Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

COVID-19 quarantine reactions/ coping......

33 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

How to Talk to People Who Aren’t Social Distancing — and Get Them to Listen

Shaming won't work. Experts say there's a right way to talk to the reluctant social distancer in your life

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/coronavirus/how-to-talk-to-people-who-arent-social-distancing-and-get-them-to-listen/2263900/?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_CHBrand

<_<

You talk to them with bullets, don't tread near me.

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

She was hysterical, veins popping out on her forehead, skin turning beet red

wow, I've never seen anyone go ballistic in a grocery (maybe a 3 year old crying for candy..) ..guess I live in a dull neighborhood (thank goodness...)

1 minute ago, shutoo said:

wow, I've never seen anyone go ballistic in a grocery (maybe a 3 year old crying for candy..) ..guess I live in a dull neighborhood (thank goodness...)

Well, I am in Florida, so...it's not surprising. I'm only lucky she wasn't carrying an assault rifle, too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, shutoo said:

Well,, after 6 weeks, I finally ventured out to the grocery today🤪 I went very early, they weren't too busy when I got there and everyone was wearing a mask (by the time I left, it was busier, I'd say about 3/4 wearing masks...seemed all middle age/older shoppers were, and a few younger people weren't)  Although the shelves were a little fuller than before , I wanted some chicken and maybe salmon...none.  The meat/chicken area was virtually empty (I don't know if this is because there really is a shortage or people were panic buying it before...) but I can't remember a time when there no chicken...even those overpriced single serve packaged chicken breasts...nothing.  Of course, there was no tp, towels, wipes, cleaners, bottled water, etc...but I really didn't expect them., and although there was a lot of pasta, there was practically no pasta sauces Good:  produce was well stocked and there were eggs and cheese (none before).  The workers seemed careful to back away from shoppers, and honestly people seemed to be 'keeping their distance'..all good.  It was exhausting...after I got home and put away froz/refrig stuff, and washed my hands six times, I ate a cookie and slept for 3 hours...and I'm still tired...

I fill the sink with hot dish water and wash just about everything as I unpack it: tins, bottles, fruit.  I throw away any packaging and put the meat or vegetables in bowls and then into the fridge or freezer.

Then I wash thoroughly before even thinking about touching anything else.

Mask? I ain't wearing no stinkin' mask :).  The toilet paper aisle is looking fuller. Last few weeks they've

only had the smaller packs, now they've also got the bigger 8 or 12 packs for those who like to take lots 

of *****. I  don't buy meat, but the meat section looks pretty full when I go past it. 

A unrelated grocery story. I was in the grocery store years ago and they had a display of bottles of wine

stacked in a high pyramid. Some old lady in one of those motorized carts didn't turn sharply enough

and crash, many of the bottles fell to the floor. Look out.

On 4/29/2020 at 7:01 AM, Bogie56 said:

You have to wonder if it is not time for the old people to leave things to a much smarter,  younger generation.

Not all old people are dumb. I don't watch Fox News.........

• Like 1
On 4/29/2020 at 2:33 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Not all old people are ignorant and stupid.

My guess is these Fox senior citizen bigots, discussed in the article above, have been ignorant bigots all their lives, even before they got old.

In America, people are free to be as stupid as they like.

I saw a young guy on the news last night who said it was his constitutional right to go out in public and frequent retail establishments in the middle of a pandemic.

Americans know their rights, and they're free to be stupid, if they want to be.

Sadly, YES.

• Sad 1

Wouldnt hurt DUMP to eat a few meatless meals. He could afford to lose a HUNDRED pounds! I don't have a lot of sympathy for meat eaters (except for those forced to work in these plants). I haven't eaten meat in 40 YEARS. I've survived.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I, too, ventured out to my grocery store today (Publix). I wore my mask, but unlike the last couple of times I've gone, about a third of the customers were not wearing masks (nearly all were the last time I went). Even a couple of the employees were maskless. It was very busy (it has been every time I've gone since this all started), but the store was reasonably well stocked. There was still no toilet paper or cleaning supplies, but I needed neither one, so that was fine. The store now has professionally-done markings on the floors to mark which direction to go down the aisles. Maybe 50% of the customers followed them. 

