Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
slaytonf

And Introducing. . . .

Watching Jamaica Inn (1939) this morning, I was surprised to see Maureen O'Hara not at the head of the credits, but in that strange specialized place at the end we sometimes see cast as "And Introducing. . . ."  It's unusual to see a real star come out of that place, as its inhabitants mostly don't even make brilliant debut from which they can fade to nothingness.  That credit has always seemed to me evidence of an attempt by a producer, or somebody to manufacture a movie star.  Almost universally a futile exercise, embarrassing to watch.  I wonder if any other big stars have come from that peculiar credit.

The first notable example of this to cross my mind here slayton, would be a particular British actor of Irish descent who was "introduced" within the opening credits of a film of some repute. And in fact, said actor was pretty much in every scene within the film and not in just a supporting role. He'd go on to have quite a long and illustrious career.

I'll give ya a little hint here. The movie he was "introduced" in was about an individual who'd become very famous for organizing and leading an Arab revolt against the Turks during the First World War.

(...yep, you guessed it...the great Peter O'Toole)

• Like 2

Every once in a while the credit ...And Introducing - is something of a misnomer. The actor in question has already been in films but the powers want to make it seem like they've discovered a new talent.

Case in point... Peter O'Toole - who had already been in several films.

Can you name others?

• Like 1

Does Audrey Hepburn get an "And Introducing" credit in Roman Holiday? The story has been told on TCM a thousand times that Gregory Peck insisted on her being billed above the title because "we'd look like fools if we didn't". But I have a vague recollection that the billing reads "Paramount Pictures Presents Gregory Peck and Introducing Audrey Hepburn in ...", but maybe someone who actually knows can confirm or deny?

2 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Does Audrey Hepburn get an "And Introducing" credit in Roman Holiday? The story has been told on TCM a thousand times that Gregory Peck insisted on her being billed above the title because "we'd look like fools if we didn't". But I have a vague recollection that the billing reads "Paramount Pictures Presents Gregory Peck and Introducing Audrey Hepburn in ...", but maybe someone who actually knows can confirm or deny?

You're correct. I just checked it on Dailymotion and it says "presenting Gregory Peck and introducing Audrey Hepburn." 

• Thanks 1

The worst one was "Introducing James Best" from the 1966 Jerry Lewis comedy "Three on a Match," which also featured Janet Leigh, Mary Ann Mobley, Gina Golan and Leslie Parrish.  Best, who wasn't a huge star although he later played Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane in TV's popular "Dukes of Hazzard" series, had been appearing in feature films since 1950. 

Image result for james best and jerry lewis

Sue Lyon in Lolita (1962)

Brandon De Wilde in Shane (1953)

Image result for movie credits and introducing

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Although he had appeared in a few tv shows, in Splendor In The Grass Warren Beatty was listed as INTRODUCING Warren Beatty

• Like 2

In 1936, the opening credits for THREE SMART GIRLS billed Deanna Durbin as "and introducing Universal's new star discovery Deanna Durbin" (I may be paraphrasing that a little, but it is nearly impossible to find any Durbin clips on YouTube anymore.)

Joan Fontaine in "The Man Who Found Himself."

images.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Although he had appeared in a few tv shows, in Splendor In The Grass Warren Beatty was listed as INTRODUCING Warren Beatty

And that was probably true, as when they "introduce" someone in a movie, it usually means, despite their being well known to the public from television, they're a NEW FACE to the motion picture industry.   Jeezzzzzz......

I thought you movie "brainiacs" would have realized that right off!  ;)  

And, as you recall,  this group wasn't formally introduced until after the END  of the movie...  ;)  ......

Sepiatone

4 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

And that was probably true, as when they "introduce" someone in a movie, it usually means, despite their being well known to the public from television, they're a NEW FACE to the motion picture industry.   Jeezzzzzz......

I thought you movie "brainiacs" would have realized that right off!  ;)  

And, as you recall,  this group wasn't formally introduced until after the END  of the movie...  ;)  ......

Sepiatone

Sepia, your comment was  totally uncalled for. RELAX! I just added that as an aside about his appearing in a few  tv shows. Cool it with the unnecessary nasty remarks. Jeezzzz, yourself!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Nothing nasty was intended.  So, WHOM needs to "relax"?   And as an addendum .....

Try as I might, I can't recall any actors/actresses who were credited as "Introducing" whose careers never went beyond that movie that "introduced" them.  I know I've seen some, like when watching th movie and in the opening credits there reads:  "Introducing":  followed by a name I've never heard of.  Or had been heard of by anyone else in the room at the time.

