Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spence

Are there any true movie comedy greats today?

I somewhat already listed this on somebody else's post, but who today stands out on the silver-screen, like we had CHAPLIN, KEATON, LLOYD, MARX BROS, STAN & OLLIE, W.C., THREE STOOGES, ABBOTT & COSTELLO, MARTIN & LEWIS,etc?

Or even THE BOWERY BOYS?

There are a few people that make me laugh, but who needs the headache of listing them here ON A CLASSIC MOVIE WEBSITE MESSAGE BOARD. I’m not in the mood to be vilified just because I find certain people funny. BTW, the only modern movies I watch regularly are comedies. 

Okay, I’ll list one. Melissa McCarthy

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, HelenBaby2 said:

There are a few people that make me laugh, but who needs the headache of listing them here ON A CLASSIC MOVIE WEBSITE MESSAGE BOARD. I’m not in the mood to be vilified just because I find certain people funny. BTW, the only modern movies I watch regularly are comedies. 

like her a lot uh   she's now on forbe's annual highest pd actresses list, no 1 this past year thought was scarlett Johansson and was up for a s. actress Oscar for bridesmaids

I'm also a Melissa McCarthy fan.  She's great.  And don't forget that she won an Emmy for Mike and Molly.

6 minutes ago, Terrence1 said:

I'm also a Melissa McCarthy fan.  She's great.  And don't forget that she won an Emmy for Mike and Molly.

thanx

Somebody just bad-mouthed Will Ferrell on another thread, but I would have to say nobody has made me laugh harder in the last 20 years than he has.

1 minute ago, sewhite2000 said:

Somebody just bad-mouthed Will Ferrell on another thread, but I would have to say nobody has made me laugh harder in the last 20 years than he has.

I like Will Ferrell as well. Not everything he's done is great or even good, but he's had several films that I found very funny, and his production company has handled a few others that I've liked. 

11 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I like Will Ferrell as well. Not everything he's done is great or even good, but he's had several films that I found very funny, and his production company has handled a few others that I've liked. 

I love Anchorman.  That movie cracks me up. 

"My apartment smells of rich mahogany.  I own many leather-bound books."

• Haha 1

Yeah ANCHORMAN ($147m.) is a fun one & the famous COWBELL skit opposite CHRISTOPHER WALKEN on SNL is great

See, him the late PHIL HARTMAN were the new breed of SNL, trying to get away from the drug rep they had, but in it's heyday with JOHN BELUSHI, AYKROYD, BILL MURRAY & others

RECORD HOLDER for most times as a guest host is A. Baldwin & Steve Martin 2nd

Boy, Phil Hartman was a genius whom I didn't fully appreciate while he was still alive. In my younger more callow days, he kinda struck me as the requisite middle-aged guy to play all the dads and authority figures on Saturday Night Live. But Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer? Frankenstein? The Sinatra Group? And his characters on The Simpsons and News Radio? Genius! I believe he was also the co-creator of the whole Pee-Wee Herman concept, though and Paul Reubens I guess ultimately had a parting of the ways.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Boy, Phil Hartman was a genius whom I didn't fully appreciate while he was still alive. In my younger more callow days, he kinda struck me as the requisite middle-aged guy to play all the dads and authority figures on Saturday Night Live. But Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer? Frankenstein? The Sinatra Group? And his characters on The Simpsons and News Radio? Genius! I believe he was also the co-creator of the whole Pee-Wee Herman concept, though and Paul Reubens I guess ultimately had a parting of the ways.

Yeah, he got it bad, at least he was asleep at the time, huh  He did an excellent SINATRA as you listed, never pd much attention to him until that role & it was down here in Sarasota, Fl where Pee Wee-(Paul Reubens) had his infamous adult movie encounter with the cops  Pee Wee certainly didn't look like his image in the mug shot

I would also say this about Will Ferrell. He was excellent in a dramatic role in Stranger than Fiction, an overlooked film in my opinion.

9 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

I would also say this about Will Ferrell. He was excellent in a dramatic role in Stranger than Fiction, an overlooked film in my opinion.

went to that one as well/reviewed pretty good (**1/2)

I saw him in Downhill with Julia Louis Dreyfuss just before all the movie theaters closed. I wouldn't exactly call it a dark comedy, but it's a muted comedy, a remake of a European film. A little bit of a different role for him. He's still playing sort of his stereotypical man-child but in a more realistic way. I assume it's on streaming by now and recommend it. He and Dreyfuss were promoting the film heavily. The even presented an award together at the Oscars. But I don't think it did much box office.

8 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I saw him in Downhill with Julia Louis Dreyfuss just before all the movie theaters closed. I wouldn't exactly call it a dark comedy, but it's a muted comedy, a remake of a European film. A little bit of a different role for him. He's still playing sort of his stereotypical man-child but in a more realistic way. I assume it's on streaming by now and recommend it. He and Dreyfuss were promoting the film heavily. The even presented an award together at the Oscars. But I don't think it did much box office.

you mean Farrell, that new release was never even on the radar for some reason He had his weaker one's too BEWITCHED & wasn't he in THE STEPFORD WIVES don't think so, but positive he was in BEWITCHED with NICOLE KIDMAN (**)

Though to me nowhere near the dynamo that JOHN BELUSHI was   VOLCANIC!

