Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

COVID-19 quarantine reactions/ coping......

4 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Well said.   One should feel sorry for these guys since most are very lonely and angry.     My brother was like this;  he had a 50s type of marriage and while it 'worked' for over 30 years,  after he lost his job and was unemployed for a few years,  his wife left him.    He didn't understand why.   I had to tell him that he was no longer doing-his-50s husband 'duties' and thus of course his wife left him for a man that could provide for her (and I just found out from his sons that the new-guy is very similar to my brother;   dominating,  man runs the family,  I could send-you-to-the-moon,,, etc....,).     Since the divorce my brother just went downhill.     He got a job here in CA,  and the vast majority of CA women didn't want to be around him.   He ended up ending his life only 9 months ago,  because there wasn't much hope,  since he didn't wish to change. 

I am so sorry to hear that JJ.  This kind of tragedy leaves a hole that can never be filled.

7 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

I am so sorry to hear that JJ.  This kind of tragedy leaves a hole that can never be filled.

Yea,  what makes it worst is that he was planning on moving in with my wife and I and it looked like he was turning the corner;   I.e. starting to see that his macho view of the world (and yes,  he also like Trump,  and Trump's election set him back since it gave him some degree of "validation"),  was just not going to cut it here in CA,  in the 21st century, and with more enlightened people.   Thanks for your sympathies.     

'Quarantined' New York tourist is arrested in Hawaii after posting beach pictures on Instagram

after he posted beach pictures on Instagram when he was supposed to be in quarantine.

The 23-year-old man was arrested for violating Hawaii's mandatory 14-day quarantine rule and for "unsworn falsification to authority," the Hawaii governor's office said in a statement.....

"Authorities became aware of his social media posts from citizens who saw posts of him -- on the beach with a surfboard, sunbathing, and walking around Waikiki at nigh," the statement said..............

Many visitors, including a newlywed couple on their honeymoon, have been arrested for ignoring the state's quarantine orders.
"We, like most of the United States, are still dealing with the challenges of this pandemic," Honolulu Mayor Kirk Caldwell told CNN. "But right now, we see traveling as bringing the virus, and we would prefer people not come until it's safe to travel again."

:(

Two Coasts. One Virus. How New York Suffered Nearly 10 Times the Number of Deaths as California.

California’s governor and San Francisco’s mayor worked together to act early in confronting the COVID threat.

For Andrew Cuomo and Bill de Blasio, it was a different story, and 27,000 New Yorkers have died so far.

"......As of May 15, there were nearly 350,000 COVID-19 cases in New York and more than 27,500 deaths, nearly a third of the nation’s total. The corresponding numbers in California: just under 75,000 cases and slightly more than 3,000 deaths. In New York City, the country’s most populous and densest, there had been just under 20,000 deaths; in San Francisco, the country’s second densest and 13th most populous, there had been 35............

In recent days, Cuomo has said he wished he had been quicker to see the threat, “blow the bugle” and take action, only to all but instantly shift tone and cast blame everywhere: at international and U.S. health agencies; at the federal government; at news organizations.

“Governors don’t do global pandemics,” Cuomo said............

No later than Feb. 28, federal officials warned the country that a deadly pandemic was inevitable. It is from that point forward, they say, that any individual state’s actions should be judged.

Of the models showing how earlier action might have spared lives, the Cuomo administration official insisted that the governor’s decisions had been guided by the data...........

https://www.propublica.org/article/two-coasts-one-virus-how-new-york-suffered-nearly-10-times-the-number-of-deaths-as-california

:unsure:

FDA halts Bill Gates coronavirus testing program

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) halted a coronavirus testing program promoted by billionaire Bill Gates and Seattle health officials pending reviews.

The program sought to send test kits to the homes of people both healthy and sick to try to bring the country to the level of testing officials say is necessary before states can begin safely reopening. The program, which had already gone through thousands of tests, found dozens of cases that had been previously undiagnosed.

The Seattle Coronavirus Assessment Network (SCAN) said on its website that the FDA had asked it to pause testing while it receives additional authorizations but maintained its procedures are safe.........

The pause is emblematic of the fractured national response to the coronavirus, with federal officials proposing guidelines but leaving much of the implementation and administration of tests to states and localities...............