Seen any of those?

Sepiatone

1 hour ago, lydecker said:

Joan Fontaine in "The Man Who Found Himself."

images.jpeg

Honestly, if Fontaine’s name wasn’t listed there, I don’t know that I would have recognized her. In her 40s-50s films she bears more of a resemblance to sister Olivia, but not in this photo. 

• Thanks 1

Was the “Introducing” credit the studio’s attempt at making a star from their new personality or was it some type of credit tied into a significant raise of some sort? 

Not every new star gets an introducing credit either. I don’t recall “Introducing Errol Flynn” for “Captain Blood.” I’m curious how that credit comes about. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Was the “Introducing” credit the studio’s attempt at making a star from their new personality or was it some type of credit tied into a significant raise of some sort? 

Not every new star gets an introducing credit either. I don’t recall “Introducing Errol Flynn” for “Captain Blood.” I’m curious how that credit comes about. 

Generally the "introducing" credit was used by either a studio or producer that just signed some fresh talent.    Some times it was used to introduce a foreign star;  I believe Ingrid Bergman got some type of "special' credit in Intermezzo,  her first film for a US producer, Selznick International Pictures.

I don't know if the original assumption associated with this thread is historically accurate: "It's unusual to see a real star come out of that place, as its inhabitants mostly don't even make brilliant debut from which they can fade to nothingness."

It would take a lot of research to determine that,  but it would be interesting to find out.

30 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Nothing nasty was intended.  So, WHOM needs to "relax"?   And as an addendum .....

Try as I might, I can't recall any actors/actresses who were credited as "Introducing" whose careers never went beyond that movie that "introduced" them.  I know I've seen some, like when watching th movie and in the opening credits there reads:  "Introducing":  followed by a name I've never heard of.  Or had been heard of by anyone else in the room at the time.

Seen any of those?

Sepiatone

Looks like you need to make your "winks" larger buddy!     ;)  

As for your point here:  I had the same feeling and note that so far the examples have all been of actors that became big stars.       My gut is that it is about 50 \ 50;   yea, half end up being big stars and the other half,,,,, supporting actors in film or T.V. actors  (not that there anything wrong with that as Jerry would say!).

So, I'm guessing you HAVEN'T seen examples of actors and actresses credited as "Introducing"  followed by a name you're not familiar with?  Like someone who hasn't been heard of since that movie?    And too....

Is anyone aware that JAMES BEST was a cousin of THE EVERLY BROTHERS  ?   

Sepiatone

Michael Caine was credited as Introducing Michael Caine in the film ZULU As an aside LOL, he has a combined tv and film credit listing of 46 productions he was in before ZULU. His first credit was in 1946 and ZULU was released 1964.

( so he wasn't a NEW face to films)

edited by me :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sepiatone said:

So, I'm guessing you HAVEN'T seen examples of actors and actresses credited as "Introducing"  followed by a name you're not familiar with?  Like someone who hasn't been heard of since that movie?    And too....

Is anyone aware that JAMES BEST was a cousin of THE EVERLY BROTHERS  ?   

Sepiatone

Yea,  I can't recall any but that doesn't mean they don't exist.    Of course most of us would tend to forget those that-didn't-make-it-big for that very reason;  they didn't really make it and are forgetable.

As for James Best;  No I did NOT know that.    Interesting.    I did like seeing him on The Andy Griffith Show where he played a guitar player that while he was getting good gigs was upset with the business side of the music industry.      Best played a real nice semi holly body in the episode and played it well.    Always wondered if he had actual musical roots.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone if you are saying that the Introducing credit wasn't until the end of the movie, you are incorrect as far as 2 examples I gave. Warren Beatty for Splendor In The Grass was in the beginning of the credits and so was Shirley MacLaine's credit for The Trouble with Harry., ( if that's what you meant) ?

I can't recall if Aldo Ray gets an "introducing" credit in The Marrying Kind, but there is a bizarre end credit that says something like, "We hope you have enjoyed our new personality Aldo Ray."

Two of the children in Whistle Down the Wind get "and introducing" credits. Not Hayley Mills, who was already a child star, and not little Alan Barnes, the non-professional who plays her younger brother and gives one of the best child performances ever. I'm guessing the parents of the two children who got the "and introducing" credits had hopes that their children would go on to have professional careers like Hayley Mills.

• Like 1

00MT9hLUxiuLIsw5okM3klZRFJ38Thn4V2KkJ434

Jennifer Jones had appeared in three previous films under the name Phyllis Isley before becoming Jennifer Jones in The Song of Bernadette (1943).