Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
slaytonf

Fox Movie Channel venn diagram.

For a long time, the Fox Movie Channel (FXM) was not in my DirectTV package.  By accident, a few week ago I discovered that it's been added.  It won't revolutionize my TV experience, but there are movies I look forward to seeing.  The channel is divided in two parts.  From noon to midnight newer movies are aired, mostly post-2000.  From midnight to noon is what is called FXMRetro, when studio-era Fox movies are aired.  It has a lot of overlap with TCM, with movies like Dragonwyck (1946), and People Will Talk (1951).  But a lot of movies are unique.  On the retro side, coming up is:

The Big Gamble (1961)

Peeper (1975)

Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Five Gates to Hell (1959)

The Wayward Bus (1947)

The Fury (1978)

Kagemusha (1980)

I don't vouch for any of these, except the last.  I started watching Peeper, a noir-detective spoof á la Raymond Chandler, with Natalie Wood and Michael Caine.  But I didn't care for it.  However, it does have Natalie Wood.  Kagemusha is a surprise, but Akira Kurosawa produced it in association with Fox.

Some of the new movies of interest, to me at least, are:

Straight Outta Compton (2015)

The Revenant (2015)

Master and Commander:  The Far Side of the World (2003)

The Shape of Water (2017)

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I don't get the channel anymore, but when I did I recall being frustrated with the channel's repetition. It seems like it only has access to a small fraction of the studio's catalog so after a while I didn't bother much with it since I had pretty much seen everything it had to offer in its rotation. Perhaps things have changed since then. 

• Like 1

Before Fox Movie Channel divided into two, it showed classics 24 hours a day. Back before - I think it was January 2012 - you could see all kind of weird and wonderful films from 30s Fox onward. After they divided in two parts , the "classic" section only plays from 3AM to 3PM. But what the channel considers "classic" is bewildering. Sure, they will show "The Razor's Edge" occasionally. However, for the most part, they neglect anything before 1958 and instead show films that are exhibits on the mediocrities that Fox produced in the late 50s through the early 60s that almost put them in bankruptcy.  Tons of them are barely over an hour and appear to be made for TV productions that are 5/10 stars at best in many cases.

• Like 1

I'm glad there still is a Fox Movie Channel. I've never actually had it as part of my cable package, so I've never seen it. I recall the guy who won Best Sound Editing for Ford v Ferrari thanking some Fox people before glumly stating this would probably be the last Fox movie ever. I do recall seeing ads for the new Call of the Wild that were still running with the Fox logo at the beginning even after Disney announced they were eliminating the Fox branding, and I wondered if the film would just carry a "20th Century" logo when released. Well, I didn't know that every movie theater was going to close, so I never saw Call of the Wild. I'm not even entirely sure it was theatrically released. So, I still don't know the answer to that question.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I'm glad there still is a Fox Movie Channel. I've never actually had it as part of my cable package, so I've never seen it. I recall the guy who won Best Sound Editing for Ford v Ferrari thanking some Fox people before glumly stating this would probably be the last Fox movie ever. I do recall seeing ads for the new Call of the Wild that were still running with the Fox logo at the beginning even after Disney announced they were eliminating the Fox branding, and I wondered if the film would just carry a "20th Century" logo when released. Well, I didn't know that every movie theater was going to close, so I never saw Call of the Wild. I'm not even entirely sure it was theatrically released. So, I still don't know the answer to that question.

The last film to go out with the Fox name on it was the horror film Underwater starring Kristen Stewart in January. It grossed $17 million.

• Thanks 1

It's been part of the cable package here for the last three years. They repeat clasics a lot, but there have been many Fox films that I've been able to see for the first time because of it. Plus occasionally they drop in a new title to savor. A Clifton Webb comedy is coming up in about two weeks that hasn't been on in the last three years.

• Like 1

Don't really watch the modern side, though that's how I saw The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Across the Universe. For a while they were running the lovely 2013 film About Time, but not anymore.

3 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

It's been part of the cable package here for the last three years. They repeat clasics a lot, but there have been many Fox films that I've been able to see for the first time because of it. Plus occasionally they drop in a new title to savor. A Clifton Webb comedy is coming up in about two weeks that hasn't been on in the last three years.

Which one is it...ELOPEMENT?

3 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

y71MUjF.png

(Perhaps too much overlap.)

That got me thinking (since this thread does indeed have the term "venn diagram" in its title)...  :lol:

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/venn-diagram-studios.jpg

Just building upon your concept.  This is far from bulletproof but I tried to keep it simple.  The "like" portions are entirely subjective to me of course. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Mr Scoutmaster. I'm planning on seeing it.

Charming film. Clifton Webb's costar is Edmund Gwenn, with whom he had previously worked in FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE (1950) another Fox comedy.

After Webb's villainous turns in LAURA (1944) and THE DARK CORNER (1946) the studio reinvented him as a family friendly comedy lead. This was possible after the huge success of SITTING PRETTY (1948) where he played Mr. Belvedere.

• Thanks 1

I think MR. SCOUTMASTER has aired before on TCM.

