Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

With most staying home due to virus, what movie marathon would you choose?

6 hours ago, thomasterryjr said:

A marathon of Columbo TV movies would be keen but I do not believe METV and COZI cable channels would permit it.  Would TCM make an attempt to show a marathon of "movies made for television" like "Trilogy of Terror" or "Roots" or any Emmy Award winning TV movie series when they have been branding themselves for over twenty-five years as a channel featuring "movies released through movie studios" is a matter for interesting discussion. 

I do think it is ironic, if you are aware of TCM Programming history, that TCM would not consider and probably cannot have an all-day marathon of Columbo TV movies but they did show an all-day marathon of "The Man from U.N.C.L.E" TV movies once during the early/mid 2000s.

I thought the thread was asking for our personal marathon choices. Movies we would watch at home during self-isolation, whether or not they might air on TCM. I mentioned the Columbo episodes since they are on DVD and I find them pleasant time passers. Some are silly, some are quite good.

4 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

That's it, LawrenceA. 

TCM was showing an evening of films which had been honored with something called the 'Peabody Award' a few years back.  There were more films shown that night than just 'GREEN EYES' and 'PROMISE', but I don't remember what the others were.     

EDIT:  I almost forgot . . . TCM aired the 1989 made-for-cable-TV movie COLD SASSY TREE with Faye Dunaway and Richard Widmark a few years ago. 

COLD SASSY TREE aired as part of Faye Dunaway's Summer Under the Stars tribute a few years ago. It was a made-for-cable movie (made for TCM's sister network TNT).

• Like 1
15 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I thought the thread was asking for our personal marathon choices. Movies we would watch at home during self-isolation, whether or not they might air on TCM. I mentioned the Columbo episodes since they are on DVD and I find them pleasant time passers. Some are silly, some are quite good.

COLD SASSY TREE aired as part of Faye Dunaway's Summer Under the Stars tribute a few years ago. It was a made-for-cable movie (made for TCM's sister network TNT).

Just to set the record straight I was not demeaning or questioning my dear colleague's TopBilled personal taste for marathon movie choices.  I was pointing out that TCM would probably never schedule the Columbo programs for viewing on the network.  I am also a big fan of the Columbo television series and I would welcome watching a marathon of this classic television series on DVD as well. 

After many years of waiting for METV to place this classic television show back on its network and finding out they have it schedule at the ungodly hour of 3:00 A.M. on Sunday I just purchased for my marathon watching pleasure the "Mission: Impossible" television series on DVD.  I don't have the patience or want to sit and watch an entire season in one sitting during self-isolation but the one or two shows a day which I  watch are so enjoyable and a lot of fun as the Impossible Mission Force take down governments, dictators and the Mafia in their own special way.  

• Thanks 1

I've frankly never adapted to binge-watching in the ten years or so I've been aware of its existence. Usually one movie or maybe two episodes of a TV show is about all I can take before I've got to do something else. The smartphone/social media age has ruined my attention span like most people's, I guess. Once in a great while, I might watch as many as three or maybe even four movies in a row on TCM if the theme really grabs me, but I'll bet I don't do that more than two or three times a year. Two movies is usually my absolute limit. I've always professed a love for baseball, but even that is getting hard for me. I think the average time of a Major League baseball game last season was about three hours and seven minutes. That's a movie and a half, typically. I'm usually getting squirmy the older I get in the late innings unless the game is a real nail biter, which depresses me, because I always used to be a defender against the charge, mostly by younger people, that baseball is slow and boring. But I am no longer averse to just going to bed and finding out the result online in the morning, something I once never would have done.

Anyway, all that is to say I personally won't be having any movie marathons even during these times. But I've found the discussion interesting.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, sewhite2000 said:

I've frankly never adapted to binge-watching in the ten years or so I've been aware of its existence. Usually one movie or maybe two episodes of a TV show is about all I can take before I've got to do something else. The smartphone/social media age has ruined my attention span like most people's, I guess. Once in a great while, I might watch as many as three or maybe even four movies in a row on TCM if the theme really grabs me, but I'll bet I don't do that more than two or three times a year. Two movies is usually my absolute limit. I've always professed a love for baseball, but even that is getting hard for me. I think the average time of a Major League baseball game last season was about three hours and seven minutes. That's a movie and a half, typically. I'm usually getting squirmy the older I get in the late innings unless the game is a real nail biter, which depresses me, because I always used to be a defender against the charge, mostly by younger people, that baseball is slow and boring. But I am no longer averse to just going to bed and finding out the result online in the morning, something I once never would have done.

Anyway, all that is to say I personally won't be having any movie marathons even during these times. But I've found the discussion interesting.

The only thing I binge watch anymore=-(not movies) & I know a lot hate her is MADONNA, but not her videos, but her epic over 2hr concerts-(a dozen of them) my record with her is 26hrs straight

I hate when people only think of her from the vids-(which I also love) but haven't seen these concerts   She can literally play every single instrument up there too

as for movies as I said if I had the choice Hollywoods Golden Age-(l925-60) straight threw   The only motion pictures I've somewhat binge watched are the first 2 GODFATHER epics

Ha ha, the only time I ever saw Madonna live was six or seven years ago. The concert was scheduled to start at 7. She took the stage at 10:30. It was a Sunday night. I didn't get home until 2 am and had to start getting ready for work at 5:30. So, she was really not my favorite person for a while. It was like $100 to get a fairly crummy seat, too. But if you have videos that start the concert the second you hit Play, that's probably the best way to watch her.

