Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

With most staying home due to virus, what movie marathon would you choose?

On 4/3/2020 at 12:48 PM, NipkowDisc said:

begin with the egg and I followed by all the ma and pa kettle movies.

"hey ma, they haven't put us on tcm yet."

"so what else is new, pa?"

Ma and Pa Kettle Were Based on a Real Life Farming Couple

Most don't believe Main was an Oscar contender for this role   He got killed while crossing the street in LA years later

On 4/3/2020 at 8:51 PM, vidorisking said:

How about shorts like Joe McDoakes, Crime Does Not Pay, Robert Benchley or Vitaphone Shorts all day/night long. Just keep them on loop mode.

I love any of the tcm shorts more then the features   Now we get tv commercials at the theatre first

On 4/3/2020 at 12:48 PM, NipkowDisc said:

begin with the egg and I followed by all the ma and pa kettle movies.

"hey ma, they haven't put us on tcm yet."

"so what else is new, pa?"

Ma and Pa Kettle Were Based on a Real Life Farming Couple

NipkowDisc, love the Lee Marvin Black rock/hector avatar buddy

• Like 1
23 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

The Killer That Stalked New York

Last Man on Earth

The Satan Bug

The Andromeda Strain

A Boy And His Dog

12 Monkeys

The Road

Add PANIC IN THE STREETS '50 to that list. 

An eerily familiar plot, I've picked up reading Stephen King's 1000 pager, THE STAND to keep me entertained.  Once that's finished, I'll watch the schlocky TV movie.

I'm using this time to catch up on all the TCM recordings in the queue. Most are lighthearted pre-codes featuring Joan Blondell, William Powell, etc. Then, I'll watch the entire Thelma Todd SUTS Day shorts recorded to 5 disks for fun.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, spence said:

Never saw all of it, but A. Strain & 1995's Outbreak come to mind, other then that there are not a dozen films that deal with this type of thing, or are there?

Probably a few more. There are some remakes of Last Man on Earth, but I've not seen them, I've heard mentions of  I Am Legend  and The Omega Man 

Another is French film  Le Dernier Combat (The Last Battle) (1983).

• Like 1
On 4/5/2020 at 8:10 AM, cigarjoe said:

Probably a few more. There are some remakes of Last Man on Earth, but I've not seen them, I've heard mentions of  I Am Legend  and The Omega Man 

Another is French film  Le Dernier Combat (The Last Battle) (1983).

I remember THE OMEGA MAN was it was on tv in the early to mid '70's, actually in retrospect I rank I AM LEGEND stronger   & and among the few thrillers-(well, sci-fi) that can get under my skin

On 4/5/2020 at 8:10 AM, TikiSoo said:

Add PANIC IN THE STREETS '50 to that list. 

An eerily familiar plot, I've picked up reading Stephen King's 1000 pager, THE STAND to keep me entertained.  Once that's finished, I'll watch the schlocky TV movie.

I'm using this time to catch up on all the TCM recordings in the queue. Most are lighthearted pre-codes featuring Joan Blondell, William Powell, etc. Then, I'll watch the entire Thelma Todd SUTS Day shorts recorded to 5 disks for fun.

Tiki, I was just thinking about PANIC... & this disease the other day

On Saturday I watched “Sunset Blvd.” I fear that if this stay at home order goes on for too long, I will become Norma Desmond. I’ll start walking around the house saying things like: “I’ll be bigger than peanut butter!”

• Haha 2

I know there are many of  you, including those in assisted living quarters, who abhorred the Japanese movie marathon.  The subtitles must have driven many of you crazy.  I rather enjoyed watching "Stray  Dog", "High and Low," and "Seven Samurai". 

I would like to see a marathon of movies which have a running time of not more than 90 minutes.  TCM Programming did this a few months ago and it was great.  People who  produce movies today could take notice that you do not have to make every movie close to three hours to make it an entertaining story.  

