Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

COVID-19 quarantine reactions/ coping......


Recommended Posts

Re:

Facing massive fines and jail, N.J. gym owner says nothing will make him close his doors

The owners of Atilis Gym have been arrested and threatened with hefty fines, but say they will fight to keep their doors open no matter what.

New Jersey gym owner who faces the possibility of $15,000 per day fines for refusing to close his gym, despite state ordinances during the coronavirus pandemic, said Friday that nothing will stop him from opening his doors.

Atilis Gym in Bellmawr opened in May, defying Gov. Phil Murphy’s executive order to remain closed during the pandemic, and sparking a legal battle.

 

The owners, Ian Smith and Frank Trumbetti, have received and ignored several citations and were arrested last month and charged with contempt, obstruction and violating the Disaster Control Act.

They reopened the gym less than a week later.........

 

New Jersey was one of the hardest-hit states early on in the pandemic before it appeared to have successfully flattened the coronavirus curve. But in late July and early August, the state saw the number of new cases spike by 175 percent.

Murphy responded by tightening restrictions on the number of people who can gather at indoor venues or parties from 100 to 25.

The governor said at the time that the state was “standing in a very dangerous place”

and he placed the blame squarely on the “knuckleheads” who fail to follow the rules...........

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/facing-massive-fines-jail-n-j-gym-owner-says-nothing-n1236786?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

default_dry.png

 

Who you calling a knucklehead ?

cc4475c039bb9e7a0fc1aa3b733b56f1.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Profiteering off the Pandemic

 American billionaires have been cleaning up.

"Since the start of the pandemic, American billionaires have been cleaning up. As more than 50 million Americans filed for unemployment insurance, billionaires became $637 billion richer. Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg’s wealth has ballooned 59 percent. Amazon’s Jeff Bezos’s, 39 percent. Walmart’s Walton family has added $25 billion.

Big drug company CEOs and their major investors are doing nicely, too.  Since the start of the pandemic, Big Pharma has raised prices on over 250 prescription drugs, 61 of which are being used to treat Covid-19.  

Apologists say this is the “free market” responding to supply and demand – the barons of Big Tech, online retailing, and Big Pharma merely providing what consumers desperately need during the pandemic.  

But the market also operates under laws that ban profiteering, price gouging, and monopolizing, and that tax excess profits in wartime. Where did they go?

The Trump administration hasn’t enforced them.

Trump is also ignoring laws that ban trades on insider information.......

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/08/15/profiteering-pandemic

:(

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nursing Home Magnate Cozied Up to Trump as Deaths Rose in His Facilities

Nursing homes linked to major Trump donor Eliezer Scheiner received over $27 million in Covid-19 funds even as residents died amid poor conditions.
 
"........TL Management hired lobbyists to assist them in getting federal funding, and Scheiner-affiliated nursing homes identified by The Intercept have received over $27 million in grants and loans since the Covid-19 crisis began, public records show — and many of them are among the worst-rated nursing homes in their states. ........
 
....“Nursing homes get a lot of money,” said Harrington, the retired nursing professor. “I think they really like Trump, because since he’s been in office, he’s really made major efforts to deregulate nursing homes. Federal money is clearly for testing, staffing, and PPE, but deregulation means they don’t actually have to spend their money on that,” ........
 
 
<_<
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, hamradio said:

Re:

Facing massive fines and jail, N.J. gym owner says nothing will make him close his doors

The owners of Atilis Gym have been arrested and threatened with hefty fines, but say they will fight to keep their doors open no matter what.

New Jersey gym owner who faces the possibility of $15,000 per day fines for refusing to close his gym, despite state ordinances during the coronavirus pandemic, said Friday that nothing will stop him from opening his doors.

Atilis Gym in Bellmawr opened in May, defying Gov. Phil Murphy’s executive order to remain closed during the pandemic, and sparking a legal battle.

 

The owners, Ian Smith and Frank Trumbetti, have received and ignored several citations and were arrested last month and charged with contempt, obstruction and violating the Disaster Control Act.

They reopened the gym less than a week later.........

 

New Jersey was one of the hardest-hit states early on in the pandemic before it appeared to have successfully flattened the coronavirus curve. But in late July and early August, the state saw the number of new cases spike by 175 percent.

Murphy responded by tightening restrictions on the number of people who can gather at indoor venues or parties from 100 to 25.

The governor said at the time that the state was “standing in a very dangerous place”

and he placed the blame squarely on the “knuckleheads” who fail to follow the rules...........

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/facing-massive-fines-jail-n-j-gym-owner-says-nothing-n1236786?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

default_dry.png

 

Who you calling a knucklehead ?

cc4475c039bb9e7a0fc1aa3b733b56f1.jpg

Revoke their bails and send them to state prison where they can "work out" with the inmates.

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://khn.org/news/covid-data-failures-create-pressure-for-public-health-system-overhaul/view/republish/

COVID Data Failures Create Pressure for Public Health System Overhaul

By Harris MeyerAUGUST 14, 2020

After terrorists slammed a plane into the Pentagon on 9/11, ambulances rushed scores of the injured to community hospitals, but only three of the patients were taken to specialized trauma wards. The reason: The hospitals and ambulances had no real-time information-sharing system.

Nineteen years later, there is still no national data network that enables the health system to respond effectively to disasters and disease outbreaks. Many doctors and nurses must fill out paper forms on COVID-19 cases and available beds and fax them to public health agencies, causing critical delays in care and hampering the effort to track and block the spread of the coronavirus.