Just now, sewhite2000 said:

Ha ha, the only time I ever saw Madonna live was six or seven years ago. The concert was scheduled to start at 7. She took the stage at 10:30. It was a Sunday night. I didn't get home until 2 am and had to start getting ready for work at 5:30. So, she was really not my favorite person for a while. It was like $100 to get a fairly crummy seat, too. But if you have videos that start the concert the second you hit Play, that's probably the best way to watch her.

YOU ACTUALLY GOT TO SEE HER IN PERSON THOUGH!  In general her fairly good seats are $250  Where was it by the way, the recent REBEL HEART tour?

Briefly got to correspond with her via links/connections, but it's been a longtime  She loves the net BIG-TIME!

Mostly now Instagram she loves best   She goes through more fazes then anybody & has altered her appearance more than anybody in entertainment history

Doesn't like being called just a singer though but a performance artist

Recently left the country-(though still keeps her NYC places) for London & of all places THE MALDIVE islands

53 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

No, I'm pretty sure it was the MDNA tour, so 2012, I guess. Longer ago than I realized.

Yep, that was about 3yrs before RH   She only a few weeks ago injured her knee so bad falling off a chair in France during rehersals it's double  the size of the ther & they thought she may have to have surgery If she wasn't such an athlete to begin with it obviously woulda been a lot worse (Penn's the one that got her working out so much) & had to cancel last leg of her MADAME X tour-(which I must admit the music is far from her best to put it mildly) If you've seen her with the x eye patch on her left eye-(which was always worse) that's from this tour  Fans got their $$$ back though   She also made 26 movies to date

THANK YOU

M won the Golden Globe fir EVITA (l996) ($51m.) but failed to garner an Oscar shot for it  In Guinness world records though it holds the record for most costume changes with over 134

Her real name is MADONNA, Madonna Louise Ciccone

If you ever want to catch her again in concert l990's BLONDE AMBITION TOUR-(ijn France) is the mt. summit

Matter of fact I went so far about 6yrs back to get a huge tattoo of her from VOGUE on my right thigh!

cost over $300.00

as for pure acting, the one thing she hasn't conquered though

thanks for your input

Guess you didn't like her show then overall huh? My mother went to SLY & THE FAMILY STONE in the mid '70's & he briefly came out & left & they didn't get their$$$ back either

To bad you did not get to see her in her prime & closer  circa  l987-l990 & even onward She's always all over the net & people keep asking the dumbest questions, about how come of her contemporaries she's still here (W. HOUSTON, M. JACKSON & PRINCE) because she loves pot-(or grass as she calls it) & never did the hard stuff   She'll be 62 come August 16th, ironically the well known death date of ELVISll

4 hours ago, thomasterryjr said:

Just to set the record straight I was not demeaning or questioning my dear colleague's TopBilled personal taste for marathon movie choices.  I was pointing out that TCM would probably never schedule the Columbo programs for viewing on the network.  I am also a big fan of the Columbo television series and I would welcome watching a marathon of this classic television series on DVD as well. 

After many years of waiting for METV to place this classic television show back on its network and finding out they have it schedule at the ungodly hour of 3:00 A.M. on Sunday I just purchased for my marathon watching pleasure the "Mission: Impossible" television series on DVD.  I don't have the patience or want to sit and watch an entire season in one sitting during self-isolation but the one or two shows a day which I  watch are so enjoyable and a lot of fun as the Impossible Mission Force take down governments, dictators and the Mafia in their own special way.  

On another tour guide bus in TINSEL-TOWN in Nov. 99 we went down the long famous ROXBURY DR & all these German ladies literally demanded the bus to stop because we were at PETER FALK'S humble home

• Like 1
On 4/10/2020 at 2:49 PM, sewhite2000 said:

I, too, have never understood where an individual can find the time or would want to sit through an entire DVD season of a television series in one sitting and brag about it.   I just acquired the Mission: Impossible television series on DVD and I am more than happy to see one show per day, maybe two shows.  As for baseball I might watch a game depending on the teams playing and who the pitching match-ups are.  I find it better for me to listen to baseball games on the radio while I am doing other things.        

• Like 1
On 4/9/2020 at 6:50 PM, TopBilled said:

when I was about 5 or 6 my babysitter used to watch COLUMBO & I remember asking him does he fight, he said he fights with his mind

Although Falk earned 2 Academy nominations for Murder, Inc (l960) & Pocketful of Miracles (l96l) I still like him doing a STAN & OLLIE with JACK LEMMON in THE GREAT RACE & think he stole '64's ROBIN AND THE 7 HOODS, then there is THE IN-LAWS (l979)

Almost 4-got & again can binge watch THE THREE STOOGES-(only the shorts though & by no means with the obnoxious JOE BESSER, who was also before that on tv's short-lived ABBOTT & COSTELLO SHOW (l952-54)   Sadly, he was the sole STOOGE present when they finally got a WOF-STAR I believe in l984, CURLY JOE DE RITA from the features was alive, but blind & more by then