Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
reneex

TCM Star of the month: Warren William

Would love to see the films on this handsome and underrated actor.

• Like 3

If memory serves correctly, Backlot members had a chance to vote for Warren William or Dick Powell two years ago for Star of the Month. But Powell was selected, not William.

However, Warren William has had a Summer Under the Stars day.

Oh thanks. Still would love to see a star of the month in his honor.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Artemus said:

I would like to catch up with his Lone Wolf films. 

That was a nice Columbia serial and thus not likely to be seen on TCM.

The first one,   Lone Wolf Spy Hunt had Ida Lupino and Rita Hayworth.

The Lone Wolf Spy Hunt poster.jpg

• Like 2

I scurried over to the database because I thought I'd seen at least the first two Lone Wolf entries on TCM. They're all still in the single digit number of TCM airings. The last time any of them were shown was May 2016.

7 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I scurried over to the database because I thought I'd seen at least the first two Lone Wolf entries on TCM. They're all still in the single digit number of TCM airings. The last time any of them were shown was May 2016.

I know that TCM showed the first one,  Lone Wolf Spy Hunt as part of a Ida Lupino tribute,  as well as one other early Paramount film (Search for Beauty?),   before showing mostly her Warner Bros contract films.

• Thanks 1

All of the Lone Wolf films were shown somewhere around 2012 (???) on Saturdays. TCM went through quite a few of the Columbia serials at the time - the Rusty series and the Crime Doctor too if I remember correctly.

2 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

All of the Lone Wolf films were shown somewhere around 2012 (???) on Saturdays. TCM went through quite a few of the Columbia serials at the time - the Rusty series and the Crime Doctor too if I remember correctly.

I've been a loyal viewer of TCM since it started and I don't recall either the Lone Wolf or Crime Doctor serials being shown on TCM.     Wow,  if TCM did I missed it.

GET-TV,  which features Columbia films,   did play all of the Lone Wolf and Crime Doctor films over a year ago  (as well as Boston B-L-A-C-K-I-E).

Never seen "the Rusty series" but I like Margret Lindsay.

On 3/22/2020 at 12:54 PM, reneex said:

Would love to see the films on this handsome and underrated actor.

WARREN WILLIAM is neglected; he was wonderful. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

WARREN WILLIAM is neglected; he was wonderful. 

Yes he was;     TCM does show many of this Warner Bros pre-code and early 30s films,   but little of his Columbia work.

Image result for warren william

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I've been a loyal viewer of TCM since it started and I don't recall either the Lone Wolf or Crime Doctor serials being shown on TCM.     Wow,  if TCM did I missed it.

GET-TV,  which features Columbia films,   did play all of the Lone Wolf and Crime Doctor films over a year ago  (as well as Boston B-L-A-C-K-I-E).

Never seen "the Rusty series" but I like Margret Lindsay.

I'm sure that they showed it, but the year is what I am unsure of. I looked it up in moviecollectoroh's database and it looks like the Lone Wolf played in late 2011 into 2012 on TCM. The Crime Doctor series played in March 2011.  The Rusty series played in 2016 on TCM. I do not have GET-TV, so I don't get to see the old Columbias.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yes he was;     TCM does show many of this Warner Bros pre-code and early 30s films,   but little of his Columbia work.

Image result for warren william

The reason I'm familiar with WARREN WILLIAM is because of TCM!  30 years ago, I don't think I could have named him.  To me, he's like WILLIAM POWELL : classy, reliable, credible. 

• Like 1

I bet a lot of folks clicked on this thread thinking it meant the June schedule was up and that Warren William had been chosen as SOTM.

:) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ah, shucks!  That's exactly what I thought.  Now I am really depressed!!!

48 minutes ago, lydecker said:

Ah, shucks!  That's exactly what I thought.  Now I am really depressed!!!

Hehe...it would actually be funny if Warren William has been chosen.

Aaah, Warren William. Yeah, I'd like to see the guy honored as a SOTM, alright. Sure, count me in here!

Although I still remember when he used to always remind me of Snidely Whiplash.

(...but not so much anymore, and since I've caught more of his movies on TCM over the years)

Warren William is one of my favorites.

Who portrayed Perry Mason better:

Warren William

Raymond Burr

On 3/25/2020 at 7:53 AM, Arteesto said:

Warren William

Raymond Burr

I haven't seen the 4 William Mason films in a while but I believe the portrayal of Mason is more true to the book;  Mason is more gritty and  likely  to bend-the-law  to assist his clients (all in the pursuit of justice of course!).

Mason was somewhat sanitized for the T.V. show (again compared to the books).

Hey,  another question here is who was the best Della Street?    3 difference actresses were used in those 4 William films.     Claire Dodd used in #2 and #4.     

Frankly I believe there was a lost opportunity there to cast an actress with a little more juice,  have the Street character play a larger role and use the same actress in all 4.   

• Like 1

On 3/23/2020 at 3:40 PM, LsDoorMat said:

Yes they were but earlier than 2012. part of the Columbia deal I would say circa 2006-2009

1 hour ago, nakano said:

Yes they were but earlier than 2012. part of the Columbia deal I would say circa 2006-2009

TCM had a Columbia deal?    (funny but that has an odd cartel type ring to it!). 

I wish TCM would do this again so I could see some of Jean Arthur's early 30s Columbia films before she made it big with Mr.  Deeds goes to Town in 1936.

TCM has recently shown If You Could Only Cook and The Whole Town's Talking but there are a few other gems out there.

Jean Arthur - signed.jpg

18 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

TCM had a Columbia deal?    (funny but that has an odd cartel type ring to it!). 

I wish TCM would do this again so I could see some of Jean Arthur's early 30s Columbia films before she made it big with Mr.  Deeds goes to Town in 1936.

TCM has recently shown If You Could Only Cook and The Whole Town's Talking but there are a few other gems out there.

Jean Arthur - signed.jpg

Yep. TCM still plays Columbias, but they had a pretty extensive deal for Columbias in the time period mentioned - 2006-2009. Among the  rare things that showed up on TCM at the time:

By Whose Hand??? (1932)  - Showed just once - the morning of January 11, 2007 - in a beautiful print. It is a precode murder mystery on a train.

Anne Carver's Profession (1933) - Apparently if you are a woman and a successful lawyer and your husband strays and has the bad luck to be accused of his mistress' murder it is all your fault.

The Man Who Lived Twice (1936) -  The Crime Doctor was actually a remake of this movie. Except here you get to see the gangster before his transition to good guy.

On 3/25/2020 at 7:53 AM, Arteesto said:

Warren William

Raymond Burr

I go with Raymond Burr, but one was a 1930's movie series and the other was a 1950's TV series so really hard to compare.

As for who was a more accurate depiction of Perry, not really sure.  I have only read one of Gardner's PM books and PM and Paul Drake didn't shy away from breaking the law and even beating up people.  Don't remember this being depicted in the Warren William movies and definitely not in Raymond Burr TV series.  TV would not have allowed it.

Have seen some of the WW movies and OK, as are most of his movies.  Fairly good amount of humor in them as well.  Have all of the PM TV series on DVD and re-watch episodes fairly often.  Part of it may be the late 50's-early 60's atmosphere though.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TheCid said:

As for who was a more accurate depiction of Perry, not really sure.

I used to think that Raymond Burr's portrayal of  Perry Mason was the better of the two..

I have since reconsidered...

Warren William appeared to portray PM in the manner of a  genius raconteur...

Raymond Burr came across as slightly menacing..however...he was intriguing.

Below is an interesting link:

https://www.robertreeveslaw.com/blog/21-amazing-bizarre-facts-perry-mason/