Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
David Guercio

The Plot Thickens I’m Still Peter Bogdanovich

3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Furious over that-one of the only Bogdanovich movies I've never seen-still haven't watched my DVR of THE GREAT BUSTER.

When Bogdanovich's movies are good, they're extraordinarily good. Some hit the mark better than others, but a Bogdanovich movie is always worth watching at least once.  His filmography is stunning, he has the ability to craft comedies, parodies, poignant dramas & documentaries well.No mention here of MASK '85, THE CAT'S MEOW '2001 or his overlong but worthwhile documentary about Tom Petty RUNNIN DOWN A DREAM 2007. 

The Tom Petty documentary is excellent. I wasn’t sure that I was prepared to sit through a 4 hour film about Petty but it really moves along, especially if you’re a fan. 

19 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Audrey did get top billing in They All Laughed, but her role wasn't the largest. Ben Gazzara and John Ritter had the leading parts, and everyone else was like a member of an ensemble. Coleen Camp was a lot of fun as a New York based country singer.

That's good to know. This is why we need the movie to air!

I remember Saint Jack as being pretty good. Wonder if TCM will fuzz out the brief frontal nudity of the young Asian man.

Interesting that TCM blew up the image the other night when the guy got out so we didn't see below his waist, but not the girl.  We'll assume that's because it was still in prime time...  But so much for the uncut part of "uncut and commercial free" (and, yeah, that can be a double entendre).

I didn’t see it in its original run, so I’m not sure if your memory is correct, but the official dvd release is cropped the same as what TCM showed, so I don’t think you can blame them for censorship. They just showed what’s currently available. 

Peter knew a lotta heavyweights, but in his books he still rated HAWKS the best, even over FORD, you'd think the other way around after doing that superb l97l docu with FORD himself in the desert

I have a listing or 2 of his all-time favorite motion pictures & most are Westerns

He does like Wells THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS over KANE though

On 4/11/2020 at 3:07 PM, NewYorkGuy said:

The Last Picture Show is the one movie I remember going to with just my dad.  And although we'd both by that point seen women's breasts in a couple of movies, yeah, it was a new experience for both of us when the guy got out of the pool. And then the girl, top and bottom visible.

Interesting that TCM blew up the image the other night when the guy got out so we didn't see below his waist, but not the girl.  We'll assume that's because it was still in prime time...  But so much for the uncut part of "uncut and commercial free" (and, yeah, that can be a double entendre).

20 hours ago, kingrat said:

I remember Saint Jack as being pretty good. Wonder if TCM will fuzz out the brief frontal nudity of the young Asian man.

2 hours ago, alleybj said:

I didn’t see it in its original run, so I’m not sure if your memory is correct, but the official dvd release is cropped the same as what TCM showed, so I don’t think you can blame them for censorship. They just showed what’s currently available. 

I think what happened with the nudity is this. Movies are always supposed to be framed, so to speak. There is what would normally be projected, plus there is some extra part of the image on all four sides (top, bottom, left, right) in case the projectionist or projector messed up the image, even though these extra  parts were not supposed to be seen. My guess is that Bogdonovich originally framed the shot exposing all of the woman but not quite all of the man in front, but many theatres botched the image at the time so the man got more exposure so to speak. The botch continued to the original pan and scan videotape release (which due to the loss of width would show more up and down), but was changed for the DVD, likely back to what Bogdanovich originally intended. The reason i say this is because I have certain Roger Ebert review books at home, and some man wrote a question to Ebert about a disappearing nudity syndrome (namely Faye Dunaway in Network and even more nudity of Alice Krige in Ghost Story), and Ebert said it was likely because such things were not meant to be in the original image anyway, but just barely offscreen.

This has to be it because TCM has not flinched from showing this male nudity before: The Deer Hunter, Never Cry Wolf, Return of the Secaucus Seven, The Silence of the Lambs, Persona, Who's That Knocking at My Door, Women in Love, Medium Cool, Woodstock, Walkabout, Ali; Fear Eats the Soul, Desperate living, The Onion Field, Amistad, Under the Volcano......

