Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So What Really Was the Best Movie Year?

NYFCC for '39 split with Oscar a bit  Film: Wuthering Heights Actor: Stewart in Mr smith & actress: Vivien Leigh  New York didn't have a supporting honor yet

1939 is okay, but my favorite films are hardly within this year. If my personal favorite films are not in 1939, then I'd be hard pressed to consider it the greatest year.

Over the past few years, while participating on this board and in various threads, I've found that most of my favorite films fall in the 1940s-early 1960s.  I also have a lot of favorite 80s and 90s films.   However, I love 1941 and 1942.  There are so many great films during this era.  I also love 1947 and 1948--so much fantastic  noir.  I've also found that I love a lot of films from 1959--A Summer Place, Gidget, and Odds Against Tomorrow to name a few.

• Like 1
On 3/29/2020 at 4:26 PM, TopBilled said:

It sort of annoys me when people go on and on about 1939. Typically these same people fail to acknowledge the bombs of 1939 and they never once mention the decent 'B' films from 1939. It basically becomes an excuse to talk once again about Oz and Tara.

I actually think with increasing political correctness GONE WITH Tecially HE WIND will go the way of BIRTH OF A NATION and SONG OF THE SOUTH which will put a blemish on 1939.

Personally I feel there were equally good films in 1940 and 1941, including those famous efforts from Hitchcock, Welles and Ford.

Oh, and another thing that makes me smile is how the people who rave about 1939 always fail to see that almost all the films released in the first three months of '39 were technically made in '38. And this means that films made in the last three months of 1939 have a 1940 date on them. So this obsession with 1939 is a little too narrow and uninformed for my tastes, to be honest.

As far as decades go, I think the 1990s are great years because of all the independent films that were garnering recognition. It was a creative period for the industry, an industry still dependent on formulaic blockbusters but also willing to venture off the beaten path.

I love B movies from the 30's and 40's. Especially crime dramas and mysteries.  You mentioned decent "B" films from 1939. I wonder if you could name a few of them that you had in mind.

• Thanks 1