Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

COVID-19 quarantine reactions/ coping......

Over 30 percent of Americans have witnessed COVID-19 bias against Asians, poll says

The surge in anti-Asian bias may reflect a growing tendency to blame certain groups for the pandemic, the polling organization says.

"........The surge in anti-Asian bias may reflect a growing tendency to blame certain groups for the pandemic, according to Chris Jackson, the head of public polling at Ipsos,...............

While a narrow majority of poll respondents described the virus primarily as a natural disaster, 44 percent said specific people or organizations were responsible. Of those respondents, nearly two-thirds mentioned China or Chinese people.

"The majority of people — a bare majority, but a majority — are still viewing the pandemic as a natural disaster," Jackson said. "We've not asked this particular question before, but we've asked similar questions, and that number is coming down. Earlier on, there was a much larger number of people who viewed it as a natural disaster."

The poll found a partisan divide. Sixty percent of Republicans said the virus was caused by specific people or groups, almost double the share of Democrats who said that...........

<_<

Fox-Loving Parents Are Driving Coronavirus-Paranoid Kids Insane-

"..........“If we can’t even agree that COVID is a public-health crisis, not even that basic fact, then there is literally nowhere for the discussion to go,” Van Marter told The Daily Beast. “So basically I waste my energy talking about all the things that won’t persuade them, become demoralized, promise myself I won’t engage in this nonsense anymore, and think about how we will handle/help them when/if one of them gets sick.” 

The spread of coronavirus is pitting family members against each other over the severity of the pandemic and the steps needed to combat it. The fault lines are generational and geographic. But mainly they appear determined by news appetites. ........

Her mom “loves” right-wing activist Candace Owens and The Five. When Van Marter points her parents toward other outlets, they invariably describe them as “fake news.”

“They still prefer the messages telling them it’s no big deal and it’s being exaggerated,” she said. “Until someone they know is sick or dead, I don’t think their perspective will change.”

In interviews with other COVID-divided families, a similar dynamic becomes apparent. Younger offspring expressed concern than their parents are stubbornly set in their ways. Family members based in urban areas experienced panic that their relatives in the ex-urbs don’t share. And those who don’t watch Fox News felt it impossible to relate to their family members who do. ........

“My parents are in the suburbs of Pennsylvania signing petitions to re-open Pennsylvania and any time they hear about a death they ask how old the person is, to confirm their bias that it’s all old people.

Meanwhile, I live in Brooklyn and am dreading taking the subway ever again,” ...........

https://www.thedailybeast.com/fox-loving-parents-are-driving-coronavirus-paranoid-kids-insane?ref=home

:(

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Fox-Loving Parents Are Driving Coronavirus-Paranoid Kids Insane-

"..........“If we can’t even agree that COVID is a public-health crisis, not even that basic fact, then there is literally nowhere for the discussion to go,” Van Marter told The Daily Beast. “So basically I waste my energy talking about all the things that won’t persuade them, become demoralized, promise myself I won’t engage in this nonsense anymore, and think about how we will handle/help them when/if one of them gets sick.” 

The spread of coronavirus is pitting family members against each other over the severity of the pandemic and the steps needed to combat it. The fault lines are generational and geographic. But mainly they appear determined by news appetites. ........

Her mom “loves” right-wing activist Candace Owens and The Five. When Van Marter points her parents toward other outlets, they invariably describe them as “fake news.”

“They still prefer the messages telling them it’s no big deal and it’s being exaggerated,” she said. “Until someone they know is sick or dead, I don’t think their perspective will change.”

In interviews with other COVID-divided families, a similar dynamic becomes apparent. Younger offspring expressed concern than their parents are stubbornly set in their ways. Family members based in urban areas experienced panic that their relatives in the ex-urbs don’t share. And those who don’t watch Fox News felt it impossible to relate to their family members who do. ........

“My parents are in the suburbs of Pennsylvania signing petitions to re-open Pennsylvania and any time they hear about a death they ask how old the person is, to confirm their bias that it’s all old people.

Meanwhile, I live in Brooklyn and am dreading taking the subway ever again,” ...........

https://www.thedailybeast.com/fox-loving-parents-are-driving-coronavirus-paranoid-kids-insane?ref=home

:(

You have to wonder if it is not time for the old people to leave things to a much smarter,  younger generation.

Here is quite a lovely and remarkable performance of "We'll Meet Again" featuring Dame Vera Lynn (103 years old) and many British theatrical artists. 

