Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

COVID-19 quarantine reactions/ coping......

In the first place I registered for the site 13 years ago! Most did not add their location back then. As far as I'm concerned it's a matter of personal preference divulging any personal info. I have told many, stories Sepia about living in NY and then moiving in the 1970's. Probably 10 tiumes more often than you posting your real name and to be perfectly honest I don't really care about posters real names unless it's someone I am talking to thru a pm and even then, I have a friend on the bds. who I've been talking to thru pm's for years and he's uncomfortable giving his name to anyone on the bds. That has no bearing on our bd. friendship. I respect his right to privacy. That's what this is about the right to privacy. Knowing someone's name or location has no impact on yours or anyone else's life but might make that person uncomfortable. Please,Respect that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
24 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

In the first place I registered for the site 13 years ago! Most did not add their location back then. As far as I'm concerned it's a matter of personal preference divulging any personal info. I have told many, stories Sepia about living in NY and then moiving in the 1970's. Probably 10 tiumes more often than you posting your real name and to be perfectly honest I don't really care about posters real names unless it's someone I am talking to thru a pm and even then, I have a friend on the bds. who I've been talking to thru pm's for years and he's uncomfortable giving his name to anyone on the bds. That has no bearing on our bd. friendship. I respect his right to privacy. That's what this is about the right to privacy. Knowing someone's name or location has no impact on yours or anyone else's life but might make that person uncomfortable. Please,Respect that.

This is not about real names or even precise locations, just general locations.  When you comment on what is going on in your area, it helps to know where your area is.  As you said, you have already posted where you live.

• Thanks 1
23 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Can't understand it. Please, someone provide an intelligent sounding reason for it.

Actually sepia, you can find out anyone's location if you know how to read their IP address. But I wholly understand reticence to reveal anything private-especially when it's asked for! 

I have been noticing the gulf of a difference between what men see as "threatening" vs what women see as "threatening". I'm not usually very sexist, might as well be "one of the guys" but have noticed that I'm always much more nervous & aware of my surroundings when alone than guys are in the same situation.

• Like 2

Some places here have lifted mask requirements. I'm still wearing mine (even though I've had both vaccinations) in public. I don't care if people stare at me. Not sure I'll ever feel safe again with a lot of people around w/out wearing one........

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, ElCid said:

This is not about real names or even precise locations, just general locations.  When you comment on what is going on in your area, it helps to know where your area is.  As you said, you have already posted where you live.

That's right, I already have many times over the years, so why the confused icon on my post? 

1 minute ago, lavenderblue19 said:

That's right, I already have many times over the years, so why the confused icon on my post? 

I think you were confused about the issue.  It is not about posting your name or exact location and so forth, but about posting your general (state) geographic location.  Especially when commenting on what is going on in your area.  Also, don't expect us to remember where everybody says they were located at one time.  Some posters also move around quite a bit.

• Confused 1

When this is finally over has society learned anything or will the same mistakes / issues surface if something deadlier comes our way.

If anybody thinks the death toll from past diseases i.e. the Bubonic Plague is the thing of the past....THINK AGAIN!  Oh how our modern medicine got caught off guard with this by comparison a cake walk.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, hamradio said:

When this is finally over has society learned anything or will the same mistakes / issues surface if something deadlier comes our way.

I said this on pg 1. One of the reasons C-19 took such hold is because so few people are healthy enough to fight off & recover from the virus- granted some conditions can't be helped, but one of the biggest health issues of our society is obesity.  Yet we continue to eat junk and not excersize.

I have an auto immune condition & have always been aware of limiting close contact with strangers, close talkers, etc so nothing changed in my germ-phobe world. While Dr's keep pushing hydroxychloroquine to manage my condition, for the past couple of decades I've taken control by eating healthy, regular excersize & increasing exposure. What a concept.

Multiply that concept for each person polluting the planet/global warming. The life system of the earth has been diseased, is it any wonder we experience more catastrophic weather & flooding coastlines? Instead of modifying our behaviour to help cleanse our bio-system, humans continue exploiting it & trying to fight it off by installing air conditioning & building flood walls - analogous to maintenance drugs.

I do think other factors that made C-19 so devastating was complete lack of leadership-and I don't mean Fauci/CDC. Remember the first Obama thing Chump discarded- pandemic emergency plan/funding.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
20 hours ago, hamradio said:

If anybody thinks the death toll from past diseases i.e. the Bubonic Plague is the thing of the past....THINK AGAIN!  Oh how our modern medicine got caught off guard with this by comparison a cake walk.

It will never be over so long as so many people refuse to recognize it as a health emergency preferring to call it a political issue.  

I don't think modern medicine got "caught off guard" over COVID so much as it moved so quickly and the resources were unavailable to fight it.  The scientist and medical community recognized it and tried to combat it, but the Republican/right wing/Trump political community and selfish people interfered.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Today's topic on "Inside Edition"... WOWK.

Do   women wearing mask prevent getting cat calls?

The Cat Call Mask Test

11233.jpg

So don't toss those mask out just yet! 

:rolleyes:

Five states have yet to administer one dose of the coronavirus vaccine to half their populations as vaccinations in the U.S. have slowed in recent months.

Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee and Wyoming are all struggling to get their populations vaccinated,

with data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) this week showing they have not given one dose to more than 50 percent of their populations. .........

