Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LonesomePolecat

Coronavirus Film Festival -- movies that suddenly became relevant!

We were speaking of MONK earlier, and I just noticed this funny video made last week of Monk dealing with the COVID-19 shutdown:

11 minutes ago, LonesomePolecat said:

As big events are being closed left and right, this may be the only way you can attend a state fair this year:

Don't miss it, don't even be late!   💲💲    🍩🍩

(Although the 1962 Pat Boone version may have been trying a little too hard to be "contemporary", and cash in on the Seattle World's Fair:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9jMCQGFftM )

• Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 2:56 PM, EricJ said:

Just remember, hospitals are overworked for the moment,

Actually, they're not.  The ER psychiatrist and hospital general counsel I know both report that because of the prohibitions on elective surgeries and people unwilling to have health problems checked that they might have gone to a doctor or ER for in the past, hospitals are emptier than normal and a surprising number of doctors are getting furloughs.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Fedya said:

Actually, they're not.  The ER psychiatrist and hospital general counsel I know both report that because of the prohibitions on elective surgeries and people unwilling to have health problems checked that they might have gone to a doctor or ER for in the past, hospitals are emptier than normal and a surprising number of doctors are getting furloughs.

Probably depends on the hospital. The ones around here are swamped, but we're in a hot spot. Though the emergency rooms are weirdly quiet, so it depends.

• Like 1

Speaking of cancelled events, I am still incredibly depressed about the Hollywood Bowl cancelling its whole season.

July-4th-Fireworks-Spectacular-with-The-

Been going multiple times every summer since I was a little baby and it just won't be summer without it. (Good thing I went 12 times last summer). So I'll have to go to the Bowl in these movies:

IT'S A GREAT FEELING

great-feeling-day-morgan-carson-hollywoo

ANCHORS AWEIGH

DOUBLE INDEMNITY

HollywoodBowl2_DoubleIndemnity.jpg

HOLLYWOOD HOTEL

Dick%20Powell%201937%20In%20Hollywood%20

MOONLIGHT MURDER-- a Murder at the Bowl! (See the Bowl on the bottom of the poster)

MV5BOTEzYTgwNDktYjUyYS00ODQ5LWIyNWEtMjRm

HOLLYWOOD OR BUST-- this is back when the Bowl had a pool in front instead of expensive seating

3b20fdfa6df6e2754394214dcb6cc8a4.jpg

CHAMPAGNE FOR CAESAR:

Screen+shot+2013-03-12+at+8.12.27+PM.png

TOM AND JERRY AT THE HOLLYWOOD BOWL -- he's now in front of the Bowl by the famous art deco statue at the entrance:

maxresdefault.jpg

MV5BNmI5ZGIwZDgtMWVlNS00YmU0LTlmN2EtMzFk

Bugs Bunny destroyed the Bowl in LONG HAIRED HARE:

1 hour ago, Fedya said:

The hospital which we use has a satellite location where they perform lab work and do imaging. The ban on elective surgeries and the closing of doctors' offices meant closing of that facility and furloughing of all the staff there. They furloughed also much of the office staff and certain classifications of nurses, doctors and technicians at the hospital itself. They are re-opening now on a limited basis.

We both have blood work done on a regular schedule. We prefer to use the satellite location because their operation is more refined and so there is less waiting. We had to go to the hospital for the draws when the satellite was closed. It seemed eerily empty. The main courtyard was often deserted and we were often the only people in the waiting area. I did not ever look into the Emergency Room waiting area but I had a sense that it had little use.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SansFin said:

The hospital which we use has a satellite location where they perform lab work and do imaging. The ban on elective surgeries and the closing of doctors' offices meant closing of that facility and furloughing of all the staff there. They furloughed also much of the office staff and certain classifications of nurses, doctors and technicians at the hospital itself. They are re-opening now on a limited basis.

We both have blood work done on a regular schedule. We prefer to use the satellite location because their operation is more refined and so there is less waiting. We had to go to the hospital for the draws when the satellite was closed. It seemed eerily empty. The main courtyard was often deserted and we were often the only people in the waiting area. I did not ever look into the Emergency Room waiting area but I had a sense that it had little use.

I have to go for blood tests in a few weeks. Not looking forward to it, as I go to the NYU Medical Center, which has been in the forefront of treating Covid-19 patients. However, a rating of New York City's hospitals gave NYU one of its few "A" ratings for cleanliness. Interestingly, I heard from someone that the nearby Beth Israel, which is a branch of Mount Sinai Hospital, has no Covid-19 patients at the moment, which is a sign of how NYC is improving.

https://patch.com/new-york/new-york-city/nyc-hospital-safety-grades-2020-best-worst

One thing I am struggling with, is that I have not taken my medication (Enbrel) for arthritis, since I feel that this is not the time to take an immunosuppressant. Years ago, Plaquenil (Hydroxychloroquine) was an option for me, but better medications became available. I have a video appointment with my rheumatologist tomorrow, will ask his advice.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Leopold! Leopold!