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

You have to wonder if it is not time for the old people to leave things to a much smarter,  younger generation.

Not all old people are ignorant and stupid.

My guess is these Fox senior citizen bigots, discussed in the article above, have been ignorant bigots all their lives, even before they got old.

In America, people are free to be as stupid as they like.

I saw a young guy on the news last night who said it was his constitutional right to go out in public and frequent retail establishments in the middle of a pandemic.

Americans know their rights, and they're free to be stupid, if they want to be.

• Thanks 1

"Americans know their rights, and they're free to be stupid, if they want to be. "

- as long as they don't pose a threat to the welfare/health of the general public 

:unsure:

• Thanks 1

Florida is now blocking medical examiners from releasing COVID-19 death totals

"........For the past nine days, no reports from the medical examiners have been made available to the public, and there’s no indication of when they will be released in the future.

Dr. Stephen Nelson, the chairman of the state Medical Examiners Commission, tells the Tampa Bay Times that state officials have told him

they’re planning to remove probable causes of death from the examiners’ report, which would make it impossible to tell how many people the examiners believe have died from coronavirus.

“This is no different than any other public record we deal with,” Nelson said. “It’s paid for by taxpayer dollars and the taxpayers have a right to know.”.............

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/04/florida-is-now-blocking-medical-examiners-from-releasing-covid-19-death-totals/#.Xqm936SG_CW.twitter

:huh:

• Sad 2

Trump has ordered meat processing plants back open irregardless of virus spread.  His government is also making it impossible for workers to force the companies to adhere to safety guidelines.  In Iowa the governor has said that any worker refusing to return to work will be deemed to have quit and will not be eligible for unemployment.   A higher percentage of Hispanics are getting sick from the virus as these plants use a lot of immigrants, some undocumented.

This is how Trump and the Republican party protects workers.

ON THE OTHER HAND ...

Most of the people who work on the line in these plants are brown.  In other words, not necessarily Trump voters and therefor expendable.

Edited by Bogie56
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, mr6666 said:

"Americans know their rights, and they're free to be stupid, if they want to be. "

- as long as they don't pose a threat to the welfare/health of the general public 

It may well already be too late for that because we've already seen how a  minority of them have exercised their right to be stupid  by voting for trump--

The only group of Americans who were more stupid were those who supported Bernie Sanders and either didn't vote for Hillary Clinton or voted for trump, as a protest vote, I guess. LMREO

Yes, indeed Americans have the constitutional right to be stupid.

Pam Kling Jones

@Realmommabear

My kid just got the call, has to return to work tomorrow

or considered as resigned with no eligibility for UE.

In a department store. They'll provide masks.

She's currently sitting in a chair sobbing.............

===================================

Retail clothing department store chain Belk, owned by hedge fund Sycamore Partners

, is forcing workers back to work during the pandemic

Compared With China, U.S. Stay-At-Home Has Been 'Giant Garden Party,'

"...........New York Times science and health reporter Donald G. McNeil Jr. warns that the push to reopen is premature. "We're nowhere near getting on top of this virus," he says........

"I hear anecdotally that people [in the U.S.] are holding ... barbecues and people are still going out on Internet dates and having play dates with kids," he says. "Unfortunately, that's the reason that we have about 30,000 new infections a day in this country. ... China didn't reopen until they had zero new infections a day."

McNeil says even a fairly strict stay-at-home policy is "just the first step" in the battle against the pandemic:

"There's a Harvard study that came out recently that said we should have 5 million to 10 million tests per day across [the U.S.] in order to have a clearer idea of where the virus is, where cases are going up. And cumulatively, all the tests we've done now has been 5 million."

McNeil points to China as a model of how to stop a fast-moving pandemic in its tracks, using widespread testing and a strict quarantine...............

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/04/29/847755751/compared-to-china-u-s-stay-at-home-has-been-a-giant-garden-party-journalist-says?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews

:huh:

• Thanks 1

Gov. Pritzker Breaks Down Changes Coming to Illinois’ Stay-at-Home Order

Illinois' new stay-at-home order lifts some restrictions, but heightens others beginning May 1

............"Starting tomorrow, retail stores can reopen by taking orders online
and over the phone and offering pick-up and delivery. Greenhouses
and garden centers will be opening with specified social distancing
measures in place.

Many of our state parks will be open, and many
golf courses will open with strict social distancing measures in place.
And elective surgeries that had been put off due to the crisis can now
be scheduled in surgicenters and hospitals, in compliance with IDPH
guidance.

