Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LonesomePolecat

Coronavirus Film Festival -- movies that suddenly became relevant!

On 5/12/2020 at 4:50 PM, LonesomePolecat said:

Watching GUS on Disney+ right now (a movie we first enjoyed on Treasures from the Disney Vault on TCM) and I forgot this part where Gus the Mule runs through a grocery store! Talk about contamination. I'll never look at grocery stores the same way again -- I kept thinking how odd that the people weren't wearing masks and there were paper towels on the shelves! :oTHis moment in the movie is especially funny to me because he's in a Ralph's, which is my local grocery store. Get out of there, Gus!

--update: there was a shot of a shelf stocked with toilet paper. Such absurd fantasy! Disney expects us to believe this stuff? Science fiction!

jpeg

I was looking for the oils in aisle 5, right next to the can'd beans:

double-indemnity-1944-002-barbara-stanwy

• Haha 1

On 5/13/2020 at 5:25 PM, LonesomePolecat said:

It was portrayed in the Disney movie THE ONE AND ONLY GENUINE ORIGINAL FAMILY BAND through the lens of a family who moves to the newly settled Dakotas.

[pedantic bastard mode]

Of course, the Dakotas didn't attain statehood until 1889, so couldn't vote in the 1888 presidential election.

[/pedantic bastard mode]

1 hour ago, Fedya said:

[pedantic bastard mode]

Of course, the Dakotas didn't attain statehood until 1889, so couldn't vote in the 1888 presidential election.

[/pedantic bastard mode]

You mean Disney movies aren't historically accurate???!!!!?!?!!?!? I thought THE FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR was a documentary!!! [Throws out thesis on BEDKNOBS AND BROOMSTICKS ]

Although, to be fair, they address that in the movie--whether Dakota should split so the can have more votes, etc. But yeah, not a historical document. :)

• Haha 1

Jeez.  And I thought THE CAT FROM OUTER SPACE was based on a real-life incident . . .   :o

But, but, but . . . there are BLACK HOLES in the Universe so I know that one's accurate!  :)

• Haha 1

With all the cancelled graduation ceremonies this year, and since the 2020 virtual graduation is going on right now, I'm thinking of all the movies the class of 2020 can watch that have graduation ceremonies in them. These are the ones that come to mind:

CAROUSEL -- the graduation song is "You'll Never Walk Alone" -- good song for 2020

SINCE YOU WENT AWAY--it's even a graduation in uncertain times

DVJMXSnV4AENWSP.jpg

HIGH TIME

hightime.jpg

TROUBLE WITH ANGELS--love these outfits!

Ida-Lupino-The-Trouble-With-Angels-1966.

GOODBYE MR CHIPS --he dresses for graduation every day!

urOMHX7Gi8pAuwCNcBUuJGH04Ty.jpg?quality=

LEGALLY BLONDE
legally-blondegrad-2000.jpg&q=85

I REMEMBER MAMA -- all about the build up with the senior play and graduation gift

jpeg

BELLS OF ST MARY'S-- Joan Carroll almost doesn't graduate til Ingrid Bergman finds out she failed her final on purpose

2064.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=forma

BEST FOOT FORWARD

2 hours ago, LonesomePolecat said:

Any other graduation ceremonies in movies?

My personal favorite, She's All That.  Can't go wrong with a 90s teen movie!

• Like 1

There's a graduation scene in GOODBYE, FRANKLIN HIGH (1978). 

• Like 1

MV5BZjU2N2Y4NTQtNWU1Yi00YmUyLThlZTEtMTBl

The Quiet Duel (1949).

A surgeon gets syphilis from a patient when he cuts himself during an operation. The doctor's life is destroyed, but unlike the patient, he doesn't destroy others along with him.

• Like 1

Just found this little film gem -- Beware My Lovely -- on You Tube (can't guarantee it will be up for long).  It stars Ida Lupino and Robert Ryan.   It was by written by Mel Dinelli, who also wrote The Spiral Staircase,  House by the River, and Cause for Alarm.  It concerns a woman (Lupino) who invites a handyman (Ryan) over for an afternoon to do some chores, but soon discovers the handyman has some "chores" of his own in mind.   As with Spiral Staircase, all the major action takes place inside the house - a very claustrophobic environment.   No spoilers !   Full movie is available here - for as long as it's up !!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, LonesomePolecat said:

Any other graduation ceremonies in movies?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, cinecrazydc said:

Just found this little film gem -- Beware My Lovely -- on You Tube (can't guarantee it will be up for long).  It stars Ida Lupino and Robert Ryan.   It was by written by Mel Dinelli, who also wrote The Spiral Staircase,  House by the River, and Cause for Alarm.  It concerns a woman (Lupino) who invites a handyman (Ryan) over for an afternoon to do some chores, but soon discovers the handyman has some "chores" of his own in mind.   As with Spiral Staircase, all the major action takes place inside the house - a very claustrophobic environment.   No spoilers !   Full movie is available here - for as long as it's up !!!

Fantastic movie and very appropriate choice!

• Thanks 1

Watching the hospital section of I REMEMBER MAMA right now and freaking out about mama sneaking in! Don't go in there! The nurses don't even have masks on--nooooo!

Another fairly "enclosed" environment is found in the movie The Wreck of the Mary Deare, starring Gary Cooper and Charlton Heston.   They're both trapped below decks on a ship that may sink at any moment, and must overcome both nature and their mutual antagonisms if they are to survive.   

The Wreck of the Mary Deare FilmPoster.jpeg

• Like 1

This movie will never make the "TCM Underground," but that doesn't stop a lot of the action taking place deep within the earth !

Molly maguires movie poster.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cinecrazydc said:

This movie will never make the "TCM Underground," but that doesn't stop a lot of the action taking place deep within the earth !

Molly maguires movie poster.jpg

Coal miners, yes, so appropriate, especially for all the poor front line workers who are scared about working in a dangerous place. And now we can all relate to the claustrophobia of mining. HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY and OCTOBER SKY also come to mind.

Now when I watch a movie with a bank robbery I see the thieves in masks as normal and wonder why the rest of the bank isn't wearing masks. Example from KANSAS CITY CONFIDENTIAL--this looks totally normal to me now :)

kansas_city_confidential_1952_6_1.jpg?sh

Just remember, hospitals are overworked for the moment, and do not recommend that patients come in faking illnesses or trivial complaints:

• Haha 1

This Marx Brothers scene used to be funny, but now I'm terrified! I don't know which is worse, their close proximity or their being on a cruise ship! Get off!!!

fullwidth.504cf584.jpg

Is anyone gonna want to take a cruise after all these reports of people being quarantined on board for weeks on end? I'll never see a happy cruise ship movie without being a little nervous. Here are some movies on cruise ships that I will never watch the same way again:

LUXURY LINER

LIBELED LADY

HERBIE GOES BANANAS

"The Love Boat"

ONE WAY PASSAGE

ROYAL WEDDING

MONKEY BUSINESS

• Like 2

As big events are being closed left and right, this may be the only way you can attend a state fair this year:

Starfair1945poster.jpg