Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Gorman

♠ Actors whose movies you collect ♠

Alreet then:  Are there any actors and/or actresses whose movies you collect for your homevideo stash? 

3 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Alreet then:  Are there any actors and/or actresses whose movies you collect for your homevideo stash? 

I used to collect movies for actors I liked;  most of them were Warner Bros. actors like Bogie,  Cagney,   Davis,   DeHavilland \ Flynn etc...

BUT they were all on BETA tape.    Yea,    I received Sony Beta devices from relatives in Japan and these were top-of-the-line (well for their time).

This was before TCM and I would tape them from commercial T.V.    I taped them "live" so I didn't tape any commercials.      I had an IT job that let me work my own hours so I was taping like a mad-man,  at all hours.      Taped around 150 films over a 3 year period.         I only got rid of these Beta tapes a few years back when I realized the wife was right:  I had no need for them and with streaming services etc...  they had little to no value.

• Like 1

The only actors whose work I actively collect (meaning I'll try and get anything they're in) are Marlon BrandoRobert De NiroAl Pacino, and Jack Nicholson. I also passively collect (meaning I'll get them if I run across them at a cheap enough price, but I won't go out of my way for them) the movies of Sean ConneryGene Hackman, and Dustin Hoffman

I collect directors' works more avidly - Martin Scorsese, Akira Kurosawa, Stanley Kubrick, Joel & Ethan Coen, Alfred Hitchcock, John Carpenter, David Fincher, Paul Thomas Anderson, Ridley Scott, Christopher Nolan, Terry Gilliam, Woody Allen, among others.

• Like 3

I agree with directors too. I try to watch all the films of Ingmar Bergman, Federico Fellini and Lars von Trier. I have already seen all the films of Tarkovsky. I think he's the only director I've seen every movie from, besides the ones who made one movie and nothing else.

The only actor that I have any meaningful collection of is James Stewart. I don't actively collect films with specific actors, but I'll try to buy anything with William Powell or James Cagney. I also have a tiny collection of Hitchcock films. 

I added a lil' tag for 'Directors', too. 

Speaking of James Stewart I bought a Stewart movie a few days ago:  THUNDER BAY (1953).

I have several which I've recorded and saved thru the years;  Jean Harlow, Carole Lombard, Mae West, Alice Faye, Joan Crawford, Bette Davis, Robert Montgomery, Tyrone Power just to name some of them.  I usually recorded them when TCM showcased them as SOTM but in the case of Alice Faye or Mae West or even Tyrone Power I would keep an eye out whenever TCM would show one of their films. 

• Like 1

I have several collections. I have an Astaire and Rogers collection. I also have a couple Marx Brothers collections. I collect James Cagney, Bogart, and Edward G. Robinson. There are still several Cagney movies that I want. The majority of my movies are random.

• Like 1

I almost forgot. I have an Eleanor Powell collection. As far as directors go, I have an Alfred Hitchcock and Busby Berkeley collection, as well. 

Very rarely will a movie be a blind buy for me.  The only actors whose films I feel confident blind buying are Errol Flynn and Lucille Ball.  

Aside from Errol and Lucy, there are other actors whose films I actively seek out and purchase if I enjoyed them: Gene Kelly, Judy Garland, Bette Davis, Debbie Reynolds, Fred Astaire, Humphrey Bogart, Jack Lemmon, Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn, Katharine Hepburn, Ginger Rogers, Rita Hayworth, William Powell, Ida Lupino, Eleanor Parker, Eleanor Powell, Doris Day, and Robert Mitchum... Probably more that I can't think of off the top of my head. 

As for directors, I've sought out Alfred Hitchcock, Billy Wilder, Douglas Sirk, Vincente Minnelli,  Nicholas Ray, Robert Siodmak, Orson Welles, Fritz Lang, Carol Reed, Charles Chaplin, John Huston, Ernst Lubitsch, Elia Kazan and David Lean. 

I love buying boxed sets because I feel like I'll get more bang for my buck.  Occasionally, buying a boxed set is the only way to get one particular film that I am seeking.  I own many TCM Greatest collections.  I also have 4 Errol Flynn boxed sets: Errol Flynn Signature Vol 1 and Vol 2; Errol Flynn Westerns; and Errol Flynn Adventures. I have 3 Lucille Ball collections; 2 Doris Day collections; Marilyn Monroe boxed set; 2 Joan Crawford boxed sets; Myrna Loy and William Powell boxed set; a Busby Berkeley collection; a classic musicals collection; a Doris Day/Rock Hudson collection; a Gidget collection; a Frankie and Annette boxed set... and probably many more.

