Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
David Guercio

John Candy

You know.  I’ve actually been thinking for a while.  When Gene Hackman was SOTM a few September’s ago?  It was his very first time ever as SOTM right?  Well.  Another really wonderful actor.  Also a really great and really funny guy.  Who actually left us and passed away to early.  Was John Candy.  So how about having John Candy as SOTM sometime?  He’s got some really great and really funny movies too.

The Great Outdoors.  Which co-star’s Dan Aakroyed and Annette Benning.

Splash.  Which star’s Tom Hanks.  Daryel Hannah and co-star’s John Candy.

Summer Rentel.

Mel Brooks’s Spaceballs.

Who’s Harry Crumb.

Uncle Buck.

Planes Trains And Automobiles.  Which co-star’s Steve Martin.

Disney’s Cool Runnings.

Rookie Of The Year.

Hostage For A Day.  Which co-star’s George Wednt.

Armed And Dangerousness.

Delirous.

and many many more.

One of my very favorites is The Great Outdoors.  It’s so funny and there’s a story behind it.

Did you know the bear in the movie was actually a really famous bear who was in the movies?

His name was Bart.  They called him Bart The Bear and you could also find Cool Runnings.  Splash and Rookie Of The Year on Disney+.

John Candy doesn't fit TCM's branding.      There are about 500 other actors I would recommend for SOTM over him.

I don't think he has the film legacy for even one day of Summer Under the Stars.      (especially when one considers all the other actors who made films from 30s - 70s,  that have let to have any tribute by TCM).

But TCM has shown movies from the 80s.  Early 90s.  Even the early 2000s.  But a very few movies from the early 2000s anyway right?

33 minutes ago, David Guercio said:

But TCM has shown movies from the 80s.  Early 90s.  Even the early 2000s.  But a very few movies from the early 2000s anyway right?

I"m for TCM showing movies  from the 80s,  90s and 2000s.       I just want the vast majority of films TCM shows to be from the so called studio-era (1929 - 1968 or so).

As for TCM's branding and SOTM:    I don't recall TCM ever featuring an actor as SOTM that wasn't in a few studio-era films.

E.g.   Gene Hackman:    Of course TCM showed many films that were made after 1968 but since Hackman was in a few studio-era films (Bonnie and Clyde being that major one and a film some says was a film that ended-an-era),    TCM showed those as well.    Thus to me Hackman still fit TCM's branding for SOTM.

Candy doesn't fit that.

5 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I"m for TCM showing movies  from the 80s,  90s and 2000s.       I just want the vast majority of films TCM shows to be from the so called studio-era (1929 - 1968 or so).

As for TCM's branding and SOTM:    I don't recall TCM ever featuring an actor as SOTM that wasn't in a few studio-era films.

E.g.   Gene Hackman:    Of course TCM showed many films that were made after 1968 but since Hackman was in a few studio-era films (Bonnie and Clyde being that major one and a film some says was a film that ended-an-era),    TCM showed those as well.    Thus to me Hackman still fit TCM's branding for SOTM.

Candy doesn't fit that.

John Candy definitely doesn't fit their brand. If Candy was still alive, he'd probably be invited to be a guest programmer and he would select movies from the studio era featuring comedians who inspired him. That's typically how TCM connects the "old" with the "new."

And in such a case, they'd end the night by showing one of Candy's hit comedy films, to indicate how the baton has been passed from comedy stars of yesteryear to a more recent comedy star like John Candy.

• Like 1

The one link that could be made from Candy to TCM is Only the Lonely.... its technically a variation on Marty, you have Maureen O'Hara (excellent) as his mother in her final film, and Anthony Quinn on hand as well. Plus music by Maurice Jarre. Now if that turned up on TCM some day, that would be nice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

The one link that could be made from Candy to TCM is Only the Lonely.... its technically a variation on Marty, you have Maureen O'Hara (excellent) as his mother in her final film, and Anthony Quinn on hand as well. Plus music by Maurice Jarre. Now if that turned up on TCM some day, that would be nice.

That's probably the film TCM would have been shown if Candy had been a guest programmer. For the reasons you suggest above.

Of course they could always show ONLY THE LONELY as part of a double feature one evening with MARTY.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh ok.  I would understand if they didn’t have John Candy as SOTM.  He was a really great and really funny guy though.  Wasn’t and all his movies.  Including the ones I mentioned are all great.  Aren’t they?  But maybe if they actually decide to show every movie they were going to show at this year’s Festival?  Like we’re all hoping right?  Maybe Mel Brooks’s movie Spaceballs will be included.  Since Mel Brooks was going to introduce it there this year and there’s actually still a sequel in the works.  Which I’m really looking forward to.  Mel Brooks is just waiting on Rick Moranis.  Who recently has returned.

Now Rick Moranis is someone who'd make a great guest programmer. 

Okay, where do you want to START with the original post?
I'll just throw a dart at random, and hit "Most of his movies were for Universal"...What did everyone else pick?

Yes he would TopBilled.  He’s another really wonderful actor and comedian and really great and really funny guy.  Isn’t he?  Remember him from Disney’s Honey trilogy?  Little Giants with Ed O Neal?  Mel Brooks’s Spaceballs?  Ghostbusters 1&2?  Big Bully with Tom Arnold?  The Flintstones?  Disney’s Brother Bear 1&2.  Which I think were the last movies he did before he left for a while.  On TV.  He did Sci with John Candy and all kinds of people and his appearances on Sesame Street and of course he reprised his role as Wayne in Honey I Shrunk The Audience at both Disney theme parks.  Parenthood with Steve Martin and all kinds of people and they both did My Blue Heaven together.  Anything I’m forgetting?  What do you think he’ll do now that he’s back?  I hear he might actually come back and reprise his role as Wayne again for the new Honey I Shrunk The Kids reboot for Disney+ and Josh Gag will actually be the new Nick all grown up.  Cool.  Should either you or I request Rick Moranis on the Guest Programmer board?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, David Guercio said:

Yes he would TopBilled.  He’s another really wonderful actor and comedian and really great and really funny guy.  Isn’t he?  Remember him from Disney’s Honey trilogy?  Little Giants with Ed O Neal?  Mel Brooks’s Spaceballs?  Ghostbusters 1&2?  Big Bully with Tom Arnold?  The Flintstones?  Disney’s Brother Bear 1&2.  Which I think were the last movies he did before he left for a while.  On TV.  He did Sci with John Candy and all kinds of people and his appearances on Sesame Street and of course he reprised his role as Wayne in Honey I Shrunk The Audience at both Disney theme parks.  Parenthood with Steve Martin and all kinds of people and they both did My Blue Heaven together.  Anything I’m forgetting?  What do you think he’ll do now that he’s back?  I hear he might actually come back and reprise his role as Wayne again for the new Honey I Shrunk The Kids reboot for Disney+ and Josh Gag will actually be the new Nick all grown up.  Cool.  Should either you or I request Rick Moranis on the Guest Programmer board?

I very much enjoy the HONEY movies with Rick Moranis. They're great fun.

Yeah, go ahead and make a thread to suggest him in the Guest Programmer sub-forum. Why not!

54 minutes ago, David Guercio said:

Ok TopBilled.  I did it.  I hope you and everybody like what a wrote.

I've seen it and replied. Nice job.