Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TomJH

Have Your Pets Responded To Movies?

Last night I watched The Amityville Horror (1979) while my shih tzu, Sammy, slept in his bed in a corner of the room. He was quiet throughout the film, not watching it at all but hearing it.

As the film reached its climax with a ramped up soundtrack, full of creepy music, explosions, thunderstorms and screams, much to my surprise Sammy left his bed and rushed to my side, clearly making stressed out sounds. I stopped the film and he rushed off into another room and I found him hiding under the ironing board. Clearly the sound effects (and music, I suppose) had gotten to him, and I spent about ten minutes talking soothingly to him and reassuring him that everything was okay.

After he calmed down I resumed watching the film which only had about nine minutes to go and Sammy seemed to be okay. I might point out that he is a quite sensitive dog who responds to loud noises.

I found The Amityville Horror to be an okay, if rather predictable, horror chiller but it sure scared the heck out of my dog (or, at least, its soundtrack did).

This made me wonder if other posters have had pets that have also responded, whether positively or negatively, to a film as it played on the television.

Amityville_1_Steiger.jpg

Sammy got freaked out almost as much as Rod Steiger in this film

A friend had a dog once that loved westerns. Any time the cowboys would be riding horses, this dog would sit in front of the tv and jump up and down on his front paws barking. I'd never seen anything like it and would laugh my **** off. It was so funny.  And it was only westerns!

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

A friend had a dog once that loved westerns. Any time the cowboys would be riding horses, this dog would sit in front of the tv and jump up and down on his front paws barking. I'd never seen anything like it and would laugh my **** off. It was so funny.  And it was only westerns!

Maybe your friend's pooch was conditioned by Rin Tin Tin films as a pup.

260px-James_Brown_fan_postcard_1955.jpg

LOL! I think it was just the motion of the horses, but it was strange that it was only westerns and nothing else.

Last night, while watching “Some Like it Hot,” my parrot was sitting on the top of the door to his cage calmly preening his feathers. Then, when Spats & co. are shot up, my parrot flew away, at breakneck speed, and perched himself up in a different room, up in the light. The way he was flying, you’d think he was the one being shot. 

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Last night, while watching “Some Like it Hot,” my parrot was sitting on the top of the door to his cage calmly preening his feathers. Then, when Spats & co. are shot up, my parrot flew away, at breakneck speed, and perched himself up in a different room, up in the light. The way he was flying, you’d think he was the one being shot. 

Can you blame him? With all those bullets flying he figured it was time for him to do the same thing.

• Haha 2

My cat will sit up and take notice if there's a cat meowing on screen.  I find this really funny, although it makes sense to my cat.  Once, to torture her, I played a couple of those cat videos on youtube, I think  "cat makes loud meow sounds", something like that.  My cat  really reacted,  circling all around to find out where it was coming from, fluffing up her tail and nosing the laptop.  It seemed to agitate her so much that I turned them off  (the cat videos.)     (Of course I don't really "torture" my cat  ! )

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

My parrot loves musicals—especially colorful ones like “Singin’ in the Rain.”  He’ll sit on the arm of the couch, watching the screen and bobbing up and down. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well, TOM---

I had two Shih TZUs (not sure what yours is.  ;) )  Who would only react whenever a doorbell rang in a movie.  Would "lickety-split" run to the front door barking like crazy.  :D  Of course, the older one, when lying at the open front door in spring and summer would bark like mad at someone crossing the street way down at the end of the block!  

The only other not live sound they'd respond to is their negative response( barking, whining and hiding) to the opening strains to The Beatles' "Tomorrow Never Knows"  :wacko:

Sepiatone

30 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

My parrot loves musicals—especially colorful ones like “Singin’ in the Rain.”  He’ll sit on the arm of the couch, watching the screen and bobbing up and down. 

Well any time a movie has any whistling my parrots go nuts trying to sing along.       The one cockatiel will react to music but only in certain keys.    

I found this out by playing guitar in front of him;    It took me a while to clue into the fact that when I played a song in C he reacted to that pitch.   Same song in another key,   little to no reaction!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

He was one of those chow dogs. Big, orange and fluffy. His name was Jamie, but I called him Puffball. 

37 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Well any time a movie has any whistling my parrots go nuts trying to sing along.       The one cockatiel will react to music but only in certain keys.    

