Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mr6666

COVID-19 quarantine reactions/ coping......

5 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

you should still read the Masterton novel.

he's much better than Stephen King.

Don't worry about reading Camus, they've translated into English.

La peste par Camus

Nippy and anyone else who might be interested--

Albert Camus novel "The Plague" is discussed in the New York Times op-ed section today with an opinion piece by Alain de Botton.

He discusses how the plague that Camus was describing in an Algerian city started with animals and then went to people. He also emphasizes Camus belief on the randomness of suffering and death among humans.

For those who don't want to read the whole book this might be interesting, also it might Intrigue others to read the whole book.

I once saw a one-man  play presentation of this novel in Paris by the famous French actor Francis Huester.

He's mainly known by American audiences for his performance in "Le Diner de  Cons". He wrote this one man play for himself.

What I noticed the most, was how amusing the novel was despite the lugubre subject with his presentation.

And I've already written a post above giving some information about Camus and his work.

I read that in school, but I don't recall much from it now. I wasn't in the mood for it at the time.

There was a lackluster film adaptation released in 1992 with William Hurt, Robert Duvall and Raul Julia, as well as French film stars Sandrine Bonnaire and Jean-Marc Barr.

Plague-1992-poster-3.jpg

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I read that in school, but I don't recall much from it now. I wasn't in the mood for it at the time.

There was a lackluster film adaptation released in 1992 with William Hurt, Robert Duvall and Raul Julia, as well as French film stars Sandrine Bonnaire and Jean-Marc Barr.

Plague-1992-poster-3.jpg

Camus work, particularly his plays, can be very depressing. Believe it or not his most popular play was "Caligula" . LOL

• Like 1

I was going to say that The Plague is a short read, but it's actually longer than I thought, much

longer than The Stranger or The Fall. I should go back and reread it again one of these days.

3 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

La peste par Camus

I had a post-graduate theology course at my Jesuit University. The course was "Theological Problems in Modern Drama." I was assigned to do my term paper on "Implicit (aka Anonymous) Christianity in The Plague." It was a fascinating subject to work on. I was directed by the teacher, Professor Robert W. Gleason, S.J., to base my research and findings on the teachings of Karl Rahner and Jacques Maritain. It was such a long time ago -- I wish I still had a copy of the paper.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Swithin said:

I had a post-graduate theology course at my Jesuit University. The course was "Theological Problems in Modern Drama." I was assigned to do my term paper on "Implicit (aka Anonymous) Christianity in The Plague." It was a fascinating subject to work on. I was directed by the teacher, Professor Robert W. Gleason, S.J., to base my research and findings on the teachings of Karl Rahner and Jacques Maritain. It was such a long time ago -- I wish I still had a copy of the paper.

Camus was a famous atheist of the post-war literary French community.

He often would pejoratively satirize Christian priests and ministers in his work, and that's true of "La peste".

Swith, by the way, how did you do on the paper?

Graham Masterton's Plague is about the best novel of this nature you could read.

he gets right to the meat of his story without dragging it on too long with the long windedness of a Stephen king.

5 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

Graham Masterton's Plague is about the best novel of this nature you could read.

he gets right to the meat of his story without dragging it on too long with the long windedness of a Stephen king.

I had to check, but I have not read Masterton's Plague. However, I have read these other books by him:

• The Manitou
  • Charnel House
  • Night Warriors
  • Death Dream
  • Tengu
  • The Djinn
  • The Pariah
  • Night Plague
  • The Wells of Hell
  • Walkers
  • Revenge of the Manitou
  • Burial
  • Feast
  • Picture of Evil
  • Master of Lies
  • Death Trance

I know he's got several more, including a few early spy thriller type books as well as historical fiction, and he's been busy writing straight-up mystery series stuff for awhile, but I haven't read any fiction in over ten years now.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Camus was a famous atheist of the post-war literary French community.

He often would pejoratively satirize Christian priests and ministers in his work, and that's true of "La peste".

Swith, by the way, how did you do on the paper?

I don't remember how I did on the paper! I must have passed, though. Btw, Camus' atheism was probably why I was assigned the topic, since Rahner and Maritain, two important Catholic theologians, didn't seem to think it mattered whether you call yourself an atheist. Camus' characters (e.g. Dr. Rieux) act in a certain way that endowed them with what the theologians -- and later Vatican II, to some extent -- would call implicit, or anonymous, Christianity. 

I do remember one experience related to that class quite vividly. The class was held in Freeman Hall, one of the older buildings on campus. It wasn't used much in my day, apart from the occasional seminar. There was one office of some sort in the building. I was usually early for the class, because my previous class was in a building nearby. One day it was raining so heavily, it was hard to hear anyone coming or going. I entered the building to find the secretary from the office and the building manager in a very passionate embrace. When they saw me, they were mortified! They didn't hear me coming because of the rain. 

Here's a photo of the building in question: Freeman Hall. It used to be the Physics building, but by my day, the sciences had relocated to more modern buildings.

default.jpg?highlightTerms=

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I had to check, but I have not read Masterton's Plague. However, I have read these other books by him:

The Manitou

• Charnel House
  • Night Warriors
  • Death Dream
  • Tengu
  • The Djinn
  • The Pariah
  • Night Plague
  • The Wells of Hell
  • Walkers
  • Revenge of the Manitou
  • Burial
  • Feast
  • Picture of Evil
  • Master of Lies
  • Death Trance

I know he's got several more, including a few early spy thriller type books as well as historical fiction, and he's been busy writing straight-up mystery series stuff for awhile, but I haven't read any fiction in over ten years now.

you've read more Masterton than me.

these are the ones I've read.

• The Manitou
  • Charnel House
  • The Pariah
  • The Wells of Hell
  • Revenge of the Manitou
  • Burial
  • Devils of D-Day
  • Plague
  • Like 1

'Stay strong': People worldwide adjust to new life amid COVID-19

“Having parents that fall in the high-risk category and being a health provider yourself isn’t easy at all, and my wife feels the same way and exposing her parents,” Dr. Jalal Baig said.

people are sharing their stories of fear, resiliency and recovery.

NBC News interviewed people from the United States to the West Bank on how their lives have been disrupted. In firsthand video accounts, they pointed to a new way of living and thinking in the age of a pandemic...........

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/stay-strong-people-worldwide-adjust-new-life-amid-covid-19-n1164396

What You Can and Cannot Do During a Stay-at-Home or Shelter-in-Place Order

Yes, you can leave your home, but only for certain reasons

"..........

What’s open?

In California and Illinois, for example, essential services remain open such as:

• Banks
  • Gas stations
  • Grocery stores
  • Hardware stores
  • Medical offices
  • Pharmacies
  • Public parks and open recreation areas (Parks may be closed at the discretion of each jurisdiction)
  • Restaurants (For delivery or takeout only)

Essential state and local government functions also remain open, including law enforcement and offices that provide government programs and services.

What’s closed?

• Dine-in restaurants
  • Bars and nightclubs
  • Entertainment venues
  • Gyms and fitness studios
  • Public events and gatherings
  • Convention Centers

The order also closes licensed child care centers and all childcare homes serving more than six children. 

What can you do?

In Illinois, residents are still allowed to leave their homes for essential needs like:

• For health and safety: seeking emergency services, obtaining medical supplies or medication or visiting a health care professional
  • For necessary supplies and services: obtaining groceries and food, household consumer products, supplies they need to work from home, and products necessary to maintain the safety, sanitation and essential operation of residences
  • For outdoor activity: walking, hiking, running or biking – including going to public parks and open outdoor recreation areas, except for playgrounds
  • For certain types of work: Providing essential products and services at Essential Businesses or Operations or otherwise carrying out activities specifically permitted in the order, including Minimum Basic Operations
  • To take care of others: Caring for or transporting a family member, friend or pet in another household

see all: https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/what-you-can-and-cannot-do-during-a-stay-at-home-or-shelter-in-place-order/2241024/?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_CHBrand&_osource=SocialFlowFB_CHBrand&_osource=SocialFlowFB_CHBrand

Four senators sold stocks before coronavirus threat crashed market

......According to financial disclosure forms, Sens. Kelly Loeffler (R-Ga.), James Inhofe (R-Okla.), Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) and Richard Burr (R-N.C.) each sold hundreds of thousands of dollars in stocks within days of the Senate holding a classified briefing on Jan. 24 with Trump administration officials on the threat of the coronavirus outbreak. ......

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/488593-four-senators-sold-stocks-before-coronavirus-threat-crashed-market?fbclid=IwAR1EZYKzj7Dbyz5_4Y_caehfAk_8odw6pjWDtWRdFx7MZPSo8_weWq96SKk

-_-

1 hour ago, mr6666 said:

What You Can and Cannot Do During a Stay-at-Home or Shelter-in-Place Order

Yes, you can leave your home, but only for certain reasons

"..........

What’s open?

In California and Illinois, for example, essential services remain open such as:

• Banks
  • Gas stations
  • Grocery stores
  • Hardware stores
  • Medical offices
  • Pharmacies
  • Public parks and open recreation areas (Parks may be closed at the discretion of each jurisdiction)
  • Restaurants (For delivery or takeout only)

Essential state and local government functions also remain open, including law enforcement and offices that provide government programs and services.

What’s closed?

• Dine-in restaurants
  • Bars and nightclubs
  • Entertainment venues
  • Gyms and fitness studios
  • Public events and gatherings
  • Convention Centers

The order also closes licensed child care centers and all childcare homes serving more than six children. 

What can you do?

In Illinois, residents are still allowed to leave their homes for essential needs like:

• For health and safety: seeking emergency services, obtaining medical supplies or medication or visiting a health care professional
  • For necessary supplies and services: obtaining groceries and food, household consumer products, supplies they need to work from home, and products necessary to maintain the safety, sanitation and essential operation of residences
  • For outdoor activity: walking, hiking, running or biking – including going to public parks and open outdoor recreation areas, except for playgrounds
  • For certain types of work: Providing essential products and services at Essential Businesses or Operations or otherwise carrying out activities specifically permitted in the order, including Minimum Basic Operations
  • To take care of others: Caring for or transporting a family member, friend or pet in another household

see all: https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/what-you-can-and-cannot-do-during-a-stay-at-home-or-shelter-in-place-order/2241024/?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_CHBrand&_osource=SocialFlowFB_CHBrand&_osource=SocialFlowFB_CHBrand

Feel sorry for the parents with hyperactive kids.  Will their sanity survive Corona.? :o

tired-mother-father-sitting-on-260nw-160

GettyImages-114339361-56a7bf7a5f9b58b7d0

My husband is now playing Rock Paper Scissors with our grown kids
to decide whether we have red or white wine for dinner.

I’m worried about how a couple weeks of quarantine are going to play out here.

:)

18 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

My husband is now playing Rock Paper Scissors with our grown kids
to decide whether we have red or white wine for dinner.

I’m worried about how a couple weeks of quarantine are going to play out here.

:)

Have both! Problem solved. 

Or Rose, it’s kind of in the middle. 

• Like 1

Some more movie suggestions.

Thebat_2poster.jpg

Bats5.jpg

220px-NightwingPoster.jpg

For the kids "The Great Mouse Detective" features Fidget the Bat.

latest?cb=20160709093754

c30319878d3dcdc9373f26d8f8422fd6.jpg