Never forget the day he just up & died in l982 at THE CHATEAU MARMONT-(got to go by it a lot on tour) & immediately called my friends & told them JOHN BELUSHI just died, well, they thought it was one of my gags at first

De Niro & Robin Williams had stopped by his bungalow earlier but found the girl too trashy& he was hanging with & left   Think her name is CATHY EVELYN SMITH

Though also gone far too soon I think JOHN CANDY was great & at just about anything he tried

Aykroyd & his pals say he wasn't addicted to anything except smoking & most of all food

He weighed over 335-350lbs when they found CANDY dead in bed of a massive heart attack, filming a lousy picture called WAGON'S EAST

Who else loved THE BLUES BROTHERS, not at first as just an SN skit but the entire l980 movie?\

It made $54m. but at that time was called incredibally $expensive$ due to the massive amount of cars

& hate to say it speaking of sequels but l998's BLUES BROTHERS 2000 was alright (**1/2) ($18m.)

Mostly due to it's music though & not comedy like the 1st

19 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

WHO EVER SAW WILL FARRELL & CHRISTOPHER WALKEN IN THE FAMOUS COWBELLS SKIT???

If not I;m positive you can locate it online, I did a couple times   If you look closely-(not here) but in other SNKL skits you can clearly see WALKEN reading his lines off stage

His real name y the way is RONALD WALKEN & just turned 77

& also check out online a great video that rappers just idolized with WAKEN-(actually a song & dance man, his idol being Gene Kelly)

Called FATBOY SLIM, he doesn't even say a word & is all by himself throughout, but it's tremendous!

Just rewatched it again the other day saved it in favorite's

WHO ARE THE ONLY 3 SNL CAST MEMBERS TO LATER BE UP FOR ACADEMY AWARDS?

To me they still don't have them like THE STUDIO-SYSTEM though Like Ballclubs they were  Who plsyed for whom,etc

CHAPLIN-(Mack Sennett, others & later just built his own DREAM FACTORY still there on La Brea Avenue in mid TINSEL-TOWN, turned into Jim Henson prods & there is still a huge statue of KERMIT THE FROG on top)

KEATON (started out on his own then L.B. Mayer hated comics at MGM & cast him in fluff & then you an see BUSTER is loaded after awhile playing 2nd fiddle to Durante at Metro  SINATRA got fired from there for once making a joke to L.B. at the race track about a woman as just 1 example)

LLOYD-(don't know what DREAM FACTORY he was with?)

STAN & OLLIE (Hal Roach)

MARX BROS (-played for Paramount & then M-G-M, but only due to Thalberg)

W.C. FIELDS (Paramount & then had an alcoholic breakdown & went to Universal)

THE THREE STOOGES (were at Columbia fir 25yrs Moe who ran the business end thought it only right despite his 2 bros dying & Harry Cohn, to finish out the entire contract Back then COLUMBIA was the bottom of the barrel in the industry called Poverty Row)

ABBOTT & COSTELLO (almost always Universal)

DEAN MARTIN & JERRY LEWIS (Paramount) & so on

6 hours ago, spence said:

I somewhat already listed this on somebody else's post, but who today stands out on the silver-screen, like we had CHAPLIN, KEATON, LLOYD, MARX BROS, STAN & OLLIE, W.C., THREE STOOGES, ABBOTT & COSTELLO, MARTIN & LEWIS,etc?

Or even THE BOWERY BOYS?

Robin Williams was great until his passing. RIP.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HelenBaby2 said:

That's seems to be the world we live in. Have an opinion that goes against the norm, or isn't predictable and they jump down your throat.

3 hours ago, spence said:

To me they still don't have them like THE STUDIO-SYSTEM though Like Ballclubs they were  Who plsyed for whom,etc

CHAPLIN-(Mack Sennett, others & later just built his own DREAM FACTORY still there on La Brea Avenue in mid TINSEL-TOWN, turned into Jim Henson prods & there is still a huge statue of KERMIT THE FROG on top)

KEATON (started out on his own then L.B. Mayer hated comics at MGM & cast him in fluff & then you an see BUSTER is loaded after awhile playing 2nd fiddle to Durante at Metro  SINATRA got fired from there for once making a joke to L.B. at the race track about a woman as just 1 example)

LLOYD-(don't know what DREAM FACTORY he was with?)

STAN & OLLIE (Hal Roach)

MARX BROS (-played for Paramount & then M-G-M, but only due to Thalberg)

W.C. FIELDS (Paramount & then had an alcoholic breakdown & went to Universal)

THE THREE STOOGES (were at Columbia fir 25yrs Moe who ran the business end thought it only right despite his 2 bros dying & Harry Cohn, to finish out the entire contract Back then COLUMBIA was the bottom of the barrel in the industry called Poverty Row)

ABBOTT & COSTELLO (almost always Universal)

DEAN MARTIN & JERRY LEWIS (Paramount) & so on

That's the safe route. Choose artists who have been lauded as funny for decades, even centuries.

What exactly would a " True Comedy Great" be ?

Has anyone mentioned Bob Hope? As a kid, I only knew him from those TV variety specials, and while I dutifully watched them because I thought they were of some importance, I was pretty meh on them. But I've since seen a number of his movies from his earlier career, and he was often quite funny.

Ditto Burns and Allen in their brief joint movie careers.