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/498104-fda-halts-bill-gates-coronavirus-testing-program

<_<

The premise of "The Box" is that if you press the button, you'll get $1 million
but someone you don't know will die.
The characters agonize over the decision.

Right now Americans are slamming that button

but instead of a cool mil it's the ability to eat at a **** TGI Friday's

:rolleyes:   :(
7 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Well said.   One should feel sorry for these guys since most are very lonely and angry.     My brother was like this;  he had a 50s type of marriage and while it 'worked' for over 30 years,  after he lost his job and was unemployed for a few years,  his wife left him.    He didn't understand why.   I had to tell him that he was no longer doing-his-50s husband 'duties' and thus of course his wife left him for a man that could provide for her (and I just found out from his sons that the new-guy is very similar to my brother;   dominating,  man runs the family,  I could send-you-to-the-moon,,, etc....,).     Since the divorce my brother just went downhill.     He got a job here in CA,  and the vast majority of CA women didn't want to be around him.   He ended up ending his life only 9 months ago,  because there wasn't much hope,  since he didn't wish to change. 

I'm truly sorry to hear about your brother.

It's amazing how siblings are so different.

My late older brother had a difficult  life too. He was tied to the dominating, belief system of my parents from the 1950s and couldn't chart a path for himself as an individual looking towards the future.

@AP

Judge rejects "Pharma Bro" Martin Shkreli's request to be let out of prison to research a coronavirus treatment

after probation officials called the offer "delusional."

Shkreli was convicted in 2017 of lying to and defrauding investors.
------------------------------------------

( Shkeli) wrote that his background “as a successful two-time biopharma entrepreneur, having purchased multiple companies, invented multiple new drug candidates” would make him a valuable asset.

Matsumoto rejected that, relaying concerns of probation officials that Shkreli’s claim

that he could develop a cure for coronavirus that “so far eluded the best medical and scientific minds in the world working around the clock” is “delusional self-aggrandizing behavior.”......

https://apnews.com/af8459fd4e1d7a36e985b3933827ff54?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_medium=AP&utm_source=Twitter

:rolleyes:

What We Know About Your Chances of Catching the Virus Outdoors

A stir-crazy nation wonders: Is it safe to stroll on the beach in a deadly pandemic? How about a picnic in the park? Or coffee with a friend at an outdoor table?

The risk is in the details.

................The good news: Interviews show a growing consensus among experts that, if Americans are going to leave their homes, it’s safer to be outside than in the office or the mall. With fresh air and more space between people, the risk goes down........

Experts have a simple answer: Practice social distancing and wear a mask when that is not possible.

Ideally, people should socialize only with people who live in their homes, they say. If you decide to meet friends, you’re increasing your risk, but you can take precautions. It’s important to keep gatherings small. Don’t share food, utensils or beverages; keep your hands clean; and keep at least six feet from people who don’t live in your home.........

“The risk is lower outdoors, but it’s not zero,” said Shan Soe-Lin, a lecturer at the Yale Jackson Institute for Global Affairs. “And I think the risk is higher if you have two people who are stationary next to each other for a long time, like on a beach blanket, rather than people who are walking and passing each other.”........

......Try to avoid a confrontation. That only increases your risk of exposure. Such conflicts could spike as more people head outside.

“If someone is too close to you and not wearing a mask and you don’t feel safe, instead of yelling at them, just say, ‘I need some space, please,’”............

Even outside, there is a risk of contracting the virus by touching a contaminated surface — a restaurant menu, park bench or lawn chair — and then touching your face.

Studies have shown the virus can last three days on hard surfaces like steel and plastic and about 24 hours on cardboard ..........

.....Because it can take two weeks for symptoms to appear after a person is infected, there is no way to know if you’re going to the beach or the park in the midst of an invisible local outbreak, experts said. It’s yet another reason to take precautions.

“If we now go back to the old normal and don’t follow the social distancing strategy anymore, it’s like a ticking time bomb,”........

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/15/us/coronavirus-what-to-do-outside.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

“Immune to Evidence”: How Dangerous Coronavirus Conspiracies Spread

Conspiratorial videos and websites about COVID-19 are going viral. Here’s how one of the authors of “The Conspiracy Theory Handbook” says you can fight back.

