Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The stupidest comic protagonist

3 minutes ago, kingrat said:

About those Stooges: in general, men seem to respond more favorably to the Stooges than women do.

That's because guys think, "Even I'm not that dumb."

• Like 1

The one Jack Lemmon movie where he is driving around and around a traffic circle.   Repeatedly.  At least that is what I remember of it.   Nothing against Lemmon, this was just the film maker's decision to edit together a stupid scene, one of the most stupid ever to be filmed.  I don't often find myself howling at the TV set in agony.  This set the moment for me.

2 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

The one Jack Lemmon movie where he is driving around and around a traffic circle.   Repeatedly.  At least that is what I remember of it.   Nothing against Lemmon, this was just the film maker's decision to edit together a stupid scene, one of the most stupid ever to be filmed.  I don't often find myself howling at the TV set in agony.  This set the moment for me.

Isn't that the first film he did with Judy Holiday,  It Should Happen to You?     But it isn't Lemmon that is driving but instead Peter Lawford.

8 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Isn't that the first film he did with Judy Holiday,  It Should Happen to You?     But it isn't Lemmon that is driving but instead Peter Lawford.

Yup.  I typed that first without looking through my notes, but that's the one.

5 hours ago, kingrat said:

About those Stooges: in general, men seem to respond more favorably to the Stooges than women do.

This. I do not think I have ever known a woman who liked The Three Stooges. 

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Thenryb said:

I can handle the Stooges in small doses.  The Curly ones are definitely better than the Shemp or Joe ones. 

They're very much a one trick pony though.  Their shtick seems very much the same from one short to the next. 

2 hours ago, Thenryb said:

I guess that makes me unique. I watch them a couple times a week. When I eat supper at home and don't want to get into a show, I'll watch a few Stooge shorts. Makes eating kinda hard, though. 😆

Count me in as another female who loves the Stooges. From childhood to adulthood to senior, I always find something amusing in them. 

As a kid, the short with the gloved hands washing dogs and the parrot with the skull on it's head were my favorite bits.  I enjoyed the indie neighborhood theater offered midnight showings of 6-7 Stooges shorts every weekend during my college years. Nowadays, it's the sound effects that I find hilarious.

I also have that STOOGES SCRAPBOOK written with the help of Moe's daughter mentioned earlier. The only scant personal information about the Stooges for years!

Childhood nostalgia can play a huge role in your affections, of course. My generation grew up watching the Three Stooges on television, and one of my go to bits as a kid were my Curly impersonations. Not only the "Woo woo woo" but the "Ruff, ruff!" as well. Then, of course, there was the favourite, "Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk." When you do stuff like that, and still find yourself doing it on occasion as a teenager, it's hard to ever really get Curly out of your heart.

tumblr_n241fy22i61toamj8o1_400.gif

giphy.gif

I believe that second image is from "Crash Goes The Hash" (?) which is Curly's reaction to a cooked turkey (with a live parrot inside it) which is now standing on those parrot legs and hopping across a dinner table.

To me the Stooges were always at their best whenever they were in high society, making a disaster of some high fallutin' social gathering. There's nothing quite like a high society snob getting a pie in the face! Of course, the Stooges always got them in their pusses, too. Apparently Moe was an expert pie launcher and he was the one who threw a lot of those pies at others off camera.

chElK5.gif

MiniatureBlueIcelandgull-size_restricted

tenor.gif?itemid=8776988

tenor.gif?itemid=7691207

I dunno. I guess I've just always been into high brow humour. Curly's childlike reactions to everything can still break me up.

Well, I gotta go. It's time for me to put my life on the line. I have to go grocery shopping.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Y'know, I was a HUGE 3 stooges fan way back when my age was still in single digits up until I was about 12 or so... And after all these years I CAN think of one Stooge bit that still makes me laugh to think of it.

