Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

June 2020 Schedule is Posted

While I'm a fan of Ann I doubt TCM will show any films I haven't already seen,  many times.

The films she made while under contract at Warners are played fairly often on TCM.     Her Paramount career prior to joining WB is light,  and her post WB career spotty.

But there are a few films she was in that I haven't seen;   1935's The Glass Key (she has one line),   Appointment in Honduras,  Steel Town and Take Me To Town. 

Don't know what film this photo is from (maybe none),   but she looks nice!

ACTRESS ANN SHERIDAN PIN UP - 8X10 PUBLICITY PHOTO (BT066) | eBay

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

While I'm a fan of Ann I doubt TCM will show any films I haven't already seen,  many times.

The films she made while under contract at Warners are played fairly often on TCM.     Here Paramount career prior to joining WB is light,  and her post WB career spotty.

But there are a few films she was in that I haven't seen;   1935's The Glass Key (she has one line),   Appointment in Honduras,  Steel Town and Take Me To Town. 

In June TCM will be showing 37 of Ann Sheridan's pictures...practically everything she did at Warners, including all her B films. 

None of her Paramount stuff is included. As for her post-Warners career, just WOMAN ON THE RUN (1950) for the noir crowd and I WAS A MALE WAR BRIDE (1949) for the Cary Grant fans. Plus THE OPPOSITE SEX (1956) which of course is an MGM flick.

Ann herself claimed her best film was COME NEXT SPRING (1956) which she did at Republic with Steve Cochran. Or at least it's the one she was most proud of doing. 

APPOINTMENT IN HONDURAS (1953) was something she made at RKO after she sued Howard Hughes for cancelling a contract she had signed with Dore Schary right before Hughes took over the studio. It was a two-picture deal. So Hughes had to pay her $150,000 for the first picture she didn't get to do, because Hughes had taken her off it. Then he was required by the court to put her in a subsequent production, which was this one. It's not very good. But I think she probably just did it for the money and to make sure Hughes didn't get away with anything. The first picture she had been removed from was MY FORBIDDEN PAST (1951) which was done with Ava Gardner instead. That would have been a great one for Ann.

APPOINTMENT IN HONDURAS is an action adventure yarn that was shot on the RKO backlot in Technicolor, so you get to see her red hair. It features Glenn Ford and Zachary Scott, with whom she had previously costarred in THE UNFAITHFUL (1947) back at Warners.  I don't think AIH is in the Turner library or else it would definitely have been included on the June schedule.

TAKE ME TO TOWN (1953) is something she did for Ross Hunter at Universal and it was filmed in Technicolor. It's a very good comedy western that pairs her with Sterling Hayden. You may find it currently on YouTube.

One of her least seen films is the black comedy she did at Fox called STELLA (1950). She has a lot of fun in this one and gets the chance to work with Victor Mature and David Wayne. It was originally intended for Susan Hayward, who really didn't feel comfortable with comedic roles. So they gave it to Ann instead.

STEEL TOWN (1952) was on YouTube not long ago and I watched it. It's in Technicolor, produced by Universal. She plays a working class waitress who falls for the nephew of the town's factory owner. It's a melodrama and she always did well in this genre.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
15 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

As for her post-Warners career, just WOMAN ON THE RUN (1950) for the noir crowd and I WAS A MALE WAR BRIDE (1949) for the Cary Grant fans. Plus THE OPPOSITE SEX (1956) which of course is an MGM flick.

Thanks for the overall info;   Yea,  these are the 3 post WB films TCM has always played  (with  Woman on the Run in their rotation since the UCLA restoration) .      

I'm sure I still be watching many of her WB films even if I have seen them 3 or more times (especially the ones she made with Cagney and \ or Bogie).

As for Stella:   I'm surprise I haven't seen this on MOVIES-TV yet since 20th Century Fox is their bread and butter and they show a lot of Mature.    Anyhow that was one that sounded really interesting.  