One big takeaway: Focus your efforts on people who can hear evidence and think rationally.

https://www.propublica.org/article/immune-to-evidence-how-dangerous-coronavirus-conspiracies-spread?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social#955155

Ford Reopens With 'Rechoreographed' Factories-

........How do you separate people and still have room for all of your necessary employees? What are some specifics that you're doing?

We spent a lot of time putting together an extensive manual. The normal things that you would expect, for people to wash their hands, to wear a mask, there's thermal imaging. There will actually be rapid testing that can be done.

And the social distancing that you're talking about, we actually took into consideration as we thought through the way a vehicle is built..........

You plan to test workers who exhibit symptoms of COVID-19. I do wonder why not offer tests to everyone, given that we know many people who get this virus don't have symptoms but they can spread it?

It's just, it's not practical here at the beginning, particularly with us — we will be over 200,000 people. There will be a day, Noel, that your question can be answered that way. It's not too far off, and it revolves around a daily quick test.

Now here's the news, though. If you have symptoms, we can test right away. And so we've built that fail-safe. So if you're asymptomatic and you don't have a fever and we haven't tested you, then we would contact trace if anyone around you got sick...."

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/05/18/857972441/ford-reopens-with-rechoreographed-factories?utm_campaign=npr&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_term=nprnews

He thought the coronavirus was 'a fake crisis.' Then he contracted it and changed his mind.

Brian Hitchens said he thought that the coronavirus "is a fake crisis" that was "blown out of proportion" and "wasn't that serious."

.........Hitchens said he never experienced terrible aches and pains but felt weak and exhausted. He said he felt better on May 12, at which point he had been in the hospital for three weeks, and that he still had COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus. He also said he had pneumonia in his lungs..........

"As of today my wife is still sedated and on the ventilator with no signs of improving," Hitchens wrote. "There were a couple times were they tried to start weaning her off the ventilator but as soon as they've done that her oxygen level dropped and they had to put her back on the ventilator full time."..........

"This thing is nothing to be messed with please listen to the authorities and heed the advice of the experts," he wrote. "We don't have to fear this and by heeding the advice doesn't mean that you fear it that means you're showing wisdom during this epidemic time."

The May 12 post, in which he implored people to "use wisdom," has been shared more than 500 times.

"Looking back I should have wore a mask in the beginning but I didn't and perhaps I'm paying the price for it now," he wrote. If he passed the virus on to his wife, he said, he knows that she and God forgive him........

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/he-thought-coronavirus-was-fake-crisis-then-he-contracted-it-n1209246?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

<_<

Substitute Pharmacists Warn Their Co-Workers: We’ll Probably Bring the Virus to You

With regular employees out sick, CVS and Walgreens rely on traveling workers to fill in at short notice. But when these floaters show up at a store, they often aren’t told if anyone there has tested positive.

"It’s absolutely a concern to move people around where there’s active transmission, some of whom might be susceptible," said Denis Nash, a professor of epidemiology at CUNY School of Public Health. "It puts the floater pharmacist at risk, and it potentially seeds transmission where it might not otherwise happen."

At pharmacies, some floaters are full-time employees. Others, including the Dallas floater, work part time for a specific chain; they don’t qualify for general sick leave, although they do get two weeks’ paid leave if they contract the coronavirus.......

A floater in Ohio, who works at about a dozen Walgreens a month, said he warns his colleagues that he may endanger them. "I always tell people, ‘Definitely stay away from me, don’t get close to me, because as the floater, I’ll probably be the one who is going to bring the virus to you,’" he said.

The use of floaters "is just going to turn pharmacies into hot spots,"............

https://www.propublica.org/article/substitute-pharmacists-warn-their-co-workers-well-probably-bring-the-virus-to-you?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

<_<

On 5/16/2020 at 11:35 PM, hamradio said:

Beaches packed despite virus regulations as Israel swelters under heatwave

https://www.timesofisrael.com/beaches-packed-despite-virus-regulations-as-israel-swelters-under-heatwave/

Social distancing, what's that? :blink:

F200516MA09-640x400.jpg

With that angle and a zoom lens they could actually be far enough apart, but the  visual you get is what you  can manipulate it to be,

Sort of like when Jerry Seinfeld was scathing the side of his nose from one angle but from the opposite angle it looks like hes piking his nose get it.

We thought you thought you were smarter than that .

• Like 1

The group also challenged "immunity passport" proposals that could create "a new health surveillance infrastructure that endangers #privacy rights."