Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NewYorkGuy

Blackboard Jumble - Cinemascope Cartoon in Pan and Scan

Sigh.  This morning's Saturday morning programming opened with "Blackboard Jumble" from 1957.  The opening credits and end title were in Cinemascope but the cartoon itself was shown as I've titled this topic, in pan and scan.   There's a Tom & Jerry cartoon I've seen on TCM shown the same way.

I don't know about others, but I consider things like this at odds with TCM's "uncut" advertising.  The question is, Why?  It was an MGM cartoon so I'd think there wouldn't be rights issues.

I've seen a few Tom & Jerry cartoons on the BOOMERANG Network that were originally shown to theaters in CinemaScope but it seems only the pan-and-scan versions -- or whatever you'd like to call them -- were distributed to television and cable programmers.  Like BARBEQUE BRAWL, for example, is a CinemaScope 'Tom & Jerry' cartoon.  To date, I've yet to see a T&J cartoon in its original CinemaScope ratio.  

I agree. Not only that, but they aired the computer colorized version of Popeye Presents  Eugene the Jeep instead of the original black and white  version that’s on DVD and the Boomerang streaming service.

I hope they air the  original black and white  version of Problem Pappy in two weeks. (and other shorts soon after)

Either way, the colorized version airing was just a mistake.