• Thanks 1

Anybody see him on THE SOPRANOS as LORRAINE BRACCO'S shrink, it was a re-acurring role, but supporting

I have a book by him titled  52 Movie of the Week

& have a list of Bogandovich's all-time fav. films>

THE SEARCHERS

THE QUIET MAN

LA GRANDE ILLUSION

MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS

RED RIVER

RIO BRAVO

ONLY ANGELS HAVE WINGS

STAGECOACH (l939)

NORTH BY NORTHWEST

SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON
& TOUCH OF EVIL

his fav actors>

JOHN WAYNE, CARY GRANT & JIMMY STEWART-(he never cited an actress yet though, maybe JEAN ARTHUR)

Directors/filmmakers>

HAWKS, HITCHCOCK, FORD & WELLES

Surprisingly no KANE or VERTIGO though?

14 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

This has to be it because TCM has not flinched from showing this male nudity before:

I find it amazing, a flash of ****/genitalia will impress viewers so strongly. Often, it's the first image that comes to mind when a film is mentioned, "...did they cut the ___scene?"  Maybe that's why some filmmakers put a flash of nudity in, to be memorable?

As an artist I deal with images of nudity on a daily basis, like a nurse or caregiver. Ho-hum.

But I do love the storyline in THE LAST PICTURE SHOW of the character's losing their virginity, it's very sweet and empathetically told. I found the pool scene a liberating and joyous triumph for Jacey, despite the underlying salacious intentions of the other charactors.

That's why I want to see Texasville so badly, to find out what happened to Jacey. Obviously, the charactors are very "real" to me.

cybill-shepherd-4.jpg

1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

I find it amazing, a flash of ****/genitalia will impress viewers so strongly. Often, it's the first image that comes to mind when a film is mentioned, "...did they cut the ___scene?"  Maybe that's why some filmmakers put a flash of nudity in, to be memorable?

As an artist I deal with images of nudity on a daily basis, like a nurse or caregiver. Ho-hum.

But I do love the storyline in THE LAST PICTURE SHOW of the character's losing their virginity, it's very sweet and empathetically told. I found the pool scene a liberating and joyous triumph for Jacey, despite the underlying salacious intentions of the other charactors.

That's why I want to see Texasville so badly, to find out what happened to Jacey. Obviously, the charactors are very "real" to me.

cybill-shepherd-4.jpg

superb picture  LASTPICTURE SHOW! But lost the biggie to THE FRENCH CONNECTION that year, however both BEN JOHNSON & CLORIS LEACHMAN-(now 94) won

1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

cybill-shepherd-4.jpg

SHEPARD is rumored to be a real jerk

Who likes his 1072 hit WHATS UP DOC? (***1/2=out pf 4 stars)

More then obviously a take off on one of the all-time greatest comedies l938's BRINGING UP BABY

On 4/14/2020 at 7:10 AM, TikiSoo said:

cybill-shepherd-4.jpg

To try to sum up briefly from what little I know about Texasville (via what is printed online and what other details I could rustle up) is that Jacey became a film star for a while until her career crashed and burned. She returns a bit of a wreck but also a bit warmer and wiser, and immediately takes up into an affair with old [and married] flame Dwayne (Jeff Bridges), who is an oil baron of a company about to go belly-up,  married to firey Annie Potts and has a teenage son who is a ladies man. Sonny (Timothy Bottoms) is cracking up emotionally even though he's the town mayor. Ruth (Cloris Leachman) is Dwayne's secretary. Lestor (Randy Quaid) seeks to undermine Dwayne as he is a rival businessman. Genevieve (Eileen Brennan) still works at the diner.

15 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

To try to sum up briefly from what little I know about Texasville

Thanks for "spoiling" it.

immediately takes up into an affair with old flame Dwayne

"Is that it? What happened?" was her previous response to Duane's sexual prowess. Character must be desperate.

23 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Thanks for "spoiling" it.

