Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

COVID-19 quarantine reactions/ coping......

Today's stats show the NYC borough of Staten Island with the highest Covid positivity rate in the city (6.0%). This seems counter-intuitive, since Staten Island is the most rural borough, with more people having  their own homes, not living in apartments, not needing to take the subway/buses to the same  extent as the other boroughs. Manhattan has the lowest positivity rate (2.8%), despite being more densely populated, having more people on the streets, in apartments, elevators, subways, buses, etc.  How'd this happen? 

Maybe it's because Staten Island is the one Republican borough of New York City, and the one where fewest precautions (e.g. mask wearing) are being followed. In the recent election, Biden received 86.7% of the votes in Manhattan; Trump received 57% of the votes in Staten Island, the one borough he carried.

A hospital nurse lives in my neighborhood.  Has had at least three social events in past month with parents and their children.  No masks, no social distancing that I could see based on groups outside and on porch.

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, ElCid said:

A hospital nurse lives in my neighborhood.  Has had at least three social events in past month with parents and their children.  No masks, no social distancing that I could see based on groups outside and on porch.

Unfortunately there's no cure for human nature. Biden will find this out..

30 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Again what can you do regarding human nature?

Pass laws and enforce them.      E.g.  anyone found in violation of Covid-19 restrictions is denied a stimulus check and those that wouldn't get one anyway,  are fined 10K per violation.

2 hours ago, hamradio said:

Unfortunately there's no cure for human nature. Biden will find this out..

I think he's well aware people will be resistant to doing anything constructive to help stop the spread of the virus.  Otherwise, rates of infection would be stable or possibly dropping if people took the necessary precautions to protect themselves and others.  We've known about the best practices to keep COVID 19 in check since last Spring, and yet, here we are struggling with the virus after all this time.   In short, there are just too many selfish people in America (and elsewhere in the world too) who either don't care about others, let alone themselves, and they are probably also just lazy about it as well.

11 minutes ago, midwestan said:

I think he's well aware people will be resistant to doing anything constructive to help stop the spread of the virus.  Otherwise, rates of infection would be stable or possibly dropping if people took the necessary precautions to protect themselves and others.  We've known about the best practices to keep COVID 19 in check since last Spring, and yet, here we are struggling with the virus after all this time.   In short, there are just too many selfish people in America (and elsewhere in the world too) who either don't care about others, let alone themselves, and they are probably also just lazy about it as well.

Tourists in Australia ignoring rules...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-55471235

• Sad 1
2 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Dr. Fauci pushes back on President Trump's false claims that the US coronavirus death toll is "exaggerated."

"The numbers are real," Fauci said. "We have well over 300,000 deaths, we are averaging two-to-three thousand deaths per day."

https://nbcnews.to/3nbIPdw -

"...........Fauci’s interview came in response to Trump tweeting, "The number of cases and deaths of the China Virus is far exaggerated in the United States because of [The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s] ridiculous method of determination compared to other countries, many of whom report, purposely, very inaccurately and low."

Trump responded to Fauci by tweeting, "Something how Dr. Fauci is revered by the LameStream Media as such a great professional, having done, they say, such an incredible job, yet he works for me and the Trump Administration, and I am in no way given any credit for my work. Gee, could this just be more Fake News?"

Trump has spent most of the pandemic spreading misinformation about the virus and trying to downplay its effects.

December was the most deadly and infectious month of the pandemic in the United States:.......

<_<

Defying CPS, some Chicago Teachers Union members won’t return to schools Monday, say they will teach remotely ‘until buildings are safe’

.......It would be the first in-person classes in CPS since Gov. J.B. Pritzker closed schools statewide in March when the coronavirus began to circulate.

“CPS wants to force pre-K and special education cluster teachers back into buildings on Monday,

six days before Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot’s most recent stay-at-home order expires

— and before health professionals can gauge any additional post-holiday risk of spread,” the union said............

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-chicago-teachers-union-no-return-to-school-20210103-d23hjrgpcrhnrgi3oe7xan6jku-story.html

:huh:

House is about to make wearing masks mandatory on the floor and will put a fine system in place for non compliers

. $500 fine for first offense. $2,500 for second office.

"Fines will be deducted from Member pay (no use of campaign funds or MRA for fines),” per aide.