Shortly after an intercom message from the store manager asking people to practice safe distancing and to follow the single-direction markings down each aisle, I witnessed a middle-aged woman coming down my aisle in the wrong direction. An employee that had been stocking the shelves mentioned this to her, and she started shouting that "No one's gonna tell me what to do! You all are stupid for believing this nonsense! WAKE UP!!!" She was hysterical, veins popping out on her forehead, skin turning beet red. She charged angrily down the aisle and around the corner. And naturally she was wearing a MAGA baseball cap.:rolleyes:

LMREO!!! I go to the grocery stores once a week. About the only place I go, aside for Target or CVS sometimes. Since gardening season is starting I'm stopping at the nursery. Most people wear masks. Up till a few days ago, I didn't as I had none. I had a blood draw a few days ago and they gave me one, so I wear it when I go anywhere now, It's going to be very hot to wear those things in the summertime. What's the deal with lack of flour? Is everyone on a baking kick???

Documents: FEMA orders more than 100,000 body bags,
bids contract for 200 cold trailers;

-task force warns that reopening could be stalled by
fear of “catastrophic resurgence,”
lack of available tests & treatment,
“lack of trust in government messaging.”

9:14 PM · Apr 30, 2020

Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer has signed new state of emergency extension  (thru 5-15)
after the Republican-led Legislature refused to extend her declaration.

"Republican lawmakers are ... putting more lives and livelihoods at risk. I’m not going to let that happen."

==========================================

In blow to protesters demanding reopening,
Michigan court rules state's stay-at-home order does NOT violate constitutional rights
-----------------------------------

........."Although the Court is painfully aware of the difficulties of living under the restrictions of these executive orders, those difficulties are temporary, while to those who contract the virus and cannot recover (and to their family members and friends), it is all too permanent," Court of Claims Judge Christopher M. Murray wrote..........

In his ruling, Murray noted that the interests of "liberty" that the plaintiffs spoke of are "and always have been, subject to society’s interests."

"They — our fellow residents — have an interest to remain unharmed by a highly communicable and deadly virus, and since the state entered the Union in 1837, it has had the broad power to act for the public health of the entire state when faced with a public crisis," he wrote.........

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

LMREO!!! I go to the grocery stores once a week. About the only place I go, aside for Target or CVS sometimes. Since gardening season is starting I'm stopping at the nursery. Most people wear masks. Up till a few days ago, I didn't as I had none. I had a blood draw a few days ago and they gave me one, so I wear it when I go anywhere now, It's going to be very hot to wear those things in the summertime. What's the deal with lack of flour? Is everyone on a baking kick???

Hibi--

I use organic Bisquick-type products or rice flour Bisquick (gluten free). You might try one of those kind of products.

8 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Hibi--

I use organic Bisquick-type products or rice flour Bisquick (gluten free). You might try one of those kind of products.

thanks. I did find some flour (not the kind I wanted) on a rare day they had some in, but the shelves are usually bare.

12 hours ago, Hibi said:

What's the deal with lack of flour? Is everyone on a baking kick???

The issue for us is not lack of flour but lack of yeast. The flour is not well-stocked but nearly every type is available. No store had any yeast in any form for nearly three weeks. One store now has a small quantity in both foil and jar.

3 hours ago, SansFin said:

The issue for us is not lack of flour but lack of yeast. The flour is not well-stocked but nearly every type is available. No store had any yeast in any form for nearly three weeks. One store now has a small quantity in bo th foil and jar.

I bought a jar of yeast back in Feb, so wasn't aware of the yeast problem until my mother complained she couldnt find any. And sure enough the shelf was bare when I checked today. As was flour. They get a little flour in here once in awhile, but it sells out quickly.

I have not been able to find bread flour (for bread machines) for months.

• Like 1
·
8h

BREAKING: Trump is encouraging more protests this morning.

Calling the armed protesters in Michigan “good people.”
Says the Governor should make a deal with them. It’s not happening.

These Trump protests have accomplished nothing, except helped potentially spread the virus more.

:(
23 hours ago, Hibi said:

I bought a jar of yeast back in Feb, so wasn't aware of the yeast problem until my mother complained she couldnt find any. And sure enough the shelf was bare when I checked today. As was flour. They get a little flour in here once in awhile, but it sells out quickly.

I hadn't thought about yeast shortages. I've never baked bread. I've only used yeast to make a Savarin, and that I do rarely. I keep flour well stocked, since I like to bake cakes and make pastry crusts.

23 hours ago, Hibi said:

A few months back I heard of a salmonella problem with some name brand flour products.

I wonder if that could be causing the shortage?

8 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

A few months back I heard of a salmonella problem with some name brand flour products.

I wonder if that could be causing the shortage?

CNN has an article on this today.    The main reason for the flour shortage is a massive increase in demand.    This should only be temporacy since there is tons of wheat in storage and mills are increasing production.   (well unless these mills have to shut down because they don't protect their workers like those asinine meat processing plants and their management). 

• Thanks 2