Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

COVID-19 quarantine reactions/ coping......

& 'Saturday Night Live' opening targets new CDC mask guidelines-

.........During the cold show's open, McKinnon’s Fauci holds a mock press conference remarking on the new guidance released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) this past Thursday that said fully vaccinated people can forgo coronavirus restrictions two weeks after receiving their last required vaccine dose. 

“But a lot of people had questions, such as, 'What does that mean? What the hell are you talking about? Is this a trap?'” McKinnon’s Fauci said. “So, to clear things up, I found a few doctors at the CDC who minored in theater. And I asked them to reenact various scenarios in order to demonstrate correct mask behavior.”........

see: https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/553744-saturday-night-live-targets-new-cdc-mask-guidelines

:blink:

Dr. Sanjay Gupta says the CDC mishandled announcement of new mask guidelines-

".........Gupta said the CDC "made a critical error here in surprising basically everyone with a very significant change."

He added that just days before the announcement was made, he spoke to senior leaders at the CDC who told him indoor masking would probably be the last thing to be lifted because "it is so effective and it's not that hard to do in most situations — just to put a mask on."

Another point of concern is the lack of guidance on how best to implement these new guidelines, and if the loosened restrictions could potentially increase the risk of infection for those who cannot yet get vaccinated and the immuno-compromised. ........

:wacko:

CDC mask update sparks confusion, opposition.....

"........Health experts expressed shock in the days following the CDC’s updated guidance, with some arguing the loosened recommendations go too far and risk jeopardizing the country’s recovery from the pandemic. 

Leana Wen, an emergency physician and public health professor at George Washington University, said she thinks the CDC went “one step way too far”

and should have limited its update to what fully vaccinated people can do around other fully vaccinated people because they’re more protected from contracting COVID-19.

“If they had just stuck to that point, we wouldn't be in this mess,” she said.

“But unfortunately they then had to add that vaccinated people don't need to be wearing masks, which has then devolved into the understanding now across the country that mask mandates don't need to be there anymore.”........

But administration officials have defended the updated guidance, saying it is based on science, reflects the vaccines’ effectiveness and signals a step closer toward normalcy.........

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/553981-cdc-mask-update-sparks-confusion-opposition

-_-  :unsure:

CDC remakes its Covid-19 response after criticism over mask guidelines-

The changes in recent weeks include creating a clear reporting chain from the new director of the agency’s vaccine task force up to Walensky.-

"......The changes in recent weeks include creating a clear reporting chain from the new director of the agency’s vaccine task force — which helped rewrite rules for mask-wearing — up to Walensky. The head of that task force had originally reported to both CDC and the White House. Walensky has also reshuffled the CDC’s pandemic modeling and data, analytics and visualization task forces...............

Health officials and experts across the country decried the new CDC advice, saying the agency’s recommendations would be difficult for state and local officials to implement and enforce.

“I would expect the CDC to recommend to local and state public health departments that when your vaccination coverage is at this level, when your cases are at this level … that is when you can locally recommend lifting mask requirements for vaccinated people,” said Celine Gounder, an infectious disease expert at New York University and a former adviser for Biden’s transition Covid-19 advisory board. “That is not what happened in this case.”

A senior health official working on the vaccine said the agency does not have the ability or wherewithal to craft local public health guidelines, and that it was up to local officials to find ways to guide their communities. ...........

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/05/17/cdc-covid-masks-walensky-489160

:wacko:

An emergency room physician weighs in on CDC’s relaxed masking, distancing guidelines

"............Similarly, it would be fine to say, listen, vaccines protect you. They protect you tremendously well. But for the sake of our community, we're all going to keep indoor masking just a little bit longer to help keep each other safe until everyone who wants a vaccine has had the chance to be fully vaccinated.

It would also have been great to see some metrics to provide policy guidance to states and to businesses. I think California's decision is absolutely right.

Give it a little more time, so that all those folks who just became eligible in mid-April actually have the chance to get vaccines in arms and for the vaccines to take effect.

This is just an ex extension of what we have done for the last 15 months with protecting our community. A few more weeks of masking is not going to hurt us. ..........

