Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

And Introducing. . . .

Not sure what Kahn's background was, but maybe in the 70s they used the 'introducing' credit when bringing established New York stage performers to Hollywood. Since they were being introduced to movie audiences who might not have seen any Broadway productions.

Just a thought.

9 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Not sure what Kahn's background was, but maybe in the 70s they used the 'introducing' credit when bringing established New York stage performers to Hollywood. Since they were being introduced to movie audiences who might not have seen any Broadway productions.

Just a thought.

It is a sound thought and one I wondered about as well;    Similar to foreign actors being "introduced" to American audiences,    we have established NY stage performers being "introduced" to American audiences beyond the narrow NY Broadway viewing audience.   

It could have played out like this:  Bogdanovich saw Kahn on stage and was impressed.    Decides he wants her for the part and agrees as part of signing her for the film that he would give her a special credit if she took the role.      

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

It is a sound thought and one I wondered about as well;    Similar to foreign actors being "introduced" to American audiences,    we have established NY stage performers being "introduced" to American audiences beyond the narrow NY Broadway viewing audience.   

It could have played out like this:  Bogdanovich saw Kahn on stage and was impressed.    Decides he wants her for the part and agrees as part of signing her for the film that he would give her a special credit if she took the role.      

Yeah, that makes sense to me. Also it helps distinguish the newcomer from the veteran cast, giving him/her some extra special attention.

Plus I think part of it is marketing...like if we draw attention to this "new" talent then other directors, producers and studios might ask to borrow this person and if we have this person under contract, we can make good money loaning them out when we don't need them.

30 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Yeah, that makes sense to me. Also it helps distinguish the newcomer from the veteran cast, giving him/her some extra special attention.

Plus I think part of it is marketing...like if we draw attention to this "new" talent then other directors, producers and studios might ask to borrow this person and if we have this person under contract, we can make good money loaning them out when we don't need them.

You are rigth Peter Bogdonavich saw Madeline Kahn on Broadway and told her she be perfect for the part o f Eunice Burns in What's Up, Doc?  She knew it was a Barbra Streisand movie and he promised her none of her scenes would be cut and so II guess he gave her special billing.  She was very unhappy after seeing the film at the premier.  She loved the film but was mad that she appeared  to look almost unattractive.  All in all she stole the film.  Kust surprised she didn't get an Oscar nomination for this classic comedy.  Ironically this was not the first film I saw her in.  I  saw her in.  I saw Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein and Paper Moon first.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I just re-watched MASH (1970). There were a lot of "Introducing" credits at the beginning including:

• Jo Ann Pflug
  • Gary Burghoff
  • Fred Williamson
  • Kim Atwood
  • Tim Brown
  • John Schuck
  • Dawne Damon
  • Carl Gottlieb
  • Tamara Horrocks
  • G Wood
  • Bud Cort
  • Danny Goldman
  • Corey Fischer
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, slaytonf said:

Always people we know about, if not big stars.  How about introducings of people who vanished murmurless?

And introducing ... SLAYTONF!

No! No! Just kidding! It was a joke! Sorry, being cooped up is making me loopy.