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Thanks for the overall info;   Yea,  these are the 3 post WB films TCM has always played  (with  Woman on the Run in their rotation since the UCLA restoration) .      

I'm sure I still be watching many of her WB films even if I have seen them 3 or more times (especially the ones she made with Cagney and \ or Bogie).

As for Stella:   I'm surprise I haven't seen this on MOVIES-TV yet since 20th Century Fox is their bread and butter and they show a lot of Mature.    Anyhow that was one that sounded really interesting.  

Copies of STELLA circulate on YouTube every so often. But not very good looking copies. Maybe Fox hasn't gotten around to restoring it, which seems odd. It has a good cast and it's very funny. 

Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 4.20.04 PM.png

As for her Warner Brothers output, I have to say that I love NORA PRENTISS. It's one of those crime pictures that I can watch over and over, mainly because she looks so glamorous in it plus she gets to sing and play a very dramatic role. She has chemistry with Kent Smith and with Robert Alda. It sort of shifts from melodrama into gangster drama then into horror at the end. I'm never bored when I watch NORA PRENTISS, and I think that is because director Vincent Sherman keeps it rolling along. He doesn't let Ann or her costars worry too much about the incredible plot contrivances. 

I also am a huge fan of EDGE OF DARKNESS (1943), which I consider her best film with Errol Flynn. It's a rather somber tale of life in a European village changing overnight when the Nazis come in and take over. The resistance scenes, especially towards the end, are played with unrelenting intensity. The excellent supporting players include Walter Huston, Ruth Gordon and Judith Anderson. I read that there were a lot of behind-the-scenes problems but you would never know it watching the film. It all comes across expertly, and Maltin gives it 3.5 stars.

Then there's the uproarious GEORGE WASHINGTON SLEPT HERE (1942). Ann is a perfect foil for Jack Benny, portraying a wise-cracking wife whose life is suddenly turned upside down when her city slicker hubby decides they're going to move to the country. It reminds me of MR. BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE which was made several years later. Both stars get to trade quips with Charles Coburn, Percy Kilbride and Hattie McDaniel.

So although Ann Sheridan's WB films air often on TCM, there are still a lot of good ones worth seeing again. And it's wonderful that TCM's programmers consider her motion picture legacy important enough to warrant this honor.

• Like 1

Missing Ann Sheridan movies are The Crusades,Car 99,  The Glass Key, Behold My Wife, Angels With Dirty faces, Letter of Introduction, Winter Carnival, Thank Your Lucky Stars, Good Sam, Stella, Just Across the Street, Steel Town,  Take Me to Town, Appointment in Honduras and Come Next Spring.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

One of her least seen films is the black comedy she did at Fox called STELLA (1950). She has a lot of fun in this one and gets the chance to work with Victor Mature and David Wayne. It was originally intended for Susan Hayward, who really didn't feel comfortable with comedic roles. So they gave it to Ann instead.

I haven't seen STELLA and I love VICTOR MATURE (who'da thunk it?) and I like DAVID WAYNE!  Yes, great information. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dommy said:

Missing Ann Sheridan movies are The Crusades,Car 99,  The Glass Key, Behold My Wife, Angels With Dirty faces, Letter of Introduction, Winter Carnival, Thank Your Lucky Stars, Good Sam, Stella, Just Across the Street, Steel Town,  Take Me to Town, Appointment in Honduras and Come Next Spring.

The ones in bold were leading roles for her.

Also not on the schedule in June is INDIANAPOLIS SPEEDWAY (1939) a WB picture in which she played a lead role.

CAR 99 was a B film at Paramount. WINTER CARNIVAL was a Walter Wanger production released thru United Artists. GOOD SAM was directed by Leo McCarey and released thru RKO. She was borrowed from Warners to make GOOD SAM.

