Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
crazyforstanwyck

TCM you're killin' me

We are all stuck in our houses (or we should be) and you are playing war movies all day long for several days in a row. How depressing. And then a night full of Joe E Brown movies. (I can take one at a time , but the whole night?  Quite tiresome after a while) How about some happy, lighter movies  that we haven't seen in a long time for our self-isolation?  I have playlists from many years ago and when Robert was alive the  same movies weren't repeated over and over like they are now.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, crazyforstanwyck said:

We are all stuck in our houses (or we should be) and you are playing war movies all day long for several days in a row. How depressing. And then a night full of Joe E Brown movies. (I can take one at a time , but the whole night?  Quite tiresome after a while) How about some happy, lighter movies  that we haven't seen in a long time for our self-isolation?  I have playlists from many years ago and when Robert was alive the  same movies weren't repeated over and over like they are now.  

Uh,  Joe E. Brown was selected as Star of the Month way before anyone was aware of a pending crises.      Also,   Robert isn't coming back.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, crazyforstanwyck said:

So it sounds as if you feel about the same way toward Joe E. Brown as Buster does here, eh?!

tumblr_lwjila3IOb1qbrdf3o10_r1_400.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Typically the schedules are posted three months in advance. There are occasionally some changes if a star dies or if turns out TCM doesn't have the rights to air something. I did see on another thread it appears they're going to alter some of the April programming to reflect the now-canceled film festival, so maybe something there will please you.

I would assume pretty much all Joe E. Brown movies are lighter, happier fare. I can't say they're necessarily movies that haven't been shown in a long time, other than maybe the handful of Columbia films they're airing. I too am all for more diversity in programming.

There are tons of films you can find on YouTube or elsewhere online, plus with the Criterion Channel you can select any movie you want to watch. Quit relying on TCM to cater specifically to you.

• Thanks 2

I feel like I never hear about people utilizing TCM On Demand when the schedule is lackluster. I use the WatchTV app routinely as they have a number of great TCM movies to choose from on their On Demand feature and they add a bunch of films everyday. Try it sometime.

• Like 1

In the last few months, TCM On Demand on Dish has really beefed up their offerings. Almost every movie that airs on TCM ends up on On Demand—except for a handful of Noir Alley offerings. TCM On Demand used to only be SD, but in the last few months or so, they’ve switched to HD. 

If it were a normal time, I’d also say that the library is an invaluable source to find classic movies. 

16 hours ago, Dargo said:

So it sounds as if you feel about the same way toward Joe E. Brown as Buster does here, eh?!

tumblr_lwjila3IOb1qbrdf3o10_r1_400.gif

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/keaton-dog-car_opt.jpg

Big fan of Buster Keaton here, though he is well known, as are Jimmy Durante, Harold Lloyd and others.  Joe E. Brown was popular among them, though just lesser known today.  A travesty.  Glad to see him recognized among the comic actors.  There are others too that I'd like to see.

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/JoeEBrownJimmyDuranteCirosNightclub1941.jpg

crazyforstanwyck (great moniker, by the way)  -- I feel your pain.  When Joe E. Brown was announced as SOTM a few months ago, I dreaded the month of March.  Little did I know that Joe E. Brown would be the least of our problems!!

Cheer up.  SOTM Jane Russell will be here before you know it.

I think TCM needs to show some Marie Osmond movies to perk us up.

• Haha 2

Don't get me wrong. I like Joe E Brown. Just not 3 movies in a row. My comment was more about the lineup for the last few days which were all war movies. I can't get TCM on demand  because I stream my TV and TCM doesn't list my provider.

15 minutes ago, crazyforstanwyck said:

Don't get me wrong. I like Joe E Brown. Just not 3 movies in a row. My comment was more about the lineup for the last few days which were all war movies. I can't get TCM on demand  because I stream my TV and TCM doesn't list my provider.

I have YoutubeTV, and there are on-demand titles available via that platform (not Watch TCM).  

Don’t get KILLED…face it, the most exciting watch these days are the financial markets.

“If you don’t find a way to get your money working for you, you’ll always be working for your money”

SQQQ – to short

TQQQ – to long

It’s only a flu...

networkcover.0.jpg

happy trading…:wub:

1 hour ago, lydecker said:

crazyforstanwyck (great moniker, by the way)  -- I feel your pain.  When Joe E. Brown was announced as SOTM a few months ago, I dreaded the month of March.  Little did I know that Joe E. Brown would be the least of our problems!!

Cheer up.  SOTM Jane Russell will be here before you know it.

I usually dread the month of March, since I'm neither a big NBA or college basketball fan.  And odd as it sounds, I'm at least grateful to TCM and the coronavirus for the respite from hearing about the silly  "sweet sixteen" crap and idiots b!tching about their "brackets".   And a LOT of otherwise fine television programming does get preempted by those boring(to me, and actually millions of others)  basketball games.  There's(far as I know) SIX channels on which sports are featured and can show those games on and leave our regular television programming alone.  Those of us without the multiple HBO/Showtime premium channels that is.  And too, OTHER news apart from the basketball games does too go on, and littering newscasts with game results(outside the usual sports segment on local newscasts)  and I and MANY others would like to know what ELSE is going on in the world.

And JEANNECRAIN--- did you mean "too" or actually "to"?

