Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LonesomePolecat

Coronavirus Film Festival -- movies that suddenly became relevant!

LOL

Boy, what I wouldn't give to be the proverbial fly-on-the-wall in the household of the two previous posters and whenever discussions commence!

(...although I don't think it's physically possible for flies to laugh out loud, is it)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

It isn't pretty when they do.

Oh, I'LL bet it'd at least be quite entertaining, anyway!

(...I'm imagining a high-brow The Honeymooners sort'a thing, myself)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

(...although I don't think it's physically possible for flies to laugh out loud, is it)

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Capuchin said:

Before anyone asks (not that you would, you're all too polite), yes, she does have a favorite song about shore leave. And a favorite about a storm far out at sea, and a favorite about pulling up to a dock, and a favorite about seeing an island on the horizon. All this, and she can't stand to be on a boat! I doubt she knows a single song which could be sung in polite company. She should stick to movies.

• Haha 2

Covid seems to have brought back Drive In Movies!

hqdefault.jpg

Hopefully no one brings That Darn Cat along

tdc020.jpg

MV5BMDNkNDg0YzAtZjZmYS00MTU4LTk5MmUtYTFm

Looks like in GREASE they're showing Martin & Lewis in HOLLYWOOD OR BUST

dSRROO2PvvVuF1FkyA1gxsCOIlb3kEr0CW8CY9gA

You never know who you'll meet at the drive in...

mayo-wycherly-and-cagney.jpg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, LonesomePolecat said:

Covid seems to have brought back Drive In Movies!  

Looks like in GREASE they're showing Martin & Lewis in HOLLYWOOD OR BUST

For those distracted from Danny's tragedy by dancing hot dogs, Amazon Prime's talent for digging up any content-provider's repackaging of old public-domain content has also unearthed several full-length collections of 50's-70's Drive-In concessions "countdowns",  from the old days when you had...TEN MINUTES left to enjoy our sizzling hot dogs, cool refreshing drinks, and crunchy popcorn--Everybody's favorite!  🍿🌭

I've actually taken to playing one of the ten-minute countdowns  before putting a Blu-ray in the player, while getting the microwave popcorn and bottle of Coke Zero from the kitchen:   https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Movie-Ads-Sprocket-Flicks/dp/B079Q5VGND

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Capuchin said:

Before anyone asks (not that you would, you're all too polite), yes, she does have a favorite song about shore leave. And a favorite about a storm far out at sea, and a favorite about pulling up to a dock, and a favorite about seeing an island on the horizon. All this, and she can't stand to be on a boat! I doubt she knows a single song which could be sung in polite company. She should stick to movies.

She probably also has a favorite song about going into the woods at night and teaching the wolves how to say her name, but I'm afraid to ask. 

That distantly reminds me of this. 

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Scheherazade-by-Rimsky-Korsakov

In response to crummy recordings of folklore,  here's a good way to spend almost an hour.  With a glass of wine.  Everything is perfect about this recording and performance. 

There are a couple sea themes in here, and in particular at 44 minutes in (4th movement) a boat hits an iceberg and the "sailors" literally yell out (unique to this conductor and performance).

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Dargo said:

Boy, what I wouldn't give to be the proverbial fly-on-the-wall in the household of the two previous posters and whenever discussions commence!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Dargo said:

LOL

It is not like that. He is teasing me because a friend from home sent newly made CDs of classic sailor songs of dubious propriety. I will admit that I may have been playing them a little excessively for his taste and use 'repeat' frequently for some which are great fun. I did hit him with a rubber chicken for his impudence. That does make me feel a little guilty because it was a gift from him to replace my old one which had become quite tattered and no longer squawked. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

That distantly reminds me of this. 

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Scheherazade-by-Rimsky-Korsakov

In response to crummy recordings of folklore,  here's a good way to spend almost an hour.  With a glass of wine.  Everything is perfect about this recording and performance. 

There are a couple sea themes in here, and in particular at 44 minutes in (4th movement) a boat hits an iceberg and the "sailors" literally yell out (unique to this conductor and performance).

Truly classical! I thank you for posting that.

I am ashamed to say that the songs to which I have been listening recently are quite more 'Earthy' than that even although they are mostly set at sea.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SansFin said:

Truly classical! I thank you for posting that.

I am ashamed to say that the songs to which I have been listening recently are quite more 'Earthy' than that even although they are mostly set at sea.

As Henry Higgins sang, "Now all at once you're using language that would make a sailor blush!"

• Like 2

Weird to think how simple and naive our lives were last February. Thought of this wonderful song by the Sherman Brothers from SNOOPY COME HOME: "Just when you think that you know where you stand, that's when the scenery changes." Richard Sherman said in an interview that he was expressing the feelings he had the day Walt Disney suddenly died.

• Like 2

I just saw this headline: "French Restaurants Experiment with Plastic Domes for Diners" and this picture:

5ecfce8a3f73707bb32de8e5?width=600&forma

My first thought was "The Cone of Silence" from GET SMART :)

Get_Smart-Cone-of-silence.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Today I heard the news that the Westfield malls in L.A. county will reopen this weekend and next week (with modified rules of course), so here's the ANIMANIACS song I always sing when I go to the mall:

"In the mall, in the mall, in the glorious mall

We'll find the perfect gift for Dr Scratchensniff!"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LonesomePolecat said:

My first thought was "The Cone of Silence" from GET SMART :)

Get_Smart-Cone-of-silence.jpg

Which cone?  The one where they couldn't hear each other, the one where the echo reverberated too much, or the one that kept lowering all the way to the ground?  😄

• Haha 2

On 5/27/2020 at 5:40 PM, SansFin said:

He is teasing me because a friend from home sent newly made CDs of classic sailor songs of dubious propriety.

To be fair, women and seamen don't mix.

• Haha 2

Anyone else having trouble sleeping from the stress? Well, here's Ernie to help you "Dance Yourself to Sleep". Nothing like SESAME STREET to cheer your up :)

• Like 1

I go to YouTube and look up various 'ambience' uploads to endeavor to relax.  Must be a thousand or more 'ambiences' there to choose from. 

Campfire night sounds, Ocean storm sounds, Windy winter blizzard sounds, Rain sounds and distant train sounds, et cetera.  Just LOADS to pick from for your listening pleasure.   

I really like these two from 'Autumn Cozy' that each run an hour:  PUMPKIN PATCH AMBIENCE -and- AUTUMN FARM AMBIENCE.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LonesomePolecat said:

Anyone else having trouble sleeping from the stress? Well, here's Ernie to help you "Dance Yourself to Sleep". Nothing like SESAME STREET to cheer your up :)

I am very sorry to say that Bert and Ernie are forever ruined for me because of all the memes which use innocent pictures of the pair and attribute grotesque, brutal and extremely funny reasons for what is depicted. I suggest strongly that you limit searches for the duo to YouTube and not widen your search  to include sites such as Imgur.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SansFin said:

I am very sorry to say that Bert and Ernie are forever ruined for me because of all the memes which use innocent pictures of the pair and attribute grotesque, brutal and extremely funny reasons for what is depicted. I suggest strongly that you limit searches for the duo to YouTube and not widen your search  to include sites such as Imgur.

Oh I know -- never search for anything online without many modifiers. Especially never search for a movie title that is just a girls' name like "Lili" or "Gigi" without adding "movie" and the year and the star! I have learned that the hard way :o

1 hour ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I go to YouTube and look up various 'ambience' uploads to endeavor to relax.  Must be a thousand or more 'ambiences' there to choose from. 

Campfire night sounds, Ocean storm sounds, Windy winter blizzard sounds, Rain sounds and distant train sounds, et cetera.  Just LOADS to pick from for your listening pleasure.   

I really like these two from 'Autumn Cozy' that each run an hour:  PUMPKIN PATCH AMBIENCE -and- AUTUMN FARM AMBIENCE.  

That is a great idea! Here's a movie one for LOTR :)

• Like 1