After it wrapped, she was supposed to go back to Warners to make FLAMINGO ROAD. But she ended up parting company with Warners and FLAMINGO ROAD was given to Joan Crawford. Instead Ann signed with Dore Schary at RKO, but as I mentioned earlier that contract was torn up by Howard Hughes (though he had to make up for it later). So Ann ended up going to Fox to make two comedies, I WAS A MALE WAR BRIDE and STELLA. Then she signed a multi-picture deal with Universal before she went back to RKO to make the film Hughes owed her.

We did not yet mention JUST ACROSS THE STREET. It was a comedy she made with John Lund that was part of her multi-picture deal at Universal. She and Lund also worked together on STEEL TOWN.

COME NEXT SPRING, which I've indicated, was made at Republic Pictures. Supposedly her leading man Steve Cochran had creative differences with Republic boss Herbert Yates, and because of Cochran's attitude, Yates did not promote it as heavily as other Republic "A" pictures were promoted. It's a gem and she gives one of her very best performances in it, and so does Cochran.

3 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

I haven't seen STELLA and I love VICTOR MATURE (who'da thunk it?) and I like DAVID WAYNE!  Yes, great information. 

If you like MURDER HE SAYS (1945) a black comedy from Paramount starring Fred MacMurray, you will love STELLA. It's that kind of humor, where someone's been killed and the members of an eccentric family try to dispose of the body. David Wayne steals every scene he's in. And Victor Mature has a lot of chemistry with Ann. It's silly, good fun.

Typically I don't watch much TCM in the summer because baseball season is in full swing (pun intended), but who knows this year? Looks like the best-case scenario is circa May 15 to start the season, but it may be later than that. So, I'm scouring over the primetime lineups to see what piques my interest, just in case. I'm going to do this in more detail than I usually do, because I've got lots of time on my hands.

Week One:

June 1 - At least for this first night of a monthly theme, it doesn't appear the movies have to be ABOUT jazz, just have jazz in their scores and/or soundtracks. I'd like to stay up to watch the intro to Bulitt just to see if I can learn who that flute band is playing when Steve McQueen and Jacqueline Bissett are having dinner (although someone on here could probably tell me). And it's fun to see Jimmy Stewart sharing a piano bench with Duke Ellington, whom I think he calls "Pie-Eye"? Was that one of his nicknames? Otherwise, these are all movies I've seen at least a dozen times each.

June 2 - I haven't seen Black Legion. Sounds like a good role for Bogart, a little different than all his pre-stardom gangster roles. I don't watch a lot of Westerns, but I enjoyed Dodge City the one time I've seen it and would watch again.

June 3 - The Peckinpah documentary, if that's what it is, might be interesting. Ride the High Country is another Western I don't mind watching. I'm more interested in the middle of the night films, but I won't probably won't be staying up that late. I wish Straw Dogs was on the schedule.

June 4 - No question jazz was an African-American invention, so why not three movies in a row with largely or all black casts? I think I started A Song is Born late one night but didn't finish it. A musical remake of Ball of Fire, right? And only seven years later! I remember being surprised at Benny Goodman in a role that's not entirely about being a musician.

June 5 - Having gotten just about all my Marx Brothers from TCM, I've seen a lot more MGM Marx Brothers than Paramount Marx Brothers. But here are four Paramounts in a row! I would like to catch at least two of them.

June 6 - I'm unsure if the new Essentials with Brad Bird is starting this month or if the TCM website just automatically lists every Saturday as The Essentials. But if this is the new season, I hope all the people who hate all the foreign, black and slow movies being introduced by Ava DuVernay will hold celebrations (if they're permitted again yet) for the new season kicking off with Lawrence of Arabia, which has probably been an Essential 10 times. Hard to think of one more worthy of the title though, I must admit. I love the first hour and the last hour and wish we could cut out about 100 minutes out of the middle, however. I love The Underworld Story. Dan Dureya gets a chance to be heroic for a change (though for the first part of the movie, he's pretty standard Dan Duryea), and I listed Gale Storm in another thread as one of my studio-era Hollywood crushes.

June 7 - Well, who knew William Powell and Carole Lombard ever made another movie together? Not me! So, if I can stay up, I'd like to check out Man of the World, a TCM premiere!

