Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Coronavirus Film Festival -- movies that suddenly became relevant!

Since COVID-19 and quarantine are on my mind, it colors everything I watch. So here are some movies I watched lately that suddenly became really appropriate to Our Times.

WHAT'S SO BAD ABOUT FEELING GOOD?

This is about a massive virus that spreads around New York! :o But in this case the virus makes you really happy. Naturally the government wants to stop it but Mary Tyler Moore and George Peppard go on a crusade to spread the virus to everyone they see. This movie contains very familiar sights such as New Yorkers wearing face masks everywhere they go, including fashionable surgical masks on mannequins in shop windows.

a21f59b4eb261a2c58f7454e7b318afb.jpg

ANT MAN AND THE WASP begins with Paul Rudd trying to entertain himself and his daughter while in quarantine :o --sound familiar?

maxresdefault.jpg

POIROT: "The Disappearance of Mr Davenheim" shows Poirot solving a crime without leaving the house, including a very familiar scene in which he almost goes outside, then remembers he can't.

97b53581c29eb606727c918eed322899b3cbe27d

Obviously this makes me sympathize with wartime movies where people can't leave home because they are under attack or in hiding, such as MRS MINIVER or THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANK. Our quarantine obviously is nowhere near that bad, but for once in my life I can sympathize with their cabin fever!

mrs-miniver-1942-mgm.jpg

What other movies are about our coronavirus predicament, without meaning to be? SHARE!!!

• Like 4

I'd like to see the 1974 Tv movie "The Missing Are Deadly".  It's one of those TVM's that's not been released to homevideo in any format (otherwise I'd had have bought a copy to watch!). 

In the meantime, I'm going to grill some Wuhan Virus Burgers on my handy dandy COVID-19 GRILL.  This grill is unique -- it not only cooks your meat it burns your face off.   :)

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

MV5BMTQ5NTI2NTI4NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjk2

Do we know if anyone has managed to get pregnant after contracting Covid-19?

never heard of it yet? check out my post about Madonna knowing people with it though, but not her

1 minute ago, Peebs said:

28 Days Later... (2002) - IMDb   

that will smith film I am legend was good those zombies made the walking dead one's look boring

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I Am Legend, Richard Matheson's book in its various incarnations:

The Last Man on Earth (1964), Vincent Price, Franca Bettoia, Emma Danielli.

The Omega Man (1971), Charlton Heston, Rosalind Cash.

I Am Legend (2007), Will Smith, Alice Braga.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

VIRUS  by Kinji Fukasaku (1981).  Glenn Ford is in this one adding to the tally of Canadians playing American Presidents.

I have it on my Amazon, as I remember it from 80's HBO as starting out as a cheesy 70's-Japanese disaster movie with the American-cameo presidents, and then, once they get to Antarctica, the ending turning into some artsy Kurosawa film.  What happened in between, I'm...still not sure.  I may have to watch this now.

8 hours ago, LonesomePolecat said:

WHAT'S SO BAD ABOUT FEELING GOOD?

I've WANTED to watch this since the days of local TV stations, but the movie's MIA status has become legendary...Does anyone know where it is?  Warner Archive??

57 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

The Omega Man (1971), Charlton Heston, Rosalind Cash.

I Am Legend (2007), Will Smith, Alice Braga.

Seeing the flashback scenes of Anthony Zerbe in "Omega" as the national TV newscaster pretentiously covering the outbreak, before he became leader of the Black Zombie Panthers, there's a LOT of CV material there.  (Or, as I remember joking when they showed this at our all-night college-town sci-fi festival some years ago, "Wow, Dan Rather's really gone over the edge, this time...")

The Will Smith version originally wanted, and later cut, an entire subplot where the pandemic panic starts an entire religious movement for the population to think the disease is "God's punishment" (and snarky-hipster Smith, of course, is the rationalist doctor who sees through such nonsense), and graffiti of "God Still Loves Us" was supposed to appear all across the ruins of NYC, as reminders of those last panicky days--In the final cut, that whole subplot was reduced to one line of dialogue.  Back in the 00's days when studios were just experimenting with online-viral marketing, Warner wanted people to take Instagrams of real-life God Still Loves Us graffiti, to post on their "real" website, and....nobody got it.  For a while, the site attracted fundamentalist Christians, and then, after people found out it was from the movie, the site became a hangout for virus-Zombie fan-cosplay photos.  Okay, so much for that idea.  😄

• Like 1
1 hour ago, spence said:

that will smith film I am legend was good those zombies made the walking dead one's look boring

I've never seen the Will Smith version just the earlier versions.   Have you ever seen 28 Days Later?  