I don't recall the name of the short it's from, but it concerns this;

The guys are looking for some other guy's residence and directions written down on a piece of paper simply says it's at the end of a certain street.  But when they reach the end it's a cul-de-sac.  Not sure which residence is the one they seek they agree to ask the next person that comes along if they know where the guy lives.  Well, the next passer-by is a woman who can best be described as "stacked", and the three walk up and when Moe simply asks, "Pardon us miss, but---" Just then the woman swings her arm, slapping all three in succession and then again when she swings her arm back.  (smack-smack-smack!  smack, smack smack!)  She then tersly says, "Fresh!"  then turns and walks into a nearby door.  On the door, the three read it's the residence of, "Madam Zorba, mind reader".  They then turn to each other, smacking and eye poking and all while accusing each other---"It was YOU!"  "NO!  It was YOU!"   :D 

Sepiatone

On 4/1/2020 at 9:17 PM, MovieCollectorOH said:

I thought the same, but watched my dad laugh so hard he almost got sick.  This was the one where the Three Stooges were working on a house, and Curly was in a bathroom working on some piping with the water still running.  He kept adding so much piping that he trapped himself into a piping cage.  Then meanwhile downstairs the family was watching a new-fangled TV set.  They saw a live shot of Niagara Falls.  Just then Curly did something with the piping and water sprayed out the TV set and into the living room!  Probably one of the funnier things they did though.

A Plumbing We Will Go I think it was. What happened was the boys swapped out pipes containing electrical wiring with water pipes.  I would love to know where all that water went in the studio.  My favorite part is when Larry is digging a hole in the backyard to find the water "cut off valve" digs his way up into the lawn and says, "I'll find this thing or else" and goes back down the hole pulling his hat after him. Whoomp!

51 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Y'know, I was a HUGE 3 stooges fan way back when my age was still in single digits up until I was about 12 or so... And after all these years I CAN think of one Stooge bit that still makes me laugh to think of it.

I don't recall the name of the short it's from, but it concerns this;

The guys are looking for some other guy's residence and directions written down on a piece of paper simply says it's at the end of a certain street.  But when they reach the end it's a cul-de-sac.  Not sure which residence is the one they seek they agree to ask the next person that comes along if they know where the guy lives.  Well, the next passer-by is a woman who can best be described as "stacked", and the three walk up and when Moe simply asks, "Pardon us miss, but---" Just then the woman swings her arm, slapping all three in succession and then again when she swings her arm back.  (smack-smack-smack!  smack, smack smack!)  She then tersly says, "Fresh!"  then turns and walks into a nearby door.  On the door, the three read it's the residence of, "Madam Zorba, mind reader".  They then turn to each other, smacking and eye poking and all while accusing each other---"It was YOU!"  "NO!  It was YOU!"   :D 

Sepiatone

I think that's "No Census, No Feeling.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, TomJH said:

Childhood nostalgia can play a huge role in your affections, of course. My generation grew up watching the Three Stooges on television, and one of my go to bits as a kid were my Curly impersonations. Not only the "Woo woo woo" but the "Ruff, ruff!" as well. Then, of course, there was the favourite, "Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk." When you do stuff like that, and still find yourself doing it on occasion as a teenager, it's hard to ever really get Curly out of your heart.

giphy.gif

I believe that second image is from "Crash Goes The Hash" (?) which is Curly's reaction to a cooked turkey (with a live parrot inside it) which is now standing on those parrot legs and hoping across a dinner table.

To me the Stooges were always at their best whenever they were in high society, making a disaster of some high fallutin' social gathering. There's nothing quite like a high society snob getting a pie in the face! Of course, the Stooges always got them in their pusses, too. Apparently Moe was an expert pie launcher and he was the one who threw a lot of those pies at others off camera.

chElK5.gif

MiniatureBlueIcelandgull-size_restricted

tenor.gif?itemid=8776988

tenor.gif?itemid=7691207

I dunno. I guess I've just always been into high brow humour. Curly's childlike reactions to everything can still break me up.

Well, I gotta go. It's time for me to put my life on the line. I have to go grocery shopping.

Same here. My brother and I still do dialogue from the shorts.  He's retired now and I'm getting closer and we still love the Stooges. 

6 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Count me in as another female who loves the Stooges. From childhood to adulthood to senior, I always find something amusing in them. 

As a kid, the short with the gloved hands washing dogs and the parrot with the skull on it's head were my favorite bits.  I enjoyed the indie neighborhood theater offered midnight showings of 6-7 Stooges shorts every weekend during my college years. Nowadays, it's the sound effects that I find hilarious.