Somewhat underwhelmed, but at least we get the TCM premieres of Mouchette and The Cotton Club.  But if we are doing a jazz theme, why not Round Midnight?  Is it somehow so wildly popular that TCM can't afford to view it?  Having a theme on the history of swimwear is odd, and not in a good way.  More recent examples would just objectify women.  But concentrating on the sixties is neither aesthetically or erotically interesting. 

5 hours ago, skimpole said:

at least we get the TCM premieres of Mouchette and The Cotton Club

I bet it's just a tease & they'll be pulled at the last minute.

I was never a fan of Sheridan's,  mostly familiar her playing kind of bland roles with Cagney. MGMayer is crazy about her so when TCM showed a few different films, I recorded & watched them. Her performances in NORA PRENTISS & KINGS ROW switched her from my ho-hum column to the "I'm a fan" column.

Her typical girl-next-door role makes her familiar cameo performance in THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER all the more enjoyable now. Sorry I had seen that first, it certainly isn't a typical role for her.

She was good in musicals, too. Looking forward to seeing more!

It's nice to see that TCM will have a month long tribute to Ann Sheridan.

She and Cagney had great chemistry in their three films together. Unfortunately, ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES, the film that first made Warners see Ann's star potential, can no longer be shown on the channel.

Sheridan was cursed with a lot of mediocre script material by Warners. She later said she got two bad films for every one good one by the studio. The film of which she was unquestionably most proud was KINGS ROW (even though she doesn't appear in it until the half way point).

It's too bad that her Paramount films don't make it on the channel nor her Universal or RKO films from the '50s. It's also a shame that COME NEXT SPRING, a charming bucolic piece with Steve Cochran, won't be broadcast. JUST ACROSS THE STREET from 1952 is the one Sheridan film of which I've never been able to find a copy.

For me the highlight Sheridan films to be shown are TORRID ZONE, THEY DRIVE BY NIGHT, CITY FOR CONQUEST, KINGS ROW, SILVER RIVER and WOMAN ON THE RUN. However, Ann always put on a good show no matter what the quality of the film, and there are things to be said for IT ALL CAME TRUE, GEORGE WASHINGTON SLEPT HERE, EDGE OF DARKNESS, SHINE ON HARVEST MOON (despite a wretched script), NORA PRENTISS , THE UNFAITHFUL and even JUKE GIRL (in which Sheridan is great though the film disappoints).

Here's an image of an autographed 1948 pix of Annie that I was able to snag:

4WX1NgS.jpg

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Dommy said:

WB has lost the rights to "Angels with Dirty Faces" as of 2010. I'm glad I have that Warner Gangsters DVD set with a copy of it included.

4 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

WB has lost the rights to "Angels with Dirty Faces" as of 2010. I'm glad I have that Warner Gangsters DVD set with a copy of it included.

Angels With Dirty Faces is a major film title. I wonder why Warners lost rights to this film while retaining it for so many others, many of them minor compared to this one.

2 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Angels With Dirty Faces is a major film title. I wonder why Warners lost rights to this film while retaining it for so many others, many of them minor compared to this one.

I do not know, but Warners also lost the rights to two other Cagney films - "Ceiling Zero" and "Come Fill the Cup". 

16 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

I do not know, but Warners also lost the rights to two other Cagney films - "Ceiling Zero" and "Come Fill the Cup". 

I know but they lost those rights some years ago, while Angels is a more recent occurrence. I read that Warners lost the rights to Santa Fe Trail (thus all the PD quality copies of it floating around) due to a goof up and someone simply forgetting to renew the rights to the film. I wonder if the same thing happened with the Cagney gangster flick.

I love it when Rocky is in the gym and before he goes over to coach the game he puts his hat on Ann Sheridan's head as if to say I'm the boss, sweetheart, you're just my 2nd banana.

a classy tomata

Ann Sheridan Movies | Ultimate Movie Rankings