Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LonesomePolecat

Coronavirus Film Festival -- movies that suddenly became relevant!

Recommended Posts

Covid is making for a memorable election that is greatly dividing our communities. This reminds me of another memorable election when Grover Cleveland was running against Benjamin Harrison in 1888 -- Cleveland won the popular vote, but Harrison won the electoral college vote. It was portrayed in the Disney movie THE ONE AND ONLY GENUINE ORIGINAL FAMILY BAND through the lens of a family who moves to the newly settled Dakotas. The last chunk of the movie is set on the election day with multiple songs and dances, one called "That's Politics", and shows the community split down the middle and getting into a big Disney-type fight over who they like better. I confess this movie is the only reason I know anything about this historic event.

41504.jpg

A13LQ+oF3lL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, EricJ said:

On the news, or TV, you may have noticed the new Pandemic-era business "handshake" for those without gloves or sanitizers is to bump fully-clothed elbows, at a respectable social distance:

image.jpg

We can credit this discovery to the fine work accidentally pioneered by Dr. Frederic Frahnkensteen and his fiancé...Taffeta, darling!

6dfc7b9b204a5b2c43ac6b1c42c4c8f2.jpg

This is AMAZING!!! I totally forgot!!! ūü§£

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IN regards to THE ONE AND ONLY, GENUINE, ORIGINAL FAMILY BAND . . . that was another of those Disney movies that was hacked up.  Just like THE HAPPIEST MILLIONAIRE, BEDKNOBS & BROOMSTICKS and PETE'S DRAGON.        

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr. Gorman said:

IN regards to THE ONE AND ONLY, GENUINE, ORIGINAL FAMILY BAND . . . that was another of those Disney movies that was hacked up.  Just like THE HAPPIEST MILLIONAIRE, BEDKNOBS & BROOMSTICKS and PETE'S DRAGON.        

On a "We miss Obama!" Twitter discussion--about how at least ONE president knew how to be classy, nationally beloved, and prepare competently for a disease outbreak--I was joking about the fact that Grover Cleveland managed to demonstrate that a US president can be elected for two non-consecutive terms, especially if his successor in the middle screws up.  (Not sure if the Constitution's since changed that, but...)

However, I don't know how many would have remembered "Let's put it over, with Grover..."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AS far as I know a President can be elected to two non-consecutive terms.  I believe it was the 22nd Amendment that limited Presidents to winning twice after FDR broke the 'Gentleman's Agreement' of sorts that Presidents who won the Presidency twice don't run again as no other President prior to FDR had served more than two terms.  I think it was during FDR's tenure in office that the 'lame duck' period between the election and the swearing-in was reduced.  Inauguration Day had been March 4th and was changed to January 20th in 1937.  As it remains to this day. 

Anyway, I'm cooking some Wuhan Virus Brand Hot Dogs on my grille tomorrow.  These are 'Special Imports'!  They're not made out of pork, beef or turkey.  They're made from BAT.  Yummy!  :blink:  BAT DOGS! 

I'm having baked beans and potato chips with them, too!  I hope my face doesn't fall off.   :ph34r:  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Anyway, I'm cooking some Wuhan Virus Brand Hot Dogs on my grille tomorrow.  These are 'Special Imports'!  They're not made out of pork, beef or turkey.  They're made from BAT.  Yummy!  :blink:  BAT DOGS! 

 

Lf0udhi.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MV5BMWNlZDY0NjktZjRkMC00MzEzLWE3MzAtZjVj

A doctor's already-shaky marriage is tested to an even greater extent when he has to contend with a smallpox epidemic.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

MV5BMWNlZDY0NjktZjRkMC00MzEzLWE3MzAtZjVj

A doctor's already-shaky marriage is tested to an even greater extent when he has to contend with a smallpox epidemic.

That's a good one! It reminds me of Ronald Colman trying to cure the bubonic plague in ARROWSMITH. He goes to the West Indies where there is an outbreak, but not all the main characters make it out alive... (spoiler alert!)

arrowsmith_5-1024x863.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Anyway, I'm cooking some Wuhan Virus Brand Hot Dogs on my grille tomorrow.  These are 'Special Imports'!  They're not made out of pork, beef or turkey.  They're made from BAT.  Yummy!  :blink:  BAT DOGS! 

I'm having baked beans and potato chips with them, too!  I hope my face doesn't fall off.   :ph34r:  

Why not Bat Burgers?

Halloween-Bat-Burger-1024x745.jpg

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like a lot of other people, I'm actually baking bread right now, something I never did "B.C." (which is what our family calls the period "Before Covid"), so my lockdown baking leads me to this title:

our-daily-bread-poster.jpg?w=584

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So YOU'RE the reason there's no flour on the grocery store shelves!¬†ūüôā

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fangs a lot! 