“We need to be thinking long and hard about making improvements in the data-reporting system so the response to the next epidemic is a little less painful,” said Dr. Dan Hanfling, a vice president at In-Q-Tel, a nonprofit that helps the federal government solve technology problems in health care and other areas. “And there will be another one.”

There are signs the COVID-19 pandemic has created momentum to modernize the nation’s creaky, fragmented public health data system, in which nearly 3,000 local, state and federal health departments set their own reporting rules and vary greatly in their ability to send and receive data electronically.

Sutter Health and UC Davis Health, along with nearly 30 other provider organizations around the country, recently launched a collaborative effort to speed and improve the sharing of clinical data on individual COVID cases with public health departments.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Last month, the Trump administration abruptly ordered hospitals to report all COVID-19 data to a private vendor hired by the Department of Health and Human Services rather than to the long-established reporting system run by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The administration said the switch would help the White House coronavirus task force better allocate scarce supplies.

The shift disrupted, at least temporarily, the flow of critical information needed to track COVID-19 outbreaks and allocate resources, public health officials said. They worried the move looked political in nature and could dampen public confidence in the accuracy of the data.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hamradio said:

More people finding out, one don't put God to the test.  He will NOT protect you by putting one's self into harms way.  

God doesn't protect stupid.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
·

School virus outbreaks wreck Trump's plans for return to normal

 
President Trump hoped schools and colleges would reopen their doors this fall,
marking the retreat of the coronavirus pandemic and the start of an economic revival just months before the presidential election.
 
Virus Outbreaks are shattering those hopes.
 

Thousands of kids and coeds are getting sick, along with their teachers, triggering mass quarantines, campus closures and last-minute switches to online learning.

Virus-proof kids who are “virtually immune” to the scourge — that was what the president promised. A few days into the new school year, that prediction hasn’t held together.

 

“His promises have proven to be false,” said Rep. Bennie Thompson, a Mississippi Democrat whose home state has seen coronavirus infections in 87 percent of the counties as of Monday, thrusting more than 2,000 students and nearly 600 teachers into quarantine.

“Children are getting infected at a greater percentage. Teachers are getting infected at a greater percentage,”..........

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/19/coronavirus-outbreaks-schools-trump-398839

<_<

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

College students blast administrators over COVID-19 outbreaks on campus

Student newspapers at colleges across the country are calling out school administrators over coronavirus concerns on campus.

The University of Maryland paper accused the school of “willful ignorance” over revenue concerns, while officials said it’s “not an argument of health vs. money.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/college-students-blast-administrators-over-covid-19-outbreaks-on-campus-90486341994?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

:unsure:

Link to post
Share on other sites
 
"This is a danger to our community." Parents and teachers want to know about coronavirus outbreaks in schools, but some districts are hiding information about cases, stoking fear and anger.
 
Parents I spoke to said they were told to keep quiet about positive cases and class quarantines.
 
Some teachers are afraid of losing their jobs if they disclose their positive test result. Districts & states often cite privacy laws to conceal outbreaks, but others are transparent.......
 
In Georgia, the Camden County school district won't confirm a single case, even though parents, students and teachers have been quietly told to quarantine.
“We’re safer if we know what’s going on, but their pan answer is, ‘We can neither confirm or deny,'" a parent told me..........
 
 
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Do NOT expect the schools in Red States to honestly report what is happening with COVID-19.  Also, expect them to be very slow in taking any positive actions to contain the spread. 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Florida teachers opposed to returning to classroom

win lawsuit with Gov. DeSantis

A Florida judge said the state 'prioritized reopening schools statewide in August over safety and the advice of health experts'.
 

Hopefully this will encourage teachers in other states to file suits.  Of course, DeSantis will probably appeal it.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TheCid said:

Hopefully this will encourage teachers in other states to file suits.  Of course, DeSantis will probably appeal it.

I assume you're aware that both sides will  appeal the vast majority of ruling they lose to a higher court  (in this case State appeals board,  and after that Federal count).   

So the only open-question for me for all of these rulings is the likelihood a higher court,  especially the Supreme Count,   will even take such a case.

I just pointing this out since you use of  'Of course' could be interpreted as this being a stunt only the right \ Republicans use.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I assume you're aware that both sides will  appeal the vast majority of ruling they lose to a higher court  (in this case State appeals board,  and after that Federal count).   

So the only open-question for me for all of these rulings is the likelihood a higher court,  especially the Supreme Count,   will even take such a case.

I just pointing this out since you use of  'Of course' could be interpreted as this being a stunt only the right \ Republicans use.  

 

Well aware that both sides appeal in most cases.  Not sure this would go to the Supreme Court or a Federal court as it may be classified as a state issue.  It is in Florida courts now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Well aware that both sides appeal in most cases.  Not sure this would go to the Supreme Court or a Federal court as it may be classified as a state issue.  It is in Florida courts now.

Like I posted it will go to a Florida State Appeal board.   But regardless of how they rule,  my understanding (based on talking with my in-law DA,  lawyer side of the family) that either side can take a "final" state court ruling  to Federal court,  but a Federal court will only hear a state case when there is a US. Constitutional question at play.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Like I posted it will go to a Florida State Appeal board.   But regardless of how they rule,  my understanding (based on talking with my in-law DA,  lawyer side of the family) that either side can take a "final" state court ruling  to Federal court,  but a Federal court will only hear a state case when there is a US. Constitutional question at play.

 

 

Correct.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...