I found this out by playing guitar in front of him;    It took me a while to clue into the fact that when I played a song in C he reacted to that pitch.   Same song in another key,   little to no reaction!

My parrot head bangs to metal music sometimes. He doesn't try to sing or anything like that.  Occasionally he'll just start saying his name a lot or start screaming. But I honestly think he does that randomly and not in response to anything in particular. 

I recall a dog I had watching The Great Train Robbery on TCM. It's a black and white film, of course, but there were some tinted small sections on the print whenever there was gun fire or an explosion. I have read that dogs are colour blind but, I swear, every time a small tinted area appeared reflecting gunfire (just a small section of the screen) my dog would c o c k his head to the side. He clearly saw the difference whenever a tinted section appeared.

greattrainrobbery.jpg

When my (late) cat, Ralphie Alfalfie was a kitten, he was a holy terror.  Nothing stopped him, not noise, water pistols, threats.  One night I was watching an old movie, and a prisoner started to play the harmonica, and Ralphie bolted from the room.  Aha....Ralphie hated harmonicas!  I bought a harmonica, played it every time he scratched anything, and soon I didn't even have to play it, just pull it out and wave it around...and he would stop.   He grew into a big fluffy spoiled angel kitty who would only occasionally try to 'catch' the crawl line on CNN.

• Like 4

I once had a cat who just loved anything made by MGM.

(...although he seemed to lose interest 'em just as the opening credits appeared)

;)

• Haha 2

One of my favorite Terriers wouldn't go to bed until he watched Jay Leno's stand up opening on The Tonight Show.

He seemed to know exactly when it was over because that's when he left the room.

I don't recall any instance over the years where one of my cockatiels ever reacted to a movie I was watching.  They're in the same room as where I watch Tv, but they could care less.  SWEET PEA just wants to do his own thing no matter what I'm watching.  

Just now, Mr. Gorman said:

I don't recall any instance over the years where one of my cockatiels ever reacted to a movie I was watching.  They're in the same room as where I watch Tv, but they could care less.  SWEET PEA just wants to do his own thing no matter what I'm watching.  

Watch The Andy Griffith Show.    If your cockatiels don't respond to the whistle song at the start they must be deaf.   (or females?).

My male goes nuts, does his matting dance,  and whistles along to the song (the female never reacts).    Now I had  to teach the male the song:    I recorded it off the T.V. and played it on a loop day after day until he got it down.     I also play the song on guitar.      I start to play the first few notes and he join in.

But like I said he responds to all whistling (e.g. on some commercials).  

• Haha 1

My cat sits on the couch footrest and stares at the movies-- he was watching SPARTACUS with me the other day :)

5 hours ago, hamradio said:

best-class-ever

This reminds me of that little delayed joke moment in 1988's Scrooged, when Robert Mitchum suggests adding things to programs that would draw the eyes of pets to TV screens, and late in the film it shows Mitchum's cats perched right next to the screen when there is a closeup of some mice.

My turtle loves Cannibal Holocaust.

• Haha 1

There are 8 hour looped streaming channels for pets: cameras set close on bird feeders including squirrel action- my cat loved it, dog wasn't interested. My previous Golden Retriever loved watching TV and would sit rapt in attention whenever Fred Astaire danced. She liked Gene Kelly & others dancing, but couldn't take her eyes off Astaire for some reason. I have video of her watching TOP HAT.

Animal Planet's Super Bowl, the "Puppy Bowl" was another show the retriever loved-she wanted to play with the puppies!

The current Golden enjoys my 5.1 surround sound and often looks around when a dog's barking in the distance in a movie, most often a horror movie. She sometimes reacts to movie cat meows & doorbells too, running to the door & barking.

54 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

My previous Golden Retriever loved watching TV and would sit rapt in attention whenever Fred Astaire danced. She liked Gene Kelly & others dancing, but couldn't take her eyes off Astaire for some reason.

Well, the man was skinny as a bone.

• Haha 2

On 3/26/2020 at 1:07 PM, TomJH said:

I recall a dog I had watching The Great Train Robbery on TCM. It's a black and white film, of course, but there were some tinted small sections on the print whenever there was gun fire or an explosion. I have read that dogs are colour blind but, I swear, every time a small tinted area appeared reflecting gunfire (just a small section of the screen) my dog would c o c k his head to the side. He clearly saw the difference whenever a tinted section appeared.

greattrainrobbery.jpg

I don't know if I believe that animals are color blind.