Sepiatone 

1 hour ago, crazyforstanwyck said:

As a direct result I usually don't watch TCM live, I DVR it.  If for no other reason, the unnatural concentration of hours and/or air times that would be for me.  I'm not really a binge watcher, no matter what their theme might be.  I need to break it up with my own daily routine and some exercise.

21 hours ago, crazyforstanwyck said:

Love your moniker. Lighten up on this poster all of you and I happen to agree. TCM could change their programming.  I think it shows a lack of concern for TCM viewers right now. War movies are fine but not one after another when we all could use some uplifting. crazyfor stanwyck, ignore their nasty responses  You have a legitmate post and were not nasty. Shame on the ones who answered back in a nasty way.,I'm with you . Much better to watch some comedies and films that haven't been seen in a long time. Right about now I'm in the mood for enjoyable Doris Day, Haley Mills comedies. I would love to watch With Six You Get Eggroll, The Parent Trap, The Trouble with Angels, The World of Henry Orient and the like. TCM, it's time to think of your viewers and show some lighter fare. ps, I have Spectrum and they did away with TCM On Demand. pss- the rest of you, don't bother answering me in a nasty way just to try to be clever :)

21 hours ago, crazyforstanwyck said:

The problem you run into is, different people deal with events differently. Some would want to only watch films about pandemics, others about China, and still others would want to see medical dramas during this crisis. Your opinion is only one of many.

Why not turn it into a game. Instead of complaining  about what TCM is showing, why not make your own idea of a schedule you would like to see on TCM ?

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Love your moniker. Lighten up on this poster all of you and I happen to agree. TCM could change their programming.  I think it shows a lack of concern for TCM viewers right now. War movies are fine but not one after another when we all could use some uplifting. crazyfor stanwyck, ignore their nasty responses  You have a legitmate post and were not nasty. Shame on the ones who answered back in a nasty way.,I'm with you . Much better to watch some comedies and films that haven't been seen in a long time. Right about now I'm in the mood for enjoyable Doris Day, Haley Mills comedies. I would love to watch With Six You Get Eggroll, The Parent Trap, The Trouble with Angels, The World of Henry Orient and the like. TCM, it's time to think of your viewers and show some lighter fare. ps, I have Spectrum and they did away with TCM On Demand. pss- the rest of you, don't bother answering me in a nasty way just to try to be clever :)

You’re assuming everyone finds joy in lighter fare. What if the majority finds joy in watching noir and war films? 

• Like 1

Just now, YourManGodfrey said:

You’re assuming everyone finds joy in lighter fare. What if the majority finds joy in watching noir and war films? 

I love noir and most war films but I sincerely doubt downer films brings "JOY" to most. Humor is the ticket right now, That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it

1 minute ago, lavenderblue19 said:

I love noir and most war films but I sincerely doubt downer films brings "JOY" to most. Humor is the ticket right now, That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it

Over the past few days, I’ve watched westerns, films noir, war films, and comedies. The comedies brought me the least joy. Some people prefer pre-codes, some prefer the 60s. Some prefer comedy, some prefer westerns. People find joy and happiness in different things. 

1 minute ago, YourManGodfrey said:

Over the past few days, I’ve watched westerns, films noir, war films, and comedies. The comedies brought me the least joy. Some people prefer pre-codes, some prefer the 60s. Some prefer comedy, some prefer westerns. People find joy and happiness in different things. 

What can I say, live it up then. Maybe you'd enjoy War of the Worlds or Soylent Green too LOL.  Only kidding. Westerns, Noirs ( which are my fav) are great. War films in marathons are a little much to bear right now. Again, that's my opinion

• Thanks 1

Just now, lavenderblue19 said:

What can I say, live it up then. Maybe you'd enjoy War of the Worlds or Soylent Green too LOL.  Only kidding. Westerns, Noirs ( which are my fav) are great. War films in marathons are a little much to bear right now. Again, that's my opinion

I appreciate that you didn’t get combative, because many would. My only point is that people like different things. If TCM switched to all comedies, I wouldn’t watch TCM as much and would be disappointed. I like to mix up my viewing, so that I don’t get bored with one genre. I actually avoided two submarine movies today, because I didn’t want to watch something with people trapped in a metal tube. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, YourManGodfrey said:

I see both POV here;    Seeing a film with life situations that are a lot more serious then what we are experiencing right now (E.g. social distancing),   can be comforting.    It can shake us up and make us realize that things are not "so bad" in comparison to what others have had to experience (E.g.   living in London during the WWII bombings).

OR NOT!     I also understand wanting to avoiding films with downer situations and instead going for the escapist films like comedies and silly romance. 

1 minute ago, YourManGodfrey said:

I appreciate that you didn’t get combative, because many would. My only point is that people like different things. If TCM switched to all comedies, I wouldn’t watch TCM as much and would be disappointed. I like to mix up my viewing, so that I don’t get bored with one genre. I actually avoided two submarine movies today, because I didn’t want to watch something with people trapped in a metal tube. 

Thanks, no I'm not going to get combative about this, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. and yes, of course mixing it up is the way to go. Showing war movies one after the other is not mixing it up and TCM could do better especially now in the film programming. I'm in the mood to see some films that haven't been shown in quite awhile. The ones I mentioned above are some of them and they are comedies that I'd like to see thrown into the mix. You avoiding 2 submarine movies because as you said you aren't in the mood to see people trapped in a metal tube, that's my point. TCM needs to be a little more thoughtful in their choices right now  :)