Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why do some movies on TCM not air in Canada?

Hi folks,

99% of the time, TCM's schedule in the US and Canada are parallel to one another, but occasionally there are a handful of films that air in the US but do not get aired in Canada (they often swap it out for a similar/like-minded film).

For instance, on Friday the daytime schedule features a number of Lovers on the Run themed films that I look forward to taking in, one of them being "The Getaway." Sadly, I won't be able to see "The Getaway" (instead, they will air "Where Danger Lives").

Anyone know the reason for this? My educated guess is it's a licensing/distribution issue.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Lambear1982 said:

Hi folks,

99% of the time, TCM's schedule in the US and Canada are parallel to one another, but occasionally there are a handful of films that air in the US but do not get aired in Canada (they often swap it out for a similar/like-minded film).

For instance, on Friday the daytime schedule features a number of Lovers on the Run themed films that I look forward to taking in, one of them being "The Getaway." Sadly, I won't be able to see "The Getaway" (instead, they will air "Where Danger Lives").

Anyone know the reason for this? My educated guess is it's a licensing/distribution issue.

Welcome to the Message Boards. Your guess is correct.

Your fellow Canadian posters would know more than I do (since I live in the southwestern U.S.) 

But I do know they have told us that the Hal Roach films are not licensed to air in Canada. 

Typically, TCM tries to find similarly themed films to show in those time slots when substitutions are required.

13 hours ago, Lambear1982 said:

Hi folks,

I hear you, Lambear.  I've been lamenting about this for years.  It's SO frustrating to see some film you've always wanted to see coming up on TCM, only to discover that it's airing is limited to the U.S., and it's being blocked in Canada, and replaced with something you're not nearly so interested in viewing.  

I know it has something to do with "rights issues", but that whole thing seems to be such a tangled, gnarled, complicated web that I don't know if it will ever get resolved. It's actually a lot worse now than before the internet took over just about everything.  I can remember seeing movies back in the ,90s that would you'd never get to see now.