2 hours ago, slaytonf said:

The Last Man on Earth (1964), Vincent Price, Franca Bettoia, Emma Danielli..

HA!  Maybe he'll run across THIS person?  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Peebs said:

I've never seen the Will Smith version just the earlier versions.   Have you ever seen 28 Days Later?  

As a big fan of the source novel, I thought the Will Smith movie was just utterly dreadful. The CGI creatures were just dumb and silly. The Vincent Price version is the most faithful, while Omega Man has its cheesy charms. 

I really like 28 Days Later, and the sequel, too.

I would also recommend another pandemic/end-of-the-world movie, Carriers (2009).

carriers-promo.jpg

• Like 5
1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

I really like 28 Days Later, and the sequel, too.

I had no idea that there was a sequel-- 28 Weeks Later (2007) .  Hmmm,  I'll have to look for that. Thanks for mentioning it!

2 hours ago, Peebs said:

never saw it yet

In regards to WHAT'S SO BAD ABOUT FEELING GOOD? (1968) it was a Universal Picture.  I have a ropey VHS copy of it -- more like a-copy-of-a-copy in point of fact -- taken from what looked to be a mid-1990s 'Comedy Central' broadcast.  Somebody taped it and I got mine from 'Robert's Rare Videos' in Canada.  The picture quality and sound aren't great, but it's watchable enough.   

I also wish I knew if Universal still had the rights to this movie or what happened to it.

Two more UNIVERSAL PICTURES from the late 1960s that seem to have vanished off the planet:

P.J. (1968)  starring George Peppard, Raymond Burr and Gayle Hunnicutt.  This aired on TV in the 1980s on TBS; I have a *very* ropey copy of the television version of "P.J." which is missing 90% of the violence and re-arranges the order of at least 1 scene.  It's better than nothing -- but not by much!

DON'T JUST STAND THERE! (1968)  starring Robert Wagner, Mary Tyler Moore and Glynis Johns.  Another Universal movie that, to my knowledge, hasn't been seen since James K. Polk was President (ok, so I'm exaggerating a lil' bit). 

NOTES:  Mary Tyler Moore had signed a 5-picture deal with Universal in 1966 and the five movies she made for Universal were THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE, WHAT'S SO BAD ABOUT FEELING GOOD?, DON'T JUST STAND THERE!, RUN A CROOKED MILE (1969-UK TVM) and CHANGE OF HABIT.   

Another two UNIVERAL PICTURES movies George Peppard made are still rather hard to locate as far as I can tell:  HOUSE OF CARDS (1968) and ONE MORE TRAIN TO ROB (1971). 

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, slaytonf said:

The Last Man on Earth (1964), Vincent Price, Franca Bettoia, Emma Danielli

Funny you should mention this. I told my boss the other day that people are out and about walking their dogs and whatnot, but they all have the appearances of zombies. No, I said they look like the actors from  Night of the Living Dead. Blank faces. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Mr. Gorman said:

In regards to WHAT'S SO BAD ABOUT FEELING GOOD? (1968) it was a Universal Picture.  I have a ropey VHS copy of it -- more like a-copy-of-a-copy in point of fact -- taken from what looked to be a mid-1990s 'Comedy Central' broadcast.  Somebody taped it and I got mine from 'Robert's Rare Videos' in Canada.  The picture quality and sound aren't great, but it's watchable enough.   

I also wish I knew if Universal still had the rights to this movie or what happened to it.

I also have only seen that bad copy of a bad copy taped off comedy central, and it's usually online circulating-- on youtube or vimeo or dailymotion, whichever. It's the only version I've ever been able to see, but it's better than nothing.

Sometimes being quarantined for months has a happy ending, as in SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS. After being stuck in the mountains for months on end, thanks to an avalanche, everyone gets married. Only in The West, folks!

5ade8e73a915d5242451dc0a90a52398.jpg

• Like 3