Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Outlaw

I'm not sure if this movie has been discussed here. Of course there is the obvious gay text (it's not even sub) but, not having seen it for a while, I just happened to switch to TCM for one minute just now, just in time to hear Thomas Mitchell as Pat Garrett utter these lines to Jack Beutel as Billy the Kid: "Nothing would make me happier than for you to keep coming."

• Like 1

Yes, there is a thread on this topic. We discussed the fact that Beutel was an off-screen interest for Hughes.

And that many of the scenes have a homoerotic quality.

screen-shot-2018-11-29-at-7-13-25-am.jpg

In the other thread, I wrote this:

"It's a classic case of bait and switch. They were baiting audiences with a straight sex object (Jane Russell) but it was a story about a gay sex object (Jack Beutel). The famous poster of Jane's cleavage continues to obfuscate this. If they had done a poster emphasizing Beutel's buttocks or his groin, it would have been too much for audiences to handle...even more scandalous."

• Like 2

In cases like this I always wonder how self-aware the filmmakers were or whether they actually didn't realize how much they were saying "the quiet part" out loud and bought into their own cover story (Jane Russell in this case). But, as TB said, it seems as though Hughes' thing for Beutel was front and center in his mind. 

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...

I don't believe I've seen  this film before, I'd like to watch it. Until more recent years, many films with these themes were either not widely known, or the undertones/themes were not acknowledged; I'm finding so many gems from this genre that I'd never heard of before.

1 hour ago, Natalie Webb said:

I don't believe I've seen  this film before, I'd like to watch it. Until more recent years, many films with these themes were either not widely known, or the undertones/themes were not acknowledged; I'm finding so many gems from this genre that I'd never heard of before.

It's in the public domain...there are decent prints of THE OUTLAW on YouTube.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, TopBilled said:

It's in the public domain...there are decent prints of THE OUTLAW on YouTube.

Thank you! I'll have to search that up on Youtube then and give it a watch this week. I'm not sure if there's already a thread on it, but I think we should start a thread about classic films available on Youtube, particularly lesser known gems or hard to find films. I've run across several silent films on Youtube before, and early Pre-code films of the early 30s.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Natalie Webb said:

Thank you! I'll have to search that up on Youtube then and give it a watch this week. I'm not sure if there's already a thread on it, but I think we should start a thread about classic films available on Youtube, particularly lesser known gems or hard to find films. I've run across several silent films on Youtube before, and early Pre-code films of the early 30s.

Yes, good idea. You would have to decide where to create such a thread. And it would require occasional checking in and maintenance because some films that are on YouTube today get pulled tomorrow due to copyright strikes.

Unless you are just going to post which ones are available on YouTube for rental or purchase.

The public domain films, like THE OUTLAW, of course will not get pulled because they are not affected by copyright issues.

• Like 1
On 2/18/2021 at 3:20 PM, TopBilled said:

Yes, good idea. You would have to decide where to create such a thread. And it would require occasional checking in and maintenance because some films that are on YouTube today get pulled tomorrow due to copyright strikes.

Unless you are just going to post which ones are available on YouTube for rental or purchase.

The public domain films, like THE OUTLAW, of course will not get pulled because they are not affected by copyright issues.

Yes, I agree! Many times I have been excited to find a film on Youtube only to discover that it has been taken down. Two examples that come to mind are Beyond The Rocks (1922) and Massacre (1934). Both films I had, at one time, found on Youtube, and both were eventually removed (or atleast I can no longer find them. Although that is not saying much, given my extremely low technological skill >.<)

7 hours ago, Natalie Webb said:

Yes, I agree! Many times I have been excited to find a film on Youtube only to discover that it has been taken down. Two examples that come to mind are Beyond The Rocks (1922) and Massacre (1934). Both films I had, at one time, found on Youtube, and both were eventually removed (or atleast I can no longer find them. Although that is not saying much, given my extremely low technological skill >.<)

Yeah, sometimes you have to keep checking. They get uploaded, taken down due to copyright strikes, then uploaded again.