3 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

I agree with directors too. I try to watch all the films of Ingmar Bergman, Federico Fellini and Lars von Trier. I have already seen all the films of Tarkovsky. I think he's the only director I've seen every movie from, besides the ones who made one movie and nothing else.

If the question were which actors' or directors' work are you trying to watch all of, rather than collect (on disc/tape/etc), then my lists would be much longer. Bergman and Fellini are also on my watch list, as are Bunuel, Ford, Hawks, Ozu (I've seen all of his existing films), Lang, Murnau, Lean, Powell, etc.

• Like 1

MGM musicals; Fred and Ginger

Bette

Lana Turner soaps

Screwballs( Carole Lombard, Katharine Hepburn and Irene Dunne-- all with Cary Grant)

Hitchcock

Kurosawa and Mifune

Spencer Tracy

Gerard Depardieu

Truffaut

Bogie

Lon Jr, Boris and Bela

James Whale

Basile Rathbone and Nigel Bruce(Sherlock Holmes)

The Falcon and The Saint ( George and Tom)

💘And a very private guilty pleasure--

Ty Power in anything.  LOL

• Like 3

I too have lots of collections of genres-musicals, noir, documentary, etc. Also Directors like F. Lang. 

My first actor "collection" was easy- Judy Holliday made a limited amount of films, wanted to see them all. 

I'll record almost anything featuring:

Barbara Stanwyck

John Barrymore

Bette Davis 

Ginger Rogers (everything is good!)

Jesse Matthews (hard to find!)

Sometimes I'll record so many featuring the same actor/actress they will fill up one of my genre boxes and rate migration to a box dedicated to them individually. Like I have so many Joan Blondells some can migrate out of "Pre-Codes" to make her own box. That happened with both Stanwyck & Bette Davis bursting out of the "Leading Women" box.

I keep my sets of DVDs in old 16mm film cans.

Interesting thread topic. 

I don't think there is one star or director where I've collected all their films. But there are stars and directors where I try to see all their films, or as many of their films as possible through various sources be it TCM, FXM Retro, Encore, streaming sites like Starz, Amazon Prime, YouTube, etc. Not to mention DVD.

I went through a phase where I was determined to see all of Barbara Stanwyck's films, including the Paramount and Universal stuff that TCM never plays. And recently I have gone out of my way to see every Richard Todd film I can find, especially all his British stuff from the 50s & 60s which I love. Valerie Hobson is another British star I'm crazy about and it is a goal to see all of her films.

In terms of directors Orson Welles' films are sort of required if you are a serious student of film. And I think there is a lot to learn from looking at all of Hitchcock's work including the TV episodes he directed. 

But in terms of collection itself, my idea of collection usually focuses on what is "hard to find." Like I have collected rare titles from Republic that are never broadcast. And stuff from Paramount that is not broadcast. In fact I think if a person has TCM, there is no need to collect the MGM, WB or RKO titles since it all cycles through in roughly a three year period and will keep being replayed on the future schedules. I have never understood why anyone would use Shop TCM to purchase a DVD for something like NORTH BY NORTHWEST that is aired so often. But that's another topic!

Aside from Flynn, Cooper, Bogart, Cagney, Stewart, Peck, Wayne, Garfield, Sheridan, Goddard, De Niro, Pacino, Gable, Montez, Dietrich, Barrymore, Power, Douglas, Lancaster, Washington, Willis and Nicholson, I can't think of anyone whose films I collect.

• Like 2

Montgomery Clift, he is one of my favorite actors and since he only made 17 films and most are easily available, I have all of them. Most are on VHS and some taped off TV. 

His final film The Defector is the most obscure, I have it on a horrible sounding VHS tape, I may have to find a better copy. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Montgomery Clift, he is one of my favorite actors and since he only made 17 films and most are easily available, I have all of them. Most are on VHS and some taped off TV. 

His final film The Defector is the most obscure, I have it on a horrible sounding VHS tape, I may have to find a better copy. 