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/558135-five-states-have-yet-to-administer-one-dose-of-vaccine-to-half-their

:(

2 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Five states have yet to administer one dose of the coronavirus vaccine to half their populations as vaccinations in the U.S. have slowed in recent months.

Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee and Wyoming are all struggling to get their populations vaccinated,

with data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) this week showing they have not given one dose to more than 50 percent of their populations. .........

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/558135-five-states-have-yet-to-administer-one-dose-of-vaccine-to-half-their

:(

The deep south almost always has the worst health metrics (obesity, diabetes, etc)

June 16, 2021

Morning Update: COVID-19 outbreak infects 138 children in remote Northern Ontario First Nation

OMAIR QUADRI 

Good morning, 

A COVID-19 outbreak has infected 138 children in Kashechewan, a remote First Nation along the James Bay coast, prompting calls for emergency shelters to facilitate isolation in the community, which has long suffered severe housing challenges. 

Among those who have tested positive are two infants, one seven weeks old and another four months old. About 65 per cent of the community’s active infections are among children under 17. 

Leo Friday, the community’s chief, said about 74 per cent of adults in the community are fully vaccinated, having received doses in February and March as part of Operation Remote Immunity, which held vaccination clinics in 31 remote First Nations in Northern Ontario. But, he said, the 26 per cent of adults who haven’t been vaccinated, as well as those under 17 who were ineligible for vaccination, are now getting infected. 

Leo Friday

Kashechewan Chief Leo Friday speaks during a news conference on Parliament Hill in Ottawa, Tuesday April 30, 2019. ADRIAN WYLD/THE CANADIAN PRESS

• Sad 1

John Oliver Questions Decision to Proceed With Tokyo Summer Olympics

The 'Last Week Tonight' host said financial factors are a primary motivation but made a case that it's too soon to safely hold the event, which was postponed from last summer due the pandemic.

.......“Despite the fact that the pandemic is very still much not over, the Games seem to be going ahead, and not everyone in Japan is thrilled about that,” Oliver said, then showing news footage of protestors and Shigeru Omi, “Japan’s version of Dr. Fauci,” saying “the situation is not normal.”

The problem? Japan has a daily COVID-19 death rate higher than when the Games were canceled last summer as well as a slow vaccine rollout,

with only six percent of Japan’s population only fully vaccinated at this point............

Oliver said organizers seem to be basing their decision in large part on financial considerations, with Japan having already spent $15.4 billion on the Games, though government audits imply that it’s actually twice that much.

Yet, according to a CBS News report, Tokyo has no authority to cancel the Games — only the International Olympic Committee has the actual power to make such a decision..........

“Hosting the Olympics is never a good idea for a city. And it’s not like Japan needs the Olympics to boost tourism,” Oliver said.

He continued: “While I truly hope for everyone’s benefit that this works out, you can’t help feeling that the main motivator in this even taking place is money. So, will it be worth it?”

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/john-oliver-tokyo-summer-olympics-last-week-tonight-1234971058/

-_-

The county commissioners here held a meeting last week about Covid. They pledged not to spend any

money to entice people to get the vaccine. Then some of the local loonies took to the floor and  talked

about supposed side effects and how it was just a plot by the gov't. One might expect the commissioners

to politely push back against such nonsense. Nope, they went full nutjob and agreed with it. I knew there

are a lot of idiots around here, but I thought maybe the elected reps had some common sense, but turns

out they don't. So this week they find out that YT has taken down the video of the meeting, which is routinely

posted on YT, for propagating medical misinformation. Of course these dopes are having all kinds of hissy

fits over this, trying to find some way to get back at Google/YT, though there isn't much they can do. What

a treat to see these idiots get their ears pinned back. And good to know what kind of loonies are running

things.

• Haha 1
49 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

The county commissioners here held a meeting last week about Covid. They pledged not to spend any

money to entice people to get the vaccine. Then some of the local loonies took to the floor and  talked

about supposed side effects and how it was just a plot by the gov't. One might expect the commissioners

to politely push back against such nonsense. Nope, they went full nutjob and agreed with it. I knew there

are a lot of idiots around here, but I thought maybe the elected reps had some common sense, but turns

out they don't. So this week they find out that YT has taken down the video of the meeting, which is routinely

posted on YT, for propagating medical misinformation. Of course these dopes are having all kinds of hissy

fits over this, trying to find some way to get back at Google/YT, though there isn't much they can do. What

a treat to see these idiots get their ears pinned back. And good to know what kind of loonies are running

things.

Ah, the benefits of living in the South where districts are gerrymandered to favor GOPers.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, ElCid said:

Ah, the benefits of living in the South where districts are gerrymandered to favor GOPers.

Henderson county is red enough that no manipulation  is necessary. There are nuts everywhere,

but to have elected officials, who one would think have a modicum of common sense, go along

with these folks surprised me. Usually there is one troublemaker in a group, but all five went

along with this stupidity. But it was fun to watch YT give them a well-deserved slap down. 

A few years ago the state legislators didn't like the Asheville city voting system because the 

Dems won. They changed it from at large to district voting to give the Republicans a chance. But

Asheville is still an overwhelmingly Democratic place. 

• Thanks 1