"As we open things up and make progress, tomorrow will be the first
day where adults and any children over the age of two and everyone
medically able to tolerate a face-covering will be required to wear one
in any public place where they can’t maintain a six-foot social
distance," Pritzker said.

The changes comes as Pritzker faces challenges to the stay-at-home order extension, moves which he called "irresponsible" as he said Illinois is nearing a peak.

"All these changes represent a shift in our approach to COVID-19 – a
shift made possible by the millions of Illinoisans who have stepped up
by staying home and keeping each other safe," he said. .................

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/coronavirus/pritzker-breaks-down-changes-coming-to-illinois-stay-at-home-order/2264577/?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_CHBrand

Well,, after 6 weeks, I finally ventured out to the grocery today🤪 I went very early, they weren't too busy when I got there and everyone was wearing a mask (by the time I left, it was busier, I'd say about 3/4 wearing masks...seemed all middle age/older shoppers were, and a few younger people weren't)  Although the shelves were a little fuller than before , I wanted some chicken and maybe salmon...none.  The meat/chicken area was virtually empty (I don't know if this is because there really is a shortage or people were panic buying it before...) but I can't remember a time when there no chicken...even those overpriced single serve packaged chicken breasts...nothing.  Of course, there was no tp, towels, wipes, cleaners, bottled water, etc...but I really didn't expect them., and although there was a lot of pasta, there was practically no pasta sauces Good:  produce was well stocked and there were eggs and cheese (none before).  The workers seemed careful to back away from shoppers, and honestly people seemed to be 'keeping their distance'..all good.  It was exhausting...after I got home and put away froz/refrig stuff, and washed my hands six times, I ate a cookie and slept for 3 hours...and I'm still tired...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, shutoo said:

Well,, after 6 weeks, I finally ventured out to the grocery today🤪 I went very early, they weren't too busy when I got there and everyone was wearing a mask (by the time I left, it was busier, I'd say about 3/4 wearing masks...seemed all middle age/older shoppers were, and a few younger people weren't)  Although the shelves were a little fuller than before , I wanted some chicken and maybe salmon...none.  The meat/chicken area was virtually empty (I don't know if this is because there really is a shortage or people were panic buying it before...) but I can't remember a time when there no chicken...even those overpriced single serve packaged chicken breasts...nothing.  Of course, there was no tp, towels, wipes, cleaners, bottled water, etc...but I really didn't expect them., and although there was a lot of pasta, there was practically no pasta sauces Good:  produce was well stocked and there were eggs and cheese (none before).  The workers seemed careful to back away from shoppers, and honestly people seemed to be 'keeping their distance'..all good.  It was exhausting...after I got home and put away froz/refrig stuff, and washed my hands six times, I ate a cookie and slept for 3 hours...and I'm still tired...

I, too, ventured out to my grocery store today (Publix). I wore my mask, but unlike the last couple of times I've gone, about a third of the customers were not wearing masks (nearly all were the last time I went). Even a couple of the employees were maskless. It was very busy (it has been every time I've gone since this all started), but the store was reasonably well stocked. There was still no toilet paper or cleaning supplies, but I needed neither one, so that was fine. The store now has professionally-done markings on the floors to mark which direction to go down the aisles. Maybe 50% of the customers followed them. 

Shortly after an intercom message from the store manager asking people to practice safe distancing and to follow the single-direction markings down each aisle, I witnessed a middle-aged woman coming down my aisle in the wrong direction. An employee that had been stocking the shelves mentioned this to her, and she started shouting that "No one's gonna tell me what to do! You all are stupid for believing this nonsense! WAKE UP!!!" She was hysterical, veins popping out on her forehead, skin turning beet red. She charged angrily down the aisle and around the corner. And naturally she was wearing a MAGA baseball cap.:rolleyes:

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Dr. Fauci said states should follow federal guidelines and ONLY begin to reopen

if they have a 2-week decline in the number of new COVID-19 cases.

"You can't just leap over things and get into a situation where you're really tempting a rebound," he said. "That's the thing I get concerned about. I hope they don't do that."

Fauci said states should follow federal guidelines and only begin to reopen if they have a two-week decline in the number of new COVID-19 cases.

He cautioned that states must have the capability of identifying, isolating and contact tracing people who test positive because "there will be blips — there’s no doubt."..........

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/fauci-warns-reopening-states-you-can-t-just-leap-over-n1196306?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma