san quentin (1937) with pat o'brien
juke girl (1942) with ronald reagan
naughty but nice (1939) with dick powell

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lydecker said:

This is great news!!!

Agree. A great choice....37 films.

I'm ashamed to say I've only seen about 50% of these, though I'm 100% in love with Ann Sheridan. Really looking forward to seeing these, especially Juke Girl, which I missed last time it was shown. Seeing the list of her costars reminds me of what a pro she was and how versatile an actress to be able to pair with such diverse  personalities. She could do sweetheart, hard-boiled and smart-talking equally well, which put her on a short list of classic movie actresses. Love her. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DougieB said:

I'm ashamed to say I've only seen about 50% of these, though I'm 100% in love with Ann Sheridan. Really looking forward to seeing these, especially Juke Girl, which I missed last time it was shown. Seeing the list of her costars reminds me of what a pro she was and how versatile an actress to be able to pair with such diverse  personalities. She could do sweetheart, hard-boiled and smart-talking equally well, which put her on a short list of classic movie actresses. Love her. 

You're in for a treat then.      I've seen Juke Girl and Ann is very good in it and gets lead billing over Ronald Reagan  (who is fine but someone like John Garfield,  who WB had under contract,  would have added more juice).       

As one can see from the promo poster WB didn't really know how to market such a film,  where the male stars (expected in the case of Davis),  wasn't  'sold' as the main attraction.

Sure,  she's easy to meet...  but try and forget her,   and She's a good girl.... For guys to let alone.

Those contradict each other! (ha ha).

image.jpeg.a7c76d52318e2e59f767c45e9d9af467.jpegimage.jpeg.e7d4bcccd7d81228ee80869d22350924.jpegimage.jpeg.81544a0db40012b2303c82c86c5a212c.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Screen shot 2017-07-21 at 12.31.56 PM.png

Lighting the Men-Nora

NORA PRENTISS is a combination of melodrama, horror and gangster picture all rolled up into one. And with such great performances, it's a real treat.

If anyone can defy the production code and get away with it, certainly it’s a character played by Ann Sheridan.

Screen shot 2017-07-21 at 12.30.35 PM.png

Warners putting Sheridan in a more serious role takes her away from her usual assignments as a saucy, wisecracking dame. This particular story has her playing a nightclub singer who falls for a married doctor and naturally should not have him. But in utter and complete defiance of the production code, she does get him.

Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 3.41.10 PM

The sinful story features Kent Smith as the doctor, Rosemary de Camp as the doctor's wife, and Robert Alda as a gangster who wants Nora all to himself. And frankly, who wouldn't..?

Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 3.43.44 PM

Possibly my favorite Ann Sheridan film.  Noir but with a sympathetic female lead. Of course, hard to understand why adorable Ann would fall for dull Kent Smith.

• Like 1

I think Nora Pretiss needs to be cleaned up.  The film is so muddy and visually unclear.  It appears to be a great movie and set in San Francisco in the '40's, but it's a distraction to have the film need so much work.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PaulaJD said:

I think Nora Pretiss needs to be cleaned up.  The film is so muddy and visually unclear.  It appears to be a great movie and set in San Francisco in the '40's, but it's a distraction to have the film need so much work.

I agree.     I wondered if my T.V.   had issues especially for some of the scenes that were 'muddy' and others that were too-dark (yea,  these were night scenes but,,,,).

Warner Bros film that I assume was converted to digital long-ago,  so that surprised me (i.e.  shouldn't be a cheap public domain copy).

There are some interesting user reviews about NORA PRENTISS on the TCM database.

Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 8.56.56 AM.jpg

From Rob Knapp

This was a great film noir. It is in need of a UCLA Film Restoration. Fingers crossed. The "Oomph Girl" at her Warner Brothers Peak! There's no other quite like Ann Sheridan, that is. And they didn't call her the "Oomph Girl" for nothing. The movie "Nora Prentiss" is about a man's obsession. That obsession leads him into such depths of depression and depravity that he destroys everything he held near and dear to himself in order to keep the woman, Nora Prentiss. "Nora Prentiss' " characters work because they're endowed with both strong and weak qualities. No one's clearly victim or villain here, just quite ordinary people who get trapped in tragic circumstances.

Screen Shot 2020-06-19 at 7.58.23 PM

From tom chelsey

Ever since THE BLUE ANGEL, starring Marlene Dietrich, singers have become dangerous to know...Warner Brothers respectively picked up the pieces and produced NORA PRENTISS with the cautionary note of "what a tangled web we weave when we practice to deceive" and pulled out all the stops. The film made a fortune, but left varying observations from both critics and the audience alike. Bottom line, you either loved it or it was just way, way over the top. Welcome to the atypical Hollywood soap opera. It was also refreshing to see Ann Sheridan cast in the lead as opposed to Davis, Crawford, or even Barbara Stanwyck, who were on the Warners lot. Sheridan, beautiful as ever, made the most of her role as the singer with a "lethal" touch who proceeds to destroy good doctor Kent Smith's career and life, for that matter....OR did he do it all to himself?? Again, Hollywood soap opera. And the wild ride continued with the inclusion of a dead body, plastic surgery, a fiery car crash, more surgery, a murder trial...Whew! You had to give the scenarists credit as they composed one utterly fascinating tale, and then again, isn't that what they're supposed to do. I have watched NORA PRENTISS over the years and it sure as heck kept me glued to the screen.

Screen Shot 2020-06-19 at 7.50.44 PM

From Roberta

When the doctor fell head over heels in love with Ann Sheridan's lovely night club singer, and she with him as well, he should have fessed up to his cold and clueless wife to his needs and said the four words "I want a divorce." Instead he sneaked around and skulked around, and self-destructed - murdering himself first figuratively and in the end literally. Also perhaps none of it would have happened if only his wife showed him more attention and some love and agreed to go away with him on vacation when he needed it to try to turn away from his girlfriend. But then there wouldn't have been a drama, a scenario, and a movie for us. So we must suspend disbelief and annoyance at the actions of certain characters mustn't we, and just enjoy the show. I think this is probably Kent Smith's finest performance.

Screen Shot 2020-06-19 at 7.51.35 PM

• Like 1

Ann Sheridan month is almost over and not one person said anything about her movies and her performances.

2 hours ago, Dommy said:

Ann Sheridan month is almost over and not one person said anything about her movies and her performances.

What do you mean? There are several posts in the thread about NORA PRENTISS. And earlier James mentioned JUKE GIRL.

Technically, Ann Sheridan month is only half over because there are still two more nights of her films yet to air on TCM.

I realsise now the posts are not on the first page so I ddn't see them.  Still sad they couldn't show Behold My Wife, Car 99, The Glass Key, Angels With Dirty Faces, Letter Of Introduction, Winter Carnival, Thank Your Lucky Stars, Good Sam, Stella, Just Across The Street, Steel Town,  Take Me To Town and Come Next Spring.   

• Thanks 1

Tomorrow night they are focusing on Ann Sheridan's comedies. 

tuesday the 23rd of june

Screen Shot 2020-02-03 at 5.35.13 PM.png

i was a male war bride (1949) with cary grant
the man who came to dinner (1942) with monty woolley
george washington slept here (1942) with jack benny

Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 11.57.57 AM 2.jpeg

• Like 1

JUKE GIRL is airing tomorrow night.

If you like things like THE GRAPES OF WRATH and THIEVES' HIGHWAY, this one is for you.

Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 6.27.21 PM.jpeg

3 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

JUKE GIRL is airing tomorrow night.

If you like things like THE GRAPES OF WRATH and THIEVES' HIGHWAY, this one is for you.

Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 6.27.21 PM.jpeg

I did a double take when first reading this,   but I get it now.   Cleaver. 

• Thanks 1

My problem with having Ann Sheridan as SOTM is they left out Angels with Dirty Faces where she stars along side Cagney, Bogart and the first time with the Dead End Kids.

So disappointed. 

Love her in Kings Row.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Oneeyeopen said:

My problem with having Ann Sheridan as SOTM is they left out Angels with Dirty Faces where she stars along side Cagney, Bogart and the first time with the Dead End Kids.

So disappointed. 

Love her in Kings Row.

There are legal issues with leasing this film and that is why TCM hasn't shown it for years.     

16 hours ago, Oneeyeopen said:

Really? I didn't know about that.

There is a thread around here that covered this but I can't find it (search feature doesn't work well at this forum).

It is odd since the film is a Warner Brothers film and TCM has access to the most of the films from this studio due to the original purchase of such film from Ted Turner (along with MGM and RKO films).  

As far as I know it also doesn't contain any songs that now (more recently) have copy write or other type of legal issues that impact the leasing of the film (this 'song-rights' issue has tried up a few films,,,, say when the songwriter dies and during probate there are disputes on who owns the right,,,, the studio or the estate of the songwriter).

So while I have no clue why TCM can't show the film,  there must be legal issues because TCM used to show it (since it is one of Cagney's most famous and well known films).

Yea,  lawyers,,,,,   all I want is for TCM to show the film!  (ha ha).

Watched  One More Tomorrow yesterday.    Didn't know this was an  adaptation of the from the play The Animal Kingdom by Philip Barry but it that became clear after a few minutes.

I really like the 1932 pre-code  Leslie Howard \ Ann Harding \ Myrna Loy version of the film.       A major reason is that it is a pre-code and the relationship aspect of the play is more "open".      

While there are also fine actors in One More Tomorrow,    only Alexis Smith made an impression on me.   She was really good at being the all-for-me wife.    My wife and I had just watched a Thin Man movie and I told her Loy played the wife with Leslie Howard.     She found that hard to believe since she wasn't aware that in some early 30s films, before Thin Man,,  Loy did play some "bad girl" roles.      But in The Animal Kingdom she didn't provide as much "juice" as Smith did.    

One reason could be that it appears director Peter Godfrey was advised to show case Smith over Sheridan.   Sheridan as the ex, is clearly the 3rd wheel while in TAK,  the wife as played by Loy is. 

Just found out Olivia De Havilland was put on suppression for refusing to appear in the film and this lead to her famous landmark lawsuit against Warners.       I'm curious what role she would have played.      Either way,  Sheridan was also have major issues with Jack Warner.       So was Sheridan or Smith selected to replace Olivia?      Either way,  Smith was added to the WB roster to help keep all WB actresses other than Bette Davis under Jack's thumb.        Either way,  this was just not a good role for Sheridan's screen persona.    (and a great one for Smith).

• Like 1

My guess is that Olivia would have played the Sheridan part, since she is more of an open, honest type versus the "all-for-me" type, if you think of the role she played in The Strawberry Blonde vs. Rita Hayworth's acquisitive redhead.

I found Myrna Loy charming in The Animal Kingdom, but have never been able to warm up to Ann Harding in any role.  Dennis Morgan is no Leslie Howard; Morgan just plays as the bland, all-American wealthy hunk.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rosebette said:

My guess is that Olivia would have played the Sheridan part, since she is more of an open, honest type versus the "all-for-me" type, if you think of the role she played in The Strawberry Blonde vs. Rita Hayworth's acquisitive redhead.

I found Myrna Loy charming in The Animal Kingdom, but have never been able to warm up to Ann Harding in any role.  Dennis Morgan is no Leslie Howard; Morgan just plays as the bland, all-American wealthy hunk.  

While I also assume Olivia would have played the Sheridan part,  I'm not so sure it would have been a good fit for her.    Yea, clearly more of the type verses the all-of-me wife,  but still not a great fit (but of course Olivia,  given sound direction,  could have played almost any role).

While I found Loy charming at the start of The Animal Kingdom she came off as too distance in the later parts.     (but maybe it was  just me,  based on personal experience with Strawberry blondes,,,  and I was looking for someone much more devious and not-so-nice (which,  like I said,  Alexis Smith did provide,,,, in spades!).