Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sheri Carol

Does anyone remember this old Western movie

Posted (edited)

There is a memory that eludes me and I was hoping someone may be able to help end my decades-long frustration 🐵 There was a Western movie in which the main character (cannot remember who the star was) was traveling and over the course of his journey, encountered sight-references to the multitude of TV westerns that were being aired at the time. The one I remember the most involved a small outhouse-sized building next to the path he was walking through a valley in the middle of nowhere. The door had bars on the window. When he looked through the bars, all he saw was a cobweb-covered gun in a holster hanging on the wall. This was a sight-reference to the  TV western, Colt 45. If one was not familiar with the show, this would not have meant anything in particular. Another example was a cane leaning against a wall in a hotel lobby with a bowler hat hung on it, a reference to the show, Bat Masterson. There were a bunch of other TV shows represented throughout the movie, such as Sugarfoot, Laramie, Cheyenne, Bronco, and many others that I cannot remember off-hand.

It has driven me crazy that I cannot remember the name of that movie, or the star that played the main character (could it have been Ty Hardin?). The exact year is also a missing memory, but given the dates of the TV shows, I am guessing it was a made-for-TV movie, but I could be wrong. My impression is that I saw it sometime between 1959 and 1962.

Edited by Sheri Carol
To clarify some of my info

Could it be Alias Jesse James (1959) starring Bob Hope? Several people who were Western stars at the time were in a big shootout scene at the end.

HelenBaby,  that was the first movie that I thought of as well.  But all of those western stars appeared in a shoot-out in the town, and no travelling was involved.