Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

COVID-19 quarantine reactions/ coping......

Florida man at Fort Myers Costco in "Running the World Since 1776" shirt flips out on elderly woman who asked him to wear a mask and man who defended her #BecauseFlorida (via @profjaffar)

this guy lost his job at an insurance agency...guess people didn't think they were in 'good hands' with him

• Haha 2
On 7/8/2020 at 7:17 PM, LsDoorMat said:

In Germany, Denmark, Norway, Sweden and many other countries, their leaders did not totally screw up getting a handle on the pandemic, lie about what was going on, and then just get bored and abdicate the responsibility to the states.  That's why they won't let Americans in the EU. We're disease ridden. Mexico is hardening their border with the US because they are afraid of us, the walking dead. It looks like Mexico might pay for the wall after all. 

Sweden should not have been included in that (erroneous) quote of Trump's.  They chose not to follow the stringent lock down rules that the rest of Europe employed and hence they saw a higher case count and a higher death rate than did their neighbours.  And to top that off their economy did no better by staying open.

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Sweden should not have been included in that (erroneous) quote of Trump's.  They chose not to follow the stringent lock down rules that the rest of Europe employed and hence they saw a higher case count and a higher death rate than did their neighbours.  And to top that off their economy did no better by staying open.

Thanks for the info. Last I knew they were going for herd immunity, but then I had read that their culture has a lot of social distancing built into it too.  That doesn't change the fact that we Americans couldn't have screwed up the Covid response worse if we tried. 

48 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

Thanks for the info. Last I knew they were going for herd immunity, but then I had read that their culture has a lot of social distancing built into it too.  That doesn't change the fact that we Americans couldn't have screwed up the Covid response worse if we tried. 

Let's take the United States.   They say it would take 5 years to achieve herd immunity at a cost of between 3 and 5 million dead.  As the rest of the world is not on this same page no one would want anything to do with America for the foreseeable future.

The U.S. is adding a Wuhan each and every day now.

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Bogie56 said:

Let's take the United States.   They say it would take 5 years to achieve herd immunity at a cost of between 3 and 5 million dead.  As the rest of the world is not on this same page no one would want anything to do with America for the foreseeable future.

The U.S. is adding a Wuhan each and every day now.

Actually, I don't believe the Chinese government's numbers, but I do get your point. 

25 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

Actually, I don't believe the Chinese government's numbers, but I do get your point. 

They did get it under control.

31 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

They did get it under control.

Things democracies can do but the US couldn't seem to do:  Massive testing, uniform federal distancing and masking laws, contact tracing

Things democracies can't do but China does (and did): Put the health professionals who spread an early alarm into concentration camps, try to cover their ***es until Covid just gets away from them, weld people into buildings if needed. 

I think you get my point.  The US screwed up. China screwed up. Xi and Trump are paddling down the same river in opposite ends of the same boat. I hope you don't think the CCP is your friend, because it has no friends. Only customers and the people it enslaves. 

1 hour ago, LsDoorMat said:

Things democracies can do but the US couldn't seem to do:  Massive testing, uniform federal distancing and masking laws, contact tracing

Things democracies can't do but China does (and did): Put the health professionals who spread an early alarm into concentration camps, try to cover their ***es until Covid just gets away from them, weld people into buildings if needed. 

I think you get my point.  The US screwed up. China screwed up. Xi and Trump are paddling down the same river in opposite ends of the same boat. I hope you don't think the CCP is your friend, because it has no friends. Only customers and the people it enslaves. 

The Virus doesn't care about politics.  There have been some very good articles written lately on how some of the totalitarian states and how some of the democratic states have done well during the pandemic.  Viet Nam, Taiwan, New Zealand, Germany, South Korea.  China seems serious about it now even though as you say have screwed up royally on many counts in the past.

And some have pointed out that countries who have women as their leaders have done very well too.  I doubt very much that the U.S. would be in this pickle if Hillary Clinton had been President. Sadly we will never know but my guess is that tens of thousands of people who have died unnecessarily because of Donald Trump's ego would be alive today if Clinton had been President.

Pediatricians split with Trump on school reopening threats

"If Disney World can be open, so can our schools," an administration spokesperson said.

The American Academy of Pediatrics is joining teachers unions and school superintendents in blasting Trump administration threats to withhold federal funds from schools that do not fully reopen,

splitting with the president even as he tweeted again on Friday that schools "must be open in the Fall."

The alignment of the children's doctors with unions and superintendents is significant, following a week in which the Trump administration widely touted an earlier report from pediatricians that "strongly advocates that all policy considerations for the coming school year should start with a goal of having students physically present in school."...........

Schools in areas with high levels of Covid-19 community spread, for example, “should not be compelled to reopen” against local experts’ judgment.

“Public health agencies must make recommendations based on evidence, not politics,” they said.

“We should leave it to health experts to tell us when the time is best to open up school buildings, and listen to educators and administrators to shape how we do it.”..........

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/10/pediatricians-trump-school-reopening-coronavirus-356229?nname=playbook-pm&nid=0000015a-dd3e-d536-a37b-dd7fd8af0000&nrid=0000014e-f0fe-dd93-ad7f-f8ff7e290000&nlid=964328

• Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

The Virus doesn't care about politics.  There have been some very good articles written lately on how some of the totalitarian states and how some of the democratic states have done well during the pandemic.  Viet Nam, Taiwan, New Zealand, Germany, South Korea.  China seems serious about it now even though as you say have screwed up royally on many counts in the past.

And some have pointed out that countries who have women as their leaders have done very well too.  I doubt very much that the U.S. would be in this pickle if Hillary Clinton had been President. Sadly we will never know but my guess is that tens of thousands of people who have died unnecessarily because of Donald Trump's ego would be alive today if Clinton had been President.

I doubt that we'd be in this pickle if Hillary was president either. Nobody could have kept it from getting here, and there would have been deaths. But there would have been an organized and competent response to the whole thing. But I think that is less about Hillary being a woman than it is about her having a good head on her shoulders and knowing what it is that she does not know and who to listen to when she does not know it. These are the basic skills of a good leader.  Trump's problem is that he is a sociopath, and thinks that if he is bored with the virus, somehow it will just get bored too. 

• Like 1

‘You get made fun of’: Trump campaign office shuns masks, social distancing

Despite his own administration's recommendations, president's Arlington, Va., headquarters still lacks key protections.

".........The decision to conduct the cleaning came after two months of flouting the Trump administration’s own public health guidance: There are no face coverings or temporary barriers between desks at headquarters, and leaders have limited efforts to implement social distancing.

The campaign’s lack of safety protections were visible during Vice President Mike Pence’s visit to the office last month, during which he posed for a photo with more than 70 campaign staff, closely packed together and without wearing face coverings — an image that infuriated local officials..........

.........staff have been told to wear masks outside the office, in case they’re spotted by reporters, but they’ve been instructed that it’s acceptable to remove them in the office, the individuals said, adding that staff also publicly joke about the risk of coronavirus and play down the pandemic’s threat.

“You get made fun of, if you wear a mask,” said one person. “There’s social pressure not to do it.”

The individuals described an environment where campaign staff have been discouraged from telling colleagues whether they were exposed to the virus,......

The Trump campaign’s internal posture toward coronavirus mirrors Trump’s own recent disregard for the outbreak, with the president publicly playing down the threat and the White House moving to scale back use of masks for visitors.........

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/10/trump-campaign-office-social-distancing-356439

:(

@AP
·
8m

Now that Brazil's President Bolsonaro is infected with the coronavirus, precautions he shunned for months have become part of his cloistered life at the official residence in capital Brasilia. Here, a glimpse inside at his new routine.