"Is that it? What happened?" was her previous response to Duane's sexual prowess. Character must be desperate.

saw paper moon again the other night with tatum O'Neal and ryan O'Neal a marvelous movie 4 stars he beat his son though badly

To try to sum up briefly from what little I know about Texasville (via what is printed online and what other details I could rustle up) is that Jacey became a film star for a while until her career crashed and burned. She returns a bit of a wreck but also a bit warmer and wiser, and immediately takes up into an affair with old [and married] flame Dwayne (Jeff Bridges), who is an oil baron of a company about to go belly-up,  married to firey Annie Potts and has a teenage son who is a ladies man. Sonny (Timothy Bottoms) is cracking up emotionally even though he's the town mayor. Ruth (Cloris Leachman) is Dwayne's secretary. Lestor (Randy Quaid) seeks to undermine Dwayne as he is a rival businessman. Genevieve (Eileen Brennan) still works at the diner.

you mean the remake with jeff bridges again I thought it was mediocre though ** not great like the original

shehard is supposed to be a real jerk, that's why you don't see her around much any more she was incrediabally jealous of bruce willis being so huge after they did the tv show moonlighting together

On 4/12/2020 at 6:56 PM, kingrat said:

was that the film with ben gazzara, sain jack or another movie

On 4/13/2020 at 3:58 PM, CinemaInternational said:

I think what happened with the nudity is this. Movies are always supposed to be framed, so to speak. There is what would normally be projected, plus there is some extra part of the image on all four sides (top, bottom, left, right) in case the projectionist or projector messed up the image, even though these extra  parts were not supposed to be seen. My guess is that Bogdonovich originally framed the shot exposing all of the woman but not quite all of the man in front, but many theatres botched the image at the time so the man got more exposure so to speak. The botch continued to the original pan and scan videotape release (which due to the loss of width would show more up and down), but was changed for the DVD, likely back to what Bogdanovich originally intended. The reason i say this is because I have certain Roger Ebert review books at home, and some man wrote a question to Ebert about a disappearing nudity syndrome (namely Faye Dunaway in Network and even more nudity of Alice Krige in Ghost Story), and Ebert said it was likely because such things were not meant to be in the original image anyway, but just barely offscreen.

This has to be it because TCM has not flinched from showing this male nudity before: The Deer Hunter, Never Cry Wolf, Return of the Secaucus Seven, The Silence of the Lambs, Persona, Who's That Knocking at My Door, Women in Love, Medium Cool, Woodstock, Walkabout, Ali; Fear Eats the Soul, Desperate living, The Onion Field, Amistad, Under the Volcano......

do you have leonard maltin's book?

jeff bridges earned his first nomination for it too

Just now, spence said:

jeff bridges earned his first nomination for it too

the original that is  can't believe he;s 70 now!

On 4/13/2020 at 3:58 PM, CinemaInternational said:

Confirmed. The late 80s vhs does indeed reveal a bit of male genitalia when the nude actor greets Jacy at the pool party. More half than full frontal, but the camera definitely ranges a few inches lower than the dvd. 

you know I guess I'm supposed to admire Peter Bogdanavich remaining Peter Bogdanavich after being burned out as a filmmaker after so many years but I don't.

:lol:

• Like 1

On 4/14/2020 at 8:17 AM, spence said:

SHEPARD is rumored to be a real jerk

Talk about calling the kettle black, I think that's a jerky thing to say, perpetuating rumors.

VERY disappointed the only uploads of this Podcast is a trailer & intro.

Welcome to The Plot Thickens, a documentary podcast from Turner Classic Movies. Each season we'll bring you a story about the movies and the people who make them. Our first season is about a young cinephile who quickly rose to become one of Hollywood's top directors.

What does "each season" refer to?  They can't even get us the FIRST part of the story.

Thank you TCM, I enjoyed TCMs Film Festival's excellent hour long interview with Bogdanovich on the YT channel.

2 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Talk about calling the kettle black, I think that's a jerky  thing to say, perpetuating rumors.

VERY disappointed the only uploads of this Podcast is a trailer & intro.

Welcome to The Plot Thickens, a documentary podcast from Turner Classic Movies. Each season we'll bring you a story about the movies and the people who make them. Our first season is about a young cinephile who quickly rose to become one of Hollywood's top directors.

What does "each season" refer to?  They can't even get us the FIRST part of the story.

Thank you TCM, I enjoyed TCMs Film Festival's excellent hour long interview with Bogdanovich on the YT channel.

I don't ever print things that don't have a well documented story behind them TikiSoo!

do you see her around anywhere or doing things thesedays  Shelley Long according to even WOODY HARRELSON was a pill as they say to work with

But it's widely known about SHEPARD & BRUCE WILLIS, ever since he went he went through the atmosphere & she didn't