Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

There are only so many hours in a day, and only so many Irish eyes that can be squeezed innem.  TCM has played many of the movies you listed, and not only on St. Paddie's day.

3 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Parnell is a "great Irish move"? 

No.

LOL

Yep, and from what I understand, Gable got the reviews to prove it wasn't!

• Haha 1

Btw, while TCM may not be showing the specific films the OP mentioned here, they sure as the Blarney Stone is sittin' on that Emerald Isle ARE showin' a batch of Irish themed flicks today, anyway!

(...in fact, they're showin' The Quiet Man right NOW!)

26 minutes ago, Dargo said:

LOL

Yep, and from what I understand, Gable got the reviews to prove it wasn't!

Lombard was always teasing him about Parnell,telling their friends to just say the word to see Gable's reaction.

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Btw, while TCM may not be showing the specific films the OP mentioned here, they sure as the Blarney Stone is sittin' on that Emerald Isle ARE showin' a batch of Irish themed flicks today, anyway!

Aye, and save when that O'Hara lass be shinin' on screen and sometimes that Wayne boyo, 'tis a hard film to stomach, I do be thinkin'.

• Haha 2

I had a co-worker who was a big fan of The Quiet Man, and when we both were travelling to Galway on business, he wanted to go see all the filming locations there.  I was driving, and off we went.  I've never cared much for the movie (haven't been able to get all the way through it), so it was pretty much lost on me.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, kingrat said:

Aye, and save when that O'Hara lass be shinin' on screen and sometimes that Wayne boyo, 'tis a hard film to stomach, I do be thinkin'.

LOL

Pretty good Irish accent here KR, but if I'm not mistaken, it's the Scottish who call a young lady a "lass", but the Irish refer to them as a "cailin" or anglicized as "colleen".

But what do I know. My lineage is English/Welsh and Italian)

(…and regarding the movie itself...after having watched it a few times in the past and just now only watching the last 15 minute of it tonight, besides the idea of the beautiful Maureen pretty much capitulating to the idea of becoming the traditional subservient female after being manhandled by Big Duke, I was once again also reminded of how those two big lugs Wayne and McLuglen can beat each other senseless for 15 minutes with many an overhand rights finding their mark right on the ol' kisser, BUT with NEITHER of 'em ending up with nary a drop of blood or bruising on their big ugly mugs, afterward)

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

Tough guys, marshmallow hands.

Yep, I suppose that could explain it.

(...and so kind'a like big Mike Lane who was channeling Primo Carnera in Bogie's last flick, eh?!) ;) 

Y'know....

After the big  RIVERDANCE invasion of the '90's I got real tired of both Irish music, accents and what I took to calling "Redundance" !   Plus...

Not being either Irish OR catholic, ST. Patrick's Day was never a big deal to me.  And all those non-Irish twits stinkin' up the air cooking all that corned beef and cabbage surely have to be greatly contributing to all this greenhouse gas/global warming issue.  It's like all the "whettoes" celebrating CINCO de MAYO.  When ordinarily they usually get no closer to Mexico or being Mexican than an occasional stop at TACO BELL.    But....

If there is a feeling that St. Patrick's Day is a time for happiness, then do have a "happy" St. "Paddie's" day.  :rolleyes:

Sepi o'tone  ;) 

15 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

I had a co-worker who was a big fan of The Quiet Man, and when we both were travelling to Galway on business, he wanted to go see all the filming locations there.  I was driving, and off we went.  I've never cared much for the movie (haven't been able to get all the way through it), so it was pretty much lost on me.

Ok,  but...Ireland is a beautiful fascinating place.  Galway and its environs is fantastic;   incredible lovely scenery,  many historic monuments,  so much to see, so many delightful interesting places to walk.  Never mind whether you 're a fan of "The Quiet Man" or not,  I cannot imagine the filming locations around Galway would have been fun and rewarding to explore in their own right.    *

If you got to be in Ireland, even if it were for business reasons, and didn't appreciate the beauty and history and magic and conviviality all around you,  all I can say is, what a waste. 

edit:  I meant:   "  I cannot imagine the filming locations around Galway would   wouldn't have been fun and rewarding to explore in their own right.    * 

3 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Ok,  but...Ireland is a beautiful fascinating place.  Galway and its environs is fantastic;   incredible lovely scenery,  many historic monuments,  so much to see, so many delightful interesting places to walk.  Never mind whether you 're a fan of "The Quiet Man" or not,  I cannot imagine the filming locations around Galway would have been fun and rewarding to explore in their own right.    

If you got to be in Ireland, even if it were for business reasons, and didn't appreciate the beauty and history and magic and conviviality all around you,  all I can say is, what a waste. 

No argument from me - I enjoyed the trip very much.   We finished our business early and had 2 days to explore.  My only point was the significance of the various sites as far as the film was concerned were lost on me as I didn't recognize them and had no connection to the film, as he did.  That's all.

4 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

No argument from me - I enjoyed the trip very much.   We finished our business early and had 2 days to explore.  My only point was the significance of the various sites as far as the film was concerned were lost on me as I didn't recognize them and had no connection to the film, as he did.  That's all.

Oh, ok,  I get that.  Anyway, glad you had a good trip in Ireland. I was there a few years ago and couldn't get over how  beautiful, fascinating, historic, and fun(all the words I already used above, I know)  it all was.  I hope to go again ---although for obvious reasons, not any time soon.

17 hours ago, Dargo said:

And Elliott is acting strangely at school.

Meanwhile, I looked over on Disney+'s Twitter account, and they were so busy plugging their original tween series/movies, think I actually was the only poster there to mention Darby O'Gill & the Little People.

I'm part Irish.  Apparently when certain among my kinfolk emigrated from Ireland to the U.S. they changed their last name from O'GORMAN to just plain GORMAN.  

Had that change not been made I'd be known on-site as 'Mr. O'Gorman'.  Can ya beat that?

Anyway, last names aside perhaps TCM could air the 2003 movie "The Boys and Girl from County Clare".  It takes place in the late 1960s and is about an Irish music festival, more or less, and the various goings-on among brothers who are also competitors with their own bands.  And a nice young lady played by Andrea Corr who's also a skilled musician.  I rather enjoyed the movie.   

• Like 1