And a good 60 years before Amazon, he gets his orders delivered with lightning speed!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Swithin said:

One thing I am struggling with, is that I have not taken my medication (Enbrel) for arthritis, since I feel that this is not the time to take an immunosuppressant. Years ago, Plaquenil (Hydroxychloroquine) was an option for me, but better medications became available. I have a video appointment with my rheumatologist tomorrow, will ask his advice.

It is rarely a good idea to stop taking medication unless you are experiencing side effects. People who discontinue their routine are as bad as people who self-medicate!

There has not been sufficient time nor enough people affected to make even generalized statements concerning taking immunosuppressants during this outbreak. A little work has been done and the very preliminary indications are fortunately good. You may be interested in this letter which concludes: "These findings suggest that the baseline use of biologics is not associated with worse Covid-19 outcomes." 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LonesomePolecat said:

This is all so interesting--these first hand accounts!

This is indeed an outbreak in which first-hand accounts are important because the severity has been so very localized. You can get a feeling of this by looking at the map on: https://usafacts.org/visualizations/coronavirus-covid-19-spread-map/   You may note that there are small grey squares which indicate counties with no confirmed cases of the disease at all! 

Researchers state: "While 1% of counties have more than half of all COVID-19 deaths in the U.S., 63% of counties have no more than one COVID-19 death each—and both groups represent the same share of the U.S. population. (15%)"

• Like 1

THAT MOTHERS MIGHT LIVE -- Oscar Winning short about the doctor who gave the simple live-saving advice that continues to this very day: wash your hands!

10 hours ago, LonesomePolecat said:

Speaking of cancelled events, I am still incredibly depressed about the Hollywood Bowl cancelling its whole season.

Been going multiple times every summer since I was a little baby and it just won't be summer without it. (Good thing I went 12 times last summer). So I'll have to go to the Bowl in these movies:

And don't forget Monty Python: Live at the Hollywood Bowl (1982),

And, of course, Xanadu:

Bowl+1.jpg

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, SansFin said:

It is rarely a good idea to stop taking medication unless you are experiencing side effects. People who discontinue their routine are as bad as people who self-medicate!

There has not been sufficient time nor enough people affected to make even generalized statements concerning taking immunosuppressants during this outbreak. A little work has been done and the very preliminary indications are fortunately good. You may be interested in this letter which concludes: "These findings suggest that the baseline use of biologics is not associated with worse Covid-19 outcomes." 

Thanks -- interesting article, by authors from the medical center I use. Just had a video visit with my rheumatologist, who urged me to resume treatment. Anti-inflammatory RA drugs sometimes actually have paradoxical beneficial effects, since they reduce inflammation. Just gave myself a shot.

• Like 2

The Horseman on the Roof (1995) is an excellent French film (Le hussard sur le toit) that takes place in 1832, during a cholera pandemic in southern France.

the-horseman-on-the-roof-aka-le-hussard-

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Swithin said:

The Horseman on the Roof (1995) is an excellent French film (Le hussard sur le toit) that takes place in 1832, during a cholera pandemic in southern France.

the-horseman-on-the-roof-aka-le-hussard-

That looks great!

Weird side effect of the covid depression -- no travel and no purchasing means LA has a mega excess of unsold new cars and unused rental cars, so they are parking them in stadium parking lots all over the country. I drove by one of these parking lots a few days ago and wondered who all those people were parked at the race track, til I read the article in the Times. Didn't occur to me that if no one is flying into our airports, no one is renting a car to drive out of the airport, and all those cars have to go somewhere. Here's a picture of Dodger Stadium LOADED with cars, but with no people at the stadium. This somehow is freakier than an empty parking lot:

531925-me-rental-cars-rcg-051.jpg

This reminded me of the loads of unused planes in THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES -- "From the factory to the scrap heap. What we could have done with those in '42!"

560x315mv.jpg

The-Best-Years-of-Our-Lives-19466.png?ss

My great Aunt Recha (Carl Laemmle's wife) died during the 1918 flu pandemic. It's scary to see companies declaring bankruptcy, or even the pictures of the stadiums of unused cars like above ... I keep wondering what things will be the same and what will be permanently changed after all this.  I'm disappointed there are so many cancelled events, but I do think it's for the best. Here's a video I made about how Universal handled the flu ... there are a lot of ways history is repeating itself today:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, antoniacarlotta said:

My great Aunt Recha (Carl Laemmle's wife) died during the 1918 flu pandemic. It's scary to see companies declaring bankruptcy, or even the pictures of the stadiums of unused cars like above ... I keep wondering what things will be the same and what will be permanently changed after all this.  I'm disappointed there are so many cancelled events, but I do think it's for the best. Here's a video I made about how Universal handled the flu ... there are a lot of ways history is repeating itself today:

That is fascinating! I didn't know the studios bought the movie houses because of the flu epidemic. Interesting facts. ANd thanks for reminding people that disease has nothing to do with politics. It makes me sad how this whole thing has pulled us apart instead of bringing us closer together.

We're all wondering about the future of entertainment and movie theaters. Today most of Hollywood is shut down, but my brother's sound mixing work never even slowed down.  We joked that he's the only man in L.A. who worked in April. :) We know movies will never go away, and people will still want to go out to do something, but maybe seeing a movie in a theater will stop being the huge daily activity it has been, and become a "once in a while" event like live theater.

3 hours ago, LonesomePolecat said:

We're all wondering about the future of entertainment and movie theaters. Today most of Hollywood is shut down, but my brother's sound mixing work never even slowed down.  We joked that he's the only man in L.A. who worked in April. :) We know movies will never go away, and people will still want to go out to do something, but maybe seeing a movie in a theater will stop being the huge daily activity it has been, and become a "once in a while" event like live theater.

Variety just released the results of a survey where 70% of those asked said they'd rather watch a first-run movie at home on digital rental than see it in a movie theater if costs are about the same and they have the choice (an additional 17% were "unsure.") . 37% of those surveyed said they'll go less often to a movie theater. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, antoniacarlotta said:

Variety just released the results of a survey where 70% of those asked said they'd rather watch a first-run movie at home on digital rental than see it in a movie theater if costs are about the same and they have the choice (an additional 17% were "unsure.") . 37% of those surveyed said they'll go less often to a movie theater. 

The only problem is--since the studios still dream that the in-home quarantine will "save" digital rental from the humiliating consumer-pantsing it took from '11-'18--they're NOT the same price.

The studios usually wanted to push sales, and usually bulk sales, of digital titles over rental, and with the new "In-Home Premieres", many are either sale-only at $19.99, or for "special theatrical-exclusive" rent also at $19.99.   How long would a Blockbuster that charged $20 rentals stay in business?

(We will now hear from the diehard defenders trying to demonize multiplex theaters with "Yeah, but they charge $20 for the popcorn, so it works out even!")

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EricJ said:

The only problem is--since the studios still dream that the in-home quarantine will "save" digital rental from the humiliating consumer-pantsing it took from '11-'18--they're NOT the same price.

The studios usually wanted to push sales, and usually bulk sales, of digital titles over rental, and with the new "In-Home Premieres", many are either sale-only at $19.99, or for "special theatrical-exclusive" rent also at $19.99.   How long would a Blockbuster that charged $20 rentals stay in business?

(We will now hear from the diehard defenders trying to demonize multiplex theaters with "Yeah, but they charge $20 for the popcorn, so it works out even!")

Around here movie prices are $12-$18 per ticket, so that's already cheaper than a date. FOr the whole family? It's a real bargain! :)  But I'm with you--I wouldn't pay $20 to watch a movie on my couch. Too Scottish. I'd just wait a few weeks for it to be free on some streaming service.

I do think, though, if movie theaters want people back, they're gonna have to do better, not just on cleanliness, but on "why should I come in at all?" Back in the 20s the gimmick was to make people feel like a king with red carpets, plush seating, air conditioning, and ushers in fancy uniforms. In the 50s when the major threat was TV, they delivered on the various widescreen formats--Cinemascope, Cinerama, VistaVision, etc. (3D has been tried on many attempts but the novelty soon wears off). So I'm expecting some other new innovation or customer service gimmick to bring people in. It ain't over til it's over.

On 5/15/2020 at 6:29 AM, Bogie56 said:

MV5BNTY5NzM2YzQtZDQ5ZS00M2RlLWJmOTItMWFk

Matt Corbin, a vacationing magazine writer, takes a fishing trip to Minnesota, and stumbles across a lake in which all the fish have mysteriously died. The locals are tight-lipped about it, but Corbin learns that a group of former-Nazis-turned-Communists have purchased a lodge on an island in the middle of the fish-killing lake, and have built some kind of laboratory. Never one to pass up a chance to sell a story to a magazine, Matt decides to investigate. His only ally is Janet Keller, the sister of the local doctor who has been caught up in whatever those nefarious Commie-Nazis are up to. What they are up to, with Soviet financing, is the development of diseases to use in bacteriological warfare against the United States, starting right there in Minnesota.

^^^ This. ^^^

About once every 6 months or so I catalog all the movies I recently recorded into a master list, just to keep my movie collection "ISO-compliant", so I know what I have and where I can find it.  Oddly enough this was shown just this past January!  Imagine that...  http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/forum-twisted.gif   Looks interesting though, I think I'll watch it soon.

• Like 1