1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

A Clifton Webb comedy is coming up in about two weeks that hasn't been on in the last three years.

I wonder if we could get MovieCollectorOH to put out a FMC database as well? Since I'm certainly too lazy. And then we could all wonder why they haven't shown this or that in 10 years like with TCM apparently no longer showing Angels with Dirty Faces.

5 hours ago, Artemus said:

I don't get the channel anymore, but when I did I recall being frustrated with the channel's repetition. It seems like it only has access to a small fraction of the studio's catalog so after a while I didn't bother much with it since I had pretty much seen everything it had to offer in its rotation. Perhaps things have changed since then. 

They have.  I remember some years ago the mind-numbing repetition of a handful of titles (when I had a different TV supplier and I got the channel).  But there is now a greater variety of movies being shown.  Although still plenty of repetition to satisfy anybody's tastes.

5 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

Before Fox Movie Channel divided into two, it showed classics 24 hours a day. Back before - I think it was January 2012 - you could see all kind of weird and wonderful films from 30s Fox onward. After they divided in two parts , the "classic" section only plays from 3AM to 3PM. But what the channel considers "classic" is bewildering. Sure, they will show "The Razor's Edge" occasionally. However, for the most part, they neglect anything before 1958 and instead show films that are exhibits on the mediocrities that Fox produced in the late 50s through the early 60s that almost put them in bankruptcy.  Tons of them are barely over an hour and appear to be made for TV productions that are 5/10 stars at best in many cases.

It's not so bad as that.  There's, for example:  Dragonwyck (1946),  I Wake Up Screaming (1941), Les Miserables (1935), The Snake Pit (1948), Backlash (1947), The Man Who Never Was (1956), The Man Who Wouldn't Die (1942), The Model and the Marriage Broker (1951), Stand Up and Cheer! (1934), and others.

4 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

y71MUjF.png

(Perhaps too much overlap.)

I was talking about the overlap between TCM and FXM.  It's a lot bigger than you would think.  Or a lot bigger than I thought, once I started looking through the titles.

12 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I wonder if we could get MovieCollectorOH to put out a FMC database as well? Since I'm certainly too lazy. And then we could all wonder why they haven't shown this or that in 10 years like with TCM apparently no longer showing Angels with Dirty Faces.

It would be a project in itself just getting that data from FMC.  I don't see that being practical, or even a rational thing to do, as data is probably not available and they haven't been that consistent in their format over the years.

If you are thinking about not keeping track of the FMC history, but just tracking it from week to week against my big TCM list, for notable exceptions, then that is much more practical.  That could even be done by hand.

• Like 1

I will say that, once upon a time, I was able to see Street Angel (1928), Up the River (1930), and Call Her Savage (1932) on the Fox Movie Channel. That was too good to have lasted.

One thing I noticed about FX Retro is the subpar prints and audio on some of the films. DRAGONWYCK  aired the other day and the audio sounded like there was a rain storm occurring  during some scenes.

12 hours ago, slaytonf said:

I was talking about the overlap between TCM and FXM.  It's a lot bigger than you would think.  Or a lot bigger than I thought, once I started looking through the titles.

I revised mine a bit and toed the right circle in some.  This is probably getting it a little closer.  These are just crudely arranged by hand (i.e. they are not drawn to scale).  I could do it in Matlab or Octave, using my own statistics, but that would take more time you see.  😁

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/venn-diagram-studios-1.jpg

You probably have time to do it these days.  I'm wondering if it could go to 3-d, with Venn spheres?  You'd need a hologram to display it.

18 hours ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

I will say that, once upon a time, I was able to see Street Angel (1928), Up the River (1930), and Call Her Savage (1932) on the Fox Movie Channel. That was too good to have lasted.

I remember seeing Call Her Savage on FMC ca. 1999/2000. Just Imagine, Sunrise and The Big Trail (the widescreen version) were also in frequent rotation then. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

I revised mine a bit and toed the right circle in some.  This is probably getting it a little closer.  These are just crudely arranged by hand (i.e. they are not drawn to scale).  I could do it in Matlab or Octave, using my own statistics, but that would take more time you see.  😁

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/venn-diagram-studios-1.jpg

Nice.  Maybe add a completely separate circle for titles that are extant, but so tightly held by studios/archives/collectors that they don't get airings ANYWHERE?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

Nice.  Maybe add a completely separate circle for titles that are extant, but so tightly held by studios/archives/collectors that they don't get airings ANYWHERE?

And movies not available in the US or for region 1 DVD.

On 3/28/2020 at 10:15 AM, slaytonf said:

Kagemusha (1980)

I don't vouch for any of these, except the last.  I started watching Peeper, a noir-detective spoof á la Raymond Chandler, with Natalie Wood and Michael Caine.  But I didn't care for it.  However, it does have Natalie Wood.  Kagemusha is a surprise, but Akira Kurosawa produced it in association with Fox.

Are you sure about Kagemusha? I checked and it doesn't seem to be scheduled any time recently. I hope I didn't accidentally miss it.