Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
David Guercio

The Plot Thickens I’m Still Peter Bogdanovich

Who else kinda thinks BOGDANOVICH looks ill?

2 hours ago, spence said:

I don't ever print things that don't have a well documented story behind them TikiSoo!

do you see her around anywhere or doing things thesedays  Shelley Long according to even WOODY HARRELSON was a pill as they say to work with

But it's widely known about SHEPARD & BRUCE WILLIS, ever since he went he went through the atmosphere & she didn't

Really, you don't post inaccurate information? Just a couple of weeks ago you posted that Jerry Stiller had died and had Alheimer's. Jerry Stiller is alive and does not have Alzheimer's. Many posters informed you that Jerry was alive. Maybe, you might want to check your info more closely. Oh btw, I think Cybil is great.,

• Thanks 2

Who’s really looking forward to the start of this tomorrow?  I sure am.  I think it will be really interesting and neat.  I’m really looking forward to it and how many are listening through Apple Podcast or which ever Podcast they have and how many are listening directly on the homepage?  I think I’ll be listening directly on the homepage for now.  I can’t wait.

Alicia Malone

@aliciamalone

·

A big congrats to producer  @acecarone

, host  @BenMank77 and the podcast team at  @TCM

on the launch of THE PLOT THICKENS! Subscribe, rate, review, do all the things!

see http://theplotthickens.tcm.com/

The Plot Thickens | Season one

"I’M STILL PETER BOGDANOVICH

Welcome to The Plot Thickens, a new documentary podcast about the movies and the people who make them. Our first season is I’m Still Peter Bogdanovich, the tale of a young cinephile who became one of Hollywood’s top directors – but soon found himself a victim of jealousy, public scorn, and a devastating crime.........."

ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! I'm kind of glad it's being released slowly, so I can savor it. Bogdanovich's story is even better than I expected!

Ben does a wonderful job narrating, and the sound production is top notch, THANK YOU!!

• Thanks 1

Bump for recommendation...

Great insights of both their careers during this time period-

cybill-shepherd-435.jpg

Thanks TCM!

• Like 1

I’m loving it as well. Ben basically is the narrator although he does speak with the people interviewed occasionally. But he doesn’t insert himself in the story too much. It’s really well done. 

• Like 1

On 5/2/2020 at 7:58 AM, TikiSoo said:

ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! I'm kind of glad it's being released slowly, so I can savor it. Bogdanovich's story is even better than I expected!

Ben does a wonderful job narrating, and the sound production is top notch, THANK YOU!!

I completely agree -- this is a fascinating and well-produced podcast.  Although I've always admired Bogdanovich's connection to and interest in Old Hollywood, I've never known much about his own background beyond the movies and books of his that I've enjoyed.  He's really had an interesting life and career.  (I've especially enjoyed the Orson Welles anecdotes.)

• Like 3

This is a great podcast.  I'm all caught up through the latest episode.  Peter Bogdanovich has had a very interesting career and life.   It's interesting how much of his early success was seemingly random.  I also loved the Orson Welles anecdotes, especially the story about him eating all the Haagen Dazs. 

Next Tuesday, the new season of You Must Remember This is premiering.  It deals with Bogdanovich's ex-wife, Polly Platt.  This season is entitled, "Polly Platt: The Invisible Woman." 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just finished season one of this Podcast today.  It was great and I’m going to listen to the bonus episode maybe tomorrow or sometime.  Ben does a really wonderful job interviewing Peter Bogdanovich and I just loved listening to all the stories and actually hearing everything in the background.  The music too and I just couldn’t wait to hear about Alfred Hitchcock.  That was great.  He didn’t like Eggs.  When I was a kid.  For a while.  I didn’t like Eggs either.  But now I do.  Did you all like it too?  I think the next Podcast I’ll try is What’s On Disney Plus.  Anyone know what the very first episode is and I might also try this new one called The Pack.  With Blair Underwood and all those people.  Blair Underwood’s Free Form Santa and host of Free Form’s Kickoff To Christmas and 25 Days Of Christmas on Free Form.  He does a really wonderful job as host.  He’s great at it.  I love it and I love him and I can’t wait to hear him on this new Podcast and I’ll look forward to season two of this TCM Podcast soon too.  Anyone know if you actually have to fill something out when you hit subscribe in purple in the Podcast app or wherever or does it just take you to the Podcast?  I listened on the Plot Thickens homepage here on TCM.com.  I haven’t subscribed yet.

