Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spence

Are there any true movie comedy greats today?

21 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Has anyone mentioned Bob Hope? As a kid, I only knew him from those TV variety specials, and while I dutifully watched them because I thought they were of some importance, I was pretty meh on them. But I've since seen a number of his movies from his earlier career, and he was often quite funny.

Ditto Burns and Allen in their brief joint movie careers.

I somehow forgot him too?   Even solo he lead the annual $Box-0ffice$ for 1949 & holds the record by far as all-time most Oscar host with 15-18  years   Love him or hate him, you can easily see THE WOODMAN WOODY ALLEN in his performances  Matter of fact yrs ago-(40) WOODY said his ideal weekend would be to simply watch BOB HOPE movies   I read that in a comic book I used to own but lost it over the yrs

Look at BANANAS, PLAY IT AGAIN, SAM, LOVE AND DEATH for just a few examples

HOPE really selected a memorable yet off eat final resting place on a stage-(I forget right now where though)

37 minutes ago, spence said:

Who likes Pauly Shore?

Pauly Shore? Has he been relevant in the last 30 years? 

1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

A little of Pauly went a long way, but he did make me laugh sometimes.

I love Encino Man. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HelenBaby2 said:

There are a few people that make me laugh, but who needs the headache of listing them here ON A CLASSIC MOVIE WEBSITE MESSAGE BOARD. I’m not in the mood to be vilified just because I find certain people funny. BTW, the only modern movies I watch regularly are comedies. 

Okay, I’ll list one. Melissa McCarthy

I loved her in Bridesmaids. I always laugh when she drives past Kristen Wiig on the road and her van is full of puppies.

”How many of those (the puppies) did you take?”

”I took 9. I may have been more comfortable with 6.” 

1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

Has anyone mentioned Bob Hope? As a kid, I only knew him from those TV variety specials, and while I dutifully watched them because I thought they were of some importance, I was pretty meh on them. But I've since seen a number of his movies from his earlier career, and he was often quite funny.

Ditto Burns and Allen in their brief joint movie careers.

Hope is okay, but I think Jack Benny is funnier. I’ve caught episodes of his show on Sirius on occasion. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, spence said:

WHO EVER SAW WILL FARRELL & CHRISTOPHER WALKEN IN THE FAMOUS COWBELLS SKIT???

If not I;m positive you can locate it online, I did a couple times   If you look closely-(not here) but in other SNKL skits you can clearly see WALKEN reading his lines off stage

His real name y the way is RONALD WALKEN & just turned 77

I’ve seen the Cowbell sketch. I saw it when it was new.

My favorite part is when Will Ferrell is playing the cowbell a little too enthusiastically and keeps running into Chris Parnell. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Hope is okay, but I think Jack Benny is funnier. I’ve caught episodes of his show on Sirius on occasion. 

I almost put him in my previous post as well. I haven't seen too much of him, but he makes me laugh in what little I've seen of him on TCM.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I almost put him in my previous post as well. I haven't seen too much of him, but he makes me laugh in what little I've seen of him on TCM.

There’s also a really funny interview with him and Dick Cavett. 

Of course, his episode of “The Lucy Show” involving Lucy Carmichael and showing Jack his new bank vault is hilarious. 

• Thanks 1

to me personally and especially in the l970's and '80's woody allen

Responding to the OP,  are there any great movie comedians today? I take that to mean comedians who make several movies-even series- like the classics.

There are people who love seeing any Tyler Perry movie.  Steve Martin's movies are also very popular. Chevy Chase's Lampoon series are popular, he's still with us, although I'm not sure he's still making movies.

Mel Brooks, Woody Allen, Carl Reiner, they are all comedians who have a wonderful body of work in film the past few decades.  So I'd say, yes, there ARE "comedy greats" today, even knowing the term itself is subjective/personal taste.

15 hours ago, spence said:

WHO ARE THE ONLY 3 SNL CAST MEMBERS TO LATER BE UP FOR ACADEMY AWARDS?

Good trivia question there.  Not knowing, but guessing...Dan Akroyd, Nora Dunn, Kristen Wiig.  I was leaning toward Bill Hader for his supporting role in 'Nebraska', but I don't think he got nominated.  Bill Murray could be a possibility too?

Akyroyd for Driving Miss Daisy, Murray for Lost in Translation and E. Murphy for Dreamgirls

Strange (well maybe not?),  that for the men it appears the 'true movie comics' of TODAY are all over 60 if not 80!

• Like 1

Uh.....

Aykroyd is a good comic actor, when DOING a comedy role, which WASN'T the case in DRIVING MISS DAISY.  And his doing a "straight" role in that was very good too. 

As actors, those who got their "breakthrough" in comedy sometimes wish to stretch their drama legs and some do well and others don't and forget it.   Those who succeeded were(IMHO) Robin Williams, Steve Martin,  Jack Black,  Tom Hanks.  To me, one guy who does comedy well and doesn't seem to mind if the laughs come at his expense is KEVIN JAMES

Sepiatone

As for the answer to the Oscar question, Dan Aykroyd, Eddie Murphy, Laurie Metcalf, Robert Downey Jr., Joan Cusack, Bill Murray, and Kristen Wiig have all been Oscar nominated after being cast members on SNL. Randy Quaid was nominated before being an SNL cast member.

Ah. Spence said three, so I stopped thinking after I got to three. I forgot about Downey and Cusack's brief tenures. Laurie Metcalf I had no idea was ever on the show.  Wiig's nomination I don't remember. Bridesmaids

Just now, sewhite2000 said:

Ah. Spence said three, so I stopped thinking after I got to three. I forgot about Downey and Cusack's brief tenures. Laurie Metcalf I had no idea was ever on the show.  Wiig's nomination I don't remember. Bridesmaids

Yes, she was nominated for Best Screenplay for Bridesmaids.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Ah. Spence said three, so I stopped thinking after I got to three. 

This is the fourth or fifth time he's posted this same question, and I've answered him with the total number each time, but he still keeps posting "3".

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

There’s also a really funny interview with him and Dick Cavett. 

Of course, his episode of “The Lucy Show” involving Lucy Carmichael and showing Jack his new bank vault is hilarious. 

caught that episode many yrs back

bill murray for what about bob.

dan Aykroyd has let a priceless opportunity pass him by during these trump years not to be doing one of his most hilarious snl characters

a trump supporter without a doubt.

he's just packaging what the voters want."

Saturday Night Live" Candice Bergen/Frank Zappa (TV Episode 1976 ...