• Like 2
On 4/7/2020 at 12:33 AM, TopBilled said:

How about a marathon of Columbo TV movies..?

A marathon of Columbo TV movies would be keen but I do not believe METV and COZI cable channels would permit it.  Would TCM make an attempt to show a marathon of "movies made for television" like "Trilogy of Terror" or "Roots" or any Emmy Award winning TV movie series when they have been branding themselves for over twenty-five years as a channel featuring "movies released through movie studios" is a matter for interesting discussion. 

I do think it is ironic, if you are aware of TCM Programming history, that TCM would not consider and probably cannot have an all-day marathon of Columbo TV movies but they did show an all-day marathon of "The Man from U.N.C.L.E" TV movies once during the early/mid 2000s.

16 minutes ago, thomasterryjr said:

I do think it is ironic, if you are aware of TCM Programming history, that TCM would not consider and probably cannot have an all-day marathon of Columbo TV movies but they did show an all-day marathon of "The Man from U.N.C.L.E" TV movies once during the early/mid 2000s.

Those Man from UNCLE movies were theatrically released. Yeah, they were all just re-edits of TV episodes, but they did play in theaters, as did several other "movies" made by re-editing two or more episodes of TV series into feature form. 

As far as I know, none of the Columbo shows or TV movies were ever shown theatrically. I could be wrong about that, though.

2 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Those Man from UNCLE movies were theatrically released. Yeah, they were all just re-edits of TV episodes, but they did play in theater, as were several other "movies" made by re-editing two or more episodes of TV series into feature form. 

As far as I know, none of the Columbo shows or TV movies were ever shown theatrically. I could be wrong about that, though.

Thanks for this explanation since I found it hard to believe TCM would show actual "TV movies".      Since I didn't know,  I didn't wish to get into here since I would have to cry UNCLE  due to lack of knowledge.

• Haha 1

The Man from UNCLE "movies" included:

• To Trap a Spy (1964)
  • The Spy with My Face (1965)
  • One Spy Too Many (1966)
  • One of Our Spies is Missing (1966)
  • The Spy in the Green Hat (1966)
  • The Karate Killers (1967)
  • The Helicopter Spies (1968)
  • How to Steal the World (1968)

I'm not sure of all of the other TV shows edited into movies that there were, but I do specifically recall a few made from The Untouchables:

• The Scarface Mob (1959)
  • The Alcatraz Express (1960)
  • The Guns of Zangara (1960)
  • Like 1

TCM has shown a few made-for-television movies before.  I watched them.  GREEN EYES (1977-Tvm) starring Paul Winfield, for one. 

There was another one on the same evening of programming as 'Green Eyes' that I also watched with James Garner and James Woods.  Except I forget the title.  It was from 1986.  Woods played the younger brother of Garner and Woods had a mental disorder of some kind.  Piper Laurie co-starred (I think).  

5 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

TCM has shown a few made-for-television movies before.  I watched them.  GREEN EYES (1977-Tvm) starring Paul Winfield, for one. 

There was another one on the same evening of programming as 'Green Eyes' that I also watched with James Garner and James Woods.  Except I forget the title.  It was from 1986.  Woods played the younger brother of Garner and Woods had a mental disorder of some kind.  Piper Laurie co-starred (I think).  

I think that was Promise. I didn't know TCM showed it.

• Like 1

That's it, LawrenceA. 

TCM was showing an evening of films which had been honored with something called the 'Peabody Award' a few years back.  There were more films shown that night than just 'GREEN EYES' and 'PROMISE', but I don't remember what the others were.     

EDIT:  I almost forgot . . . TCM aired the 1989 made-for-cable-TV movie COLD SASSY TREE with Faye Dunaway and Richard Widmark a few years ago. 

On 4/4/2020 at 7:57 AM, cigarjoe said:

The Killer That Stalked New York

Last Man on Earth

The Satan Bug

The Andromeda Strain

A Boy And His Dog

12 Monkeys

The Road

Whoops. Thought you said the Killer Shrews.