THE DEFECTOR was released on DVD by the Warner Archive. Currently you can get it for around $10 at Shop TCM:

https://shop.tcm.com/the-defector/883316126608

• Thanks 1

I collect more directors now but with actors it, for me, started  with Spaghetti Westerns and the actors connected with them. I got hooked on Sergio Leone and Clint Eastwood right at the get go. I was already a Western fan from countless rainy and winter Saturdays parked in front of the TV in the late 50s early 60s.

When the Leone Westerns hit the US I could walk to Times Square and catch the latest premiere. 

So I collect the actors I liked from those films which opened up exposure to more actors, more directors though I only collect their performances that I like, I'm not a completist.

Like I mentioned at the get go more into collecting directors and Noir/Neo Noir nowadays. 

But actors I've collected from  my original Western bender

Clint Eastwood - I knew Clint from Rawhide on TV collected most of that series (the ones with Eric Flemming), most of Eastwood's Westerns, his Dirty Harry series, and a few of his director efforts. 

Lee Van Cleef - I knew Van Cleef from his bad guy roles in 50s Westerns and  later some Noir.  I have his other not much seen Spaghetti Westerns, The Big Gundown, Death Rides A Horse, Day Of Anger, El Condor. Of his fifties stuff I have High Noon, Kansas City Confidential,  The Big Combo,  The Tin Star, The BravadosRide Lonesome.  Barquero and American Western is good also.

Eli Wallach - I knew Eli from The Misfits and Westerns such as How The West Was Won (saw that premiered in cinerama in a Times Square theater) The Magnificent Seven so I've collected  those The Good The Bad And The Ugly of course and his Noir - The Lineup 

Gian Maria Volonte - the villain of For A Few Dollars More - made another good Spaghetti Western called A Bullet For The General and Face to Face. He's also in Le Cercle Rouge.

Tomas Milian - the quarry in The big Gundown, was good  in Run, Man, Run, Tepepa, Companeros,The Four of the Apocalypse... 

Franco Nero - The Mercenary - Keoma

• Like 3

The only actors I "collect" mainly  are---

LAUREL AND HARDY

MARX BROTHERS

BUSTER KEATON

As what they did left(for me) most of their filmography "collectable" in my estimation.  Otherwise, if I have more of some particular actor's movies than another's it's because they probably made MORE MOVIES that I like than anyone else.   Same with actresses. 

Sepiatone

7 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I too have lots of collections of genres-musicals, noir, documentary, etc. Also Directors like F. Lang. 

My first actor "collection" was easy- Judy Holliday made a limited amount of films, wanted to see them all. 

I'll record almost anything featuring:

Barbara Stanwyck

John Barrymore

Bette Davis 

Ginger Rogers (everything is good!)

*Jesse Matthews (hard to find!)

Sometimes I'll record so many featuring the same actor/actress they will fill up one of my genre boxes and rate migration to a box dedicated to them individually. Like I have so many Joan Blondells some can migrate out of "Pre-Codes" to make her own box. That happened with both Stanwyck & Bette Davis bursting out of the "Leading Women" box.

I keep my sets of DVDs in old 16mm film cans.

*Jessie Matthews-- That's great!

The only one I can think of is W.C. Fields. I used to have most of his movies and some of his shorts on VHS that I haven't replaced.

I also used to have some Marx Brothers on tapes, too, mostly because of Groucho.

Although I have favorite actors, I collect movies that I like, and then I go for directors: Woody, Fosse, Fellini, Bergman, Hitchcock, Altman. It's not easy to find some European movies on DVDs region 1, so my collection of Saura and De La Iglesia are incomplete.

• Like 1

Bogart, Cooper, Gable and Tracy are the four pillars of my video collection, going back to the 1980's. I only wish more of Cooper's films from the late silent and early talkie period were available.

• Like 1

I've always been a Barbara Stanwyck fan, and I'm fortunate enough to have most of her movies on DVD.   She made one silent movie, but I understand that it has been lost.  And there are a couple of her films that are very rarely shown.

57 minutes ago, Terrence1 said:

I've always been a Barbara Stanwyck fan, and I'm fortunate enough to have most of her movies on DVD.   She made one silent movie, but I understand that it has been lost.  And there are a couple of her films that are very rarely shown.

I was just looking up the ones she made with Frank Capra. 

It's been ages since TCM has shown LADIES OF LEISURE (1930) or FORBIDDEN (1932).

She is quite good in both of those movies, TB.  Capra loved working with her  and she always felt that "Ladies of Leisure" was her first opportunity to prove that she really could act.