I mean, Thanks a lot, o Lonesome Polecat for mentioning the joys of munching on fleshy bat burgers!  Umm, gooood!  :)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LonesomePolecat said:

Like a lot of other people, I'm actually baking bread right now, something I never did "B.C." (which is what our family calls the period "Before Covid"), so my lockdown baking leads me to this title:

our-daily-bread-poster.jpg?w=584

Have you been able to find yeast?

I have one packet left and I'm saving it for something that I can make competently.  No experiments until yeast is readily available.

I found flour pretty easily.  But last week, I went to buy cake flour and it was gone! I had to make my own cake flour to bake an angel food cake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

Have you been able to find yeast?

I have one packet left and I'm saving it for something that I can make competently.  No experiments until yeast is readily available.

I found flour pretty easily.  But last week, I went to buy cake flour and it was gone! I had to make my own cake flour to bake an angel food cake.

Had stores of flour and other dry foods in case of emergencies that I naively thought would be earthquakes or fires. (Ha ha ha, we were so cute back then.) And back in late February, "B.C.", when everyone else started panic buying eggs and water bottles, I bought a lot of yeast. I also figured out how to make my own sourdough starter, so I'll have to do that when the yeast runs out, since it's more precious than gold apparently. (Think we'll abandon the gold standard and move to the toiler paper standard?)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GOt me thinking of movies about cooking, which all show "comfort food" bringing people together:

BABETTE'S FEAST

web-babettes-feast-still-nordisk-film.jp

JULIE AND JULIA

Viewer_JulieJulia.jpg

RATATOUILLE

ratatouille540_wide-85569cd1284ee0f88e65

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, LonesomePolecat said:

GOt me thinking of movies about cooking, which all show "comfort food" bringing people together:

BABETTE'S FEAST

web-babettes-feast-still-nordisk-film.jp

JULIE AND JULIA

Viewer_JulieJulia.jpg

RATATOUILLE

ratatouille540_wide-85569cd1284ee0f88e65

 

Then there‚Äôs something like ‚ÄúSweeney Todd‚ÄĚ where Miss Lovett bakes people into meat pies‚ÄĒcomfort baking at its best! Lol.¬†

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MV5BNTY5NzM2YzQtZDQ5ZS00M2RlLWJmOTItMWFk

Matt Corbin, a vacationing magazine writer, takes a fishing trip to Minnesota, and stumbles across a lake in which all the fish have mysteriously died. The locals are tight-lipped about it, but Corbin learns that a group of former-Nazis-turned-Communists have purchased a lodge on an island in the middle of the fish-killing lake, and have built some kind of laboratory. Never one to pass up a chance to sell a story to a magazine, Matt decides to investigate. His only ally is Janet Keller, the sister of the local doctor who has been caught up in whatever those nefarious Commie-Nazis are up to. What they are up to, with Soviet financing, is the development of diseases to use in bacteriological warfare against the United States, starting right there in Minnesota.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bogie56 said:

What they are up to, with Soviet financing, is the development of diseases to use in bacteriological warfare against the United States, starting right there in Minnesota.

Don't allow the White House to stream that....

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

What they are up to, with Soviet financing, is the development of diseases to use in bacteriological warfare against the United States, starting right there in Minnesota.

We KNEW something was going on in Frostbite Falls!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Instead of making masks, tests, or vaccines, let's just make a Baymax for everyone! He can follow us around and scan us and cure us right away. Sounds good to me! :) *(from the Disney movie BIG HERO 6, in case you're scratching your heads)

hiro_and_baymax__heartwarming_hug_by_bla

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LonesomePolecat said:

Instead of making masks, tests, or vaccines, let's just make a Baymax for everyone! He can follow us around and scan us and cure us right away. Sounds good to me! :) *(from the Disney movie BIG HERO 6, in case you're scratching your heads)

hiro_and_baymax__heartwarming_hug_by_bla

This movie was so cute.  Who wouldn't want a Baymax?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MV5BODI1N2MwMmEtNTg5Yy00YWVmLWFhNzQtMWZiMV5BZWE1NThiZTctMTI3ZS00YTI5LTlkODEtNGM0

MV5BYTczOTM3ZjItZWE5YS00MjA3LWJmNTMtMDM2                                  MV5BMGRkOTU4NGYtZWQ5YS00OTNlLThjYWQtNTk1

MV5BY2Y4MTRlMjEtY2E2Yi00N2Y4LWJkMWYtNjc3MV5BOWY1NmRmNWUtNWNkZC00NjMzLThmZDktMTYx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't find any of those amusing ^^^

It already feels like all of us are living in a disaster/horror film. (and we stupidly signed for a portion of the profits instead of movie star pay)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...