I also have that STOOGES SCRAPBOOK written with the help of Moe's daughter mentioned earlier. The only scant personal information about the Stooges for years!

I have that book too!

12 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I can handle the Stooges in small doses.  The Curly ones are definitely better than the Shemp or Joe ones. 

They're very much a one trick pony though.  Their shtick seems very much the same from one short to the next. 

You know, I like the Shemp shorts simply for the dialogue and story lines.  In one episode, they're posing as detectives. Christine McIntyre comes into the office and tells them that "Strange men are following me!". Shemp says, "They'd be strange if they didn't."  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Janet0312 said:

A Plumbing We Will Go I think it was. What happened was the boys swapped out pipes containing electrical wiring with water pipes.  I would love to know where all that water went in the studio.  My favorite part is when Larry is digging a hole in the backyard to find the water "cut off valve" digs his way up into the lawn and says, "I'll find this thing or else" and goes back down the hole pulling his hat after him. Whoomp!

It was more common back then for stages to have a raised false floor sitting on top of a waterproof sealed floor that had drains underneath it.  For most of the production they would perform on top of the nice dry false floor.  For the wet scenes with rain, stagehands would come in and remove the dry false floor in sections, then open up the valve for the "rain curtain" (an overhead row of sprayheads as wide as the stage).  After the wet scene was done they would shut off the water, squeegee the water into the floor drains, and then move the dry false floor back into place on top of that and continue with a fresh change of clothes and a dry stage, as if nothing had happened.

So this shouldn't have been any issue for the studio as they filmed "A Plumbing We Will Go".   The Three Stooges wouldn't have needed a nice finished floor for that scene, just any old stage floor that could drain water.  😁

6 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

It was more common back then for stages to have a raised false floor sitting on top of a waterproof sealed floor that had drains underneath it.  For most of the production they would perform on top of the nice dry false floor.  For the wet scenes with rain, stagehands would come in and remove the dry false floor in sections, then open up the valve for the "rain curtain" (an overhead row of sprayheads as wide as the stage).  After the wet scene was done they would shut off the water, squeegee the water into the floor drains, and then move the dry false floor back into place on top of that and continue with a fresh change of clothes and a dry stage, as if nothing had happened.

So this shouldn't have been any issue for the studio as they filmed "A Plumbing We Will Go".   The Three Stooges wouldn't have needed a nice finished floor for that scene, just any old stage floor that could drain water.  😁

You rock! Thanks! Can't wait to tell brother.

19 hours ago, TomJH said:

That's because guys think, "Even I'm not that dumb."

Well, this may be a time for a Stooge marathon.  I have them all on DVD!!!!!!!!!!

Curly suffered a stroke while they were filming a pie fight sequence in Half Wits Holiday. He was sitting in a chair on the set and couldn't stand up. His days as a stooge were over. Harry Cohn, however, wouldn't make any kind of monetary contributions to help Curly out so it was up to Moe, Larry and Shemp to chip in a part of their pay checks to help the funniest stooge of them all keep going financially. Curly would finally succumb five years after his stroke. His health had been affected (and you can see it in his finally shorts as he grew weaker and lost some weight in the face) by a bad heart.

Curly did make one final appearance (with hair) in Hold That Lion. It only lasted a few seconds as a guy asleep on a train but those fleeting moments were the only time that four stooges appeared on screen together.

• Thanks 1

One of my favorite Stooge shorts is "Goof on the Roof." Shemp is a riot. Moe is my favorite, though. Nothing is funnier when he gets it. Here is the full episode.

• Thanks 1

My dog does the "Curley Shuffle" on the floor, rotating on her side, feet paddling. I think that's Curley's schtick, often reacting like a dog. Ruff ruff.

Most slapstick type comedians schtick is to act like a child- Jerry Lewis, Lou Costello, Laurel & Hardy, etc. I often find that kind of humor tiring & just want to slap them into thinking ahead & avoid the obvious mishap.

That's this type of comedian I find the stupidest.

That said, somehow I still can enjoy the Stooges- in smaller doses, though.