well worth watching or recording for later viewing.

Movie fans know the work of Harold and Lillian Michelson, even if they don't recognize the names. Working largely uncredited in the Hollywood system, storyboard artist Harold and film researcher Lillian left an indelible mark on classics by Alfred Hitchcock, Steven Spielberg, Mel Brooks, Stanley Kubrick, Roman Polanski and many more. Through an engaging mix of love letters, film clips and candid conversations with Harold and Lillian, Danny DeVito, Mel Brooks, Francis Ford Coppola and others, this deeply engaging documentary from Daniel Raim offers both a moving portrait of a marriage and a celebration of the unknown talents that help shape the films we love.

• Like 2