At some point, we can't protect everyone forever. And people who choose not to get vaccinated after vaccines are fully available, at some point, they are taking on a risk for themselves. But it is the rest of the community who I am worried about. It is those folks on chemo or immunosuppressants or kids, right?; 12-to-15 year olds just became eligible for vaccines.

And it is going to be tough to keep masks on kids when no one else is wearing them. So, that is exactly the concern is, what does this mean for our larger community? Now, things will continue to change. Cases will continue to drop. Hopefully, vaccines in arms will continue to week.

In a few weeks from now, or, like California has said, in mid-June, that is an appropriate time to start to relax guidance.

So, I think the CDC was right to talk about the science.

I wish that big businesses and states weren't rushing to change policy based off of the fact that vaccines work. ,,,,,"

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/an-emergency-room-physician-weighs-in-on-cdcs-relaxed-masking-distancing-guidelines?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=pbsofficial&utm_campaign=newshour&utm_content=1621296496

:unsure:

On 5/16/2021 at 1:11 PM, hamradio said:

When will we be able to sing "(Feigl) Ding Dong  Covid is Dead"?

:P

You could say when the media stops reporting on new cases, CDC guidelines and deaths.  But as another poster stated, it is probably with us forever in some variant.

Pro Trump talkers wanted to argue both that coronavirus was no big deal, nothing to stop the economy over - and also a Chinese biological super-weapon. More at
On 5/15/2021 at 4:32 PM, mr6666 said:

States ranked by percentage of population fully vaccinated: May 15

".........As of 6 a.m. EDT May 14, a total of 120,258,637 Americans had been fully vaccinated,

or 36.2 percent of the country's population, according to the CDC's data.

Below are the states and Washington, D.C., ranked by the percentage of their population that has been fully vaccinated against COVID-19, according to the CDC. To view the states ranked by percentage of the population who've received at least one dose, click here.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/public-health/states-ranked-by-percentage-of-population-vaccinated-march-15.html

:unsure:

2 hours ago, mr6666 said:

That's why I still wear a mask and spend as little time in stores and so forth as I can.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
52 minutes ago, ElCid said:

That's why I still wear a mask and spend as little time in stores and so forth as I can.

To protect yourself or others?   A mask isn't going to provide much,  if any,  additional protection to those that have been fully vaccinated.

I.e. their risk-rate is already in the high 90s,  and a mask would only add about 1% more protection.    

CDC and others keep changing the guidance.  Just this week I heard CDC guidance that vaccinated people should continue to wear masks.

Also, at this point nobody really knows what variants are out there and whether or not vaccine provides protection against them.  In addition, I live in an area with high infection rates and low vaccination rates.

Better safe and healthy than sorry.  CDC has stated that masks provide protection to wearer - and more than just 1%.

No medical facility permits entry unless wearing a mask.  My vets office will not even permit entry into the building and requires a mask when interacting with the person who comes out to pick up or return the pet.

43 minutes ago, ElCid said:

CDC and others keep changing the guidance.  Just this week I heard CDC guidance that vaccinated people should continue to wear masks.

Also, at this point nobody really knows what variants are out there and whether or not vaccine provides protection against them.  In addition, I live in an area with high infection rates and low vaccination rates.

Better safe and healthy than sorry.  CDC has stated that masks provide protection to wearer - and more than just 1%.

No medical facility permits entry unless wearing a mask.  My vets office will not even permit entry into the building and requires a mask when interacting with the person who comes out to pick up or return the pet.

There are exceptions of mask rollbacks i.e. medical facilities, nursing homes. schools.

Despite CDC COVID Guidance, Some Still Require Masks

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20210514/despite-new-cdc-covid-guidance-some-still-require-masks

2 hours ago, ElCid said:

Again,  that 1% was the additional protection a mask provided to the vaccinated.      The prior mask protection stats were for those that were NOT vaccinated.   E.g.  if for the non-vaccinated a mask provides 40% protection,    and for the vaccinated the vaccine provides 92% protection;  well,   one doesn't add 92 to 40 and say one is 132% protected!!!

BREAKING (CNN): New England—the whole region—is now 70%+ partially or wholly vaccinated against COVID-19, making it the safest place in America virus-wise by far.
Just three *states*—and they're scattered across the country: New Mexico, Hawaii, New Jersey—have reached that level.