Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Faith Dane has died aged 96. Played Miss Mazeppa in Gypsy

So sorry to hear this.  As a youngster, in the early 1960’s, I found a found a copy of the Gypsy film soundtrack lp in the cutout bin at our local Arlan’s discount department store.  I took that thing home and played the hell out of it for years.  From the get-go, the You Gotta Have a Gimmick number was a favorite  of this kid from the corn belt.  It was a few years before I got to see the film version on tv.  When I finally connected the  visuals with the recorded version of the song I loved so much,  it was unforgettable.   Mazeppa, Tessie Tura, and, Electra, each with their own “gimmick”, coaching the young Gypsy for her entry into the world of burlesque in a brassy, bawdy showstopper.  All these years, and many musicals later, Gypsy remains at the top of my list.  Rest In Peace, Faith!

• Like 1

The "Gimmick" number was absolutely a standout.  She was a high point in a musical which was itself a high point. "If you're gonna bump it, bump it with a trumpet" is actually good advice for life. I honestly don't know a lot about her later career but it seems to me she would have been ideal to anchor one of those women-centric 70's-80's TV sitcoms, where sheer brass ruled.  The quote from her mayoral campaign about Washington being the business brothel of the world, making Las Vegas look like the Vatican is priceless and so on the mark. R.I.P.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about her passing. I'm guessing that the photo was a publicity shot from the original Broadway production.  I say that because, the strippers'  movie costumes  were designed not to show the performer's belly button, which was a definite no-no in  movies at the time..  My how times have changed.

• Thanks 1