Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Swithin

The Outlaw

I'm not sure if this movie has been discussed here. Of course there is the obvious gay text (it's not even sub) but, not having seen it for a while, I just happened to switch to TCM for one minute just now, just in time to hear Thomas Mitchell as Pat Garrett utter these lines to Jack Beutel as Billy the Kid: "Nothing would make me happier than for you to keep coming."

• Like 1

Yes, there is a thread on this topic. We discussed the fact that Beutel was an off-screen interest for Hughes.

And that many of the scenes have a homoerotic quality.

screen-shot-2018-11-29-at-7-13-25-am.jpg

In the other thread, I wrote this:

"It's a classic case of bait and switch. They were baiting audiences with a straight sex object (Jane Russell) but it was a story about a gay sex object (Jack Beutel). The famous poster of Jane's cleavage continues to obfuscate this. If they had done a poster emphasizing Beutel's buttocks or his groin, it would have been too much for audiences to handle...even more scandalous."

• Like 2

In cases like this I always wonder how self-aware the filmmakers were or whether they actually didn't realize how much they were saying "the quiet part" out loud and bought into their own cover story (Jane Russell in this case). But, as TB said, it seems as though Hughes' thing for Beutel was front and center in his mind. 

• Like 1

And of course the screenwriter was Jules Furthman, who was a master of conveying subtle and not so subtle meaning between-the-lines.

• Like 2