I just listened to the bonus episode & noticed how much Bogdanovich's voice has changed. Haha, Howard Hawks calls him "Pete". As a young man "Pete" had a lightness & youthful curiosity to his voice, now he sounds jaded & haughty....but I like it.

What an extreme, incredible life he's had so far. I hope something comes along that excites him enough to make more art for us.

I just listened to the two bonus episodes.  The one with Howard Hawks Monday night and the one with Alfred Hitchcock last night.  Now I’m all done with it till next season and I’ll be keeping an eye for more bonus episodes too.  Hearing Howard Hawks was cool.  He had a deep voice.  He’s dead right?  They talked about all kinds of his movies.  Including Bringing Up Baby with Carey Grant and Katherine Hepburn.  One of my favorites.  Very funny movie.  The one with Alfred Hitchcock was cool too.  I was really looking forward to that one.  I’ve always wondered what it would have been like to meet Alfred Hitchcock.  So did you guys like it?  I did and does anyone know how often that email sign up pops up on the homepage?  I would like to sign up to be notified.

40 minutes ago, David Guercio said:

I just listened to the two bonus episodes.  The one with Howard Hawks Monday night and the one with Alfred Hitchcock last night.  Now I’m all done with it till next season and I’ll be keeping an eye for more bonus episodes too.  Hearing Howard Hawks was cool.  He had a deep voice.  He’s dead right?  They talked about all kinds of his movies.  Including Bringing Up Baby with Carey Grant and Katherine Hepburn.  One of my favorites.  Very funny movie.  The one with Alfred Hitchcock was cool too.  I was really looking forward to that one.  I’ve always wondered what it would have been like to meet Alfred Hitchcock.  So did you guys like it?  I did and does anyone know how often that email sign up pops up on the homepage?  I would like to sign up to be notified.

Howard Hawks died in 1977. 

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

Howard Hawks died in 1977. 

At first I couldn't understand the context here,  but I see it now.

Yea,,  Hawks is no longer alive,,,,   like for over 43 years now!

Howard Hawks - Wikipedia

10 hours ago, David Guercio said:

How do you rate and write a review on this?

On another message board, like IMDB.

• Haha 1

On 7/21/2020 at 1:08 PM, David Guercio said:

Ok.  Great.  Thank you.

Depending on what platform you're listening to the podcast on, you may be able to rate it there.  I think Apple's podcasts allow people to leave a rating. 

As a side note, you might be interested in the podcast You Must Remember This, which someone mentioned earlier here.  The podcast is reading from Polly Platt's memoirs which adds an interesting bookend to her ex-husband's TCM  podcast.  I've enjoyed listening to both.

Great.  Thank you.  I listened to the whole first season and the first two bonus episodes directly on the homepage.  Then I subscribed to it in the Podcasts app and listened to the last bonus episode in the Podcasts app.  I also signed up for the Plot Thickens Podcast newsletter too.

• Like 1

There was sort of a tease at the end of the bonus episode with Alfred Hitchcock.

(spoilers)

At the end Hitch says “let’s look at me psychologically”, and then asks “do you want this on the record or off?”  And Bogdanovich leaves that up to Hitch, who then asks them to shut off the recording equipment.

So we never hear the discussion that follows.

I guess Bogdanovich was true to his word as an interviewer, and did not reveal what Hitch said.  But I would certainly love to hear what came next!

I really enjoyed the podcast series and hope they will do another.

I have a question....why would a podcast need to "pause for a break"? Is it just an opportunity to use the music cues again? It's not like there are commercials requiring a break, nor the narrator needing to take a drink of water or compose themselves. It's all snippets of recordings edited post production.

When streaming late night hosts home shows there's also "when we come back..." breaks. Why don't they just edit the breaks out & resume? 

I think the breaks are cool.  Maybe Ben takes breaks.  Because it’s the TCM Podcast.  It’s great.  You get to hear everything that’s going on with TCM.  Lately Ben’s been talking about this new season of The Essentials with Brad Bird.  Sometimes they have different commercials.  It’s also a great Podcast.  I love it.  The music’s great too.