Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spence

Did tcm miss The Great Spencer Tracy's birthday on April 5th?

He woulda scoffed at bothering with this, very much so, but did tcm pay tribute-(I was away) to Spencer Tracy's would be 120th birthday on April 5th???

Bette Davis is usually more the focus on the same date

It doesn't look like TCM is showing either a Spencer Tracy or Bette Davis movie the entire day.

Maybe they're gun-shy now, considering the flack they get from celebrating anything at all anytime.

You know what I'd like to see in regards to BETTE DAVIS?  The complete version of DARK SECRET OF HARVEST HOME (1978-Tvm). 

The MCA Home Video VHS release from the 1980s  is just under 2 hours -- 118m., I believe.

The original version is 200m.  Quite the difference! 

It's a shame MCA didn't do what WARNER did with "Salem's Lot".  WARNER issued both the 112m. overseas theatrical version and the original long version so homevideo viewers could pick which one they wanted to buy.  (I bought the long version, btw).   

... or Gregory Peck or Walter Huston or Melvyn Douglas or Gale Storm etc...

There's a star birthday practically everyday. TCM would become the birthday channel.

Anthony Perkins was born April 4, 1932 so he could've had an 88th birthday movie celebration yesterday. 

17 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

... or Gregory Peck or Walter Huston or Melvyn Douglas or Gale Storm etc...

There's a star birthday practically everyday. TCM would become the birthday channel.

Agreed.     A more practical type of birthday tribute would be one every 10 years;  I.e. the actor would be 130 years old if still alive.

But I'm 100% OK with no birthday tributes.     Of course I don't care for birthdays since to me this is a very arbitrary  day and thus just another day.    I don't celebrate my own and haven't since I was 21  (which of course wasn't just another day). 

• Haha 1

To commemorate this great actor's birthday, I will drink a full bottle of corn **** tomorrow.

Happy birthday Mr. Tracy.

4 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Agreed.     A more practical type of birthday tribute would be one every 10 years;  I.e. the actor would be 130 years old if still alive.

But I'm 100% OK with no birthday tributes.     Of course I don't care for birthdays since to me this is a very arbitrary  day and thus just another day.    I don't celebrate my own and haven't since I was 21  (which of course wasn't just another day). 

I can see it if they pass on, or on their centennial. But,  SUTS and Star of the Month cover a lot of that ground already.

I don't like locking down the schedule to certain days. There are so many themes that they already cover i.e. foreign films, military, race, women, etc... I'd rather they take time to do those since they tend to be more interesting.

A birthday tribute will end up with the predictable films being shown. And someone will complain that their favorite from that star wasn't shown. And on and on it goes.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2020 at 1:30 PM, slaytonf said:

Maybe they're gun-shy now, considering the flack they get from celebrating anything at all anytime.

I know some stuff gets flack, but didn't know about birthday's?

Makes no sense of course

1 hour ago, spence said:

I know some stuff gets flack, but didn't know about birthday's?

Makes no sense of course

Many people don't like a full day of programming to be devote to ONE 'theme' (e.g. actor,   genre,  holiday).

While I'm not one of them (unless over done),   not liking what is perceived as a lack of variety,  makes sense to me.

As already noted I'm against birthday tributes because on most days,  there is are 'famous' actors that had a birthday.     Even if one was to limit the select to the top 50 actors,  would you really want 50 days of TCM's programming devoted just to birthday tributes?    NOT! 

if I had any chili I'd have a bowl of it to honor tracy. (without ketchup)

:)

18 Thrillers You Might Have Missed… | Jonathan Rosenbaum

13 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

if I had any chili I'd have a bowl of it to honor tracy. (without ketchup)

:)

18 Thrillers You Might Have Missed… | Jonathan Rosenbaum

COOL BEANS!   This classic is also gaining momentum in recent years as far as regular people loving it

And just think was gonna be ALAN LADD instead as McCreedy

6 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Many people don't like a full day of programming to be devote to ONE 'theme' (e.g. actor,   genre,  holiday).

While I'm not one of them (unless over done),   not liking what is perceived as a lack of variety,  makes sense to me.

As already noted I'm against birthday tributes because on most days,  there is are 'famous' actors that had a birthday.     Even if one was to limit the select to the top 50 actors,  would you really want 50 days of TCM's programming devoted just to birthday tributes?    NOT! 

They then should just give them 4  films like a GP-(Guest Programmer) gets to select